+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation What are the chances of making 1stParole

My husband has been locked up for going on 5 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His parole eligibility date will be December 22,2013. Will this be the day he goes up for parole? Also what are his chances of making his first parole? Is there anything I can do to help him?please any advise would help me.

Thanks
    Samantha

Veteran Member

Welcome to J-Pay The parole board are very strict when it comes to aggravated cases and parole. My son's case is aggravated and hewas told he had to serve at least 85% of his time to be consider parole. He has done 14 months on a 2 year sentence. He should see parole before Dec 22, 2013 if not told otherwise. What unit is he at?

thank you, well my husnband at the briscoe unit in dilley tx. he was sentenced 11 years and was told he had to do at least 5 years before he could see parole.

My GS got 13 years had to serve half before seeing parole. He was set off this past October for 1 year his first time up.

Veteran Member

My son got 10 years and was told he had to serve half before being eligible for parole.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Veteran Member

There isn't a specific time for TDC it depends on the board his case etc. Alot of people are getting paroled these days and still alot aren't. All you can really do is pray and wait, and pray hard, you never know what kind of mood the board will be in that day. And ultimatly it's their desicion.
    True love is worth waiting for even if it takes a lifetime. Then in return a lifetime of love will be waiting for you

Veteran Member

The rumor mill on the inside is when you serve a violent offense or a 3G Offense you usually serve 1/2 your flat time before actually making parole.

If his Parole Eligibility is Dec. 23, 2013 then he will start Parole Review June 2013 for a decision to hopefully be made by his Parole Eligibility Date. Actual decision of Parole can not be determined. The Parole Panel that votes will vote yes or no and if it is a yes there are several options they can vote.

All you can do is just hope for the best....good luck!

MissingMyWife

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiegirl View Post
    My husband has been locked up for going on 5 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His parole eligibility date will be December 22,2013. Will this be the day he goes up for parole? Also what are his chances of making his first parole? Is there anything I can do to help him?please any advise would help me.

Thanks
    Samantha
    On an Agg charge they must serve 2 years or half of their sentence whichever is greater before being eligible for parole. Whether he makes it first time depends on a number of things that are unique to his case and situation. As far as his chances go he needs to be currently and have been diligently working and or furthering his education. If possible taking any of the intervention or self help classes he can (changes and or similar classes).
    He needs to be and remain case free. His line class has to be what he went in at or greater.
    These are the things he will need to have accomplished to have the best chance at parole. You and other family members, children as well as the pastor of your church or other pillars of the community can write support letters to the board on his behalf and put together a parole packet to send. In that packet you will want to include any certificates or accomplishments GED and such. When you write a parole letter don’t tell them how much you miss him or the children miss daddy for they already know all that. You want to present them remorse on his part in his letter. How his crime affected others not just himself. What has changed Attitude, his way of thinking, different situations at home all the reasons that he will parole successfully and not reoffend or fail supervision. You can include a few family photos or photos of him with the children as that tends to humanize them and not just be a file. You can request an interview w the lead voter as time draws near. All of these things will need to be done prior to that date. Now with everything said as Denise stated earlier at the end of the day it is entirely up to the board as to whether they vote yes or no. They do have guidelines but it really is up to them. If I was doing all this over for the first time again I personally would go with a parole attorney to make the case for him because at least they can get their attention for more than the 5 minutes they spend looking at the file normally. I know there are some that would agree and some that will disagree. There are some that say you can do anything they can don’t waste your money but from what I have seen and know they may or may not make much of a difference but at the end of the day the board has seen a human being and not a stack of papers, Procedures will have been followed and hopefully any errors in his file would be caught, and you know that you have done everything possible to have given him the best chance to get out. I am not talking about some of the bottom feeders that do nothing more than put a packet together and make a phone call to the board. There are a few that are better than that and are still somewhat affordable.

I hope some of this helps
    God Bless

Veteran Member

When you do a parole packet is the packet sent to the board where the unit falls under, or do you sent it directly to the unit where the inmate is at. And do you have to sent copies of the support letters to the inmate for there reference. Thanks .

Super Moderator

Thank you Missing for your Info!
    Mrs. Hernandez

My Husband is Finally Home 3/5/13 amor de mi vida <3

MissingMyWife

Quote Originally Posted by khernandez View Post
    Thank you Missing for your Info!
    You Guys Always Very Welcome!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by helen1961 View Post
    When you do a parole packet is the packet sent to the board where the unit falls under, or do you sent it directly to the unit where the inmate is at. And do you have to sent copies of the support letters to the inmate for there reference. Thanks .
    Helen send it to the board that the unit falls under and send a copy to the inmate in case the IPO that interviews him doesn't have it.
    Love is not only for the good times but also for the bad.

