+ Reply to Thread

Default Conditions At Plane State Jail in Texas

I have been visiting my wife at the Plane State Jail in Dayton, Texas now for 2 months. We have just received our first contact visit and it was great to hold her in my arms. At each visit we discuss what is going on inside and it horrifies to me to no end. From the beginning she has informed that on several occassions the ovens in the kitchen don't work, the dishwashers are broke and have been since got there in July. During the time she has been there she has related that at least 3 women have died of heat exhaustion. On a couple of occassions she has made chow hall at 9:30 at night only to get there and be told all the food is gone, good thing I keep her commissary account with money. Also upon entering the chow hall they are then LOCKED in so as to not let the state health people sneak up on them. The dishes that they eat out of are not even washed in a sanitary manner. They scrape the food off, dip it one bucket and then dip in another and put it back on the line. Now to me that is very disgusting, who knows what the person ahead of you has or is infected with. Now I am all new to this whole thing and it has been such an eye opener. These women in there are HUMAN beings and should be treated as such. Now I understand that a jail is not to be a " country club", but for Gods sake some sense of common decensy should be in order. Word so far as I mingle with other families that this unit is under serious investigation for various and serious violations. I am trying to find out if anyone out there has heard anything else that they would like to share with me.

I don't know anything about it, but those conditions are horrible. Hopefully something will fix it
    DREAMS ARE LIKE STARS...you may never touch them, But if you FOLLOW THEM, they will lead you to your DESTINY...

Veteran Member

I don't know anything about it either but nobody should be in those conditions. I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed some light on the unit. Try contacting the Ombudsman and see if that will do any good. It also can't hurt to contact the health department and any political officials you can think of.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Oh My God!! I have just read your post and I have my girlfriend at Plane, She came from Jefferson county jail and she said that was a hellhole, I thought when she got to Plane it would be better. I have sent her money to try and help, she is used to hardship but this sounds like abuse. No not abuse TORTURE!. what is wrong with the keepers of the SYSTEM. I am glad that she will be out fairly soon, but I think any money that they are required to spend on basic needs are being put in the KEEPERS pockets. they have the system backwards, perhaps the jailers should be offered a chance to change places with the inmates, I will send her more money now just to help all I can. I have more than I need and can afford to help her. And to think I have some people want me to test her by withholding money to see if she is scamming me. Im putting more money in her account right after this letter.
    Hang in there Man and God will make these Scum Jailers Pay, there is a special level of HELL reserved for them.

Hey tankyou, thanks for the response. I was horrified and disgusted when she told me of these atrocities. I have tried contacting anyone I can think of and have never heard bak. But as I told my wife, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I intend on squeaking like hell. Well I don't know what will come of anything but I too am hopeful that her release date will be sooner then later. I have been there and there have been some of the guards that are pretty decent to the women. Oh and get this the last 3 weeks they have been having "picture " day. Now who in their right friggin mind would want a photo taken in that enviroment. I told them this is the last place on earth I want a picture of or be reminded of. They said they were 5 bucks each and it all goes to charity, yeah right! Alright man I shall get off here, may God bless you and your lady and may he keep her safe in his graces. What pod is she in? My wife is in C pod.

Angry

Another visit down and making tracks to maximum date or hopefully seeing parole. We had a great visit and it was good to see her laugh and smile. The situation there does not seem to be getting any better. They had issued the women there blankets for the cooler weather we had coming, one lady complained of the semll and they were "all" taken away and were told they were being "washed" and would be redistributed soon. I spoke with the warden on duty and asked when they would be returned and all I got was an answer that seemed to say "Oh well". Now I know it don't seem like we get cold weather here in south Texas but it does on occassion dip into the50's and 60's at night. Now, when all you have are the clothes you wear and ONE sheet its kinda hard to stay warm. When I met with my wife and held her hands it felt like she just stepped out of a deep freeze. Then later that day we she was passing the chow hall she noticed the entire kitchen staff was up against the wall and it was locked down. Come to find out they said that happened because someone "lost" their keys. This took all afternon as they had to conduct a "special" count. Well the upside is i got to be in her presence with no glass between us. I believe we can make it thru this and come out stronger. To one and all have a blessed day and never stop BELIEVING!

