+ Reply to Thread

Default Byrd Unit (Huntsville)

Anyone have any info about the Byrd Unit in Huntsville?

Is this for a permanent stay or a transfer facility?

How long before they can call, write or have visits?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting_For_Dad View Post
    Anyone have any info about the Byrd Unit in Huntsville?

Is this for a permanent stay or a transfer facility?

How long before they can call, write or have visits?
    The only information I can provide is from what I received from Byrd Classifications/Records. Byrd Unit is a processing facility and they can be there for 2-4 weeks. Since they are temporarily there they're not allowed to make calls or receive visits. Once the processing/reprocessing is complete they will be transferred elsewhere. Meanwhile, they can receive and send letters/mail and can go to commissary. Once they're transferred they can receive visits and make calls.

That's really all I know other than what my husband tells me--he's currently at the Byrd Unit (arrived there this week so we have up to 5 more to go). My husband told me that he's pretty much kept to his bunk and is let out to eat and shower. It's pretty boring and from what he tells me. Also, he told me that people arrive and leave and it's just lock clockwork with people coming and going. It's a pretty small place.

That's really all I know about the unit. Good luck! I hope your loved one will be transferred soon!
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

My bf was there 3 weeks.nd got transferred to Luther unit this week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by celestev_09 View Post
    My bf was there 3 weeks.nd got transferred to Luther unit this week.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Glad he was transferred! I hope closer to you. Now he can have visits and make calls! Yay!
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Yes its closer than all the other places.its 3 hours away.it sucks cause their only allowed one visit per weekend though.now I'm just waiting to see how the parole goes!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Yes its closer than all the other places.its 3 hours away.it sucks cause their only allowed one visit per weekend though.now I'm just waiting to see how the parole goes!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes, 1 visit per weekend is definitely TDCJ. The only upside is you receive contact visits if you're married and the visits are for 2 hours. I prefer TDCJ Visits compared to County because we have our contact visits, we have pictures, I get to buy snacks, and it's nice to not have glass. County was three times a week for 20 minutes behind glass....eh.

That's good 3 hours away. Most of the units I visited my husband at were 3 hours away too--that's great that he's not terribly far!

I wish you tons of luck on Parole. I read your guy has a 5 year sentence so there's hopes! The only thing I worry about with Parole for him is that Parole likes to see him serve TDCJ time and know how they adjust to the system before granting it. That's the only downside.

Otherwise, as long as he stays out of trouble and does what's required of him program and work wise (they get assigned jobs in TDCJ) he'll be a great candidate for Parole. As always I wish you LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of luck with Parole!!!!

Yes he did.nd i know that's why I'm nervous about it.my friends bf just got approved, his sentence was 4 years nd has the same charge as my bf.except mine had gotten 5. But they didn't do it together.its just crazy how me n my friend that has a bf doin time for the same thing.nd i called nd the lady said i could get contact visit there.nd i wouldn't wanna marry him in there just for that.id rather wait to do all that.nd thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks a bunch. I'm new to all this and don't really know where to look to get info on my dad. He got transferred there this week and I haven't heard from him yet / Anyway, thanks for your helpful information )

Veteran Member

Yes he did.nd i know that's why I'm nervous about it.my friends bf just got approved, his sentence was 4 years nd has the same charge as my bf.except mine had gotten 5. But they didn't do it together.its just crazy how me n my friend that has a bf doin time for the same thing.nd i called nd the lady said i could get contact visit there.nd i wouldn't wanna marry him in there just for that.id rather wait to do all that.nd thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    How do you get a contact visit? I know sometimes they're able to put in for a contact visit with friends or their fiances if there family doesn't come but other than that from what I read you must be married to receive a contact visit> I do know of some people who lie and say that their fiance's or girlfriends are their family member (sister) or whatnot but almost everyone I know that does that gets caught and lose all their privileges.

