+ Reply to Thread

Default What's Mandatory Supervision mean?

I need this broken down for me. Husband's website information updated today to say:

Scheduled Release Date: 2013-03-12
    Scheduled Release Type: Mandatory Supervision
    Scheduled Release Location: HUNTSVILLE

What does mandatory supervision mean?

Lisa

Super Moderator

Here is an explanation that I think will make sense to you

"mandatory supervision," which is somewhat similar to, but not to be confused with, parole. Mandatory supervision is where an inmate is released before completing his or her sentence due to legal technicalities which obligate the criminal justice system to free them.

In some states, such as Texas, inmates are awarded "good time." "Good time" is counted towards a prisoner's time served. For example, if an inmate is sentenced for 10 years, and has served seven of those years and has earned three years good time, they will have technically completed his or her sentence, thus obligating the state to release them.

The Difference Between Parole and Mandatory Supervision:

Parole is denied or granted at the discretion of a parole board. However, mandatory supervision does not involve a decision making process. An inmate either qualifies to be release, or does not. Also, mandatory supervision usually involves conditions and stipulations that are far more lenient than those involved with parole. In some cases, mandatory supervision places no obligations at all on the person being released.
    Mrs. Hernandez

My Husband is Finally Home 3/5/13 amor de mi vida <3

Thank you!

Veteran Member

My husband is currently waiting on a vote for MS. Although his time equals his sentence and he has had no disciplinary issues he CAN still be denied release. His file was pulled in November, he went uunder review in January and we are told we will have an answer 30 days prior to hiis PRD(may 9). So I am not vote until the end of March and a reply by the first week of April.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa251 View Post
    Thank you!
    You are so welcome!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

please check this. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/what...le/reasons.htm it gives similarities and reasons for denial of parole and MS

Quote Originally Posted by welderswife View Post
    My husband is currently waiting on a vote for MS. Although his time equals his sentence and he has had no disciplinary issues he CAN still be denied release. His file was pulled in November, he went uunder review in January and we are told we will have an answer 30 days prior to hiis PRD(may 9). So I am not vote until the end of March and a reply by the first week of April.
    My husband's projected release date is March 12, 2013 as well. Then just today all of the "special release information" was updated to reflect March 12th too. So I'm assuming since the release information appeared today, that means the vote was yes and my husband is coming home in 11 days. At least I'm hoping I understand all of this correctly....

I hope your husband gets a positive vote and comes home soon. May will be here before you know it!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by welderswife View Post
    please check this. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/what...le/reasons.htm it gives similarities and reasons for denial of parole and MS
    thanks for posting this girlie
    Mrs. Hernandez

Super Moderator

Lisa you can call the TDCJ Parole Hotline number on Monday and they will be able to confirm his information 512-406-5202
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

Betty Boop is that you dancing on air lol
    That which does not break you only makes you stronger

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by corrinne View Post
    Betty Boop is that you dancing on air lol
    hahahaha! That pretty much describes me right now! lol
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

Awww Lisa that is such great news!!! So happy for you!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by khernandez View Post
    thanks for posting this girlie
    you are most wellcome.

Veteran Member

Lisa i am so happy for you

Quote Originally Posted by Elena Frisk View Post
    Lisa i am so happy for you
    Thank you!

Veteran Member

your welcome Lisa

My husband's PRD is 3/16/13 and all of his release info shows too and the board hasn't voted. TDCJ assumes that they will be released on that date but the board can stop it. A few make it to The Walls for release, without a vote, and get denied before release.
    My husband's projected release date is March 12, 2013 as well. Then just today all of the "special release information" was updated to reflect March 12th too. So I'm assuming since the release information appeared today, that means the vote was yes and my husband is coming home in 11 days. At least I'm hoping I understand all of this correctly....

I hope your husband gets a positive vote and comes home soon. May will be here before you know it!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kierstin1976 View Post
    My husband's PRD is 3/16/13 and all of his release info shows too and the board hasn't voted. TDCJ assumes that they will be released on that date but the board can stop it. A few make it to The Walls for release, without a vote, and get denied before release.
    This is very true. They do the bloodwork, transfer to a release or pre release unit and are then denied. Heartbreaking for everyone. Praying that is not the case for Lisa.

