Transfering to other States ...Crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering to other States ...Crazy

sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-florida-prison-population-bn060809,0,3536685.story
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    New law says Florida prisoners can be shipped to other states
    Strategy for overpopulation seen as a last resort

Steve Bousquet

Miami Herald Tallahassee Bureau

2:12 AM EDT, June 8, 2009

TALLAHASSEE

Florida, famous for shipping orange juice all over the country, may yet be known for a very different kind of export: criminals.

With the inmate population hovering around 100,000 and the state lacking money to build new prisons, the Legislature has given the corrections department the authority to ship inmates to other states for the first time.

''It's a safety valve,'' says the plan's sponsor, Sen. Victor Crist, a Tampa Republican who oversees prison spending. ``This is not a mandate. It's a passive safety net.''

Crist said shipping prisoners would be considered only as a last resort to avoid the early release of inmates because of overpopulation. The cost would be agreed upon in talks with the receiving states.

A prison bill (SB 1722) effective July 1 allows the state to ship inmates to state-run or private prisons in other states.

The nation's largest private prison company, Corrections Corporation of America, houses prisoners from eight states, including California, and has long promoted the transfer idea in Florida, without success. Sen. Crist insists he came to this idea himself and not at the behest of the prison industry.

CCA calls itself ''the leader in out-of-state housing'' on its website. It operates 62 prisons and has thousands of surplus beds in other states that it is eager to fill with convicted felons, and Florida has the nation's third-largest prison system.

A year ago, CCA urged the Legislature to follow 15 other states that export inmates, calling it ''cost-effective.'' The idea went nowhere, but that was before the bottom fell out of the economy and the state budget collapsed with a $6-billion shortfall.

''This is not a new issue,'' said CCA's Tallahassee lobbyist, Matt Bryan. ``This just gives the state another option to deal with a potential rapid influx of new inmates.''

Bryan noted that building a new 1,300-bed prison costs about $100 million. Next year's budget will be the first in recent memory with no money set aside for new prison construction.

Exporting inmates may never come to pass because Florida's inmate population has stabilized in recent months and has fallen below earlier projections. In fact, a new, 3,300-bed prison in rural Suwannee County is built but not yet fully open.

The prison population was at about 101,000 this week and the bed capacity is about 106,000. The population fluctuates daily and is constantly affected by the need to move prisoners who have special needs or for disciplinary reasons.

UNENTHUSIASTIC

Corrections Secretary Walt McNeil is not enthusiastic about exporting prisoners. He said it undermines the goal of reducing recidivism by encouraging inmates to build ties to the communities they will return to upon their release from prison.

The new law requires the Department of Corrections to take into account the proximity of an inmate's family before relocating the inmate.

One possible category of exported prisoners is illegal immigrants. As of June 2008, Florida prisons held 5,523 inmates who were undocumented immigrants in the U.S. About 60 percent were in prison for violent crimes.

PUBLIC VS. PRIVATE

The Florida Police Benevolent Association, a large and vocal union representing corrections officers, also opposes exporting inmates, partly because it would help the private prison industry the PBA has long opposed.

''Our preference would be to build public prisons and keep prisoners here in Florida,'' PBA's David Murrell said. ``When you start sending prisoners to other states, you're asking for trouble.''

According to news reports, Idaho officials last year removed about 300 prisoners from a GEO Group-run Texas prison because of understaffing and lax supervision. In Maine, civil rights groups and inmate lawyers said a plan to ship inmates to Oklahoma was a burden to families and would increase recidivism

Copyright 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

To me that isnt right because then the inmate wouldnt be able to see their families. I know they dont usually take into consideration that but it is true. I am so glad that my husband will be out in 83 days and a wake up and hopefully they wont start that before he is out. Like they say, they have the new place opened but only part of it because they dont have enough inmates now to fill it, why ship them off until they get that one filled? I just dont like that idea at all.

Comment

I agree

I agree we have to stand for whats right. keep writing to your congressmen and governor. Keep praying

Comment

This is crazy to me..I don't have any nice words for Crist! I mean, they "say" they take into consideration where the inmate's family is at & that they will mainly move "immigrants" but we all know what they say is different from what they do...Another thing is that alot of inmates that are considered "immigrants" do have family out there..like they care but this is just bs!!
        RICO'S WIFEY

Comment

If the inmate's family is not in the state where the inmate is I agree with sending them closer to their family.
          I'm one of those families that's not close to my love one

Comment

Originally posted by shineneu4 View Post
            If the inmate's family is not in the state where the inmate is I agree with sending them closer to their family.
            I'm one of those families that's not close to my love one
            Oh absolutely, if the inmate has family in another state, I agree they should move him there closer to family...Unfortunately I don't think DOC will do it like that, it will probably just be more of a pick & chose type thing
            RICO'S WIFEY