Mrs. Rivera

MissingMyWife

Helen I made 3 one for me, one for the inmate to give to the IPO when they come out to interview and I sent one to:
    Review and Release Processing, TDCJ Parole Division, P.O. Box 13401, Capitol Station, Austin, TX 78711.
    I forgot to mention in my prior post to include information that demonstrates to the parole panel that an offender has a support system in place upon release as well as any information regarding employment or potential employment, residence, transportation, available aftercare treatment programs if that is applicable.
    Now with that said you are supposed to get a response when they recieve it. I did not get a response when I sent mine to Austin but I did when I sent it to the IPO office that she was under. Maybe Austin got it and maybe not but they did not respond and are suppossed to.

I Hope This Helps

Veteran Member

Thank U Missing and Luv My Chavo

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMyWife View Post
    Helen I made 3 one for me, one for the inmate to give to the IPO when they come out to interview and I sent one to:
    Review and Release Processing, TDCJ Parole Division, P.O. Box 13401, Capitol Station, Austin, TX 78711.
    I forgot to mention in my prior post to include information that demonstrates to the parole panel that an offender has a support system in place upon release as well as any information regarding employment or potential employment, residence, transportation, available aftercare treatment programs if that is applicable.
    Now with that said you are supposed to get a response when they recieve it. I did not get a response when I sent mine to Austin but I did when I sent it to the IPO office that she was under. Maybe Austin got it and maybe not but they did not respond and are suppossed to.

I Hope This Helps
    The 1st time I also sent mine to Austin and I did get a letter saying they received it and so did everyone else that sent one but the IPO didn't have it and neither did the actual board that voted so now I'm making sure that the actual board receives it and that he has a copy in case the IPO doesn't have it.
    Love is not only for the good times but also for the bad.

Mrs. Rivera

Veteran Member

My husband also has agg assault w/a deadlly weapon and robbery. He had no victims to protest which may make a difference for your husband. if a victim makes an impact statement the likelihood of denial is very high. My husband came up eligible a few months ago and was denied.

Veteran Member

Oh I did that also with my husband's parole packet. And got that letter but the IPO never had it so i'll be doing what missing said and sending it to him and the board and save a copy for me as well. Good luck on anyone who is coming up for parole.
    True love is worth waiting for even if it takes a lifetime. Then in return a lifetime of love will be waiting for you

MissingMyWife

Quote Originally Posted by brokenn_glass View Post
    My husband also has agg assault w/a deadlly weapon and robbery. He had no victims to protest which may make a difference for your husband. if a victim makes an impact statement the likelihood of denial is very high. My husband came up eligible a few months ago and was denied.
    Glad to see you back its been awhile.
    I hope yall are doing well.

As someone else said 85% of time is the average for aggravated cases in Texas...being eligible for parole after 50% is the the law...but it's extremely unlikely anyone makes it out on an aggravated.

MissingMyWife

I always try to respect another’s post and opinions and I post this with that intention but I must say I don’t know what the averages are for this topic and you may be right on that however I have had 2 family members make first parole on agg rob and ya it is not always typical but each case stands on its own merit and we don’t know any details so to say its extremely unlikely I think is inaccurate.

Red face

I just want to say be patient and don't be discourage tdcj has no rythm or reason just because one person didn't make parole doesn't mean your won't either. My husband finally made parole its been a hard two years but my honey will be home this friday only four more days woo hoo... I just want to say thank you to k.hernandez and luvmychavo for words of encouragement you will never know how much just reading your posts have helped me stay focused. Tdcj is a roller coaster ride and I am so glad that I had my jpay family. K.hernandez I see your time is coming soon for your honey to come home..luvmychavo I hope 2013 is your year for your honey to come home... Thanks ladies for every thing.. Happy new year..

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jflyswife View Post
    I just want to say be patient and don't be discourage tdcj has no rythm or reason just because one person didn't make parole doesn't mean your won't either. My husband finally made parole its been a hard two years but my honey will be home this friday only four more days woo hoo... I just want to say thank you to k.hernandez and luvmychavo for words of encouragement you will never know how much just reading your posts have helped me stay focused. Tdcj is a roller coaster ride and I am so glad that I had my jpay family. K.hernandez I see your time is coming soon for your honey to come home..luvmychavo I hope 2013 is your year for your honey to come home... Thanks ladies for every thing.. Happy new year..
    jflyswife you and Missing are exactly right....TDCJ has no rhyme or reason for the things they do. And to say that it is extremely unlikely that someone can be eligible to parole out just because of an aggravated case is a completely inaccurate statement for someone to make. I'm so happy for you girl and I know you are excited!! Thank you so much for those kind words, they just made my day! Yes, he will be home in 61 more days and I couldn't be more thrilled! You are more than welcome!! Happy New Year to you as well...
    Mrs. Hernandez

My Husband is Finally Home 3/5/13 amor de mi vida <3

Veteran Member

No one really knows when some one will make their 1st parole. Missing thats great your family members made 1st parole on there agg case. And your right it depends on the case. jflyswife congrats on your husband coming home. My son's case is agg and he saw parole (2nd time) and he's waiting for his answer and he's serving 2 years. It is what it is with tdcj. It'll all work out. Put it in Gods Hands.

