+ Reply to Thread

Default How long does it take for the parole board to make a decision?

Could those of you that went through a parole review let me know how long it took for you to get the answer back, I've been waiting a month now and I'm wondering how much longer I'm going to have to wait.

Veteran Member

Do you know for sure that his file actually has been seen? you called and verified? If so... it took about a week for a decision. I called the parole board every week until thy had his file in their hands then called for the decision.. I knew before anyone else did and they didnt send out his notice until 2 weeks later.. sometimes it takes a while.. Hope it all goes well for you .
    Together we can accomplish anything

And by that I mean GOD...

Veteran Member

My guy's parole was in review since January 14. When I called two weeks ago the nastiest person told me to call back in June even though the IPO told him it would take 1 to 3 months for the decision. I decided to just give it a try today and they said he was APPROVED yesterday. They said he has to finish a class first. I called back a little bit later and that person said he should be out in October. I still don't know what class or if he's staying where he is. I sent him an jpay letter to let him know. So keep calling once a week to check no matter what they tell you at first. I'm still so excited even though I don't have details yet. Good Luck!
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Veteran Member

well EJH.. my guy got approved in Nov 09 and he has to take a pre-release class called changes.. that was suppose to be 90 days. but due to lockdown and holidays its taking longer.. but hey he got approved.. i hope he gets his class done and gets out.. tell him to just chill out and stay out of the way.. good luck to ya!

So are you calling the Austin status line? That's what I'm calling. I don't know if they actually have his file, I just know that when I call the status line they say it's still in review. He went in front of the parole board Feb 1st, so it's been about a month.

Veteran Member

Thanks luvinhim and good luck to y'all too. Wendolyn, yes I called the Austin number that they listed in the letter I got back from them after I sent in his packet and support letters. My guy saw his IPO on January 14. Before Friday they would only say he was in review also so just call once a week anyway. Good Luck.
    Last edited by EJH222; 03-01-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Veteran Member

yeah i called the parole board until they said yes or no.. but those are the people saying it was " in review" then once its been decided i started calling austin.. and right now they are just waiting on the unit to send in a copy of the certificate saying he finished the class.. once he completes that . ( april 3) then we can look for an exact date.. its alot of leg work but yeah just stay on them. Good to ya both.

My man's been in review since Feb.1 also that's what i was told when i called, he's in willacy county right now but can you please let me know when you get an answer that way i can know more or less how long i'm gonna have to wait to get an answer please.

Unhappy review

Mine went up for review in December and when i call the status line they say his file has been pulled and he is still in review and no decision has been made for me to call back in April is this taking long a good thing?

My husbands file was pulled on Jan 5. The IPO interview was on Jan 28, and the palestine board had his file on March 5 and his vote was in on March 19. He was approved with an FI-3R and is scheduled to be released in August directly from the Beto Unit. The status line in Austin is the very last people to get the information because they told me to call back in May. I hung up on her and got my answer from the IPO office and confirmed it with tha palestini board office. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

congrats! I'm so happy for you. It gives me hope.

I always call the Parole Board in Hunstville. I think last year it took anywhere from 2-6 weeks before they gave us an answer.
    Forever Mine and Eternally Yours

Hello I have someone who is at Beto Unit waiting on an answer for Parole. What type of sentence and charge did your loved one have?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendolyn View Post
    Could those of you that went through a parole review let me know how long it took for you to get the answer back, I've been waiting a month now and I'm wondering how much longer I'm going to have to wait.
    Wendolyn my husband has been up for review since jan 4 and just got interviewed march 22 so im wondering how long it takes too so if you find out please let me know and good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Did your love one have an interview with the IPO Officer? They estimate 6 to 8 months before they receive an answer but most of the weight bares on how fast the IPO can interview the Offender and put the file together and forward it to the board. If there is no IPO interview yet then it might be awhile but if there is an IPO Interview you then can call every week until you receive an answer because it goes all pretty fast after the IPO Interview.

Also, I see that receiving an answer can vary from person to person. Some receive it just a week or within a week after the IPO interview while some take a few weeks or longer. Just depends. Good luck!

I agree with JP0619...It depends on many things. The offense, sentence, etc. The unit IPO must interview the person first. That IPO goes down a checklist(yes, it's literally a checklist that TDCJ parole division publishes), complete the checklist, add case notes then forwards it to Huntsville. From there it's processed further, and finally it's sent to the Board that the particular unit is assigned to.

As soon as I learned which Board will be voting on our daughter's case, I stopped calling Huntsville(since they were a "middle man"), and started calling directly to the Angleton Board, where the vote would be held. I called weekly until I found out the actual date they would be voting. And I put in request for a telephone interview. Then The Monday before the actual vote(Thursday), I faxed over our support packet to them. I got a call from the lead voter on Wednesday, and had that telephone interview. Then she told me they would be voting on Thursday(the day after the telephone interview), and I could call Friday to find out the result. I called Friday morning, and was informed that she was approved for parole with an FI-1 vote.

So for some it goes very quickly, but for others it seems to drag on forever. BTW, our daughter's sentence was 2 years. Her charge was parole violation, and the original charge was possession of controlled substance >1gm, <4gms.

You might want to start calling the board that your loved one's unit is assigned to for more up-to-date info.

