+ Reply to Thread

Default Hubby is in Gist Unit

My hubby is in gist unit, and the parole unit had interview him 4 weeks ago, do you think I should call the angleton every week for hearing status? can I write direct to the board even I already mail the parole package to the board? I have 7 mos old child and I have to work from home and watch my child at the same time, I really need my hubby home, please let me know what I need to do. Thanks

i call every Fri to see what's goin on nd to if they transferred him.he was ate gist unit for 2 months nd during spring break he got transferred to byrd unit.he's also in review too.he saw them at the beginning of march.goodluck with yours.nd i didn't send anything, so we shall see if he gets approved or denied.
    Posted via Mobile Device

gordostia

two of my brothers are at gist how long has ur husband been there?

Veteran Member

My husband was at the Gist unit for about 6 months. It's ok, or it was 3 years ago. I don't know what it is like now. We had contact visits. The staff at that time was nice but there were a few who weren't. My husband was there like I said for 6 months then they had to get him off the unit because he was TDC time and it's a state jail. Hopefully someone will come along and have more updated information for you.

to celestive: He told me to call once a week
    to gordostia: almost 4mos
    to texascowgirl: mine also tdc time too and we had contact visit.
    Last edited by Invisible; 04-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    My hubby is in gist unit, and the parole unit had interview him 4 weeks ago, do you think I should call the angleton every week for hearing status? can I write direct to the board even I already mail the parole package to the board? I have 7 mos old child and I have to work from home and watch my child at the same time, I really need my hubby home, please let me know what I need to do. Thanks
    If I understand you correctly, the local unit IPO(institution parole officer...the one assigned to Gist) interviewed him 4 weeks ago.

I would think that by this time he/she has had time to work up all the case notes and send them to Huntsville, who would have in turned forwarded it to Angleton Board.

So yes! I'd be calling the Angleton board every week, if not 2 times a week and ask them if they have his file and when they will vote on his case.

You can even go so far as requesting a telephone interview with the lead voter. We did. And they called me 3 or 4 days before they voted. And I believe it helped them reach a favorable decision.

If you DO decide to request a telephone interview, make a list of things on a piece of paper that you want to tell the board when they call. List things like HOW he has improved since being in the system, if he shows remorse for what he did to get him into TDCJ, what he's doing to improve himself, what his plans are when he gets out, etc, etc, etc. They need to know he has a support network in place when he gets out, and he is committed to never going back to his old ways that caused him to be where he is now.

Hope that helps and good luck! God Bless.
    "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

to Joe817: thank you so much, and yes his file already transfer from Huntsville to Angelton, and I will call them 2x a week

Angelton? Whats that?? i called Austin parole board nd thy told me i prolly won't get a answer till June.but the paper my bf sent it said 2-6 weeks.it sucks not knowing what's gonna happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

gist is ok my husband was there for a yr then went to a trustee camp. but they do take a long time for an answer all you can do is call

Quote Originally Posted by celestev_09 View Post
    Angelton? Whats that?? i called Austin parole board nd thy told me i prolly won't get a answer till June.but the paper my bf sent it said 2-6 weeks.it sucks not knowing what's gonna happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Each unit in the TDCJ system is assigned to a regional parole board. There are 6 of them throughout the state.

The Angleton Board is responsible for 24 units.

You can find out which board handles your loved one's unit at:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_...locations.html

You'll have to click on each "See Assigned Unit" to find out which one serves your loved one's unit, but it's sure worth it!

I never went through the main Huntsville or Austin Parole Board offices. I always went to the one assigned to our daughter's unit, since they are the one's that will vote on her. And that's where we sent our support packet, and where the lead voter called me from to do the telephone interview thingy.

And yes it DOES suck not knowing what's going on! But with enough reading...LOTS of it, and going to the TDCJ & Board of Pardon and Parole websites and read, read, read, then read some more, you CAN learn how they handle things, and it eventually starts to be understandable. But you have to do a LOT of reading, and of course coming here and asking questions.

