+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Projected release date ?

My husbands prd is 04/28/2012.....he is up for he 2nd parole eligibility review....is it possible to be released on parole before the pdr,or will he serve until april 2012?? Does anyone know how that works...thanks for any info

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by b&cshow View Post
    My husbands prd is 04/28/2012.....he is up for he 2nd parole eligibility review....is it possible to be released on parole before the pdr,or will he serve until april 2012?? Does anyone know how that works...thanks for any info

This is a tricky question because of what's going around in Texas Legislation right now. Several bills are in place but for right now the TDCJ Policies:

Yes, he can be released released earlier than his Projected Release Date--or Paroled.

TDCJ can release an Offender anytime before their Maximum Sentence Date or make someone serve their whole sentence. As of now the Parole Board must approve an Offender for being released on Parole and on their Mandatory Supervision Date. There is no 100% guarantee--as of now--that someone will get out on their Projected Release or earlier than their Maximum Sentence Date.

To TDCJ sees Parole and Mandatory Supervision (Projected Release) as the same thing. They don't see it as anything different other than the Offender is released earlier than their Maximum Sentence to the Community. Both must be granted by the Parole Board and it is at the Parole Board's Discretion.

I see people who are granted their Mandatory Supervision and some who get denied. I see people granted Parole before their Projected Release and some who get denied.

However, TX Legislation is currently passing a bill around that will grand all Offenders to be released on their Projected Release Date/Mandatory Supervision. Another bill in place to release TDCJ Offenders who have less than 1 year or 10 percent of their sentences remaining. So, we will see what happens because things can change between now and 2012.

Last edited by JP0619; 04-15-2011 at 01:12 AM.
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Veteran Member

Are you talking about HB 2352, relating to the elegibility of certain inmates for release on mandatory supervision? I had read on Grits that the bill includes the release of 9,400 inmates. I don't know where I read it or head it from but it's for non violent offenses. I will see if I can find the information and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post

This is a tricky question because of what's going around in Texas Legislation right now. Several bills are in place but for right now the TDCJ Policies:

Yes, he can be released released earlier than his Projected Release Date--or Paroled.

TDCJ can release an Offender anytime before their Maximum Sentence Date or make someone serve their whole sentence. As of now the Parole Board must approve an Offender for being released on Parole and on their Mandatory Supervision Date. There is no 100% guarantee--as of now--that someone will get out on their Projected Release or earlier than their Maximum Sentence Date.

To TDCJ sees Parole and Mandatory Supervision (Projected Release) as the same thing. They don't see it as anything different other than the Offender is released earlier than their Maximum Sentence to the Community. Both must be granted by the Parole Board and it is at the Parole Board's Discretion.

I see people who are granted their Mandatory Supervision and some who get denied. I see people granted Parole before their Projected Release and some who get denied.

However, TX Legislation is currently passing a bill around that will grand all Offenders to be released on their Projected Release Date/Mandatory Supervision. Another bill in place to release TDCJ Offenders who have less than 1 year or 10 percent of their sentences remaining. So, we will see what happens because things can change between now and 2012.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by texascowgirl1962 View Post
    Are you talking about HB 2352, relating to the elegibility of certain inmates for release on mandatory supervision? I had read on Grits that the bill includes the release of 9,400 inmates. I don't know where I read it or head it from but it's for non violent offenses. I will see if I can find the information and post it.

Yes, that is the bill I am talking about. Yes it's for people who are actually eligible for Mandatory Supervision. Since some Offenses are not eligible for Mandatory Supervision--the bill excludes those because they're Projected Release Date is automatically set to their Max Date. These Offenders are tend to be deemed 3G and Violent Offenses. Their chance to be released earlier than their Max Date is through the Parole Board granting Parole.

Here's the Bill:
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...pdf#navpanes=0

Tracking of the Bill:
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...2R&Bill=HB2352
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Veteran Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. So if one is not a 3G/violent offense then this HB 2352 would pertain to them correct? If one is a 3G/violent offender they are not eligible for mandatory supervision correct? Gosh this is so dang confusing sometimes. Just when I think that I fully understand it I am thrown for a loop and a curve. Sorry for the questions.

Yes, that is the bill I am talking about. Yes it's for people who are actually eligible for Mandatory Supervision. Since some Offenses are not eligible for Mandatory Supervision--the bill excludes those because they're Projected Release Date is automatically set to their Max Date. These Offenders are tend to be deemed 3G and Violent Offenses. Their chance to be released earlier than their Max Date is through the Parole Board granting Parole.

Here's the Bill:

Tracking of the Bill:
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...2R&Bill=HB2352

Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. So if one is not a 3G/violent offense then this HB 2352 would pertain to them correct? If one is a 3G/violent offender they are not eligible for mandatory supervision correct? Gosh this is so dang confusing sometimes. Just when I think that I fully understand it I am thrown for a loop and a curve. Sorry for the questions.

