Newby.. Anyone still post here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britsmom
    started a topic Newby.. Anyone still post here?

Newby.. Anyone still post here?

Hi, I'm new here. My daughter is in the NC Correctional Institute for Women in Raleigh. She just got there 3 weeks ago so we are very new to this nightmare. Right now I'm just checking to see if anyone still posts here. From what I see, it looks like most of the posts are old.

• CentralOH
    replied
    North Carolina does have something called Advanced Supervised Release, commonly referred to as ASR. It is a very complicated law, and not all offenders are eligible. You can read a little bit about it here:

http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/?p=2901

If your daughter is an eligible offender, she may qualify for ASR after completing 80% of her minimum sentence. If her minimum is 41 months, then 80% would be about 33 months, which is about 8 months less than 41 months. So it is possible that what her lawyer said is accurate.

The link I provided is an article from a fairly reputable source, i.e., the University of North Carolina School of Government. But the article is from 2011, so it may not be the most up-to-date information.

Note, also, that ASR is only available for offenders who are convicted on or after January 1, 2012--regardless of the date of the offense. What this means is that there are a lot of prisoners sentenced under the "old law" who will never be eligible for ASR, and must serve their minimum. This may be what your daughter is hearing about from other prisoners, who may not understand the new law.

It may not seem fair, but that's the way it is. Someone who committed a crime, say, in April, 2011, and then pleaded guilty and was convicted in December, 2011, is not eligible for ASR. But someone who committed a crime in June, 2011, and then pleaded guilty and was convicted in January, 2012, may be eligible for ASR.

CentralOH

Leave a comment:

• dtmom2013
    replied
    Hi! Welcome to Jpay! It seems a lot of the time the attorneys say things to get them to plea, unfortunately. Hopefully she will be released early.

Leave a comment:

• Britsmom
    replied
    Aww, thank you everyone for your support. My daughters name is actually Brittany, but half of the time we call her Brit or Brit Brat,,lol. She is 24 and is basically a good girl but became friends with the wrong people I'm sure most of you can relate. If they would just listen to us!! lol
    She has been sentenced to 41 to 62 months. Her court appointed lawyer said that she would get out 9 months sooner than her minimum if she does good, but after she got in there, she said that everyone in there said that that's not true, that you have to serve your minimum?

Leave a comment:

• bellaisa1
    replied
    Welcome to JPay

Leave a comment:

• Fifi
    replied
    Welcome. Its a good site for you to talk. Thereare lots of active sites. TC&GB

Leave a comment:

• jackiedove
    replied
    Hi Britsmom, my daughter just went to prison 2-1/2 months ago. It is a nightmare, but this forum and all the helpful, kind people here have made the nightmare a little less stressful. They are a great support. Sending prayers your way.

Leave a comment:

• CowboysBaby
    replied
    Welcome to Jpay , I'm sure you are going through a nightmare , as a matter of fact we all have been there ......So please don't hesitate to ask questions , There is 2 ladies that without them we would still be lost , They are : TexasDust and Khernandez they are our Jpay Mamas , I know I would be so lost without them ....So once again welcome to Jpay Britsmom

Leave a comment:

• Yogi_Kai
    replied
    Welcome to JPay, Britsmom. It just so happens that "Brit" is my legal name, though I am known in many places as Kai, now. There is a function at the top of the page entitled, "New Posts", if you are not gone from the forum for a long time, this is a great place to go to learn who has posted replies to your posts. May your daughter's time be light and may she reap from the experience that which will cause her happiness and joy....and a trouble-free life.

Leave a comment:

• khernandez
    replied
    Hello and Welcome to the JPay Forum!

Leave a comment:

• helen1961
    replied
    Welcome To J-Pay Britsmom Glad U Joined

Leave a comment:

• welderswife
    replied
    Welcome to Jpay. You will find lots of information, advice and support here.

Leave a comment:

• Chulasc
    replied
    Welcome Britsmom!

Leave a comment:

• Britsmom
    replied
    Thank you for the welcome Southernfoodluva!

Leave a comment:

• southernfoodluva
    replied
    Welcome to the forum! Some states have more "action" on their forum than others.... Texas being the most active. Hope you find lotsa help & support on this forum. You are amongst people who understand and who care!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X