There's a TON of helpful information in the Offender Orientation Handbook, that all offenders get when they enter the TDCJ system.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publicat...ntHbkNov04.pdf

It's 111 pages long, but it sure helps to know the rules your loved one inside the system has to handle himself/herself. It took me 3 days to read through it all, but I came away with a good understanding of the system.

As far as parole goes, their website is just as informative:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/

Hope that helps!

Veteran Member

If you want to send any Parole Packets or Support Letters you will need to call and make sure you are able to do that because they do close out the file a certain time for Support Letters and Parole Packets. When your husband goes to speak with the IPO they will give them that information and let them know. It is also dated on the paperwork. My husband sends me all his paperwork from TDCJ and when he signed for the Notification Stating he's in review it said all supporting information had to be in by such and such time.

You can call and receive that information from the Angleton Board Office and see if it's not too late to send anything. You can also speak to them aboard a phone interview. Each Board has their policies with phone interviews. I know of one Board that flat out does not do any phone interview request; another Board makes a person submit it in writing; and another Board you can request by phone. You will need to speak to the Angleton Board Office on how they do it and I suggest that even if you do a phone request that you submit it in writing as well.

My friends told me after that the vote happens 4-6 weeks after the IPO Interview. So you might want to start calling every week or twice a week as Joe said in his post. Since the interview took place 4 weeks ago they could of already voted and you might already have an answer.
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by celestev_09 View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Joe had a great post that answered some of your questions. I will simply add on to what joe said. I am told by Parole Analyst and the Parole Board that once your boyfriend starts the review status it takes 4-6 months for the Parole Process and to receive an answer. Once the IPO interviews your boyfriend the process from there is 4-6 weeks before the file is voted on by the Board.

It is hard not knowing what's going to happen. For my husband and I it's been a total nightmare with Parole and the whole process so I literally gave up. I won't call or do anything until I know for sure the IPO Interviewed my husband and that's when I will call in. Otherwise, there's no point in it and I'm just going to sit back and relax and try to prepare him for the IPO Interview and continue to find programs and opportunities out here that can help him and we can talk about and tell Parole. I'd like my husband home but you can't simply rush the Parole Process.

I suggest that if you have not already done so to do a Parole Packet or Supoort Letters. You might want to look into that and talk with your boyfriend and see if that's something you two want to do. I know some loved ones who support the idea and some who don't--all depends on what works for you.
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post
    I won't call or do anything until I know for sure the IPO Interviewed my husband and that's when I will call in. Otherwise, there's no point in it and I'm just going to sit back and relax and try to prepare him for the IPO Interview and continue to find programs and opportunities out here that can help him and we can talk about and tell Parole. I'd like my husband home but you can't simply rush the Parole Process.

I suggest that if you have not already done so to do a Parole Packet or Supoort Letters. You might want to look into that and talk with your boyfriend and see if that's something you two want to do. I know some loved ones who support the idea and some who don't--all depends on what works for you.
    JP, that's excellent advice! A hastily put together support packet does nothing to help your loved one. And trying to rush around to put one together before the IPO interview is, IMO a waste of time and produces a LOT of stress.

On the other hand, if you take your time, visit with your loved one about what he/she is gonna do after they get out, what plans he/she has for continued rehabilitation after release, and putting THOSE things in a support packet will demonstrate to the parole board that they ARE trying their best to improve themselves and NOT revert back to their old ways that caused them to be where they are right now, and they have a support network in place to help achieve their goals for improvement.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe817 View Post
    JP, that's excellent advice! A hastily put together support packet does nothing to help your loved one. And trying to rush around to put one together before the IPO interview is, IMO a waste of time and produces a LOT of stress.

