+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Default Prison Reform Petition

Is anyone interested in signing a petition for prison reform (especially for such things as some sort of cooling system)? I will be happy to create a petition and email it to people to add their names/comments. Once we have enough names I will send it to all of our elected officials. I really think enough attention will get something done. And if we have enough names on a petition they will pay attention as that will be that many people that may vote them out of office. What do you think????
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Veteran Member

I am on board and you have my email address, but in case you forgot it, it's : tbean35@gmail.com. Great idea!!!

I would sign it!! My husband is in Segovia in Edinburg TX with NO AC!! Poor man goes outside because it's cooler out there than it is inside.

I'm in!!!! My hubby is in Edinburg as well but at Lopez...its so hot there!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Great. I'll get started on the wording. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Considering I am asking everyone to sign my petition about allowing inmates in TDC to make calls to their families outside the US I will definitely help by signing your petition.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by codysgirl11 View Post
    Considering I am asking everyone to sign my petition about allowing inmates in TDC to make calls to their families outside the US I will definitely help by signing your petition.
    Great. I'll be happy to sign your petition. I didn't know they couldn't call outside the US.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by faydid82 View Post
    I'm in!!!! My hubby is in Edinburg as well but at Lopez...its so hot there!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm sorry to hear your husband is in Edinburg. My husband tells me all the time how hot it is. Plus, he says it always smells like onions. ewww

Veteran Member

Ok, I've created the petition and sent it to Sotomayor2013 to add her name and distribute to family and friends to add theirs as well. If you would like to add your name please get your email address to me either on this thread or pm me with it and I'll send the petition to you. Once we have enough names to get some attention I will send to the elected officials and local newspapers. Let's make waves and get something done!
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Veteran Member

It's on the way.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

which unit are you going to get a petition started for?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadwicksgirl View Post
    which unit are you going to get a petition started for?
    For all Texas prisons, not a particular unit. That's why I'm asking everyone that has a friend or family member in a Texas prison to add their name to it and get their friends and family members to do the same. With enough names it will get the attention it deserves.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by malewis48 View Post
    For all Texas prisons, not a particular unit. That's why I'm asking everyone that has a friend or family member in a Texas prison to add their name to it and get their friends and family members to do the same. With enough names it will get the attention it deserves.
    I really applaud what you are doing and i 100% support it!! Lord knows i want my husband to be in some AC when the heat is WELL OVER 100 but with all the budget cuts and the fact that they are barely feeding them anymore doesnt give me much hope for them getting AC. My husband has lost close to 40 lbs since being locked up.. I ALWAYS made sure my husband was fed and i think that is what kills me the most.

Veteran Member

Thanks Doli. They find money for what they want to support. That's why I think if enough people will sign the petition it will get the attention it needs and they will find the money to install some type of cooling system such as water fans. I'm trying to do what I can.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by malewis48 View Post
    Thanks Doli. They find money for what they want to support. That's why I think if enough people will sign the petition it will get the attention it needs and they will find the money to install some type of cooling system such as water fans. I'm trying to do what I can.
    and like i said i FULLY support you!! I'm going to get everyone i kno to sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by doli.libhart View Post
    I would sign it!! My husband is in Segovia in Edinburg TX with NO AC!! Poor man goes outside because it's cooler out there than it is inside.
    Did you get my message Friday
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks so much malewis48. I don't suppose a lot of people know that TDC inmates can't make calls to family outside the USA as most I would spouses and family live in the US. I get one 5 minute call every 90 days if the warden approves it so that is why I started a petition about it because I have found that I am not the only one living outside of the US with a husband in a Texas prison. I think it's shameful that all inmates don't get calls to family especially considering TDC doesn't pay for the calls. One 5 minute call from my husband costs me $30! Here is the link to the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/all...lls-from-tdcj/.

Thanks, again.

Veteran Member

I'm in full support of this 100%!!!! Very great idea!

Veteran Member

Ok, folks I've set a cut-off date for the petition. I'm collecting names for it through September 15, 2011. I currently have 226 names. And I'm happy to have that many but would love it if we could double the names. I've been contacted by CURE (Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants) at http://www.curenational.org/cms/index.php about working with them on this issue as well as others. If you haven't already done so please check out their webpage. Among the other things they do they pay for fans for the indigents in Texas prisons. You can send them an email about any of your concerns. I just happened to send one about the heat in Texas prisons. When they responded I told them about the petition. If you haven't already done so please send me your name to add to my petition. I want to get as much publicity as I can about this problem in order to get something done about it. Thanks to everyone for their help and support!
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

Veteran Member

I would love to be apart of this..what can I do?
    "This is for the women who man caught a sentence
    Who gon be there for a minute but they didn't keep their distance
    They stayed home waiting on the phone
    And on visit day show up looking good smelling better, playing kissy face
    Just wanna let you know we appreciate" (TI- I got your back)

"Love is what makes the impossible possible"

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by lf00251 View Post
    I would love to be apart of this..what can I do?
    If you haven't already sent me your name and city to add to the petition please do so. Also, go to http://www.curenational.org/cms/index.php and email them about your feelings on the heat in Texas prisons. You may want to sign up for their newsletter as well. When I emailed them I offered to send the petition to help with their efforts on doing something about the heat. I was actually contacted and asked if I would be interested in attending a CURE meeting in the Dallas area. I said I definitely would. This site does a lot of good work, check them out. Thanks.
    Mary Lewis-Mosqueda
    Houston, TX

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information