No announcement yet.

Worried about no letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for ya and happy that you got a response. You also have her Moms correct phone number to, so that will help ya.
    The pic didn't sound too wrong to me, but who am I? Just an outsider looking in and doing what they allow us to do for our LO's in there.
    Hope that he mail continues for ya. TC&GB

Comment

Well,,,a week is a long time! Last week I called her mother in NC, and she answered the phone this time. She didn't seem surprised as my friend had told her all about me and the plan to call. We had a long chat (It's okay, I have an international calling card that reduces the cost significantly) and she's told me things about my friend that haven't been put in her letters; basically things about where she's staying and certain condtions surrounding her 'residency'. My friend has tried to call me three times and all three times when I've pressed '5' on my phone the call hasn't connected. I called her mother a few days later to give her the details of funds transfer from my end of things and she was incredibly grateful and wouldn't stop thanking me.

I also explained about the calls not transferring to me, and to tell my friend that I'm not avoiding her! So I called GTL and was told by the person that I had to e mail (GTL address) and wait their reply! I found their website instead and left a message on their contact form and someone got back to me. It seems (and you really won't believe this!!) because I'm not in the USA in far off foreignland (UK) the rules stipulated by your all caring DHS prevent such calls. Exactly how is someone in a prison going to influence international security?

Anyway, I have to transfer (via WU) to a phone fund that she can use to call me. But I'm taking more positives than negatives from the last few days. Her mother has a plan for us to chat when she gets a call from her daughter so we can talk on speakerphone, we'll see how that goes! They'd spoken after I spoke to her mother and apparently she was very excited that we'd spoken and was going to tell her friends that her 'English guy' had been in touch.

Sorry if the above is a bit disjointed but I've typed it as it's come to mind.
      It's in total silence that we can often hear things the loudest. And other pretentious nonesense!

Comment

I am not the least bit surprised - these DOC's make everything way harder than it has to be. But where there's a will there's a way, and it sounds like you are finding it! Good for you for not giving up! Let us know how the calls go!!!
        "What's meant to be will find a way."

Comment

Hi English Guy, I am glad you got a letter and then you were able to make a phone call. Have you thought about getting a local number for where she is is possible so that she can call you like that? I got through my tel company a local number as a virtual number for where my friend is but there are other methods that have been mentioned here as well... just a suggestion for a direct call between you and her...

Comment

I'm glad you heard from her

Comment

Yes, Geraldine has been in touch and put me onto having a virtual local number. I'm going to sort that out very shortly. I didn't even know that was possible--shows what I know!
              It's in total silence that we can often hear things the loudest. And other pretentious nonesense!

Comment

It has worked very well for me. That is wonderful that Geraldine is helping you out. It will be a lot better you having direct calls from her. I learned about it in here! That is why I always say that it is a good place to come to because we learn a lot from the women and men here. I hope you get it English Guy...

Comment

Okay...I've set up my Skype number (Local number to her) and put some credit on (a month)...I now have to inform my friend (via her mother who I can call) to put my skype number on her preferred list, yes? How will I now she's calling me if I'm not on skype? Or do I have to pay more for call forwarding? Sorry I appear stupid but what am I missing??

Comment

Right, I've now in order spoken to her mother, her daughter (who called me) and last night I spoke to my friend. The call forwarding worked as promised (I can't thank Geraldine enough for her help on this) and after pressing '5' she said 'Hi, it's me!'. It was really good to hear her, and she sounded pretty much as I expected. As we get only 15 minutes, I guess we'll need to pre plan what it is we want to say. The upside is that as 'my' number is local to her, it won't be too expensive.

She apparently had sent me a Valantines card, but it was returned to her with the stamps taken off. She wasn't happy at all about that, but it must be really frustrating for her as she can't find out why or who. Anyway, neither of us has any letters currently in the system so we're up to speed with things.

Comment

That's Great News English Guy!

I'm so glad you finally were able to make the connection with her on the phone.

JPay Service
                      Help Link
                      JPay'sRules for ForumMembers

Download the JPay Mobile App at the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store

Comment

Happy that you got to talk and more in future. Yes, I write down anything I wanna say cause the 15 minutes fly by. Stamps taken off the card? That's not right. So happy her Mom is helping ya. Looks like its going in a good and positive road for ya both. TC&GB

Comment

Originally posted by Fifi View Post
                          Happy that you got to talk and more in future. Yes, I write down anything I wanna say cause the 15 minutes fly by. Stamps taken off the card? That's not right. So happy her Mom is helping ya. Looks like its going in a good and positive road for ya both. TC&GB

Yes, she seemed resigned to it when she told me, which hit me as being pretty sad and outrageous in equal parts, and although I didn't say anything (because I know the call was probably being monitored, as did she) I wanted to say something to express how I felt. Why would anyone be so petty and mean spirited to take the stapms from an envelope of a card she was sending out, and then give her the card back!!? It's just rubbing her nose in it. "Hey *****, we took the stamps, but have your card back" (insert expletive here).

:-(

Comment

Hi.. I am new to this. My daughter is in North Carolina Correctional Institute for Women in Raleigh, NC. I think that's the same place that your friend is at, English Guy?
                            Can anyone answer this question for me.. My daughter has been calling me a couple of times a week only because the phone calls are so expensive with Global Tel Link. I heard that I could get a local Google number and I did. Now, the question is.. In order for her to call me on the Google number will I have to send her money for a phone card? I would rather pre pay somehow because with the phone card she could use that to call other people, right? I don't want her calling everyone else if I'm paying for it, ya know!?

Comment

English Guy, I know you must be happy you finally got to speak to your friend, but what concerns me is that you were told by GlobalTel that it is a Department of Homeland Security law that forbids inmates from calling overseas. And then you mentioned your calls were probably monitored.... which I had forgotten about that likelihood, and yes they probably are. I dunno, got me a bit worried. I do not think it would be a happy outcome for you or her if you get found out doing something in violation of a DHS law.
                              "The burden is not so heavy....when we all lighten each other's load"

Comment

Working...
                              X