It's not the case for us. I confirmed it with the parole board this morning. My husband is coming home in 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So so so happy.

The past couple of days have dragged by soooo slow. This is going to be the longest week ever!

Veteran Member

Lisa, did the parole board ever vote on his prd (rms)?

It's not the case for us. I confirmed it with the parole board this morning. My husband is coming home in 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So so so happy.

The past couple of days have dragged by soooo slow. This is going to be the longest week ever!

Quote Originally Posted by texascowgirl1962 View Post
    Lisa, did the parole board ever vote on his prd (rms)?
    I dont know what rms stands for... But the parole board said yes, he was approved and everything was finalized. He's in the clear and he is actually, really and trully, being released on the 12th. I asked if there was anything left to be voted on, and she said no, everything's completed, he's going home March 12th. I checked the calendar for the umpteenth time, and it is in fact, March I keep getting worried that I'm somehow reading the months wrong or something.

Veteran Member

Congratulations - not much time to get ready!! 8 days will fly by before you know it!
    "What's meant to be will find a way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jen62 View Post
    Congratulations - not much time to get ready!! 8 days will fly by before you know it!
    Thanks Jen! So far the hours are creeping by! Today could not have gone any slower! LOL

Veteran Member

RMS (Release to Mandatory Supervision) is their shortway.

I dont know what rms stands for... But the parole board said yes, he was approved and everything was finalized. He's in the clear and he is actually, really and trully, being released on the 12th. I asked if there was anything left to be voted on, and she said no, everything's completed, he's going home March 12th. I checked the calendar for the umpteenth time, and it is in fact, March I keep getting worried that I'm somehow reading the months wrong or something.

Wonderful, Lisa enjoy every minute.

Veteran Member

I am sorry Lisa I should have been more specific. RMS is their projected release date.

Veteran Member

You are just super excited and ready for this to end, as anyone would be. If the parole board said yes then they must have voted on his RMS. That is just a short time away so enjoy the homecoming and best of luck to you and yours!

I am sorry Lisa I should have been more specific. RMS is their projected release date.

Veteran Member

I'm sure you know what Mandatory Supervision means by now. I just want to say once released its all the same - they're on Parole. They no longer show up on the TDCJ Offender Search and have to go to the local Parole Office to check-in and their PO does home visits. I hate to say it but it's really doesn't matter once they're released if they were given Parole or Mandatory Supervision.
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

congrats so happy for you

Veteran Member

Love is not only for the good times but also for the bad.

Mrs. Rivera

You are just super excited and ready for this to end, as anyone would be. If the parole board said yes then they must have voted on his RMS. That is just a short time away so enjoy the homecoming and best of luck to you and yours!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post
    I'm sure you know what Mandatory Supervision means by now. I just want to say once released its all the same - they're on Parole. They no longer show up on the TDCJ Offender Search and have to go to the local Parole Office to check-in and their PO does home visits. I hate to say it but it's really doesn't matter once they're released if they were given Parole or Mandatory Supervision.
    Fine by me! As long as he's home!!!! LOL I'd let his PO move in with us if it'd get him home! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Luv my Chavo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msp6747 View Post
    congrats so happy for you
    Thank you both!!! 7 days left! This is my last Tuesday without my honey! I wrote him the other night and told him the dog food wouldnt last (I had previously asked him to come home before I had to carry another 35 lb bag of dog food) but the grass could totally wait till he gets home to be mowed! LOL

Veteran Member

Thank you both!!! 7 days left! This is my last Tuesday without my honey! I wrote him the other night and told him the dog food wouldnt last (I had previously asked him to come home before I had to carry another 35 lb bag of dog food) but the grass could totally wait till he gets home to be mowed! LOL
    How exciting! I would go and buy a little bag just to carry you over lol. 7 days will fly by and before you know it he'll be right there with you .
    Love is not only for the good times but also for the bad.

Mrs. Rivera

Quote Originally Posted by Luv my Chavo View Post
    How exciting! I would go and buy a little bag just to carry you over lol. 7 days will fly by and before you know it he'll be right there with you .
    HAHA That's what I ended up doing last night.

Congrats on the homecoming!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information