+ Reply to Thread

Default Visitation Questions

My hunny is located at tha joe f. gurney unit in anderson county..he has been there since january of this year. Im wanting to visit him this weeknd. What should i expect?? How long are the visits?? Will i be able to have contact with him or is it thru a glass?? How do i dress?? What do i take with me?? Etc. Etc. Any and all input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thanks..
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_turner View Post
    My hunny is located at tha joe f. gurney unit in anderson county..he has been there since january of this year. Im wanting to visit him this weeknd. What should i expect?? How long are the visits?? Will i be able to have contact with him or is it thru a glass?? How do i dress?? What do i take with me?? Etc. Etc. Any and all input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thanks..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yay for a visit! TDCJ has the same "universal" requirements for units. One 2 hour visit on the weekends. Contact visits are with immediate family members and spouses (Ceremonial, Marriage, or Common Law) all other visits are Non-Contact. Inside you can take your ID, car keys, and $20 in change in a clear plastic zip-lock bag for vending. Dress is pretty much nothing reveling, no shorts, skirts 4 inches below the knee, and there list continues. I provided the visitation handbook link which can explain the dress code and perhaps address any other questions you have. Dress code varies from unit to unit and Gurney by far is the strictest unit with dress code that I ever visited at.

Last but not least and certainly most important--they advise you call the unit he's at (Gurney) the Friday before you visit to make sure he's still there and not transferred out. The TDCJ online locator doesn't update on the weekend so it just helps to not drive all the way out there and he's not there. Have a fun visit!!!!!

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publicat...8-13-08%29.pdf

littlehoney

my husband is in gurney as well. if he has been there that long he should get contact visits wear very baggy pants and nothing low cut or sleeveless. i always take a pair of sweats just in case they don't like what i am wearing. you will get 2 hours, but if you live over 300 miles away you can call in advance and request a special visit, which would be 4 hours. take lots n lots of quarters to buy him snacks and drinks. other than your id don't take anything else. have a fabulous visit and if you have any other questions i'd be happy to help if i can!

How long does it take to wait in line to visit? What is the best time to get there?
    Is only so many people allowed in @ one time and then you wait for 2 hrs. for another group? how does it work?

Its not like county jail visitation , the wait is only long enough for them to pat you down,and wand you,verify your visitation and send for him to come to the visitation area. Ive never waited more than 30 minutes and I visited 4 units thus far.

How long does an inmate have to be at gurney to have contact visits and telephone calls? My husband just got transferred ther last week. Is it really 90 days?

Quote Originally Posted by missnhimbad View Post
    How long does an inmate have to be at gurney to have contact visits and telephone calls? My husband just got transferred ther last week. Is it really 90 days?
    It is 60 days for contact and they say 31 days for the phone, but as soon as they get his voice recorded and your phone registered he should be able to call...my hubby was there for about a month and then transferred out before I ever got to go visit...also...they say 31 days for the phone, but my hubby called after 3 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMitchell View Post
    It is 60 days for contact and they say 31 days for the phone, but as soon as they get his voice recorded and your phone registered he should be able to call...my hubby was there for about a month and then transferred out before I ever got to go visit...also...they say 31 days for the phone, but my hubby called after 3 weeks...
    Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. I was kind of hoping he would even be paroled out before he even got a chance to call, but it's not looking that way. Is regular visits the same or do they have those?

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better. I was kind of hoping he would even be paroled out before he even got a chance to call, but it's not looking that way. Is regular visits the same or do they have those?

What do you mean regular visits? I know as soon as they are processed they can receive non-contact, behind the glass visits. Then after the 60 days as long as you guys are married..(proxy, common law or ceremony)...you can have contact

How can I find out for sure if he can have the non-contact visits? I have 3 kids that miss him very much and his mother also. We are married. After the 60 days would my children and his mother be able to have the contact visits? What about his sister and his 2 nieces?

How can I find out for sure if he can have the non-contact visits? I have 3 kids that miss him very much and his mother also. We are married. After the 60 days would my children and his mother be able to have the contact visits? What about his sister and his 2 nieces?

I dont know about the 2 nieces..as long as his sisters, mom, you etc are on the list...your addresses has to match(what he gives them vs. your DL)..yes the kids would be able to go after 60 days...Call gurney and ask for inmate records...i spoke with Easter when my hubby was there and she was realllllly nice..she can tell you exactly what you want to know about the exact day...etc with the visits...They always told me to call after 1 to speak with inmate records

ok thank you so much for your help.

hello, i just want to ask if i have to call and register for a visitation we are new to this, and also my brother he just gat there at joe f. gurney unit. Please let me know!!! and kids are allowed and also how many people are allowed. thanks, have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by ale75241 View Post
    hello, i just want to ask if i have to call and register for a visitation we are new to this, and also my brother he just gat there at joe f. gurney unit. Please let me know!!! and kids are allowed and also how many people are allowed. thanks, have a great day!
    no as long as your on the visitation list. you do not have to call or register.but if you live over 300 miles away you can call and request a special visit .(4 hour visit instead of 2) i believe its only two people(that must be on visitation list) that are allowed at a time and kids are allowed i just don't know how many or to much info on the kids part... this is for tdcj
    Last edited by jessicag_1992; 10-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Heres my situation ladies, i am an ex-officer and my husband is currently @ connally, our relationship was prior to my employment i was employed in 09, we was together since 06, i mailed the drc our marriage license and our two kids birth certificate which my oldest daughter was born in 08. He was in state jail from 09 to 2010, and i was in the training academy in 09 and reported to my sergeant his where abouts and such, question is, does anybody know how long it takes for drc to review my case and give me an answer?? I spoke to this lady name sandy she says my situation sounds good to go but they would still have to investigate, i was fired due to me lying on my state application, i said i didnt know anyone within tdcj when he was already transitioning from county to state jail at the time and i got fired for it (level 1 offense) i am on his disapprove visitation list at this moment, but if anyone can let me know how long it usually takes for them to review those types of cases and how long it takes for them to reply i would really appreciate it!! By the way, him and i were at two totally different units all the way across town from each other...can someone give me sum advice please??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information