Sorry to confuse you. 3G and Violent Offenses are ineligible for Mandatory Supervision at all--if the bill passes and before the bill. All other Offenses are eligible for Mandatory Supervision regardless if the bill passes or not.

Currently those who have a Mandatory Supervision Date has to have the Parole Board Approve to be Release. The only difference with the Bill, if it passes, is that the Parole Board will no longer have to Vote for an Offender to be released on their Mandatory Supervision Date but release them automatically.

In 1996, the State Passed a Law that stated that there will no longer be automatic releases for Offenders on their Mandatory Supervision Date and the Parole Board has to Vote for an Offender to Be released for Mandatory Supervision. This Bill will counteract that and make it go back to an Offender being Automatically Released on their Mandatory Supervision Date/Projected Release Date.

Instead, the Parole Board will vote to see if they will be released on Parole prior to their Mandatory Supervision Date or before their Mandatory Supervision Date.

Of course none of this Applies to 3G and Violent Offenses because their Mandatory Supervision Date/Projected Release Date is matched to their Max Date.

Currently, he has to be voted on to be released on his Projected Release Date and if he will be release prior to his eligibility Date. So, right now the Parole Board will vote to see if they wan to Release him on Parole before his Projected Release. If not they will give him a set-off for a year (or a serve all depending how they vote on him) and will vote once again to see if he will be released to Mandatory Supervision.

So for your husband since his Projected Release Date is in 2012--if the bill this current year then he will automatically be Released on his projected release date if he's of course not a violent and/or 3G Offender. The Parole Board will not have to vote for him to be released--basically you can expect him home in 2012 on his Projected Release Date if the bill goes through.

Yes, it's a bit confusing when Legislation is in the works with things but I hope I explained it a bit better. If not I can try again.

Veteran Member

Default OK

I think my husbands projected release date is 6-2013 for non violent offense. So this bill would apply to him correct even though his projected release date isn't until 2013? Yes, it can be a little confusing but I appreciate all the help you have given thus far.

Sorry to confuse you. 3G and Violent Offenses are ineligible for Mandatory Supervision at all--if the bill passes and before the bill. All other Offenses are eligible for Mandatory Supervision regardless if the bill passes or not.

Currently those who have a Mandatory Supervision Date has to have the Parole Board Approve to be Release. The only difference with the Bill, if it passes, is that the Parole Board will no longer have to Vote for an Offender to be released on their Mandatory Supervision Date but release them automatically.

In 1996, the State Passed a Law that stated that there will no longer be automatic releases for Offenders on their Mandatory Supervision Date and the Parole Board has to Vote for an Offender to Be released for Mandatory Supervision. This Bill will counteract that and make it go back to an Offender being Automatically Released on their Mandatory Supervision Date/Projected Release Date.

Instead, the Parole Board will vote to see if they will be released on Parole prior to their Mandatory Supervision Date or before their Mandatory Supervision Date.

Of course none of this Applies to 3G and Violent Offenses because their Mandatory Supervision Date/Projected Release Date is matched to their Max Date.

Currently, he has to be voted on to be released on his Projected Release Date and if he will be release prior to his eligibility Date. So, right now the Parole Board will vote to see if they wan to Release him on Parole before his Projected Release. If not they will give him a set-off for a year (or a serve all depending how they vote on him) and will vote once again to see if he will be released to Mandatory Supervision.

So for your husband since his Projected Release Date is in 2012--if the bill this current year then he will automatically be Released on his projected release date if he's of course not a violent and/or 3G Offender. The Parole Board will not have to vote for him to be released--basically you can expect him home in 2012 on his Projected Release Date if the bill goes through.

Yes, it's a bit confusing when Legislation is in the works with things but I hope I explained it a bit better. If not I can try again.

Default Parole Question!

My husband has had an interview on Dec 29, 2010 and I have been calling the parole status line and keep getting the same response : His file is in review, no decision. I dont know what that means. Is this the only number I should be calling? How long does it take to get an answer? Is there any other number I should be calling? My husband is down his 2nd time with PCS Meth sentenced to 6 yrs. Please Help!

TexasCowGirl Your correct, if this bill passes your hub would be out on his PRD because the parole board would no longer have the jurisdiction to vote on it, but only for TDCJ to release him. The bill hasn't passed in the house or the senate yet tho its only been filed so we have yet to see the outcome. Best wishes to you!
    Last edited by mrs.determined; 04-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Veteran Member

Default Thanks

One more question mrs. determined if you don't mine, is there the possibility that if this bill passes he could be home before 2013? I have been following it on the Tex. Legislature web site daily. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.determined View Post
    TexasCowGirl Your correct, if this bill passes your hub would be out on his PRD because the parole board would no longer have the jurisdiction to vote on it, but only for TDCJ to release him. The bill hasn't passed in the house or the senate yet tho its only been filed so we have yet to see the outcome. Best wishes to you!