That is great news that you had a good visit, I could only wish living in Minnesota no chance of travel. I have only received one letter so far from her there, I have no idea what cell she is in? she was what do they say "pull chain"? on Sept 19th from the Jefferson county jail and sent her to Plane. I think I read that they have to wait a month before being able to use the phone. I have it set up just waiting for it to ring. she was without any money and I put some in her jpay account and ordered her some paper and envelopes.
    She is scheduled to be released in Feb. I sure hope that she is taking care of in that place. I know she is strong and able to take care of herself. but i do Believe and pray everyday. thanks for all the information.

Oh I forgot to ask when they are at Plane State do they have a 30 day wait period before they can use the phone? I know that something about in processing until they get to there unit?

I really don't want to discourage of scare anyone but Plane State Jail is a hellhole. I just came home from being there for nine months and the conditions are horrid. Please if it is in your power support your loved one. Don't get me wrong there are some who work there who care but the majority of the staff especially the medical are the most uncaring people you can imagine. I get it we are in jail but I do feel that the ladies there do deserve to be treated human. I am still trying to find ways to expose the mistreatment of the women. If anyone has any information or resources please let me know. I plan to be a voice for the women incarcerated in subhuman conditions. My e-mail is tjmb1992@yahoo.com

Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with that facility but it sounds just awful. I think I would contact every government official I could think of.
    AS THE FIGHT GETS HARDER, I GET TOUGHER!!!!

Michelle, thank you for you input in this matter. I have been more then disgusted and put off by what I have seen there. I have to agree about the medical staff it is absolutely abhorrent. My wife had a tooth break and she had to wait two weeks before they did anything about it. Then when that butcher of a dentist actually got to her he tore my wifes mouth trying to climb in her mouth to pull the tooth. Then he had to take it in 3 pieces. I saw her after that and that side of her face was black and blue. Well I believe that maybe I have an avenue for our concerns, but I would like to check it out first. I will be traveling for the next three days and I will be back on here then. I pray that you will be a voice for the women as you have better knowledge then anyone else. I will not ever divulge my wifes name as there could reprucssions against her. She has a release dat of next April, but I'm pusshing the baord to get her out sooner. To one and all my God bless you and keep you in his grace. Thank you for reading and listening,lol.

I have just had a call actually two calls from my girlfriend in Plane .She just was allowed to call, She is doing ok and starting to get some money.She sounded great! but was cold she said. I told her to call me anytime she is feeling down or something has happened. she also talked about her time left, I guess the state did not count 180 days served and she needs to fix that. So she should be out in Feb of 2013 hopefully. It was just so good to hear her voice! and know she was ok. I am sure I will hear the horror stories about Plane and I just hope she gets out soon.
    she is going to call me again on Sat.
    thanks all and hope all your prayers are answered.

Hery man its great that you finally got to talk to her. I know when my wife got there it was just at a month that I finally got a letter. When that letter showed up I was ecstatic and relieved. True, hopefully she won't be there long and is out of that hellhole soon. Its gonna be hard for here to get her time served straightened out but I wish y'all the best of luck. Our lawyer had screwed up and took a plea deal on the wrong case, she had two charges against her. I had to run down all the paperwork, lawyer has since abandonded us, to find out the truth. Called the ADA on the case and he said that de didn't care what she plead to, either one, and our lwayer screwed it up. Punsihment would have been the same on either case, but it was still wrong. Good luck and God bless you and your girl.

Thank Wolfman. I feel sometimes the lawyers should be brought up on charges and give them more of a chance to serve some time when they screwup, they dont have any blood invested but will take your money faster than you can wink. The whole SYSTEM is a scam. I just got the letter from my girlfriend today and she is very happy to have gotten money that was desperately needed. I told her to buy some warm clothes food and new bra and underwear and stamps to. told her to call anytime she feels down and out and just needs to talk, she loved it and is in a much better mood and so am I. thanks bro

Tank, not a problem. For once I can truly say I know how you feel. The distance, the not knowing and then out of the blue you hear something. When they took my wife from county is was 3 weeks before I heard anyhting. And then after I did some digging around I finally found out where she was. You can track her on the TDCJ website and also find out anyhting that is going on, possible release dates and such. I wish you luck and you rlady too. My GOD continue to bless and keep y'all safe. Later.

trying to figure out when she can get out? she is in for minor drug nonviolent
    she was in Jefferson County Jail and got sent to Plane State Jail
    Maximum Sentence Date: 2015-04-28
    Current Facility: PLANE JAIL
    Projected Release Date: 2013-09-15
    Parole Eligibility Date: 2012-09-01

now the variables she said she has 180 days served that did not get counted yet? and she also said she got 38 days added to her time.
    So I figure she should be released sometime in the start of Feb 2013? if she gets approved for parol does that sound correct,

what I see as weird is that she got sent to Plane after she was eligible for parole?

