Marriage By Proxy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage By Proxy

Hi. My son recently got put in prison and wants to get married by proxy with his girlfriend. We live in NM and the nearest state is Texas that does marriage by proxy. However when we took all the paperwork to El Paso TX , they said that the birth certificate we had from NM was not valid and that we needed the "LONG FORM". She also said that NM does not make the "LONG FORMS" anymore. Soooooo, how in the world is he supposed to get married?! HELP!! He has until July 13 to get married and I am out of ideas as to what I am supposed to do. I am sure others have had this same problem. How can I get them married with the "short form" birth certificate?

If his driver's license is current you don't need the birth certificate - at least I didn't need it in Dallas County. All I had to show them was the form he signed and his driver's license and they made a copy of it. Call the county clerk and ask if you can use that if it isn't expired. And if they say no call the next county over - each county makes their own rules! Good luck!!
    "What's meant to be will find a way."

Comment

I got married by proxy two years ago and I had to show his Original birth certificate along with my Id,birth certificate and the marriage proxy paper work. I'm not sure how NM does there birth certificates but here in Houston I was able to go to the birth certificate office and they printed me out an original birth certificate that same day.

Comment

Thank you, both! Yeah NM does not make long form birth certificates and Texas requires those. He has been locked up since he was 16 years old and never got his drivers license. I am so confused as to what to do. If TX knows that NM does not make those kind of birth certificates why wont they work with that? Ugh!! He just told me that he heard he could get married by phone. Is that true? And he also mentioned that they do not do jail/prison wedding ceremonies.

Comment

I would call another county close to the border and ask them what they require and if they say "long form" say there is only 1 kind of birth certificate in New Mexico. My children were born in Alamogordo in 1989 and 1991 and all I have is a short form for each of them! If it doesn't exist how can they make you bring it? Anyhow, the rules are different for different counties, see if you can find a friendly one! Good luck.
          "What's meant to be will find a way."

Comment

Gosh, I'm so nervous. It is true that as of September 1st, the incarcerated will no longer be able to marry by proxy in Texas. We will be cutting it close but we need to be sure to get it right the first time. Ilovewoodard, how were you able to get his birth certificate if you weren't married yet. I'm just trying to figure out if I will have to get his mom to get it for us. I need to call the county clerks office tomorrow I guess cuz we will only have 2 weeks to get this done.

Comment

I just got married last week by proxy in Houston. When u download their form it only asks for him to notorize the proxy paperwork and provide copy of inmate Id that has name and date of birth. Since my husbands tdcj Id didn't have his dob I took his birth certificate and social security card with me. The lady was nice n had no issues, so we are legal now. Good luck

Comment

Thank you so much. I am his mom and I am trying to get this information for my daughter in law (to be) because my son just turned 18 and has been locked up for the past two years and his girlfriend is also young and doesn't know what to do either. I just want to help them out as much as I can from the "outside". I will have to look into the other counties. Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!!

Comment

What is a proxy wedding?
                  Always his, Mrs. Flores

Comment

Originally posted by Loka View Post
                    What is a proxy wedding?
                    It was the wedding were another person stood in for him/her whatever your choice is

Comment

Proxy weddings

I would like to get married legally to my husband while he is in there, does anyone know if that is possible or what the procedure is for Texas?
                      Always his, Mrs. Flores

Comment

sorry to tell you, but they no longer do marriage by proxy. I called the prison where my husband is. I have been trying to speak with the chaplain, but have had no luck. Try calling the unit where your loved one is, and ask to speak to the chaplain, and he can answer your questions. When you find out, then you can let me know, or vice versa. Good luck!

Comment

I know that in Texas as of October 1st you can no longer do Marriage by Proxy.. sorry guys..

Comment

I just called the Chaplain in Huntsville asking him about getting married, and he told me that a law was passed as of Sept. 1, 2013. that anyone who is incarcerated at TDC can no longer get married while in there. Sorry guys!

Comment

Originally posted by connieducks View Post
                              I just called the Chaplain in Huntsville asking him about getting married, and he told me that a law was passed as of Sept. 1, 2013. that anyone who is incarcerated at TDC can no longer get married while in there. Sorry guys!
                              I wonder what made then pass that law. I think they just want to make everyone as miserable as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X