In general terms,no- the only way he would come home before that is if he has a PED and he is reviewed for parole and makes it before 6/2013; technically. The reason for this is because in June of 2013 his good time and flat time will have reached the eligibilty for his PRD(shortway date). The good thing about the bill is in 2013 you wouldnt have to worry about the board being able to say he is denied, If HB 2352 is passed it would be a given for him to be released. Hope that makes sense to you.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by jenbabe254 View Post
    My husband has had an interview on Dec 29, 2010 and I have been calling the parole status line and keep getting the same response : His file is in review, no decision. I dont know what that means. Is this the only number I should be calling? How long does it take to get an answer? Is there any other number I should be calling? My husband is down his 2nd time with PCS Meth sentenced to 6 yrs. Please Help!

If he had an interview then he would normally be voted on by the Parole Board in 4-6 weeks. However, there is a rumor (unsure if it's accuracy) that they may be a bit behind with all the budget cuts going on. All I can say is if you want more detailed information your best bet is to call the Parole Board that he falls under.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_...locations.html

There's the list of Parole Boards and their number. They can probably give you some more detailed information. The Parole Status line just answers if there's an answer and if they're in review--very basic information.

Good luck!

Veteran Member

I think my husbands projected release date is 6-2013 for non violent offense. So this bill would apply to him correct even though his projected release date isn't until 2013? Yes, it can be a little confusing but I appreciate all the help you have given thus far.

Yes this will apply to your husband and to all Mandatory Supervision dates from Sept 2011 onward, if this bill passes.The the way the bill is written includes people after the date and those inside regardless if they're before/after this bill passes.

" Section 2. The change in law made by this Act applies to any inmate serving a term of imprisonment in a facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice on or after the effective date of this Act, regardless of when the inmate was sentenced to serve that term.

SECTIONA3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2011."

These bills are tricky because some bills apply from the date they're pass onward and excludes anyone before it was passed--as one bill does. Others, like these, includes all Offenders regardless of when they're in prison.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-15-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Veteran Member

One more question mrs. determined if you don't mine, is there the possibility that if this bill passes he could be home before 2013? I have been following it on the Tex. Legislature web site daily. Thanks!!!

Hypothetically, if the bill passed then you can guaranteed that he will be released Mandatory Supervision Date but there's always the possibility that the Parole Board can vote Favorably and release him prior to that. Unless sentence to Death Row and Life in prison--all Offenders are given Parole Eligibility Date which is based on the type of Offense and the Legislation it falls under. The Parole Eligibility Date is the way to release them prior to the short-way/Mandatory Supervision Date. This will always be dependent on the Parole Board.

I say this because I know those who were released on Parole prior to their Projected Release Date and some who were denied. Never know what the Parole Board will do--they have their own way of figuring out things. Some offenses don't qualify for Mandatory Supervision because of their Offense (they don't receive "good time" calculated into their Offense) and the only way that they can be released prior to their Max Date is by being granted Parole. So, yes there's always the opportunity.

Veteran Member

In general terms,no- the only way he would come home before that is if he has a PED and he is reviewed for parole and makes it before 6/2013; technically. The reason for this is because in June of 2013 his good time and flat time will have reached the eligibilty for his PRD(shortway date). The good thing about the bill is in 2013 you wouldnt have to worry about the board being able to say he is denied, If HB 2352 is passed it would be a given for him to be released. Hope that makes sense to you.
    Just to let you know there is always the possibility that they can come home prior to their Mandatory Supervision/Projected Release Date. That is up to the Parole Board. Some Offense does not qualify for Mandatory Supervision and their Projected Release Date is set to their Maximum Sentence Date because they're ineligible to accrue "good-time."

There are people who are released prior to their Projected Release Date and some who do not--depends on a lot of circumstances. I believe you said that somewhat in your post but you bank on the "good-time" calculations which not all Offenses qualify for and yet they're able to make Parole.

i have a question my boyfriends short way date is oct 1 2011 and the bill has not passed yet and if the board see's him before it does and denies him... but say the bill passes september 1st could he still be let out on oct 1 for his short way?????

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgurl View Post
    i have a question my boyfriends short way date is oct 1 2011 and the bill has not passed yet and if the board see's him before it does and denies him... but say the bill passes september 1st could he still be let out on oct 1 for his short way?????
    No one can really say for sure how the bill will work if voted, signed, and enacted. Hypothetically, if the Bill is passed and (after it goes through all the stages in TX Legislation) and it enacted and takes effect Sept 1, 2011--then there is a likelihood of being released to Mandatory Supervision. I believe TDCJ Parole Board will figure all the kinks out when it's closer to his Mandatory Supervision Date and will have a better ideal of things. Good luck.

jp0619 im confused...you are coming behind my replies saying the same thing that i have said??? he can come home on parole or PRD...exact thing i said...I didnt say PRD is the only way to come home. If u cant come home on your PRD u have your PED...Am i missing something here? Many situations are different thats y i use technically and in general terms. I have seen people get Denied parole and 2 months later parole changed their minds and release them thats why there are general terms and technical terms, nothing specific at all. The dealings that I have had with parole show that nothing is set in stone, and im answering based on my working knowledge with TDCJ and the parole board.

tx cowgirl, just for assurance since i answered your question more specifically cause u have a date, im assuming he is eligible for his PRD since u did have a date? correct. so he is able to accrue his good time etc???