My husband is in tdcj too,and about the food is something i am about to look into he sais that they only eat twice a day!!! I pissed!!!!!

Hi just talked to my girlfriend and she is doing good, YEA. She said that she got sent to the faith based group? and I think she said C pod?
    Wolfman is that the one your girlfriend is in?? I will send you a PM and tell you her name and perhaps you can tell your girlfriend if thats cool.
    anyway it was good to hear her voice and I cant wait for her to get out, and I am going to do everything in my power to keep her out.
    thanks and Keep the Faith.

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jpay Samnbaby. Yes, some of the units get only 2 meals a day and some get 3. That's why most keep food in their locker so they will have something to eat when they get hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by samnbaby View Post
    My husband is in tdcj too,and about the food is something i am about to look into he sais that they only eat twice a day!!! I pissed!!!!!
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Could I be changing my mind? On Wed Oct 10 I got an urgent phone call from my girlfriend and she just got bunk assignment at Plane, she said she got the top bunk. I thought ok so sleep in the top bunk no problem, well to my surprise she said she was having problems sleeping there? she told me that she had a seizure and fell out of the bunk while sleeping and hurt her arm, she went to medical and they were going to "write her up"?
    my response was are you ok?
    have you had seizures before?

I am thinking to myself WHAT THE HELL? are you defective, are you playing games? You are in Jail and you have to do what they tell you if you want to get out. if they tell you to sleep on the damn floor then do it just to get out. WHAT THE HELL?

she tells me that the girl in the bottom bunk has no restrictions and is much younger and would have no problem sleeping in the top bunk.
    I say not knowing the rules of jail never being in before "well switch with her"
    she tells me she cant -assigned bunks.

well then she said Call one of the guards and she is specific on who to call, said call Major Reagan, and if I cant get her to call Warden Black, she said the name of the other warden I forget her name but dont call her she is not nice, when I talk to them tell them I have a medical condition and have seizures and fall out of bed.
    I think to myself WHAT IN THE HELL DID I GET MYSELF INTO, I don't know a thing about your medical condition,but also I thought well I can be nice and at least try. WHO KNOWS?

I got the number to Plane State Jail and called, took a deep breath and when they answered I asked if I could please talk to Major Reagan, they were very nice and transferred me, it took a few minutes and the phone was passed a few time.
    all the time I am thinking to myself "what do I say, I dont want to be rude, but what do I say?"

Well the on the phone I finally hear "Major Reagan" I said very nice and polite and put a smile on my face, Hello I have a family friend who seem to have a problem and I was wondering if you might be able to help? she said what is the problem? I said my friend was just transferred to your facility and is having a problem with the sleeping bunk. she asked who it was and I gave her the name and number and simply that she fell out of her bunk last night and hurt her arm. and asked very nicely if she could perhaps be switched to a bottom bunk. Major Reagan told me that she could go to medical and they could reassign a lower bunk. I said I was sorry to bother her with such a petty issue and that if she could be switched to the bottom bunk it would help.
    Major Reagan said she would look into it and asked my name and phone number, I thanked her for her time an told her I was sorry to bother her again with this problem.

Yesterday Saturday the 13th I was expecting a call from my girlfriend, I waited all day by my Land Line for her to call. At about 5:00pm I decided to write her a jpay message thinking she forgot to call and call when she could. at about 5:30pm the phone finally rings, and it is her, she said that medical gave her some pills and she took them in the morning and slept all day. She said she was moved to the faith based group and she had a bottom bunk and thanked me over and over. I said I don't know if it was me that got them to change but thought to myself "Wow what a change of attitude and she sounded uplifted and happy". I talked to her for a while and we had a nice phone call. she asked me if I heard back from Major Reagan and I said no. after the phone call I wrote her a nice long love letter then went to bed,

Well today Sunday morning the phone rings, I pick it up and she said this is Major Reagan and she said she got the bunk assignments worked out and she is in the bottom bunk, I thought what a nice person she was -and thanked her over and over.
    I said have a wonderful day and she said thank you.

so the moral of the story I think is just be nice and don't be rude or overbearing and believe in GOD and our savior Jesus and they will help when help is needed.
    thanks for reading and have a good day!

