+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Default Phone call rates higher??

So I was comparing my phone call rates because I heard they are supposed to be lowered! Well I'm in shock to see they actually went up. A month ago i was paying 5.20 for a 20 min call now securus is charging me 5.55, has anyone else noticed this? I'm not very happy!
    Julie

Veteran Member

That's crazy. Securus is the only company u can use. My son can't call me cause I have a pre-paid phone thru Boost Mobile. I would be upset too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynnsmile75 View Post
    So I was comparing my phone call rates because I heard they are supposed to be lowered! Well I'm in shock to see they actually went up. A month ago i was paying 5.20 for a 20 min call now securus is charging me 5.55, has anyone else noticed this? I'm not very happy!
    I noticed if I looked my balance on jpay before I received a call & I happened to look back after a 20 min call my balance increased 5.60 or 5.63 so I sure looked when my bill came in & the 20 min calls were 5.20....

Oh.... It's sales tax! 8.25% tax on a $5.20 call would be a total $5.63.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by mm17 View Post
    Oh.... It's sales tax! 8.25% tax on a $5.20 call would be a total $5.63.
    But they didn't charge me that last month
    Julie

On my Securus bill the phone calls are the .26/min & the sales tax is charged at the end of the statement.

I have a question about this. I have AT&T and am out of state so my calls are $10.67 for a 20 minute call. Does anyone know if I can get a local number and area code through at&t on my cell so that the cost of my calls will be cut in half. I am willing to change my phone number from my Arkansas number to a Texas area code if this is the case. My next question is, if this wont work, what service other than AT&T could I go through to get a Texas area code and another cell phone for him to call that would be the best for the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Trishypoo View Post
    I have a question about this. I have AT&T and am out of state so my calls are $10.67 for a 20 minute call. Does anyone know if I can get a local number and area code through at&t on my cell so that the cost of my calls will be cut in half. I am willing to change my phone number from my Arkansas number to a Texas area code if this is the case. My next question is, if this wont work, what service other than AT&T could I go through to get a Texas area code and another cell phone for him to call that would be the best for the money?
    http://forum.jpay.com/prison-news/60...te-phone-rates

They just passed a rate cap on interstate phone rates, not sure when that will take effect.

Nope. They have to know where you live (your physical address) to set up the account. In part because of sales tax. They have to charge you tax based on where you live. But at least you get the interstate rates! There aren't any changes to the local rates. I also pay about $5.50 a call and I'm embarrassed to admit that I pay more than a brand new car payment to Securus every month.
    It's only half past, the point of oblivion. The hour glass on the table, the walk before the run. The breath before the kiss, and the fear before the flames. Have you ever...felt this way?

Our state sales tax is 6.25%. My calls are still $5.20. I just checked my bill. Are you funding your account a different way maybe?
    It's only half past, the point of oblivion. The hour glass on the table, the walk before the run. The breath before the kiss, and the fear before the flames. Have you ever...felt this way?

Quote Originally Posted by mm17 View Post
    http://forum.jpay.com/prison-news/60...te-phone-rates

They just passed a rate cap on interstate phone rates, not sure when that will take effect.
    OMG! This is music to my ears. I cant wait to tell him. Thank you guys for pointing this out.

Veteran Member

I use Verizon had them for 10 years now!
    Julie

Veteran Member

Well I actually haven't got this bill yet so maybe it will be corrected once its billed but its showing up 5.55 and on my last months bill it was 5.20
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenn_glass View Post
    Our state sales tax is 6.25%. My calls are still $5.20. I just checked my bill. Are you funding your account a different way maybe?
    Julie

From what I read it's going to take about 4 months for us to see these changes. He says it's going to save money but I say we'll probably spend the same but talk more! I hope they don't start charging a connection fee to make up for the lost revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel1962 View Post
    From what I read it's going to take about 4 months for us to see these changes. He says it's going to save money but I say we'll probably spend the same but talk more! I hope they don't start charging a connection fee to make up for the lost revenue.
    Inmates having increased communication with family is the purpose. I can see us spending the same on phone calls as well, but I sure enjoy getting more phone calls!
    I'm not sure they will be able to add a connection fee. I'm glad to see the cap on interstate calls, but can't wait for instate rates to be decreased!

Veteran Member

I live in oklahoma and had the same issue as you. I called att and they said that the only way you could get a local texas # is by having a texas address. They said it is 2 different markets and they don't play well with each other. They also said that if you had a local texas # and lived else where that you would pay 2 taxes on you phone bill. Your state tax and texas state tax. I have a friend that lives in texas and she allowed me to get a line on her account and I now have a texas #. That was the only way I could get it to work. I am not for certain but I am sure that the other companies would say the same as att.

Forever and Always <3

Quote Originally Posted by Lilndngyrl View Post
    I live in oklahoma and had the same issue as you. I called att and they said that the only way you could get a local texas # is by having a texas address. They said it is 2 different markets and they don't play well with each other. They also said that if you had a local texas # and lived else where that you would pay 2 taxes on you phone bill. Your state tax and texas state tax. I have a friend that lives in texas and she allowed me to get a line on her account and I now have a texas #. That was the only way I could get it to work. I am not for certain but I am sure that the other companies would say the same as att.
    Thank you for all of the great info! I have relatives in Houston so I would not have a problem getting an address to use. I think with the rates going down, I will just hang in there and see how that goes before I start switching everything over but it is always nice to have this information in my back pocket.

Veteran Member

Your welcome. And it is definitely good to have a back up plan.

Thank you for all of the great info! I have relatives in Houston so I would not have a problem getting an address to use. I think with the rates going down, I will just hang in there and see how that goes before I start switching everything over but it is always nice to have this information in my back pocket.

Forever and Always <3

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information