Veteran Member

Oh yes, he accures good time, he is a trusty and works. He has no 3g charge, in there for DWI.

tx cowgirl, just for assurance since i answered your question more specifically cause u have a date, im assuming he is eligible for his PRD since u did have a date? correct. so he is able to accrue his good time etc???

Veteran Member

@ mrs determined I'm addressing the replies to the best of my ability. If I'm repeating what you say in a different form or fashion then people are receiving two answers of the same thing. They can pick and chose who they want to listen to or take advice from and move on. I'm not trying to downgrade your advice or anything or act rude. If you feel that I am doing that then I apologize.
    I just want to clarify not all offenses quality for otherwise known as Mandatory Supervision (Projected Release Date) which includes 3G and Violent Offenses. Therefore, Offenses that are ineligible for Mandatory Supervision do not accrued good time. One of your post confused me as to saying that all Offenses quality for good time toward their Sentence.

As for Parole Eligibility that is specific to the time the offense committed and the Offense itself. Most people, from what I experience, tend to use the Projected Release Date (if the offense accrues good time) as an accurate estimator of when they're loved one is to come home.

The Parole Eligibility is simply when they're eligible for Parole prior to their Mandatory Supervision Date.

I find the Parole Process very interesting.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.

ok thats cool! this is the first time i have ever heard of this bill so when i saw it i freaked out! i was so excited! i knew that 1996 they took it away from inmates and that it was no longer a right but i privilege like parole! oh geez im hoping this bill passes!!! he has been gone for 2 years on a 5 year sentence and i want him home so bad! i wanna know more about this bill! im going to call his parole lawyer tomorrow and tell him about his im sure he knows about it but im not sure why he hasnt said anything!

ryansgurl for more info on the bill go to http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/ and put in hb 2352...it will tell u what the author intends to happen if the bill is passed, keep in mind though if actually passed some things might change or they may stay the same in regards to the bill. It still has not made it to the floor as of yet. Best wished to u!

thanks I'll try that...just tired of waiting... ugh but patience is a virtue...well thats what Ive heard..

Veteran Member

I have a question that maybe some of ya'll can answer. Why is it that there are two bills that from my understand are about the same in comparison. Such as HB 2352 and SB 1683. I know that one is a House Bill and the other is a Senate Bill, but why is there two and what does that mean? I understand some of the Legislature but not all of it so if someone could please explain to me why there are two of the same I would appreciate it.

I have a question that maybe some of ya'll can answer. Why is it that there are two bills that from my understand are about the same in comparison. Such as HB 2352 and SB 1683. I know that one is a House Bill and the other is a Senate Bill, but why is there two and what does that mean? I understand some of the Legislature but not all of it so if someone could please explain to me why there are two of the same I would appreciate it.
    texascowgirl, for the most part it is called a companion bill. It basically just means that you have 2 lawmakers on each side that have the same idea. When this happens on both ends it promotes better because the issue will come up in the house and in the senate.

Veteran Member

Default Thanks!!!

Oh ok. I see what you are saying. I do appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

texascowgirl, for the most part it is called a companion bill. It basically just means that you have 2 lawmakers on each side that have the same idea. When this happens on both ends it promotes better because the issue will come up in the house and in the senate.

Veteran Member

Very interesting and thanks for the explanation!

Veteran Member

Default Curious!!!

I never understood why there are two bills of the same, just one is in the Senate and one is in the House. I have been curious about this for a long time so I decided it was about time that I asked the question. Maybe it's a good thing there are two bills up on some of these, if one fails then maybe one will pass.

Very interesting and thanks for the explanation!

Veteran Member

I never understood why there are two bills of the same, just one is in the Senate and one is in the House. I have been curious about this for a long time so I decided it was about time that I asked the question. Maybe it's a good thing there are two bills up on some of these, if one fails then maybe one will pass.
    I learned about it in my Legislation Class a year ago and can't really remember. What good does that do? Haha. I think as long as one of the bills makes it then it's all good!

...okay I have a question my husband is in HUtchins State Jail and serving 18 months and he is down to 5 months cause he gets out in Oct...Since he is a J1 and does not have any new cases and has done everything right is there a way that he can get out earlier?? He does not have anything on him except the smallest felony and it is not domestic, violent, drug related or etc...It was a small felony!! So does this mean that he can get out early??

CRAZY and MALDY IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND CHRIS

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmyhusband View Post
    ...okay I have a question my husband is in HUtchins State Jail and serving 18 months and he is down to 5 months cause he gets out in Oct...Since he is a J1 and does not have any new cases and has done everything right is there a way that he can get out earlier?? He does not have anything on him except the smallest felony and it is not domestic, violent, drug related or etc...It was a small felony!! So does this mean that he can get out early??

