+ Reply to Thread

Default Texas Prison Bookstore ?

I read about a book and stationery supply store in the forum called www.texasprisonbookstore.com and I was wondering what was your experience and how was the service. I dont have alot of money so wanna make the best of it. But my baby is requesting books and stuff and seems pretty reasonable. I ordered from amazon and that cost 3.99 shipping per book and was getting to expensive as fast as he reads. So looking to take care of his reading and writing material together. thanks in advance.

i have heard good stuff about this site .my step mother uses them . i personally have not used them i go to hastings book store and they have a flat rate of five dollars to ship no matter how many books you ship . or if i am just shipping paper and envelopes i will go to office depo .

I use this company. They are really quick to ship out. My son loves the book titles they send. I have sent bunches of books and he has never gotten the same book twice. he gets books by great arthurs like John Grisham, Stephen King and Robert Cook. Try ordering and if ya like em use them again if not well your hunny got some good books to read.

Under the Dome, Digital fortress, The Lost Symbol..couldn't find anywhere on that website I could order or special order these books..

Veteran Member

Borders also has a flat shipping rate of $5.00 and they get there within a few days. I've gone to Borders on a Monday and he's had the books on Thursday everytime.

I know, I was just looking at that Texas Prison Book Store website specifically. People keep yucking that website up so much, I just wanted to see what kind of selection they had for myself. I noticed a few people that have come on here and commented about the webite, were new members.

Some of these new members have only single post to their credit, it is a commenting about how wonderful the Texas prison Book Store is. I noticed on the website, JPay also has a link. I am thinking there is a covert ad campaign going on here, to boost sales on the website. But hey, it isn't what can be proven, it is only what's known.

I spend quite a bit through JPay and respect the service they provide me, so if they just made a blatant plug for the website by putting ads up throughout all the forums, it would be understandable and acceptable. Instead this ad campaign full posts touting a website, that quite frankly doesn't seem all that great, are both obvious and annoying at times.

AD

All I can share is my personal experience... I have used this business on several occasions and have yet to have anything rejected at the prison. Not to argue... but if you want to special order they will do that... You just have to call or email them ...I have had a few special books ordered. They were even kind enough to provide my honey with the morning spiritual mediation The Word for you Today... So Missing Him Today this comes from an actual customer of theirs. I hope you find the best service for YOUR needs.
    In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at
    heart. --Anne Frank

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    I know, I was just looking at that Texas Prison Book Store website specifically. People keep yucking that website up so much, I just wanted to see what kind of selection they had for myself. I noticed a few people that have come on here and commented about the webite, were new members.

Some of these new members have only single post to their credit, it is a commenting about how wonderful the Texas prison Book Store is. I noticed on the website, JPay also has a link. I am thinking there is a covert ad campaign going on here, to boost sales on the website. But hey, it isn't what can be proven, it is only what's known.

I spend quite a bit through JPay and respect the service they provide me, so if they just made a blatant plug for the website by putting ads up throughout all the forums, it would be understandable and acceptable. Instead this ad campaign full posts touting a website, that quite frankly doesn't seem all that great, are both obvious and annoying at times.

AD

I went there myself to see if JPay really had a link there on that website like you were saying but they do not.

The Link is for PAYPAL which is a company that you can set up with to pay for items on line they transfer the money out of your bank account or credit card, also you can sell items on line and have the funds transfered into your bank account. They do not charge you for the service of buying an item they get a percentage from the seller for the transaction.

I will toot the horn for PAYPAL I've used them for many years on EBay and they are a legite company they cover you for anything you say did not turn out right with the transaction....

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDust View Post
    I went there myself to see if JPay really had a link there on that website like you were saying but they do not.

The Link is for PAYPAL which is a company that you can set up with to pay for items on line they transfer the money out of your bank account or credit card, also you can sell items on line and have the funds transfered into your bank account. They do not charge you for the service of buying an item they get a percentage from the seller for the transaction.

I will toot the horn for PAYPAL I've used them for many years on EBay and they are a legite company they cover you for anything you say did not turn out right with the transaction....
    Check this page out. The upper right corner, a text link that says JPay Services..

http://www.texasprisonbookstore.com/about.htm

AD

Just checked out that website and was not impressed. Selection of books very slim and I would not order a packet of books w/o knowing what was in them. I have been using B&N for several years with great success. I usually catch special on line offers along with free shipping on orders over $25.00 (No this is NOT a promo for B&N). My son also orders from another bookseller in the Midwest using his commissary $$. Can't remember the name of it. He keeps a stash of books for lockdowns.