I don't blame you for waiting. You have to do what's best for you and him. I know that some people prefer to wait until their loved one comes home to get married and some do it inside. I know my husband and I did what we felt was/is best and it works for us.

Some people with the same charges have better luck or worst luck. I know someone who had similar charges as my husband and they received a set-off with Parole. It was his first time in and that's what happened. I felt bad but I realized with us it's a unique and totally different situation and I have yet to meet someone in the same boat. Luckily, we have 2 years left and after all the paperwork is done and transferred over to his new number and all that with Byrd then we'll see Parole. But then he'll probably have less than 2 years left which makes his chances better but at the same time worst based on his history. Good luck!

Veteran Member

Thanks a bunch. I'm new to all this and don't really know where to look to get info on my dad. He got transferred there this week and I haven't heard from him yet / Anyway, thanks for your helpful information )
    I know the feeling. I'm learning about Byrd and I started receiving letters shortly after he arrived and he's receiving mine. He tells me everything that goes on and it's pretty much a processing unit. I can see why they don't allow visits--they process and do everything in a group of people.

Well that's true.but it also depends what facility their at to get contact visits whether your a friend or gr or immediate family.my bf is at at trustee unit now.so everyone is allowed contact visits.the lady had told me imma be sitting across a picnic table from him while visiting him.nd i know i should know pretty soon what the answer is on parole...yikesss soo nervous!nd thanks goodluck with yours too!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Well that's true.but it also depends what facility their at to get contact visits whether your a friend or gr or immediate family.my bf is at at trustee unit now.so everyone is allowed contact visits.the lady had told me imma be sitting across a picnic table from him while visiting him.nd i know i should know pretty soon what the answer is on parole...yikesss soo nervous!nd thanks goodluck with yours too!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes. That's great! I'm happy to hear you will have contact visits and you'll hear back on Parole.

I believe TDCJ has it to if they're a trustee status then all visits are contact visits and I don't know how that applies to non-family and non-spouses. I receive contact visits with my husband because we're married. There are some units that are watchful and strict with contacts and some that are laid-back. I know that there are some units that use huge tables and the distance is horrible and some that have small tables and the distance is close. Yup-yup. I had contact visits with my husband at 3 different units...and whatever else comes up.

Smile YaY!!!

YaY!!! I finally got a letter from my dad today. I'm so exited and glad he's okay. He said it felt good to be "on tour" lol. It was his mini vacation. He also said that they stopped at four other facilities before making it to the Byrd Unit.

He stated that the Darrington Unit in Rosharon, Tx was the worst. It's old, spooky, the guards were mean and rude and that they had rats. He was debating on eating food from there but had no choice because he didn't know when they would be able to eat again.

Ugh, that sucks.

He said nothing but good things about the Byrd Unit. They're treated with respect, feed them good food, and they even have a/c or central air that actually works along with fans. He was like, "I moved up from a runned down, cheap motel to a luxury suite at the hotel" lol. He even has a room/cell with a view!!!

Veteran Member

YaY!!! I finally got a letter from my dad today. I'm so exited and glad he's okay. He said it felt good to be "on tour" lol. It was his mini vacation. He also said that they stopped at four other facilities before making it to the Byrd Unit.

He stated that the Darrington Unit in Rosharon, Tx was the worst. It's old, spooky, the guards were mean and rude and that they had rats. He was debating on eating food from there but had no choice because he didn't know when they would be able to eat again.

Ugh, that sucks.

He said nothing but good things about the Byrd Unit. They're treated with respect, feed them good food, and they even have a/c or central air that actually works along with fans. He was like, "I moved up from a runned down, cheap motel to a luxury suite at the hotel" lol. He even has a room/cell with a view!!!
    I'm so happy to hear that he's well. Glad to hear that he has a positive experience or experiencing positive things about Byrd. Seems like your father is in a different dorm than mine. My husband complains about it being too cold, no heat, and they leave the windows open. Other than that he says everything is rush rush rush......but no real complains--luckily!

Good to hear you received a letter!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information