Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother has been locked up since 1989 when I was just a kid. I guess he pretty much was too. Our mother passed away in 1987 so my father has always taken care of him. I have visited and written him over the years but never really had a reason to send him any money since pops handled that. Our father passed away about a year and a half ago so I have been sending him what I can when I can. Usually between $100 and $200 per month. I know that a couple of other family members have been helping out a little since my dad passed too. However, lately he has been asking for more and more. A couple of months ago I sent him and extra $85 for a radio but after talking with him last night he is saying that he needs everything like personal products, socks, shoes, food, ect. What to do?

Comment

I am all he has

My brother means the world to me. I am by far not rich, but I do send him as much as i can. I learned of his location recently and found out that in the time he been incarcerated no one has sent him a dime. I send him stamped envelopes, money and packages. I am going to make his life as comfortable as i can.

Comment

Usually between $100 and $200 per month.

RobbieRodriguez, if you are sending that amount every month, some other family members pitch in, too, and your brother is asking for more - my personal opinion is that he is asking for too much. Just imagine there are others that do not get a dime by anyone. Compared to those your brother must seem like a rich man in prison.

Comment

I send no money to my brother. Also a ex drug user. BUT, I do send him reading material real often. My mom sends him money but I believe he is spending it wisely.

Comment

If you can get to a computer and have a bank card you can use Jaypay.com

Comment

@RobbieRodriguez - If you are sending that much money and he still says he needs essentials then he is probably not spending his money wisely. Is your brother locked up in Indiana? If so, then you can use iCare to send packages that include food and hygiene products. (http://www.icaredirect.com/en-US/Cor...DOCCommissary/)

I use that for my brother in law instead of sending money so I know what he's spending it on. Maybe send him your usual amount but also send a care package of food and one of hygiene products each month on top of it so he has what he needs.

Good luck to you.

Comment

umm - by what i've been reading on the posts its jpay.com - good luck! i think you can also talk to a live agent if you need extra help..

Comment

Money for good or bad?

My brother has been in prison off an on for about 15 years. Is it really true that they can get as many drugs inside the prison as on the outside? I'd never forgive myself if I knew the money I was sending was being used for that.

Comment

they say that they can get "anything" in there but who truly knows? we just have to hope they don't spend our hard earned money on that stuff

Comment

Hi, I have a brother in prison and I don't send him cash. I usually just order him food, and other items from the Michiganpackages website, every 3-4 months and he good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Smurf View Post
                        they say that they can get "anything" in there but who truly knows? we just have to hope they don't spend our hard earned money on that stuff
                        as an ex DOC employee I can tell you..YES they can get/do get anything. I have seen drugs, mary kay cosmetics, victorias secret lingerie, and alcohol they made with whatever fruit or potatoes the could save. If you can find it within 6 blocks in a metropolitan area..inmates can find it in a !/4 mile long building!

Comment

Originally posted by welderswife View Post
                          as an ex DOC employee I can tell you..YES they can get/do get anything. I have seen drugs, mary kay cosmetics, victorias secret lingerie, and alcohol they made with whatever fruit or potatoes the could save. If you can find it within 6 blocks in a metropolitan area..inmates can find it in a !/4 mile long building!
                          Mary Kay? I would hope you worked at a women's facility to see that inside?

Comment

LOL no in fact I worked in mens units when I found Mary Kay and another time I ran up on an inmate wearing Victorias Secret panties.They didn't get them by mail!! Every fetish in the world is on the inside as well! Say you as a man have started hormones for future sex change..half way thru the process(full breasts) but no other changes..you are living your life as a woman but you get arrested..You go to mens prison because you have male equipment! It poses some serious problems.

Comment

How much money are inmates allowed to spend in a day or week? My brother makes money selling the stuff he makes and I have just started sending him what I can. He left home when I was young and I don't really know him all that well. He recently sent me a bunch of forms with the lists of items they can buy with the costs on them but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with them, lol. He did not say. He has the older mp3 player and I see the new one that has come out. I think it is cruel that he can only have a 9 inch fan to stay cool in an unairconditioned prison.

Comment

I send about $25 a week to my brother. At first I felt guilty and wanted to send him a lot more, but I looked up some commissary lists and realized that anything is better than nothing in there. My brother is extremely thankful for anything I can send and has told me that I have no idea how much comfort $25 gives him. I believe coffee is something like 60 cents, so for about $4.20 a week he can have a cup of coffee every morning. I try to remember that he is in jail for a reason, so he shouldn't be TOO comfortable anyway. I also have no idea if anyone else is sending him money. If they are, then he should be doing just fine. The first time he was away for a while, nobody sent him anything, so if he made it through that, then $25 a week should be a blessing to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X