+ Reply to Thread

Default are the state jail closing down!

ive heard that they are shutting all the state jails down? has anyone else heard that? i also heard that they are shutting them down and the ones with 7 months and more will be released on probation.

I did hear something a couple of weeks ago when I went to see my husband but I didn't hear they were gonna give them probation I just heard they were gonna move them to another unit I hope they don't since my husband is only 20 mins away from where we live and we only have 11 weeks till he's home again....

Veteran Member

Sounds like prison gossip to me. Why would they close them down and let everyone come home? I know it sounds great but I doubt it. Try to ignore the rumors your man hears on the inside because they usually aren't true especially if it involves everyone coming home early.
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Veteran Member

Those rumors circulate all the time...but that's what they are, rumors!!

But it sure sounds nice, nothing else makes since in the prison system so why not.
    The thought alone gives you some hope. God Bless

I was told it came out on the news a few weeks ago that they mentioned 2 or 3 units are closing down. My husband said he had heard it several times but he thought rumors as well but then others have posted on another thread saying it is true. Does anyone know where I can find out more information? My husband is only 3o mins from where we live and there is a State Jail here I wonder if they would send him back this way of further if he only has 7 months to go?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by babeypaul2004@yahoo.com View Post
    ive heard that they are shutting all the state jails down? has anyone else heard that? i also heard that they are shutting them down and the ones with 7 months and more will be released on probation.
    I believe the only unit that there's a possibility of closing is Central in Sugarland. Other than that there is no mentioning of closing any State Jails or Prisons. I pay really attention to anything TDCJ Related and that's simply a rumor. Logically, if any State Jail were to close or transfer to strictly TDCJ then the Offenders will be transferred to another unit. The only talks I heard about once or twice as part of the Budget Cuts in 2012-2013 pertaining to State Jail is the possible of having State Jail Offenders receive good credit time.

So are they thinking of giving the State Jail Offenders 'Good Time'? My husband is in Dominguez and I am just trying to find out if all this is just talk or are things really changing? He only has 7 months left and I wonder if this unit is one of them and if so if they would transfer to a unit closer to home or what? Does anyone know where to find a listing of the units involved with this? If not it's ok just wondering?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikesWifey View Post
    So are they thinking of giving the State Jail Offenders 'Good Time'? My husband is in Dominguez and I am just trying to find out if all this is just talk or are things really changing? He only has 7 months left and I wonder if this unit is one of them and if so if they would transfer to a unit closer to home or what? Does anyone know where to find a listing of the units involved with this? If not it's ok just wondering?
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]There are no State Jails to my knowledge closing. I read pretty much everyday on TDCJ news and legislation changes--from several blogs to newspapers around the TX area--and there's no talk of closing any State Jails and the only "talk" is that of giving good time which is still in the works and only mentioned a few times.

Oddly there's the talk of replenishing TDCJ funds in the works to so that no prison closer (Central Unit) will happen. That's really the only talk of any prison closing and that's not State Jail that's TDCJ. They said if they were to close it they'll transfer Offenders to other units (and the odds of it being closer to home always depend on bed availability, the offender's custody level, etc.)[FONT]

Veteran Member

There are no State Jails to my knowledge closing. I read pretty much everyday on TDCJ news and legislation changes--from several blogs to newspapers around the TX area--and there's no talk of closing any State Jails and the only "talk" is that of giving good time which is still in the works and only mentioned a few times.

Oddly there's the talk of replenishing TDCJ funds in the works to so that no prison closer (Central Unit) will happen. That's really the only talk of any prison closing and that's not State Jail that's TDCJ. They said if they were to close it they'll transfer Offenders to other units (and the odds of it being closer to home always depend on bed availability, the offender's custody level, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post
    There are no State Jails to my knowledge closing. I read pretty much everyday on TDCJ news and legislation changes--from several blogs to newspapers around the TX area--and there's no talk of closing any State Jails and the only "talk" is that of giving good time which is still in the works and only mentioned a few times.