CRAZY and MALDY IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND CHRIS

State Jail Offenders tend to vary slightly different with things as to TDCJ Offenders. I know State Jail Offenders serve out their whole sentence day-by-day (flat time) and do not accrue "Good-time" which would count toward Mandatory Supervision and Parole. The only mechanisms in place to release a TDCJ Offender earlier than their max date is through Parole/Mandatory Supervision which isn't an option for State Jail Offenders. There are some other various rules/policies that different between one being State Jail and one being Offender but it seems irrelevant to your question.

As far as I know, there is no Legislation in place for State Jail Offenders other than to raise the limit on the Theft Categories. There was talk about instating Parole/Mandatory Supervision for State Jail Offenders--but nothing in Legislation about it yet. Unless someone can correct me on that.

Therefore, I am don't think there's anything about how one can get released early from State Jail. There seems to be tons of rumors that have been on this forum about it and even some people swear it's happening based on their experience or other people's experiences.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-19-2011 at 09:27 PM.

State Jail Offenders tend to vary slightly different with things as to TDCJ Offenders. I know State Jail Offenders serve out their whole sentence day-by-day and do not accrue "Good-time" which would count toward Mandatory Supervision and Parole. The only mechanisms in place to release a TDCJ Offender earlier than their max date is through Parole/Mandatory Supervision which isn't an option for State Jail Offenders. There are some other various rules/policies that different between one being State Jail and one being Offender but it seems irrelevant to your question.

As far as I know, there is no Legislation in place for State Jail Offenders other than to raise the limit on the Theft Categories. There was talk about instating Parole/Mandatory Supervision for State Jail Offenders--but nothing in Legislation about it yet. Unless someone can correct me on that.

Therefore, I am don't think there's anything about how one can get released early from State Jail. There seems to be tons of rumors that have been on this forum about it and even some people swear it's happening based on their experience or other people's experiences.
    I am just confused about the whole ordeal...I want him home just like everyone else...even though I do have a serious medical condition and we have 2 kids and they know that I was in in ICU for 2 days...I just don't understand some of this..

CRAZY and MADLY IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND CHRIS

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovingmyhusband View Post
    I am just confused about the whole ordeal...I want him home just like everyone else...even though I do have a serious medical condition and we have 2 kids and they know that I was in in ICU for 2 days...I just don't understand some of this..

CRAZY and MADLY IN LOVE WITH MY HUSBAND CHRIS

I understand completely. You have a family, plus the surgery, and TDCJ to deal with. TDCJ doesn't seem to have that mindset that they'll release an Offender early simply becuase their loved one is in the hospital or their family needs them. That's the sucky part of prison.

State Jail Offenders are simply the ones left out--not eligible for parole. That's the only way a TDCJ Offender can be released earlier than their max date is through Parole. On the bright side at least you know the exact date of when he's coming home and it's not too far off--just a few more months longer. Also, there's no wondering and stress with the Parole process.

The only thing I can think of is a Emergency Absence which has strict criteria. "An Emergency Absence is an approved leave of absence from prison for a day under escort of TDCJ staff. They are granted for emergency reasons only."

Emergency absences are granted to:
    a. attend funerals, or visit a funeral home to view a deceased immediate family member
    b. visit critically ill immediate family members. “Immediate family” is defined as an offender's parents, spouse, children and siblings.

Offenders cannot request an emergency absence. Only doctors or Funeral Home Directors on behalf of the offender’s family can make requests for emergency absences. These absences are granted for no longer than one (1) day.

More information:
    http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publicat...ntHbkNov04.pdf

That's the only thing I can think of but it's only for one day and not an early release. That's the hard part about being State Jail is knowing you have to be in there for the whole time and can't come home early unless something magically happens.

As for the overcrowding, I'd think if it really comes down to it they'll transfer TDCJ Inmates out and place them in other units and free the beds for State Jail Offenders. Good luck!

I learned about it in my Legislation Class a year ago and can't really remember. What good does that do? Haha. I think as long as one of the bills makes it then it's all good!
    Think of it like this: Since this is a companion bill, it was filed in the house and the senate. Since its originated in both it has to start through both, which is rare of course cause usually its originated in one place passes and then goes to the next for approval or denial. So for example: Senate votes and House votes...Results: it doesnt pass through the house but it goes through the senate...now SB1683 has to pass through the house it has another chance, and just because it didnt pass through the house the first time doesnt mean it wont the 2nd time around...Many things can happen by the time it comes around and those that voted no at first can say yes, if they get the correct amount of votes it can pass the 2nd time around by persuasion and so many other ways... etc...