On the other hand, if you take your time, visit with your loved one about what he/she is gonna do after they get out, what plans he/she has for continued rehabilitation after release, and putting THOSE things in a support packet will demonstrate to the parole board that they ARE trying their best to improve themselves and NOT revert back to their old ways that caused them to be where they are right now, and they have a support network in place to help achieve their goals for improvement.
    Joe that is very true! I'm about to put together another Support Packet/Support Letters to update our Parole Plan and all the new information that came up since I wrote one. Plus, send in supporting information to show Parole that these things do exist so my words aren't simply just words--they have meaning. It'll take about a month to collect and do all of this but it's well worth it.

Okay thanks.nd my bf said he's at a trustee unit.isn't that a good thing??
    Posted via Mobile Device

thank You Joe & Jp, I did sent the parole packet to the board & my hubby also wrote them couple letters.. I guess I just have to call in twice a week, I am about to write another letter for the board.

Veteran Member

thank You Joe & Jp, I did sent the parole packet to the board & my hubby also wrote them couple letters.. I guess I just have to call in twice a week, I am about to write another letter for the board.
    I wish you the best of luck and deeply pray that your husband makes parole. *hugs*

Thanks Jp, I want to go to Angelton office, but I just don't know what to do, do you think I should go?

Veteran Member

Yes, that's a good thing. His good time--if not a 3G or Violent Offense--will reflect in his good time earning status. This may possibly move up his Project Release Date and other things. Not to mention he is able to have contact visits.

Veteran Member

That's great! If you feel comfortable enough doing it--request a Phone Interview with the Lead Voter. I'd say that you're doing great in sending a Parole packet and calling twice a week. I pray very hard for Parole for your loved one. Keep us posted on things.

Veteran Member

Thanks Jp, I want to go to Angelton office, but I just don't know what to do, do you think I should go?
    Depends what you want to know. If you want to know basic information--if he was approved for Parole or what the answer is then you can obtain that from the general Parole Status Line. If you want to know direct information--why he was denied, the location of the file, or where things are with the Parole Process then your best bet is to call Angleton. When you call, be sure you can speak to them and tell them directly what you're looking for and why you're calling and have his TDCJ or State ID Number ready.

When I call the Parole Board, (the Location my husband fell under), I was very direct with what I was looking for and it tend to be something that could not be answered by the Parole Status Line and perhaps a Parole Analyst. Don't be afraid to call Arlington Parole Board Office. I have yet to have a problem calling the Parole Board for information about things. I have heard of a few times that Parole Boards are not friendly, but everyone has their own experience with the Parole Board. Good luck!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.

I did call to check on his hearing date, but they told me Angelton already got his file from Huntsville but it still in process, my hubby wants me to go up there to see if I can speak direct with the board, but I don't know what else I need to ask or to say.

Veteran Member

I did call to check on his hearing date, but they told me Angelton already got his file from Huntsville but it still in process, my hubby wants me to go up there to see if I can speak direct with the board, but I don't know what else I need to ask or to say.
    If Angelton IPO has the File then they will have to interview your husband at his unit--his IPO will do that. How fast it is done depends on their caseload and how soon they can interview him and compile his file for the Board. If the file reached the Angleton Parole Board then it is said that the waiting time for an answer is 4 to 6 weeks.

Overall, the process is estimated to take 6 to 8 months from the start of the review before it gets through the process. You are making all the right steps but there's not much else, we as family members and loved ones, can do. If you want to speak with the Lead Voter for Parole then it is suggested you put in for a Phone Interview Request (call and request this with the Angelton Parole Board and submit a letter in writing of your phone number, time you can be reach, and a request to speak with the Lead Voter). Other than that, it's the Parole Packet.

Otherwise, there's not much you can really do other than sit back and wait for the process to go through the necessary steps. As for going directly in person to the Board--it's not recommended and don't do face-to-face interviews or meetings with Offenders' family members. Plus, some say you don't want to rub them the wrong way.

It's a stressful process and nerve racking but we all go through it and you have plenty of support here.
    Last edited by JP0619; 04-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.

I got it, but my hubby still want me to go up there, I don't know.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information