Oddly there's the talk of replenishing TDCJ funds in the works to so that no prison closer (Central Unit) will happen. That's really the only talk of any prison closing and that's not State Jail that's TDCJ. They said if they were to close it they'll transfer Offenders to other units (and the odds of it being closer to home always depend on bed availability, the offender's custody level, etc.)
    If they always try to put an offender near his home, why is my husband 4 hours away when I have 3 state jails within 50 miles of our house? I really don't understand that at all, and since he only has 6 months left, I know they are not going to consider transferring him closer to our home.

It makes it really hard to go and see him, and it kills me.

We rode it out- He's HOME!

Veteran Member

"If they were to close it they'll transfer Offenders to other units and the odds of being closer to home always depend..." I'm sorry if this was misunderstood but it was not intended to mean, "always try to put an Offender near his home." Instead, it was to mean something like" If it were to happen is my way saying if there's a possibility of that ever happening; if there's a likelihood of it happening; if the odds were in favor of it happening; and so on. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

I state within my post TDCJ considers when placing an Offender at a location including bed availability, Offenders Classification/Custody Level, Programs that an Offenders needs to take, and so on. The reason your husband was placed there may be for many reasons--State Jails also house TDCJ Offenders and they split the dorms...and perhaps the other State Jails had no beds available; perhaps his custody level matched an availability at a specific State Jail that had available beds, etc. There's tons of reasons and it's rarely figured out why.

There are various factors that go into transferring Offenders around and we do not always know how TDCJ calculates things. I believe 4 hours is not entirely bad compared to what others have to go through to see their loved ones. I met some people who travel up to and over 6 and up to 12 hours to see their loved one.
    Plus, 6 months left is a not too shabby to have compared to some who have longer lengthier offenses that are not State Jail and Not eligible for good time and those who do not get parole. I believe we shall be grateful for what we have and just be optimistic.

My husband is in TDCJ and he is 4 hours away and if they were to transfer him to a unit in that region he could be around 10 hours away. I hope not but if that happens then it's something we have to deal with. I just enjoy the fact he is 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours away right now.

Quote Originally Posted by babeypaul2004@yahoo.com View Post

My husband is in Hutchins State jail he has said that they are shutting some of the units down he has heard 7 units...And my husband has 6 months left so will he be eligible for that too, even though I don't think they are shutting his unit down but they are bringing more inmates in from other units... That would be so awesomeness...

CRAZY and MADLY IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND CHRIS

Default Teleford unit

What is the deal on the state prisons being shut down? Is this true? I heard they were put on lock down a lot. Is there anyone who can give me info on the proxy marriage, how it works and if this prison allows it? Also is it true if you are in a state prison you are not able to come up for parole?

I am a hospice nurse and one of my patient's sons works for Holliday Unit as a CO. I asked him about all this gossip, and he said that while he has heard nothing about facility closures, they will start having early releases of nonviolent offenders with good records while incarcerated. He said these releases are supposed to start in June, and if the offender is a short timer (less than a year) with good behavior and nonviolent offense, they will be considered for and possibly receive an early release due to the TDCJ budget issues.

He is not a friend and has no reason to deceive me, so I shall hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by MikesWifey View Post
    My husband is in Dominguez too.. No answers really- just what I was told by a CO from another unit (see above).

Hang in there...

Mrs.Landrum

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixisrisen View Post
    I am a hospice nurse and one of my patient's sons works for Holliday Unit as a CO. I asked him about all this gossip, and he said that while he has heard nothing about facility closures, they will start having early releases of nonviolent offenders with good records while incarcerated. He said these releases are supposed to start in June, and if the offender is a short timer (less than a year) with good behavior and nonviolent offense, they will be considered for and possibly receive an early release due to the TDCJ budget issues.

He is not a friend and has no reason to deceive me, so I shall hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed...
    WOW, I've been hearing that and not sure if it was true. My hubby told me about it, he had when to Project Rio over a year ago and the lady told him about it. He is a nonviolent offender and has been gone almost seven years on a ten year sentence. I hope it's true, he come us for parole in November so we will see![/B]

Sterling's Mom

From the Statesman:
    http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ns-227430.html

From Dallas News:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state...isons-5333.ece

The other websites just look like caht forums so I didn't paste those.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information