Veteran Member

Think of it like this: Since this is a companion bill, it was filed in the house and the senate. Since its originated in both it has to start through both, which is rare of course cause usually its originated in one place passes and then goes to the next for approval or denial. So for example: Senate votes and House votes...Results: it doesnt pass through the house but it goes through the senate...now SB1683 has to pass through the house it has another chance, and just because it didnt pass through the house the first time doesnt mean it wont the 2nd time around...Many things can happen by the time it comes around and those that voted no at first can say yes, if they get the correct amount of votes it can pass the 2nd time around by persuasion and so many other ways... etc...
    That sounds about right. Thanks for the reminder!

Can someone please help me out on this confusing matter?? I called the automated info line last week and it said my BF had an INTIAL PAROLE REVIEW DATE of APRIL 20,2011 and a PROJECTED RELEASE DATE of OCT 25,2012. Well today I called and the INTIAL date was the same but the PROJECTED RELEASE DATE was MARCH 31, 2011. I wanna know WHEN IS HE COMING HOME???? All this is making my head and heart hurt more than EVER!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

My husband signed for 5 yrs for DWi and he had been in county for a year before he went to Abilene and now in Wheeler unit. When he got his time sheet he had a yr plus 6 months for good time and 6 for not sure what is was I think work. Well his PED was 10/2010 and his PRD is 7/2012. So he has been in TDCJ system for only 2 months. I called the Amarillo parole and they say they do not have a parole date yet and no deadline for me to send in his parole packet and no IPO yet either. I am wrapping up things on the parole packet to send it in and I wanted to know if it was too early for me to write the Amarillo board to see if I am able to get a interview. They did tell me that he has been in review since Feb and should have an answer in August the 1 800 did. Does anyone have any idea about how long before he has interview. Iknow he has to have the IPO before his papers go to the board I think is correct. So I guess this is another time where we just have to be patient and wait.
    YOUR STILL THE ONE

(me personally), i wouldnt send off my parole packet to the parole board until he has been seen by the IPO.

ok im tryna make sure i understand this ok so this new bill will allow non violent offenders come home without parole voting if they get good time right? ok and the violent offenders will have 2 be voted on and really their prd date still dont mean nothing cause if parole denies their release then they will have 2 serve their entire sentence right?
    Mrs.O'Neal

angiek1982 u have the first part correct it will allow non violent offender to come home, but its without parole voting basically on their PRD, it would be a given if the inmate is elgible and parole cant deny it if they follow under the circumstances that are placed in the bill once and if it is passed...but basically for violent offenders they would remain under the same laws that are in place now. I wouldnt say they have to serve their entire sentences though, because if they are elgibile for parole(their PED) then they still have that opportunity this bill just applies to your Projected Release Date....Switching Lanes, but hopefully I helped you

With that said the bill has made it out of committee and to the floor as of yesterday...I have an associate that assist with the bills and works on the corrections bills specifically and i learned that this bill will more than likely have stipulations on it...The ones in place for this current bill that we are speaking of is that for the inmate to be elgible this must be his 1st or 2nd time in TDCJ and he must not have a major disciplinary within a year of his PRD. This is not posted as of yet from what I can see but it would be referenced as substitute information...just meaning that the committee said if you substitute these suggestions it will pass though committee...just an fyi for anyone that may be following the bill. Hope I didnt confuse anybody and hope this helps.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by franceso View Post
    My husband signed for 5 yrs for DWi and he had been in county for a year before he went to Abilene and now in Wheeler unit. When he got his time sheet he had a yr plus 6 months for good time and 6 for not sure what is was I think work. Well his PED was 10/2010 and his PRD is 7/2012. So he has been in TDCJ system for only 2 months. I called the Amarillo parole and they say they do not have a parole date yet and no deadline for me to send in his parole packet and no IPO yet either. I am wrapping up things on the parole packet to send it in and I wanted to know if it was too early for me to write the Amarillo board to see if I am able to get a interview. They did tell me that he has been in review since Feb and should have an answer in August the 1 800 did. Does anyone have any idea about how long before he has interview. Iknow he has to have the IPO before his papers go to the board I think is correct. So I guess this is another time where we just have to be patient and wait.

There really is no way to tell when they will receive an IPO Interview. If you want you can call and speak to the IPO Office that falls under his unit and they might be able to tell you something. I remember once I called his IPO and they reviewed it in the system while I was on the phone and told me that they put in a request for his file. Oddly, that started things in a very interesting way--still no interview because of my husband's situation.

They say the whole Parole process takes 6 to 8 months. So he's two months in the process and 2 months at TDCJ it might be a little easier to wait to make sure he won't transfer anymore--depending where he is.

As for sending a Parole packet. It depends on when you feel comfortable sending it. You can get the materials together and send it to the Board he falls under or to Austin (they usually send you a confirmation letter within a few weeks). Personally, I'll send everything to the Board especially if you're sending in a Phone Request. I don't know how soon you want to send it and how long you want to wait. I feel if I wait until his IPO Interview it's too late because I hear of those who get an IPO Interview one day and later that week they're already voted on; some get an IPO and it's weeks and months before they receive an answer.