Heard from my girl on Sat and Sun, she is finally doing much better. she said she is sleeping much better and she now is doing specialty jobs for Major Reagan. she just sounded like a different person, she went to the prison store and bought a lock for her personal stuff, new underwear, thermal socks,stamps and some food. it seems like a different person than she was in Jefferson county jail. she said Major Reagan was a very nice person and is treating her very decent. I told her how proud of her I was and said to do whatever they work they assign her. She also said she received some mail that I sent, it was a printout of the Texas state jail bookstore catalog and also some pictures I sent. She is so excited to have the prospect of moving to me in Minnesota, she said the area where Plane State Jail is in a heavy industry area and it has a foul smell, I told her where I live it is a forest area and fresh clean air, She really wants to get out of Texas bad, that is where all her bad experiences were and the change will be the best thing for her. I have also found out from our phone call that she does not drink, that is great because I don't either. we are so much alike it is uncanny. another great thing is our birthdays are 7 days apart, although I am 55 and she is 43 it works out great.
    So with all the bad that she went through it is so nice just to hear some small good. I told her to have faith in God stay strong and work hard.
    She will be out in a fairly short time, they are working on the date and the parole, but it will work out in the end.

My wife was a Plane when she first went in. She said that it was absolute hell...She has since been transferred to Henley which is next door. We thank God every day that she's no longer at Plane. They feed you when they want to and the food has a nauseating smell. She also confirmed that there have been death's linked to heat exhaustion. The guards are rude and treat them as non humans...She is a woman after Christ's own heart and we are waiting in prayer and faith for the day she leaves without issue. Tank you, You are correct...There is a place where they will be judged by how they treat inmates..At Peter's Gate...

MissingMyWife

Just a couple comments first I already feel a kinship as my wife is at plane and has been for awhile. Food and Health conditions are worse than you can imagine or than anyone has said. I would definatly support any action for change. Second the comment on how often prisoners are fed per tdcj guidlines they can go up 14 hours between meals I believe is what I read. Due to budget shortfalls in the State they are feeding the inmates only twice per day on weekends at Plane and likewise on other units. Third I did hear about the heat related stuff at Plane. One of the familys that sued regarding the unit in Dallas did win. That would not mean a whole heck of a lot though if were my loved one. Channel 11 news out of Houston did an article regarding the heat issues. If you want to read more google Texas Civil Rights Project. They are the ones who helped. Wolfman stay in touch and keep us up to date on how things are going. Michelle I pray that you and we all can figure out how to make a difference. If there is anything I can do just pm me. There is another girl on jpay I was reading that is quit fired up about changes within TDCJ her username is loveisneverrational. Maybe we can stand united and help make a difference. I Pray Gods Blessings on all who have ever been through any of this ansd I Pray for all of our loved ones

God Bless Each One of You!

Ok I live in Minnesota and I got a call from my girl on Sunday, She put me down for parole address and earlier on Sunday I actually saw some snowflakes, so it is cool enough. I have lived here for 30 years and would not could not live down south, the heat kills me and I melt. We talked a little about the weather and she is happy to be coming here. I can keep her warm and show her the secrets of cold weather, I love the cold it is refreshing and makes me feel alive. -30 below zero, when I went to Dallas for 2 weeks about 10 years ago, I could not leave the hotel room I would get massive headaches and when I was in the army I took basic training in Ft. Bliss, in El Paso. We went into the White Sands Desert. I almost died and will never return. Now we go to Coon Lake Ice fishing, drive your truck on the Ice cut some holes in the ice and put your tip-ups in and wait for the fish, sit in the truck and play games until the flag goes up then all hell breaks out trying to get the fish out. Pure Bliss. no I can never go back to the south. you can always put more clothes on but when you are to hot you cant take off your skin.
    How long is your girl going to be in Plane Missingmywife, my girls Projected Release Date: 2013-09-15 but her Parole Eligibility Date: 2012-09-01. she has been in Plane for just over a month and I have read that (I believe ) she has a min stay of 180 days?
    she was in jefferson county jail for almost a year. her Maximum Sentence Date: 2015-04-28.
    I have emailed Michelle and she is very nice, and yes a support system is needed for that place. I am trying to do all I can for my girl and have even contacted Major Reagan at the facility, she actually did help.
    God Bless and keep us all safe and strong.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information