MissingMyWife

Quote Originally Posted by helen1961 View Post
    No one really knows when some one will make their 1st parole. Missing thats great your family members made 1st parole on there agg case. And your right it depends on the case. jflyswife congrats on your husband coming home. My son's case is agg and he saw parole (2nd time) and he's waiting for his answer and he's serving 2 years. It is what it is with tdcj. It'll all work out. Put it in Gods Hands.
    You are so right
    Amen Helen!
    Thanks

Is there a way to find out if someone is protesting against parole???...my hubby asked me to find out.

My hubby got a 25yr sentence...agg case with a victim, he's done 13yrs, PED 9/2011, first parole denied with a 2yr set off. Took about a week for an answer, if not earlier, as soon as the file got in their hand. We are now coming up for the second review on 9/2013....it's hard not to think of possible "multiple set-offs"... :/

Quote Originally Posted by ediebobby View Post
    Is there a way to find out if someone is protesting against parole???...my hubby asked me to find out.

My hubby got a 25yr sentence...agg case with a victim, he's done 13yrs, PED 9/2011, first parole denied with a 2yr set off. Took about a week for an answer, if not earlier, as soon as the file got in their hand. We are now coming up for the second review on 9/2013....it's hard not to think of possible "multiple set-offs"... :/
    I have asked the parole office in the past after denials if there was a protest and was always told that information is confidential, so I don't think there is a way to tell. My fiance has a non-aggravated, non-3g case and was sentenced to 12 years and has been denied each time he has been up since 2008 when his parole eligibility was. He has been in now for over 6 years. Set-offs have just become a way of life for us! I've put it in God's hands and accept it for what it is. Good Luck to you!
    Forever is as far as I'll go....

glendiana2011

Quote Originally Posted by missy6758703 View Post
    I have asked the parole office in the past after denials if there was a protest and was always told that information is confidential, so I don't think there is a way to tell. My fiance has a non-aggravated, non-3g case and was sentenced to 12 years and has been denied each time he has been up since 2008 when his parole eligibility was. He has been in now for over 6 years. Set-offs have just become a way of life for us! I've put it in God's hands and accept it for what it is. Good Luck to you!
    Wow, that doesn't make sense that he has been denied since especially with it being a non-aggravated, non-3g case. Do you mind if I ask if he is a "Confirmed" member of a gang? I ask because I have done alot of research on different felonies and why some get denied and some don't when they are not non-aggravated, non 3-g.

Quote Originally Posted by glendiana2011 View Post
    Wow, that doesn't make sense that he has been denied since especially with it being a non-aggravated, non-3g case. Do you mind if I ask if he is a "Confirmed" member of a gang? I ask because I have done alot of research on different felonies and why some get denied and some don't when they are not non-aggravated, non 3-g.
    No, he is about as far from a gang member as one can get.....was a white collar professional working in the medical field with no gang affiliation, no previous history of anything...maybe a speeding ticket here and there, but this is the only offense he ever committed. He has never had a case against him in the 6 years he has been in....been what one would call a "model prisoner". This is why we are certain that there is a protest because there really isn't any other reason they are keeping him in there. His good time/work time + actual time = 120% of his actual sentence. Guess the good time/work time really don't mean squat. I will fight till the end to get him out, but also have come to just accept the fact that he may very well serve his whole 12 years.