Since my husband and I are the only ones at it--I'm his whole Support System--I simply sent in several letters to Austin, one to his Board, and I sent my husband a copy. I made sure all were Delivery Confirmation and some Certified Mail. I did this as soon as his file went into review and somewhat before (because of his situation). I do know that the Board received everything as they put the phone request in the system (however they do that.) Right now we're waiting for TDCJ to finish up all the who ha of paperwork and transfer him to an ID Unit. I presume once there he'll receive an interview.

Good luck!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug.m View Post
    Can someone please help me out on this confusing matter?? I called the automated info line last week and it said my BF had an INTIAL PAROLE REVIEW DATE of APRIL 20,2011 and a PROJECTED RELEASE DATE of OCT 25,2012. Well today I called and the INTIAL date was the same but the PROJECTED RELEASE DATE was MARCH 31, 2011. I wanna know WHEN IS HE COMING HOME???? All this is making my head and heart hurt more than EVER!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    As of now, until the bill passes, the Projected Release (Mandatory Supervision) has to be approved of by Parole. There really is no ideal of telling when they will come home. The only way to really have it on the dot of when they're coming home is if the bill passes. Otherwise everything goes through the Parole Board for an approval or denial or set-off. His status moved up to March 31, 2011 means that the Parole Board will have to approve of him coming home for that date or close to that date.

To answer your question--the Automated Service Line annoys me. I refuse to use it anymore because it gives inaccurate information from time to time. When I call the Automated line it told me my husband's location is unavailable. When I go on the TDCJ Offender Search is gives the information. I say try the TDCJ Offender Search to verify the information provided to by the Automated Line.

If the information is the same then his Projected Release Date/Mandatory Supervision Date can always changed if he moves up in a Line Class or Status. If he goes from a higher level level G_ to a lower level G_ or Trustee status then he is eligible to earn more "Good Time" which goes toward Projected Release/Mandatory Supervision. This can be the same the opposite way--if someone goes from a lower status level or Line Class to a Higher One then they will lose their "Good time" and their Projected Release Date/Mandatory Supervision Date goes further out. The same is for if he "catches a case" while in prison.

Other things may effect this including recalculation his sentence or finishing processing his paperwork. The only TDCJ Department that can give you information about what happened is Classifications Department. You might want to try contacting them.The only TDCJ Department responsible for time calculations and so forth is the Classifications Department (You can call his Unit and speak to the Classifications Department or call the main Huntsville line at (936) 437-6231). My advice is to not to call the Austin Status Line because they simply give automated answers (I saw the handbook on TDCJ Website on how they're to answer questions). I only call them to see if there's an answer and they can't give you details as to what's going on only the Parole Board can do that. So, next would be to call the Parole Board he falls under.

I will say that if he moved up from 2012 to 2011 then he is doing something right which makes his chances of coming home sooner. :-) Good luck!
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Ladybug In your situation I would definitely call the board that he is assigned to, or the austin status line for clarification. Being that his projected release date has moved to 3/31/2011 I would definitely see what is going on. The PED is different from the PRD which Im sure you might know. With the PED if you have a date there is a different time frame in regards to your PRD having a date. Most people that have a PRD know if their loved one will be denied or approved to come home within 30 to 60 days of that date. Again if you get clarification that his PRD is 3/31/11 please call and get the status since it has passed. My brother in laws PRD date was 4/19 and he came home today. Please let us know the results or the feedback you get. Best wishes to you.

Veteran Member

Default Questions!!!!

I have a couple of questions maybe you or someone else can maybe answer for me. For an inmate to be eligible for this bill, which I am assuming is HB 2352, an inmate has to have been to TDCJ 1 or 2 times previsouly. What if they have been in there more than 2 times, do you know if they still qualify, or I guess what I am asking would they still qualify if they had been in TDCJ more than twice? Also, past convictions for which one was sent to TDCJ and did time, is this a contributing factor as to if they qualify for this HB? Again, I guess what I am asking you is this, what one did time on in the past can it or is it going to be part of the stipulation as to if they qualify for this bill?

angiek1982 u have the first part correct it will allow non violent offender to come home, but its without parole voting basically on their PRD, it would be a given if the inmate is elgible and parole cant deny it if they follow under the circumstances that are placed in the bill once and if it is passed...but basically for violent offenders they would remain under the same laws that are in place now. I wouldnt say they have to serve their entire sentences though, because if they are elgibile for parole(their PED) then they still have that opportunity this bill just applies to your Projected Release Date....Switching Lanes, but hopefully I helped you

With that said the bill has made it out of committee and to the floor as of yesterday...I have an associate that assist with the bills and works on the corrections bills specifically and i learned that this bill will more than likely have stipulations on it...The ones in place for this current bill that we are speaking of is that for the inmate to be elgible this must be his 1st or 2nd time in TDCJ and he must not have a major disciplinary within a year of his PRD. This is not posted as of yet from what I can see but it would be referenced as substitute information...just meaning that the committee said if you substitute these suggestions it will pass though committee...just an fyi for anyone that may be following the bill. Hope I didnt confuse anybody and hope this helps.

