+ Reply to Thread

Red face Prison Phone Calls

Hello Friends, my husband in prison finally gets to make phone calls in a couple of weeks. I am asking for advice on whats the easiest and cheapest way to do this?? Do i have to have a landline phone or can i use my cell.. please let me know, thanku!

Veteran Member

All depends on the state he's in, you porbably have to be approved, some states allow cell phone but only those on contract. Check your states Dept of Corrections it has a huge amount of info, you can look him up and the prison he's at which will list the rules and regulations Good luck to you and welcome
    That which does not break you only makes you stronger

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbrown View Post
    Hello Friends, my husband in prison finally gets to make phone calls in a couple of weeks. I am asking for advice on whats the easiest and cheapest way to do this?? Do i have to have a landline phone or can i use my cell.. please let me know, thanku!
    Hello! You can really go either way......you don't have to have a land-line phone IF you have a contract post-paid cellphone (through providers such as: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc)......if you don't and it's a post-paid like Boost, Cricket or a TracFone, you won't be able to register those....so you would need to get a landline through AT&T, Comcast, etc.

You can go to www.texasprisonphone.com for more information. I hope this helps
    Mrs. Hernandez

My Husband is Finally Home 3/5/13 amor de mi vida <3

thanks girls.. yes my cell is through sprint. I am on his contact list already. He wrote me and said he would get all the info for me. Just wondered how it works as far as do i we need to purchase minutes for our phone calls through a company or will i be able to do this through sprint??

Super Moderator

thanks girls.. yes my cell is through sprint. I am on his contact list already. He wrote me and said he would get all the info for me. Just wondered how it works as far as do i we need to purchase minutes for our phone calls through a company or will i be able to do this through sprint??
    okay then you are fine to register your cellphone.....once you register through Texas Friends and Family (1.866.806.7804) and they approve you, they will automatically send your information to Securus - Securus handles all the billing for TDCJ - the bill will not be added to your cell phone, it will be a separate bill. Wait a few days after approval and then call Securus so that you can set up your account - call from your cellphone, it will automatically recognize your number - Securus 1.800.844.6591 - also have them set up an online account for you - it's so much easier, you can pay online whenever you want, check your balance (it will allow up to a $200 balance and then it will block the calls - so always make sure the bill is paid) Oh and you are very welcome
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

After you register your phone you will have to set up an account with www.securustech.net and the account will either be a post paid account they will give you a limit..like $200 and you will be charge per call and have to pay off that amount every month, or you will have to put money on the account and can only spend as much money as you put on the account.

Forever and Always <3

i looked up the website and it helps, thanks.. if you girls have this is it cheap in the end or is there a different route? thanksyou

Veteran Member

I guess you was typing as I was typing..lol

Quote Originally Posted by khernandez View Post
    okay then you are fine to register your cellphone.....once you register through Texas Friends and Family (1.866.806.7804) and they approve you, they will automatically send your information to Securus - Securus handles all the billing for TDCJ - the bill will not be added to your cell phone, it will be a separate bill. Wait a few days after approval and then call Securus so that you can set up your account - call from your cellphone, it will automatically recognize your number - Securus 1.800.844.6591 - also have them set up an online account for you - it's so much easier, you can pay online whenever you want, check your balance (it will allow up to a $200 balance and then it will block the calls - so always make sure the bill is paid) Oh and you are very welcome

Forever and Always <3

ok ive got it! thank you all! and god bless!

Super Moderator

i looked up the website and it helps, thanks.. if you girls have this is it cheap in the end or is there a different route? thanksyou
    this is it - Securus is the only route you can go with TDC
    Mrs. Hernandez

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lilndngyrl View Post
    I guess you was typing as I was typing..lol
    hahaha you know it....we do this all day long when we are texting....although sometimes it takes me forever to reply hahaha!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Super Moderator

ok ive got it! thank you all! and god bless!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

Yep..see I was gonna respond to the securus question too, but I knew you had me on time..since I have to wait to add my next post...lol

hahaha you know it....we do this all day long when we are texting....although sometimes it takes me forever to reply hahaha!

Forever and Always <3

Mrs Hernandez i did not know that about the cell phone needing to have a contract. Thats information we all need. I usually have cell phone with a contract so i never knew it made a difference. One thing that i do which i am not sure if others can do is I have an extra line on my cell phone contract devoted just for my husband. No matter where he is transferred to i will change that number to an area code that is considered to be a local number to the facility so that all of our calls are local calls. Before doing this our calls were almost $5 per 15 minutes. After the change our calls were reduced to $0.96 per 15 minute call (but since my hubby is in the honor dorm at current facility he is allowed 20 minute calls and even those calls are $0.96 per call). I live in Ohio so I am not sure if this is something that others can do as well. I told the cell phone company that it is my business line and i used the facility address if representative stated i needed a physical address to get the number.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lilndngyrl View Post
    Yep..see I was gonna respond to the securus question too, but I knew you had me on time..since I have to wait to add my next post...lol
    LOL!! too funny - I forget about that because I don't have the time lapse lol
    Mrs. Hernandez

