+ Reply to Thread

Default Phone Account Service

Do jpay offer phone services for inmates in Washington State Department of Corrections? I was wondering cause my inmate keep telling me to check.

vconnect is the phone service there I believe

I don't know that jpay has a phone service.. I think just the emailing and u can pay for music for a jp3 player and post money to there books.. but I'm pretty sure that's all jpay offers for WA

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Information on Phone Services For Washington
    http://www.doc.wa.gov/family/telephoneadvancepay.asp

Value Added Communications (VAC)
    Advanced Payment Phone Calls

A pre-paid phone service exclusively available to Family and Friends.

Calls from offenders must be collect or pre-paid by a friend or family member. The Washington State inmate telephone service provider, Value Added Communications (VAC), allows an Advance Pay service for those who no longer can receive a traditional collect call. This discount service is currently offered to customers receiving calls from inmates at Washington Department of Corrections Institutions. The program allows customers the ability to setup a pre-paid account and receive calls at a discounted rate, in most cases.
    Notice

As a result of continued "bad debt" customers not paying their bills, Local Exchange Carriers (LEC) have requested some relief from Value Added Communications (VAC). The new Credit Verification was implemented September 2010.
    Collect Call Charges (excluding taxes and applicable fees)

These calls are paid for by the called party which show up on a phone bill.

In-state Collect Calls: $3.50 plus any applicable taxes, flat rate per Completed Collect Call.
    Interstate Collect Call: $4.95 setup fee + $0.89 per minute plus any applicable taxes per Completed Collect Call.

AdvancePay

NOTICE: As of July 10, 2011 Out of State phone call rates have been reduced. Each out-of-state call will incur a $3.50 connection fee. Each minute will cost $.50 a minute plus applicable taxes. Calls will be limited to 20 minutes.

These are calls with discounted call rates, calls pre-paid by the called party.

In state Collect Calls: $3.15 plus any applicable taxes flat rate per Completed Collect Call.
    Interstate Collect Call: $4.95 setup fee + $0.89 per minute plus any applicable taxes per Completed Pre'paid Call.

Receiving Calls From an Offender
    Collect Calls

If you receive a collect call, you will first hear a pre-recorded message stating the Correction Facility's name and the name of the offender who is asking you to accept the collect call. At that point you will be given the following options:

Accept the collect call
    Deny the collect call
    Set up a pre-paid account managed by VAC's Advance Pay Program (www.myvconnect.com)
    To set up account, you will Press "4" and set it up immediately

Pre-Paid Calls

For friends and family that are unable to receive a traditional collect call, you will be notified that to receive calls from the offender you must set up an Advance Pay account. If you choose to set up an Advance Pay account, the call will be delayed and the inmate will be asked to wait at least 30 minutes before trying to call the number again in order to allow you time to establish an account.

Please be advised that, based on payment history, some customers may be required to open an Advance Pay account even though a direct billing account may already be established.

Creating an AdvancePay Account

To establish an Advance Pay account, a minimum payment of $25.00, up to a maximum payment of $100.00, must be made via credit card. There will be a $7.95 transaction fee applied for all credit card and Money Gram deposits. Other government fees and taxes may also apply.
    VAC Standard Hours of Operation

A live Customer Service Representative is available Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 8:30 pm Central Standard Time and on Saturdays from 9:00am to 5:30pm Central Standard Time.
    VAC Phone

Call 1-800-913-6097 to setup an account or to add money to an existing Advance Pay account.
    VAC Website

Go to www.myvconnect.com to setup, fund and manage your own personal account.
    VAC Address

Other forms of payment that are accepted include: cashier's checks, money orders, or Money Grams.