Boy Hidie Ya'll really have me confused now...lol...Im gonna go ahead and place an order it seems to me the ones who have actually used their service are very satisfied. So will let yall know how it turns out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by billgr40 View Post
    Just checked out that website and was not impressed. Selection of books very slim and I would not order a packet of books w/o knowing what was in them. I have been using B&N for several years with great success. I usually catch special on line offers along with free shipping on orders over $25.00 (No this is NOT a promo for B&N). My son also orders from another bookseller in the Midwest using his commissary $$. Can't remember the name of it. He keeps a stash of books for lockdowns.
    I order through the cheapest source also, and never had a problem with anything getting to my significant other. Amazon and Borders are my first choices, although I wouldn't count Barnes and Noble out either. Hastings is another one I have used in the past, just not recently.

It might be a little different, being that my significant other is a woman, she likes to pick out what she wants in supplies. The TDCJ has never placed a surcharge on her commissary account, like someone in another thread attested to. Maybe the guys don't mind the women sending their supplies through a store, and that is good for them or anyone else that wants to do it. But I agree with billgr40, the selection as far as books goes at the TX prison Book Store, is marginal at best.

AD

Senior Super Moderator

Question

Check this page out. The upper right corner, a text link that says JPay Services..

http://www.texasprisonbookstore.com/about.htm

AD
    Does anyone else see this link?

AD could you try to click on the link and see where it takes you...

For me I see paypal and some godaddy.com / neither are text links but each it's own picture box link...
    Last edited by TexasDust; 03-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.

The TDCJ has never placed a surcharge on her commissary account, like someone in another thread attested to. Maybe the guys don't mind the women sending their supplies through a store, and that is good for them or anyone else that wants to do it.

AD
    Thats if the State of Texas doesnt keep a percent of their commissary funds for restitution. they do that to some people and for me I like for my son to be able to buy Tootsie roll pops and coffee. I almost cried when he said mom thanks for getting me wrighting supplies so I can use my money for aloe vera cream, tootsie pops, and coffee. he said they dont get much sweet food in there so he eats suckers...I would have fiqured they atleast got a snack cake every now and then. He also has to pay 22.00 for a 9 inch fan I can buy for 8.00 at the store...talk about over charge...Have a GOoD Night.

This is the post you are referring to please see the below link it is a fact.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...rustfunds.html This is where that information came from. I feel people should be aware of this FACT. And no I dont see the attested link either.
    Last edited by Dudho; 03-01-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Remember those who are in prison, as though You are in prison with them

I read the article. If that is how the state handles things that is fine by me. If the state told me I had to support my ex-wife, I would do that too. If they want a few extra dollars to pay for the cost of the legal process, the taxpayers are probably entitled to it. It is called BAGGAGE, like everything unique about the people we choose to love in the correctional system, we have to accept certain circumstances. I am fortunate, my ex-wife does not have any outstanding court costs, so there is no garnishment. This is the first I have heard of that process, it sounds like just another way the state helps an inmate clear their debt though.

AD

Veteran Member

Does anyone else see this link?

AD could you try to click on the link and see where it takes you...

For me I see paypal and some godaddy.com / neither are test links but each it's own picture box link...
    Earlier today I went to Texas Prison Bookstore thru the link in here and at the top of the page that lists the areas of the site in white there was one that said JPay Services and when you clicked on it it went to the JPay site. I just checked now and it has disappeared. Very odd.
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Senior Super Moderator

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EJH222 View Post
    Earlier today I went to Texas Prison Bookstore thru the link in here and at the top of the page that lists the areas of the site in white there was one that said JPay Services and when you clicked on it it went to the JPay site. I just checked now and it has disappeared. Very odd.
    On Feb 28th I went to the site and looked it all up and down, every page, every tab that could be clicked on and did not see any banner or link from JPay there. and today I was going over everything again even to the point of Refreshing the page to full quality to see If I was missing it cause it was blurry or something I even took the cursor over the pictures of the top of the page to see if any of them was a link cause like AD some things make me wonder.

I can see who is who and who is really only one person on here.

But as far as I am concerned it does not bother me if JPay has there banner on all websites or certian websites whether they make a profit here or there.

If what they offer is a better deal then the next business it is better for me and others if we can save money IF we REALLY want to use the service.

My concern was I didn't see any JPay Link since the first time The book store link was put on this site, which was awhile ago Feb 18th, but I only checked to see if it was a legite site to order from for the Texas Inmates, so it puzzeled me...

Thought PayPal was getting confused for JPay...

MY THOUGHT JPAY WHERE EVER YOU GOT YOUR LINK OR BANNER POSTED UP AT
    Last edited by TexasDust; 03-01-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks MSP and Dudho I placed an order and all went well. I recommend this site.

On Feb 28th I went to the site and looked it all up and down, every page, every tab that could be clicked on and did not see any banner or link from JPay there. and today I was going over everything again even to the point of Refreshing the page to full quality to see If I was missing it cause it was blurry or something I even took the cursor over the pictures of the top of the page to see if any of them was a link cause like AD some things make me wonder.

I can see who is who and who is really only one person on here.

But as far as I am concerned it does not bother me if JPay has there banner on all websites or certian websites whether they make a profit here or there.