Hope that helps. God Bless!
    Last edited by joe817; 04-04-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe817 View Post
    I agree with JP0619...It depends on many things. The offense, sentence, etc. The unit IPO must interview the person first. That IPO goes down a checklist(yes, it's literally a checklist that TDCJ parole division publishes), complete the checklist, add case notes then forwards it to Huntsville. From there it's processed further, and finally it's sent to the Board that the particular unit is assigned to.

As soon as I learned which Board will be voting on our daughter's case, I stopped calling Huntsville(since they were a "middle man"), and started calling directly to the Angleton Board, where the vote would be held. I called weekly until I found out the actual date they would be voting. And I put in request for a telephone interview. Then The Monday before the actual vote(Thursday), I faxed over our support packet to them. I got a call from the lead voter on Wednesday, and had that telephone interview. Then she told me they would be voting on Thursday(the day after the telephone interview), and I could call Friday to find out the result. I called Friday morning, and was informed that she was approved for parole with an FI-1 vote.

So for some it goes very quickly, but for others it seems to drag on forever. BTW, our daughter's sentence was 2 years. Her charge was parole violation, and the original charge was possession of controlled substance >1gm, <4gms.

You might want to start calling the board that your loved one's unit is assigned to for more up-to-date info.

Hope that helps. God Bless!
    Congratulations! Glad to hear the process went well for you two!

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post
    Congratulations! Glad to hear the process went well for you two!
    Thanks! Your kind words are deeply appreciated.

The parole plan was approved the following Wednesday, and the Release Cert. was printed 2 days later! That's lightening speed as far as I'm concerned.

But here it is now 25 days after the Rel.Cert. was printed, and 40 days since the FI-1 vote and STILL no release date set. (sigh). Nothing to do but keep praying, and keep calling.
    "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe817 View Post
    Thanks! Your kind words are deeply appreciated.

The parole plan was approved the following Wednesday, and the Release Cert. was printed 2 days later! That's lightening speed as far as I'm concerned.

But here it is now 25 days after the Rel.Cert. was printed, and 40 days since the FI-1 vote and STILL no release date set. (sigh). Nothing to do but keep praying, and keep calling.
    That's quite a turn around. Very fast on everything...except the release date. Hopefully it's soon. At least the hard part is over and the good part is about to begin :-)

wow, I posted this when I was waiting for his decision last year and got my answer about a week after that post, the first week in March, this year still waiting. But Curtis told me it was okay cuz a few guys are getting set offs and if that's what they're giving out now, he can wait a few more weeks! It does make me kinda nervous hearing of guys getting set offs but I don't think that they necessarily give out any one answer at one time, I think when they vote they send out the answer if its a set off or an Fisomething. But answers are coming back from those that interviewed in Jan, Curtis' file was pulled in Nov, so I guess they're taking their time getting them back 6-8 months

Veteran Member

wow, I posted this when I was waiting for his decision last year and got my answer about a week after that post, the first week in March, this year still waiting. But Curtis told me it was okay cuz a few guys are getting set offs and if that's what they're giving out now, he can wait a few more weeks! It does make me kinda nervous hearing of guys getting set offs but I don't think that they necessarily give out any one answer at one time, I think when they vote they send out the answer if its a set off or an Fisomething. But answers are coming back from those that interviewed in Jan, Curtis' file was pulled in Nov, so I guess they're taking their time getting them back 6-8 months
    I do pray for you and Curtis! I pray so hard that he comes home to you! I know how the wait is and it drives me insane. I "gave up" on the whole Parole thing for another 2-3 months. At first when my husband was pulled in November 2010 I was psyched and hopeful. Now he's in another phase thanks to TDCJ so I probably say another 2-3 months before they vote on him...

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, I guess 2-3 months is better than a year set off, Curtis might get a program but we both say, at least we know when he's coming home

Default Parole Review???

Hi I'm new to this my husband was just told he was eligible for parole he was at the middleton unit then was transfered to holiday and then to Beto to a trusty farm in a few days and I called the number on the parole board site and they said he's still in review. What number do I need to be calling? And how long do you think I have??

Veteran Member

Good luck. I'm sure they don't get in any hurry for anyone.
    Last edited by browneyedgirl3325; 09-23-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Cross Posting
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

since i am new at this.how do you send in a packet? whats goes in it?

Red face does it really take three months to get a decision fron the texas parole board?

hi, my son has been in the eastham unit for awhile now and today he had a parole review today they told me it takes three months? i am wondering if this is true he got sentenced to 5 yrs he has been in for 4 yrs he has not been in any trouble in two yrs can anyone give me some info on this? also will he be released from there or will they move him some where else? thank you for your time may god bless you all

Veteran Member

I think eastham releases from Huntsville unit. It does take about 3 months from when they are interviewed by the IPO at the unit from what I know to get an answer. The IPO does the interview and then makes their reccomendation. That gets typed up and sent to the parole board for them to make the determination. Now a lot of files are now on computer which makes it all faster so it can be quicker. We are going thru the same thing right now so feel free to get with me about it.

Default how long does it actually take

I'm new to this site and I have taken the time to go thru some of your responses to our question. My sweetie is at pine grove on a parole violation with a new charge. he saw the parole board on the 3rd of October and I called them last week @(717) 772-4343 they said that it takes at least 12 weeks, is that true?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information