The checks or money order must include the following information:

Area code & phone number
    Name of DOC Facility

If you would like to send a money order for a V-Connect or V-Direct Account, checks and money orders will be processed with no transaction fee. They must be mailed to:

Value Added Communications (VAC)
    Department 2430
    PO Box 122430
    Dallas, Texas 75312-2430

A VAC V-Direct Account, allows the offender to call any phone number that is on his or her Personal Allowed Number (PAN) list. V?Direct accounts can be established by calling 866-669-9975 or by accessing www.debitcalls.com.
    Low funds Notice

When funds on a pre-paid account are low, an automated system will contact customers with the option to add more money to the account. All transactions occur in real time. When an inmate places a call to a number set up as a pre-paid account, funds are deducted from the account as soon as the call is complete.
    Calling Rules

There is a 20-minute telephone call time limit. Both parties will hear a message at three intervals that tells them how much time remains (2 minutes, 1 minute, 30 seconds). After 20 minutes, the telephone call will automatically disconnect.

There are a number of methods to prevent premature cutoffs from occurring:

Do not attempt a 3-way call
    Do not set the phone down hard, such as on a table
    Do not have someone pick up the phone from another room
    Do not answer an incoming call when talking on the phone

Look at the frequently asked questions for more answers.

You can reach the Value Added Communications automated system 24 hours a day by calling 800-913-6097.
    Last edited by TexasDust; 05-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Senior Super Moderator

http://www.doc.wa.gov/family/telephone.asp
    Telephoning an Offender

We want to keep all friends and family members aware of our services and changes. Value Added Communications (VAC) Advance Pay is a service exclusively available to Family and Friends. Calls from offenders must be collect or be pre-paid by a friend or family member using advance pay account services. More information is available on the Frequently Asked Questions page.

NOTICE: As of July 10, 2011 Out of State phone call rates have been reduced. Each out of state call will incur a $3.50 connection fee. Each minute will cost $.50 a minute plus applicable taxes. Calls will be limited to 20 minutes.

Emergency Contact Needs

All family emergencies must go through the facility emergency contact process at your offender's location. If you have a death in the family or other emergent need to contact your offender, then call the Corrections Counselor. After regular hours, contact the shift officer. Staff are trained to route your call according to the situation.

New Communications

Offenders can now communicate with email and purchase music with JPay Inmate Services.
    Last edited by TexasDust; 05-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Senior Super Moderator

Exclamation Telephone Frequently Asked Questions Part 1

http://www.doc.wa.gov/family/telephonefaqs.asp

Telephone Frequently Asked Questions
    Value Added Communications
    Why must I use V-Connect to receive collect calls from Correctional Facilities?

There are several reasons that could cause your phone number to have restrictions from receiving calls from a correctional facility such as collect call blocks placed by your local telephone company; VAC not having a billing contract with your local telephone company; or your account being suspended due to you reaching the monthly limit that VAC has allowed to be billed to your local telephone company. V-Connect allows you to receive and pay for collect calls from correctional facilities that have previously been denied, by setting up an Advance Pay account. The V-Connect service also allows you to receive calls on your cell phone.

The Advance Pay account allows you to prepay an account to receive collect calls from your incarcerated friends and/or family members. As you accept collect calls, the cost of the call plus applicable taxes is deducted from your account balance.

How do I set up an Advance Pay account?

The fastest way to open an account is by using a Visa or MasterCard. You also have the option of sending in a Money Order/Cashiers Check or wiring the money through Money Gram. The minimum amount to open an account is $25.00 and the maximum is $100.00 if using a credit card. There will be a $7.95 transaction/convenience fee when adding funds to the account with a credit card. If sending in a money order, VAC will waive the transaction/convenience fee. You may make a payment over the phone by calling 1-800-913-6097 or by visiting us online at www.myvconnect.com.

Once a credit card transaction has been approved the funds are immediately available.

Why is there a credit card transaction fee?

Value Added Communications must cover their V-Connect administrative costs. The fee is $7.95. All payments are processed through an outside source who charges VAC a fee to process.
    Can Friends and Family put money on debit or prepay accounts more than once in a 30 day time period?