If what they offer is a better deal then the next business it is better for me and others if we can save money IF we REALLY want to use the service.

My concern was I didn't see any JPay Link since the first time The book store link was put on this site, which was awhile ago Feb 18th, but I only checked to see if it was a legite site to order from for the Texas Inmates, so it puzzeled me...

Thought PayPal was getting confused for JPay...

MY THOUGHT JPAY WHERE EVER YOU GOT YOUR LINK OR BANNER POSTED UP AT
    Since someone else in this thread saw the link to JPay, it did exist. I went there and it is gone now too. I wasn't getting it confused with Paypal.

It just seemed like a lot of new users were showing up and dedicating their only post on this website, to using the Book Store. Blatant plugs are one thing, completely acceptable, mis-prepresentation is yet another. It seems like the covert spamming has slowed down though, and someone had eyes on this website, since the JPay link was removed almost immediately. Too bad the link to JPay was removed, it was probably the most worthwhile link on the entire website.

AD

AD

Senior Super Moderator

Wink

Since someone else in this thread saw the link to JPay, it did exist. I went there and it is gone now too. I wasn't getting it confused with Paypal.

It just seemed like a lot of new users were showing up and dedicating their only post on this website, to using the Book Store. Blatant plugs are one thing, completely acceptable, mis-prepresentation is yet another. It seems like the covert spamming has slowed down though, and someone had eyes on this website, since the JPay link was removed almost immediately. Too bad the link to JPay was removed, it was probably the most worthwhile link on the entire website.

AD

AD
    I am not doubting it was there, I just didn't see it, I tried to find it, I believe since you mentioned it, they probably got worried that they had the link up without permission and took it down! I think JPay would allow it if they were asked if they could fly a JPay banner over there or have a link up for JPay.

That is a question for Admin. anyway I also believe you are right on, on your assumption of plugging the site.

I wasnt saying it was not there either but I've been there a couple times and purchased items and never seen it...but I am half blind and I wasnt looking for a jpay link...
    Remember those who are in prison, as though You are in prison with them

There is another site that has books and stationary that I use. They ship the same day and also have a flat rate shipping of $4.95. They can get any book out there and even send magazines. You just have to ask them if you don't see it on their site. www.wck-corp.net

gordostia

well me personally hav been buying things for th past year and i think th texas bookstore is over priced to be honest i now only use overstock.com you only pay 2.99 for the entire shipment where as at th bookstore you pay 3.99 per item sent.Hope that helps

I only use them for envelopes- they send them preprinted w/his name and TDCJ number (Remember, if you send your honey 100 envelopes or more, they have to stand at the mailroom counter and put their name and number on EVERY envelope, book, pad of paper...).

If your loved one doesn't care the condition they're in, this site offers book boxes- a bunch of books for 10-25.00 plus shipping, grouped by genre (mystery, romance, thriller, etc.). They also sell used titles as low as .25-.50 cents each. Just search "book box" to find out what specials are available, or you can search the typical way- author, title, etc. I've sent my husband 3 huge boxes of books.

http://www.1stchoiceusedbooks.com/

We rode it out- He's HOME!

For TexasPrisonBookstore.com the coupon code FREESHIPPING works and you pay nothing for shipping.
    ***MIJA***
    Missing Him...
    But I know that each day that passes is another day closer to being back in my arms once again...

Time and Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle;
    rather a great reminder of just how strong TRUE LOVE can be.

Veteran Member

That's great to know. Thanks.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

I couldnt get the code to work... UGH!

Veteran Member

The code worked for me this morning! Thanks Mija!
    Posted via Mobile Device

You're welcome malewis48 & lf00251! I'm glad I could help!
    Last edited by Mija; 09-10-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    ***MIJA***
    Missing Him...
    But I know that each day that passes is another day closer to being back in my arms once again...

Time and Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle;
    rather a great reminder of just how strong TRUE LOVE can be.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixisrisen View Post
    I only use them for envelopes- they send them preprinted w/his name and TDCJ number (Remember, if you send your honey 100 envelopes or more, they have to stand at the mailroom counter and put their name and number on EVERY envelope, book, pad of paper...).

If your loved one doesn't care the condition they're in, this site offers book boxes- a bunch of books for 10-25.00 plus shipping, grouped by genre (mystery, romance, thriller, etc.). They also sell used titles as low as .25-.50 cents each. Just search "book box" to find out what specials are available, or you can search the typical way- author, title, etc. I've sent my husband 3 huge boxes of books.

http://www.1stchoiceusedbooks.com/
    I've sent my son 200 envelopes and they gave them all to him and just told him to write his info in the return address, which he hasn't. He said if someone needs an envelope he has an unaddressed one to give them. I also sent him 500 sheets of notebook paper, both items from Amazon. He said the legal pads cost $1.50. I sent legal pads and he couldn't have them because they have staples in them. But they staple the letters he gets and give them to him. Guess prison staples are approved.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information