glendiana2011

No, he is about as far from a gang member as one can get.....was a white collar professional working in the medical field with no gang affiliation, no previous history of anything...maybe a speeding ticket here and there, but this is the only offense he ever committed. He has never had a case against him in the 6 years he has been in....been what one would call a "model prisoner". This is why we are certain that there is a protest because there really isn't any other reason they are keeping him in there. His good time/work time + actual time = 120% of his actual sentence. Guess the good time/work time really don't mean squat. I will fight till the end to get him out, but also have come to just accept the fact that he may very well serve his whole 12 years.
    Wow, that is crazy Missy. Whey you mention "protest" - do you mean retaliation on him by the prison system? My husband is in a situation where a simple request to classification (to be reviewed for his S-2) turned out to be a big retaliation against him because of the fact that he had to write a Grievance on a specific classification officer, who happened to be a buddy buddy with the Region Director - who in turn, received the Grievance (for a simple request after his many attempts, he submitted approximately 20, I-60's to be exact. None of them were ever replied to so my husband wrote a grievance....the grievance was received on Monday and he was shipped out of that unit on Tuesday. They put him at the farthest place that they could in Texas (that didn't stop my visits though) and have stripped him of everything possible. That is why I hired an attorney to fix this crap because as your honey, he was a model offender, with no major cases since TDCJ, attended all classes he possibly could, was the unit Master Electrician for over a year at the unit, he had it all. Prior to hiring my attorney, he knew exactly what was going on....he said that TDCJ does not like when they have a family member/offender who does all they can to get answers and when we don't get answers we go to the top...well the top happened to be the friend of the classification supervisor who basically did all she could to get him where he is at and he says that he will do his damnest to get this cleared and set straight. I pray he does because this is BS!

Good luck to you Missy.

Quote Originally Posted by glendiana2011 View Post
    Wow, that is crazy Missy. Whey you mention "protest" - do you mean retaliation on him by the prison system? My husband is in a situation where a simple request to classification (to be reviewed for his S-2) turned out to be a big retaliation against him because of the fact that he had to write a Grievance on a specific classification officer, who happened to be a buddy buddy with the Region Director - who in turn, received the Grievance (for a simple request after his many attempts, he submitted approximately 20, I-60's to be exact. None of them were ever replied to so my husband wrote a grievance....the grievance was received on Monday and he was shipped out of that unit on Tuesday. They put him at the farthest place that they could in Texas (that didn't stop my visits though) and have stripped him of everything possible. That is why I hired an attorney to fix this crap because as your honey, he was a model offender, with no major cases since TDCJ, attended all classes he possibly could, was the unit Master Electrician for over a year at the unit, he had it all. Prior to hiring my attorney, he knew exactly what was going on....he said that TDCJ does not like when they have a family member/offender who does all they can to get answers and when we don't get answers we go to the top...well the top happened to be the friend of the classification supervisor who basically did all she could to get him where he is at and he says that he will do his damnest to get this cleared and set straight. I pray he does because this is BS!

Good luck to you Missy.
    In our case the protest would be from the victim..........

It seems no matter what he does he hits a brick wall in there just like your husband. He has also submitted close to 20 I-60's to be considered for s2 status and they are just ignored. He was a peer educator, taught the health classes to other inmates, taken all the classes, gotten associate degrees and now just transferred on Friday to Hughes unit and is going to be taking classes there for his 4 year degree.

I feel so helpless in so many ways and he never asks me for anything but I try and do what I can and call whomever I can but in all honesty most of the time feel like its all for nothing....there is no rhyme or reason to the TDCJ system which is sad. He was originally approved to transfer to Ramsey unit for the 4 year program there and at the last minute was denied but approved to go to Hughes...i called everybody I could think of to call to find out a reason, and got about 20 different answers!! Typical!!

Good luck to you all as well! Happy New Year to us all!!

glendiana2011

In our case the protest would be from the victim..........

It seems no matter what he does he hits a brick wall in there just like your husband. He has also submitted close to 20 I-60's to be considered for s2 status and they are just ignored. He was a peer educator, taught the health classes to other inmates, taken all the classes, gotten associate degrees and now just transferred on Friday to Hughes unit and is going to be taking classes there for his 4 year degree.

I feel so helpless in so many ways and he never asks me for anything but I try and do what I can and call whomever I can but in all honesty most of the time feel like its all for nothing....there is no rhyme or reason to the TDCJ system which is sad. He was originally approved to transfer to Ramsey unit for the 4 year program there and at the last minute was denied but approved to go to Hughes...i called everybody I could think of to call to find out a reason, and got about 20 different answers!! Typical!!

Good luck to you all as well! Happy New Year to us all!!
    Missy, I am so sorry to hear that!!! The sad thing about all of this, it seems like the system can do what they want, when they want and to whomever they want because they can. It will take persistence (one way or another) from you (as an outsider) because as my husband said, "they won't do anything for the offender". That is probably why they retaliated, because my husband's wife (ME) was going to find out reasons why and when they didn't give them to me, I went to the top and in my case, the top was as corrupt as corrupt can get and they didn't want anyone messing with THEIR system therefore the end result on our end (my attorney seems to believe this in our case)!

But I keep a positive attitude and supportive friends on here that I can bounce things off on and because I know that our paper trail will prove otherwise and with an attorney at their coat tails, I know that something will give either way. I pray for the best.

Happy New Year to you and your family. I do hope that you can find a way to get this fixed because as my husband says; an offender can do all the right things yet they are treated like crud!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information