Comment

This is crap and we all know it....somehow, someway this will end up making somebody some money and that is what this is all about!! They don't care what happens to people in prison, they don't care that they will be splitting families further apart. All they care about is money!! That's always the bottom line....am I right?? Do they even realize that there are some guys in prison that have visitation EVERY WEEKEND??? What if they decide to draw their name out of that little black hat and send them out of state?? What do you think the inmates reaction will be?? I'll be honest with you...if I was in prison and they were to send me further away from my family, I would feel like I had nothing to lose...already locked up...too far away to see my family....come on get real....all they are doing is looking for another way to punish the inmates and the families. The state of Florida built a prison in Frostproof, Florida....do you know what it is now?? Polk County Jail!! It's termed South County...the state didn't have the money to staff it so they gave it to the county.....thats crazy!!!!
              Nate's Wifey...is sooo glad he's home!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate's Wifey View Post
                This is crap and we all know it....somehow, someway this will end up making somebody some money and that is what this is all about!! They don't care what happens to people in prison, they don't care that they will be splitting families further apart. All they care about is money!! That's always the bottom line....am I right?? Do they even realize that there are some guys in prison that have visitation EVERY WEEKEND??? What if they decide to draw their name out of that little black hat and send them out of state?? What do you think the inmates reaction will be?? I'll be honest with you...if I was in prison and they were to send me further away from my family, I would feel like I had nothing to lose...already locked up...too far away to see my family....come on get real....all they are doing is looking for another way to punish the inmates and the families. The state of Florida built a prison in Frostproof, Florida....do you know what it is now?? Polk County Jail!! It's termed South County...the state didn't have the money to staff it so they gave it to the county.....thats crazy!!!!
                oh yea, it's all about money, somehow someway...If they can find a way to make money off us & the inmates, they will...It's complete BS...Yes, if an inmate's family is in another state, moving the inmate to that state to be close to family is fine...But we all know DOC doesn't give a damn about us or them...We know they aren't going to actually take those things into consideration. Being in South FL & having my husband in the panhandle is bad enough...
                RICO'S WIFEY

Comment

I just moved to Florida (2 weeks ago) and I know DOC definitly wont transfer my man in! But we just pray he wont have any problems getting paroled in!

Comment

Originally posted by nate's wifey View Post
                    this is crap and we all know it....somehow, someway this will end up making somebody some money and that is what this is all about!! They don't care what happens to people in prison, they don't care that they will be splitting families further apart. All they care about is money!! That's always the bottom line....am i right?? Do they even realize that there are some guys in prison that have visitation every weekend??? What if they decide to draw their name out of that little black hat and send them out of state?? What do you think the inmates reaction will be?? I'll be honest with you...if i was in prison and they were to send me further away from my family, i would feel like i had nothing to lose...already locked up...too far away to see my family....come on get real....all they are doing is looking for another way to punish the inmates and the families. The state of florida built a prison in frostproof, florida....do you know what it is now?? Polk county jail!! It's termed south county...the state didn't have the money to staff it so they gave it to the county.....thats crazy!!!!
                    the state didnt build that , an outside company did and leased it to the county..

Comment

That is why I say we as Parents, Children of Parents in Jail, Wives, Husbands and girlfriends boyfriends maybe if we all put our foot down, got a Petetion going around the Internet and off just maybe, we all can do something before something happens to our loved ones and they won't have their family their to protect them, to be honest my son was already beaten till he was unconcious, mind you hand cuffed behind his back, waited til he came around beat him again, ending up Head Neck and Back and Broken Shoulder injuries, kicked him you know where...He ended up having to have surgery, may not be able to father any children. This was done by GUARDS, I had them do an Investigation, result unfounded.
                      The Guards that my son told them about, were not on duty. Yea Right.
                      Last edited by Starliteexplorer; 10-20-2009, 06:16 PM. Reason: made some mistakes

Comment

Ricos wife, where are you and where is your husband, I'm in Palm Bay and my son is in the Pan handle too, he's in Apalachee Correctional Institute.

Comment

Originally posted by Starliteexplorer View Post
                          Ricos wife, where are you and where is your husband, I'm in Palm Bay and my son is in the Pan handle too, he's in Apalachee Correctional Institute.
                          LOL i'm in mlb n my fiance in holmes correctional in the pan handle.....small world....
                          IF you don't already kno, u betta ask somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by Starliteexplorer View Post
                            I'm in Miami..my husband is at Holmes CI....He actually used to be at Apalachee CI til they moved him to Holmes.....
                            RICO'S WIFEY

Comment

Help w/transfer

I need help! I want to get my husband transfered to graceville ci from jefferson ci. Im from south texas and my brother is in graceville ci. It would be great if i could get theM in the same institution so that i could go see them both at the same time. If anyone has any info that could help me i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X