+ Reply to Thread

Default Texas SAFP Program

My step son is being considered for Safe-P coming out of Denton County. Anyone have any experience with the program? Public defender had me prepare a package of his medical history and his counseling experiences, but now we are just in a holding pattern waiting for him to be evaluated and then either accepted or not? If accepted, any idea what happens next? There seems to be so little information available on the web about eligablity and approach? Any insight would be helpful. thanks

Veteran Member

Welcome to J-Pay I'm sorry that i can't answer your question but i'm sure someone will come along and give u some insight.

MissingMyWife

Quote Originally Posted by learntowalk View Post
    My step son is being considered for Safe-P coming out of Denton County. Anyone have any experience with the program? Public defender had me prepare a package of his medical history and his counseling experiences, but now we are just in a holding pattern waiting for him to be evaluated and then either accepted or not? If accepted, any idea what happens next? There seems to be so little information available on the web about eligablity and approach? Any insight would be helpful. thanks
    SAFP or (Substance Abuse Felony Punishment) is a intense 6 month substance abuse treatment program.
    Click on this shortcut and in the upper left corner you will see a search bar type SAFP and search that should give you any info you need. You can also search old threads here about it I am sure there are plenty
    http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/index.html

I hope this helps!

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jpay. I don't know anything about SAFP personally but my son worked with a guy that said it was great. Said it saved his life. Hope he gets into the program.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Veteran Member

My man went to SAFP at the end of 2008 for six months. I'd be glad to answer your questions. Some things may have changed some since then but it still should be similar.
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Thanks EHJ...so here's my first few....a) Who decides if he get's in besides the judge? is it a "recommended by" and who has to agree-DA, public defender and the program? b) if he gets in, any feeling for how long to get in-we've heard anywhere from a few weeks to months to a year? c) what's the difference between SAFP and ITPC? d) we are hearing from the public defender that the PO is only agreeing if there is "intensive probation" afterward, which sounds like my husband and I would be running a home jail which does not appeal to us-what happens if the inmate needs to get housing? If we are not agreeable to him coming back to us, does that impact his chances? f) what actually is the program? reviews I have seen range from "it saved my life" to "it's a crock" with little inbetween-I get that rehab is what the addict makes of it, but am trying to get some pespective on whether the program has merit-the public defender thinks my step son would be better with a short term pen stay and parole vs rehab and intensive supervision as he thinks the kid can not handle the supervision portions and the judge check ins based on his unability to handle deferred adjucitation terms. Sorry for the questions-perhaps you can not answer all, but any direction would be great! thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information