VAC allows multiple deposits to be made within a 30 day period. A maximum of $200 within a seven day period is allowed. This limit assists VAC in controlling any fraudulent activities while also providing friends and family with an high ceiling for deposits. When money orders are utilized, there is no maximum deposit time frame.

Do you accept Money Orders and/or Cashier?s Checks?

Yes. VAC does accept Money Orders and Cashier?s Checks. When filling out the Money Order or Cashier?s Check please make it payable to VAC. In the memo line, input the ten digit phone number that you would like the funds to be placed on in order to receive collect calls. Send the Money Order/Cashier?s Check to VAC, Dept 2430, P.O. Box 122430, Dallas, Texas 75312-2430.

Do you accept Money Grams?

VAC does accept Money Grams. NOTE: VAC will charge a transaction/convenience fee which is separate from any fees that Money Gram may charge.

To send a Money Gram, you will need to complete a Money Gram Express Payment form.

Receive Code is 5031
    Pay to VAC
    City is Plano
    State is Texas
    Account number is the ten digit phone number that you want the inmate to call

We allow up to 24 hours for the payments to be posted to the account. Please note that our payment processing center is not open on weekends so if you send in a Money Gram on a Friday, it may not be posted until Monday.

How much do the calls cost?

The calling rates are different based on where the phone number is located in relation to the facility. To determine the exact cost of a call plus any applicable fees, please call 800-913-6097.

Do cell phone calls cost the same?

There are no additional charges when the calls are made to cell phone. Your cell phone provider's standard talk time rates will still be applicable.

VAC encourages households that accept calls from incarcerated offenders to have at least one land line in your residence.

If I am being billed through my phone provider, why is my account suspended?

VAC has recently experienced a significant increase in bad debt, and therefore, has imposed a MAXIMUM credit limit which is the maximum dollar amount that we bill through your local telephone provider. Once anyone hits this credit limit in a 30 day period they are considered a ?high end user? and are being asked to open an Advance Pay account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I have enough funds in my account to accept a collect call, why won?t the calls go through?

Generic blocks are placed on all accounts. Based on call type, VAC can lower the block limit to the cost of a 15 minute call if requested. In order to request the block to be lowered, please call 800-786-8521 to speak to a Customer Service Representative.

Can I receive phone calls from more than one inmate?

Yes, the V-Connect account is associated with the dialed telephone number so if two inmates from the same facility or different facilities under control of the same Correctional entity (such as the Federal Bureau of Prisons, a State DOC, or a county/city with multiple facilities) then multiple inmates can call the sameV-Connect phone number. Currently an account must be established at each unique Correctional Entity where calls are being made.
    Can I add more than one phone number per account?

VAC?s system is designed to allow one phone number per account. You would need to open up a new account for each phone number that you want the inmate to call collect. All transaction/convenience fees will apply to each account that is funded to receive calls from an inmate.

How do I transfer funds from one phone number to another phone number?

We can transfer funds from one phone number to another as a one time courtesy. You would need to contact a Customer Service Representative at 800-786-8521.

How do I transfer funds from one facility to another facility?

As long as Value Added Communications provides service for the facility that the inmate has been transferred to, a Customer Service Representative will be able to transfer the funds. If VAC does not provide service for the facility that the inmate has been transferred to, we will gladly issue a refund. Please call Customer Service at 800-786-8521 to speak to a Customer Service Representative.

Senior Super Moderator

Exclamation Telephone Frequently Asked Questions Part 2

Why would my credit card be declined if there are sufficient funds in my account?

In order to protect our customers from fraudulent transactions, the billing address is verified through your credit card company. Please be sure that the address you enter to process a payment through V-Connect does not differ from the Master Billing Address on your bank's records, you will be declined. You will need to contact your credit card company to check the address they have on file for AVS (Address Verification System) purposes.