Veteran Member

Ladybug In your situation I would definitely call the board that he is assigned to, or the austin status line for clarification. Being that his projected release date has moved to 3/31/2011 I would definitely see what is going on. The PED is different from the PRD which Im sure you might know. With the PED if you have a date there is a different time frame in regards to your PRD having a date. Most people that have a PRD know if their loved one will be denied or approved to come home within 30 to 60 days of that date. Again if you get clarification that his PRD is 3/31/11 please call and get the status since it has passed. My brother in laws PRD date was 4/19 and he came home today. Please let us know the results or the feedback you get. Best wishes to you.
    Sometimes I wonder if you're competitive as to who knows the most and who can give the better advice. Sometimes I get that vibe on this forum with your post and how you respond.

I try to be tolerate and nice about it but now it's just getting to me. I stopped competing or giving advice about the bill despite how close I pay attention and how much I'm involved with Politics since it's apparent that you want to be "all knowing" in that department. I feel if someone addresses me or questions me you go and answer and don't allow time for me to address someone directly--which is a large part of why my post are similar to yours.

I'm not trying to be rude or whatnot but I feel like at this point I want to address things like you addressed them to me. For example, you brought it up that I was giving the same advice as you and I backed away to make sure I don't do that but now you seem to be dishing out the same dose of medicine so to say.

Just trying to find some common ground in a good ol' mature fashion.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-21-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Veteran Member

I have a couple of questions maybe you or someone else can maybe answer for me. For an inmate to be eligible for this bill, which I am assuming is HB 2352, an inmate has to have been to TDCJ 1 or 2 times previsouly. What if they have been in there more than 2 times, do you know if they still qualify, or I guess what I am asking would they still qualify if they had been in TDCJ more than twice? Also, past convictions for which one was sent to TDCJ and did time, is this a contributing factor as to if they qualify for this HB? Again, I guess what I am asking you is this, what one did time on in the past can it or is it going to be part of the stipulation as to if they qualify for this bill?
    Where did you get that information? HB2352--There is no mentioning in the bill about an Inmate being at TDCJ a number of times before they qualify. It simply states that they'll release someone to Mandatory Supervision unless they're a threat to the public and fall under certain Penal codes. Can you expand a bit more on where you received this information--I'm quite interested.

Veteran Member

I was reading the post that ms. determined posted. I was assuming it was HB 2352. I am sorry to cause confusion.

QUOTE=JP0619;173924]Where did you get that information? HB2352--There is no mentioning in the bill about an Inmate being at TDCJ a number of times before they qualify. It simply states that they'll release someone to Mandatory Supervision unless they're a threat to the public and fall under certain Penal codes. Can you expand a bit more on where you received this information--I'm quite interested.[/QUOTE]

Veteran Member

I was reading the post that ms. determined posted. I was assuming it was HB 2352. I am sorry to cause confusion.

QUOTE=JP0619;173924]Where did you get that information? HB2352--There is no mentioning in the bill about an Inmate being at TDCJ a number of times before they qualify. It simply states that they'll release someone to Mandatory Supervision unless they're a threat to the public and fall under certain Penal codes. Can you expand a bit more on where you received this information--I'm quite interested.
    [/QUOTE]

No worries. All this can be confusing at one point or another. As far as the bill reads it does not stipulate how many times a person needs to be at TDCJ to be eligible. It simply says that they'll release to mandatory supervision if feel the inmate ’s release would endanger the public and the inmate's offense and has not been previously convicted of who is serving a sentence for or has been previously convicted of an offense under Section 19.04, 20A.02, 21.12, 22.041, 22.05, 22.07, or 22.09, Penal Code.

That's the bill itself as it reads.

Does not mean it will change or come out with more detail. I will rather wait for the details of the bill once it becomes law to have any real thoughts on it. It's too early to really tell anything. I rather go by what the bill it says as to hearsay from someone despite if they're involved in the process or not. I don't do hearsay personally but acutal laws that are enacted and written.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Veteran Member

Default Question!!!

On that HB 2352 it lists certain penal codes. Those penal codes listed are they the ones that may not be released to mandatory supervision if a parole paned determines that the inmates release would endanger the public. Such as if I am reading the bill correct: 19.04 is manslaughter, 20A.02 is trafficking of opersons, 21.21 is improper relations between student and educator, 22.041 is injury to a child, elderly individual or disabled person, 22.05 is deadly conduct, 22.07 is terroristic threat, and 22.09 is tampering with consumer products. Are these correct? Are these the penal codes that are pretty much disqualified from the bill if it passes?

QUOTE=JP0619;173924]Where did you get that information? HB2352--There is no mentioning in the bill about an Inmate being at TDCJ a number of times before they qualify. It simply states that they'll release someone to Mandatory Supervision unless they're a threat to the public and fall under certain Penal codes. Can you expand a bit more on where you received this information--I'm quite interested.
    [/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information