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy'sEarth View Post
    Mrs Hernandez i did not know that about the cell phone needing to have a contract. Thats information we all need. I usually have cell phone with a contract so i never knew it made a difference. One thing that i do which i am not sure if others can do is I have an extra line on my cell phone contract devoted just for my husband. No matter where he is transferred to i will change that number to an area code that is considered to be a local number to the facility so that all of our calls are local calls. Before doing this our calls were almost $5 per 15 minutes. After the change our calls were reduced to $0.96 per 15 minute call (but since my hubby is in the honor dorm at current facility he is allowed 20 minute calls and even those calls are $0.96 per call). I live in Ohio so I am not sure if this is something that others can do as well. I told the cell phone company that it is my business line and i used the facility address if representative stated i needed a physical address to get the number.
    Here in Texas they require a contract in order to register the cellphone, but it might not be that way in your state - you have to love all the different rules and requirements that everybody comes up with that's for sure. I'm three hours from my husband and I'm paying .26 per minute - so it's $5.53 for a 20 minute call....grrrrr - I spend a small fortune
    Mrs. Hernandez

Here in Texas they require a contract in order to register the cellphone, but it might not be that way in your state - you have to love all the different rules and requirements that everybody comes up with that's for sure. I'm three hours from my husband and I'm paying .26 per minute - so it's $5.53 for a 20 minute call....grrrrr - I spend a small fortune
    Even though it doesnt seem like a lot it adds up very quickly. Even at $0.96 per call, it adds up. I still have to go through Offenderconnect for minutes so that he can make prepaid calls. It seems like whatever way they can make money off of our grief companies do it. It is sad! I also make sure i have unlimited minutes on the cell phone contract. We talk so much our minutes could never hold up under a contract that limits our minutes. Even the largest amount of minute contracts is not enough.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy'sEarth View Post
    Even though it doesnt seem like a lot it adds up very quickly. Even at $0.96 per call, it adds up. I still have to go through Offenderconnect for minutes so that he can make prepaid calls. It seems like whatever way they can make money off of our grief companies do it. It is sad! I also make sure i have unlimited minutes on the cell phone contract. We talk so much our minutes could never hold up under a contract that limits our minutes. Even the largest amount of minute contracts is not enough.
    I bet it does...if ya'll are anything like us you are talking frequently and yes it does add up! And then there's the fee every time I add money to the account - so I make sure I put the max on there because I'm not paying that fee for a small amount of $$! no way! LOL These companies are making a fortune!!!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

I heard on the news in Florida that they are trying to pass some law that restricts the amount that can be charged for inmate calling, I was in the middle of something so was unable to really hear everything said and can't find anything else about it but I'm hoping they do pull if off. My calls are $2.50 per 15 min call

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by corrinne View Post
    I heard on the news in Florida that they are trying to pass some law that restricts the amount that can be charged for inmate calling, I was in the middle of something so was unable to really hear everything said and can't find anything else about it but I'm hoping they do pull if off. My calls are $2.50 per 15 min call

I haven't heard anything about FL passing legislation about restricting inmate calling charges...but who knows...I believe it's an on-going battle in MI where the rates are astronomical...

Oh wow! $2.50 per call...when hubby was an hr away at Holmes CI, our calls were $1.79 per 15 min call...now that he's about 15 mins away our calls average $0.56 per 15 min call...So when I put $25 on my securus account it lasts--which I'm glad, because I have to pay the $6 fee every time I add $$ to the account---even tho he's in a prison in FL, he's not in a DOC camp, DOC has a contract w/securus where the inmates' family/friends don't have to pay the service fee...BUT since he's in a private camp in FL run by CCA, there is no agreement & I have to pay $6 every time I put $$ on the phone, but the $25 I put on the phone, lasts 2 - 3 months depending on how often he calls...which we have established a schedule where he calls every other day during the week, and then every day on Fri, Sat & Sun.
    'To be brave is to love unconditionally without expecting anything in return.'

I actually live in Florida and I have an ex-husband in Avon Park the calls are $2.50 that is not my problem though for me the phone are so old most time is wasted having him repeat himself. Now I have a good friend who calls me from Texas. Can you believe the calls are $10.00 for 20 minutes? That is such robbery!!!!

Veteran Member

It is a total disgrace well the whole system is a disgrace, if you are not well off you are penalised right from the start by having to use a public pretender. If you have money you are much more lickely to get a shorter sentence or get off compleatly. My heart goes out to the families that just can't affort the phone rates or be able to send money, those inmates have a heck of a time trying to earn a soup or stamp from other inmates. It's not blind justice she got her hand out for money!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information