+ Reply to Thread

Question Visitation at the Gurney Unit?!!?

Does anyone know how the visitaiton for a contact visit work at the gurney unit??Just wanna be prepared before i go up their in september to see my husband.

Veteran Member

My husband and I had one contact visit at Gurney Unit--our first contact--and it was probably our least favorite unit with contact visits. We had our visit during the winter time. My experience is that they are really picky on your clothing so dress as loose as you possibly can--loose jeans not too tight or form fitting, probably long skirts (I'm not too familiar with summertime attire); and so forth.

Simply bring in your car key, ID, and bag of quarters in a zip-lock bag $20 or $25 (depends on the unit). You go in the little "house-like" place and they check you in and print you out your visitation form and search you, then you proceed to the gate and go inside. After you enter, you give them the form and they direct you to the contact visit, give you a plate, and you go to the contact visit area. They assign you where you are to sit and sort of explain the rules of contact visitation.

You are allowed one kiss and one hug before and after visit and holding hands during visit. Minimum contact--no touching of face, body, etc. just holding hands and sitting there. When you get snacks you go to the vending machine with your plate and open the bag in front of them and place it on the plate and show them soda and you sit back down.

Overall, we survived our first contact and last contact visit at Gurney. Its one of the more strict units with contact visits compared to other units. They guards were pretty decent to me and not terribly bad. I had one instance where they felt my pants were too tight but since I was already through the gate they let me have our visit.

The best tip I ever discovered bring a change of clothes and shoes in case you are sent back. A extra pair of ants, shirt, and shoes. You don't want to turn back and go search for the local store to buy a change of shirt or pants or whatnot.

Good luck!

Have you been able to receive phone calls from gurney yet? If so, how long did you have to wait before you received your 1st call?

The Gurney Unit sucks. My husband is there and I absolutely hate it. The dress code is a major thing there. NO SHORTS, NO WHITE of any kind. No holes in any part of your clothing. The easiest way to put it is THE BAGGIER THE BETTER. They are really mean when it comes to what you wear. I go to visit every other saturday and in fact going on the 20th. I am going. I wear the same thing every time I go just so that I know I will get in. I have seen MANY ppl turned away for their clothing. The visiting room is even worse. You are so close to other ppl and what ever you take in has to be between your legs at all times. You wanna know anything more feel free to ask. Good luck with your visit though.
    AnnerNinner

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMitchell View Post
    Have you been able to receive phone calls from gurney yet? If so, how long did you have to wait before you received your 1st call?
    This visit was while he was transient to another unit. I can say that once they clear intake and are placed in general population they're able to make calls if you registered your landline and have your account set-up with Securus. It took me awhile to receive calls from my husband because I did not have a landline set-up for quite some time.

Yaay! Sounds like fun! I was looking forward to the contact visit, but now I am gonna be a nervous wreck, hoping I do not wear the wrong thing. I guess I need to go shopping..lol...that will be the fun part! I do have a landline and my number has been approved and I also have the account through securus..I was just wondering the time frame..he says all they have to do is record his voice...whatever that means.

Veteran Member

Yaay! Sounds like fun! I was looking forward to the contact visit, but now I am gonna be a nervous wreck, hoping I do not wear the wrong thing. I guess I need to go shopping..lol...that will be the fun part! I do have a landline and my number has been approved and I also have the account through securus..I was just wondering the time frame..he says all they have to do is record his voice...whatever that means.
    It's Voice Biometrics. They record their voice in the system and once it is accepted then they're good to go. This is a verification to make sure that they are the person making the call using their Pin Number and no one else is making calls using their Pin. This process is usually done during intake, as my husband went through intake at Gurney (11/2010) and they did it pretty much during that time he was in intake. He told me it can be hard to do it because its loud and they have to be able to record your name on the first try or so and if not then they will have to wait a number of days before they can try again.

As long as you have a house phone yur good....as long as they been processed then they have to add that number to there visitation list and you have to add your number to the tdcj phone registration...i still cant talk to my hubby cuz i cant get the landline so its gonna have to be striaght visits and letter for now...its nothing like the county.

oh great thought i was gonna love this visit guess i gotta find some baggy clothing...lol

IKR! I have a lottttaa skinny jeans and I guess I cannot wear them ...What facility is ur hubby in NicoleD? I told myself I guess I get to go shopping..lol

IKR! I have a lottttaa skinny jeans and I guess I cannot wear them ...What facility is ur hubby in NicoleD? I told myself I guess I get to go shopping..lol
    LMAO..nevermind NicoleD..had I read I wouldve known he was in Gurney

I really think it's up to the unit as to how strict they are about their dress code. I went to Allred Unit last weekend for a special visit and they simply don't care what you wear (of course as long as your dressed) I wore dress clothes one day and jeans the other, closed toe shoes,etc. However, I saw people in tank tops, capris and flip flops. I asked the guy checking in about that and he said, they're not strict like that at that unit they don't look at what you wear, he said wear what you want!!! I thought that all of the units would be the same but I guess not. All in all Allred is a pretty laid back place. Everyone was so nice! I did not see one person get turned away. Congrats on your visit and hope everything goes well for you. It is truly a blessing for both of you to see each other. Enjoy! God Bless!

i know i got lotts of jeans too...but they all tight..lol..gurney unit...and yours?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleD View Post
    i know i got lotts of jeans too...but they all tight..lol..gurney unit...and yours?

Mine is at Gurney 2! WHen can you go visit? I think I will be able to after 10/01/2011...that's if they approve my paper work. WHere are you located? I am in Spring...PM me and maybe we can get together and rideshare...have you been able to receive phone calls yet?
    Last edited by MrsMitchell; 08-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Yea the best thing to wear honestly would be sweat pants and a baggy shirt. they will turn you away at the door. gurney is really strict. But once you get in and your man has entered the room its wonderful. I hope you get in with no problems and enjoy your visit.
    AnnerNinner

I get my first visit on saturday with my son. I am very excited and very nervous about it. Does anyone know if it will be a contact visit or do they have to wait 90 days for contact visits?

Regarding the clothing. Make sure that you do not wear an underwire bra other wise they will take you in the bathroom and do a pat down to make sure that it is only the wire for the bra. Loose clothing is because those men have been in there for a period of time and it keeps them from getting excited about to tight/short clothing. It keeps the peace so to speak.

Wow yall make me scared to go visit my husband tomorrow for the first time being at Gurney....All my pants are kinda tight and I only wear bra's with underwire in them....so not looking forward to tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information