If your transaction was declined due to AVS Mismatch (billing address provided does not match billing address of cardholder), please do not attempt to resubmit your request, as it will send multiple authorization requests to your banking institution and place holds on your funds. Please contact your banking institution to verify that the Master Billing Address they have on file is the same as you entered when you registered.

My credit card transaction was declined. Will I be charged for this transaction?

Declined transactions may appear on your billing statement as pending transactions. Because the transactions were declined, they will never be posted or permanently charged to your account. Unfortunately, during the time the bank is processing the pending transaction(s), the reserved amount will be held by your bank and those charges will be deducted from your account balance until the pending status is removed by your bank. These funds are not being held by VAC, therefore, we are not responsible for fees incurred due to pending charges resulting from denied transactions.

What happens when the Answering Machine Picks Up?

As a standard rule there is no charge if a call gets terminated to an answering machine. The system will determine that an answering machine has acquired the call and the inmate will not be allowed to leave a message. In some rare cases, depending on the line quality and tone process of the answering machine the system will set the call as accepted and a charge will be levied. In these cases, VAC will refund the money and will request that the customer change the answering machine at their discretion.

Why are my calls being dropped and a 3 way recording comes on?

The facility has requested that all calls be monitored and cut off if a 3-way call attempt is detected. The level of sensitivity is set by the facility. Static or any kind of background noise other than conversation, may cause the 3-way detect to be reported. VAC does not issue credit for any calls that are dropped due to 3-way call attempts.

I am receiving calls on my cell phone and my call was dropped in the middle of the conversation. How do I receive credit for the call?

VAC will not issue credit for cell phones as they are unreliable.

What if the inmate is released?

This is specific to your need. You may close the account or use for another offender. Note: an account must be established at each unique Correctional entity such as Department of Corrections and a local County Jail.

Will my Advance Payment account expire?

No. However, a $4.95 monthly inactivity fee will be charged to a stagnant account that exceeds 180 days of no call activity until the funds have been exhausted or the call activity resumes.

How do I close my account?

To close your account, please call 1-800-786-8521 to speak to a Customer Service Representative. You may be charged a $4.95 refund fee to cover their administrative charges.

What is the VAC refund policy?

As of January 1, 2010, VAC charges a $4.95 refund fee to cover their administrative charges. If the account has never been used (i.e. no calls ever received) and closed within 90 days, VAC will waive the administrative charge and issue a full refund.

Why are there no details for the VAC account?

Companies such as VAC have little to no control with the Local Exchange Carriers (LEC's) in regard to their billing policies or statements. While all of the information may be provided, the end decision on what goes on the bill lies within the LEC
    Why are there are no monthly statements?

No Monthly statements are mailed. Call records will be provided by request. As with all collect call types, we suggest customers keep a log of calls accepted for personal verification.

Senior Super Moderator

Global Tel*Link (GTL)

GTL no longer provides long distance service to the department. Friends and Family have the ability to accept collect calls from offenders or establish pre-paid phone accounts.

Refunds for GTL Accounts:

Users who have funds on a GTL account after 01/20/2010 can call 1-866-230-7761 to request a refund. Credit card refunds will be issued within 3 to 5 days after a request has been submitted.

All other payment type refunds must be received in writing by mail or fax. All refund requests will be processed within 60 days after receipt of the written request. Advance Pay credit balances must be refunded within 180 days of the last activity on the account. Written refund requests must be sent to:

Global Tel Link
    P.O. Box 2827
    Mobile, AL 36652-2827

trentsbottomb*tch

don't send vac a cashiers check... do it over the phone or online with your card. the cashiers checks are cashed, but the funds aren't deposited into your account, and vac can't find them in their database. happened to me earlier this year and my man's sister twice. they are thieves!!! and they have an F rating with the BBB!!! wonder why WA DOC uses an phone company with an F rating? like vac is the only company available. ANYONE else have any problems? <3 ashley

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information