+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joe f. Gurney unit

MY HUNNY JUS GOT TRANSPORTED TO THE JOE F. GURNEY UNIT HE'S DOIN TWO YEARS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT, NEW TO THIS WHOLE THING...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_turner View Post
    MY HUNNY JUS GOT TRANSPORTED TO THE JOE F. GURNEY UNIT HE'S DOIN TWO YEARS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT, NEW TO THIS WHOLE THING...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm here to help you please contact me on yahoo. At the_vegafamy@yahoo.com
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_turner View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device

The Gurney Unit is a transfer facility and intake unit to where an offender once through intake can stay up to 2 years. Since he was transferred to Gurney he will go through the intake process which can take up to 30 days. During this time he is unable to make calls and receive visits but can send out letters and receive letters and packages. He will also have the opportunity to go to intake and so when you have the opportunity and if you can you should put money in his commissary account. The fastest way to do this is through jpay but there are other methods offered that suit your needs which is at this link. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/finance/...nmatetrust.htm

Jpay you can write him letters and he can receive them the next day (or if you write him before 2PM and he's at Gurney he can receive it the same day). If you want you can send him correspondence supplies and books through a TDCJ Approved Book Vendor.

Also, if you have a landline and have the opportunity to you want to register your phone number with Texas Friends and Family. You will have to be on the visitor list and they update every Tuesday/Thursday. http://www.texasprisonphone.com/

Once is he cleared intake and assigned a dorm and put into population he can receive visits and make phone calls. You will want to call the unit to check to make sure your on the Visitor List.

Gurney is an okay unit. However, he can transfer from Gurney to any unit once cleared through intake. Since he has about 2 years he will probably stay with a transfer unit becuase one can stay in a transfer unit up to 2 years.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JP0619 View Post

The Gurney Unit is a transfer facility and intake unit to where an offender once through intake can stay up to 2 years. Since he was transferred to Gurney he will go through the intake process which can take up to 30 days. During this time he is unable to make calls and receive visits but can send out letters and receive letters and packages. He will also have the opportunity to go to intake and so when you have the opportunity and if you can you should put money in his commissary account. The fastest way to do this is through jpay but there are other methods offered that suit your needs which is at this link. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/finance/...nmatetrust.htm

Jpay you can write him letters and he can receive them the next day (or if you write him before 2PM and he's at Gurney he can receive it the same day). If you want you can send him correspondence supplies and books through a TDCJ Approved Book Vendor.

Also, if you have a landline and have the opportunity to you want to register your phone number with Texas Friends and Family. You will have to be on the visitor list and they update every Tuesday/Thursday. http://www.texasprisonphone.com/

Once is he cleared intake and assigned a dorm and put into population he can receive visits and make phone calls. You will want to call the unit to check to make sure your on the Visitor List.

Gurney is an okay unit. However, he can transfer from Gurney to any unit once cleared through intake. Since he has about 2 years he will probably stay with a transfer unit becuase one can stay in a transfer unit up to 2 years.

Good luck!
    I have been meaning to ask you.. in your reply about Gurney Unit I have noticed you say "packages" can you please clarify packages for me? I think it will help others if you do as well..
    Thanks and have a great day!!!

Veteran Member

i'm sure by packages, they are referring to books and stationary sent by approved vendors. They can receive paper, envelopes, calenders, and books but they have to be sent by the store. They can also receive magazines as well. You can send him a subscription to your hometown paper as well.The paper has to be plain with nothing on it and no colored paper.

Quote Originally Posted by baileysabuela View Post
    I have been meaning to ask you.. in your reply about Gurney Unit I have noticed you say "packages" can you please clarify packages for me? I think it will help others if you do as well..
    Your loved one can recieve magazine subscriptions, newspaper subscriptions, books, and writing supplies from commercial vendors. You cannot send him/her those things directly. They MUST come from a commercial vendor.

For example:
    Books - Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com
    Writing Supplies - Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Rosie's Graphics.

We send our loved one books from Amazon.com & Borders. She writes us & tells us what she wants and we order and pay for it, and have it sent directly to her.

For writing supplies(writing pads, envelopes, log journals, etc) we use Rosie's Graphics. She's right here in Texas and ALL of her items are approved by TDCJ. I'd be reluctant to send them anything from someplace like Office Depot because I wouldn't know if the actual item being shipped would be allowed at the unit. Nothing with staples, or wire spirals can be sent to them.

http://www.rosiesgraphics.com/

The nice thing about Rosie's is that she prints their name and TDCJ # on the envelope so they don't have to. And VERY reasonable in price.

There is a VERY informative online booklet on the TDCJ website that is a must read for any new comer to this. I would have been lost without reading it. It's called the General Information Guide for Families of Offenders

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publicat...ders_print.pdf

It goes into detail what can and cannot be sent.

I hope that helps a 'lil bit.

littlehoney

thanks for the info on rosies. put in an order today. nothing super special but i am happy i can at least send him SOMETHING.

My husband was there 2yrs and we never had any problems guards were very nice to us, once in a while u will meet individual who aren't happy but don't let it get u down.

God bless

littlehoney

how long does the intake process usually take at Gurney? They tell me 30-45 days when I call but can it be faster?

Quote Originally Posted by littlehoney View Post
    how long does the intake process usually take at Gurney? They tell me 30-45 days when I call but can it be faster?
    It can be as fast as two weeks. It took three for my son
    Posted via Mobile Device

littlehoney

thanks hoping it doesn't take 45 days, i'm going crazy not being able to talk to him.

thanks hoping it doesn't take 45 days, i'm going crazy not being able to talk to him.
    I so understand! That was the part that drove me crazy at first. then it was the lock downs they have. No phone calls but visits continue. Just keep writing and I'm sure as soon as he can, he will call or write you.

Until then.. just holler at us... we'll talk to ya and try to help you through :-)
    Have a great day .. the sun is shining and it's gonna be a great day..

littlehoney

thanks for the support. i have a long road ahead and it is not getting any easier

thanks for the info on Rosie's. prices are reasonable enough. Sent my son a few things from there this morning. It will keep him in paper and envelopes on those days they choose not to allow them access to the commissary for one reason or another.
    I hope everyone has an awesome weekend and if you are going to visit your loved one,, I hope you have a safe trip, fantastic visit and try to enjoy the beauty of the scenery along the long road there and back. No matter how close or how far our loved ones are from us we need to take the time to see and reflect on God's creations along those back roads. If you take the time to really look, you might surprise yourself at how peaceful the trip can really be.
    Has anyone ever stopped at that Monastery that is on FM 287 heading to Gurney Unit? Every time I go down there I say I'm going to stop by there and see if they will just add my son to their morning prayers but not sure if I can just "pop" in .. does anyone know?

Default Visitation

My friend is in joe f. gunrey unit and I would like to know if anyone can tell me about the visitations? Do they get contact visits or do they have to be behind a window visit? I want to go visit but am not sure. So could anyone please help me get an answer?

Thanks
    baby_girl

Quote Originally Posted by baby_girl View Post
    My friend is in joe f. gunrey unit and I would like to know if anyone can tell me about the visitations? Do they get contact visits or do they have to be behind a window visit? I want to go visit but am not sure. So could anyone please help me get an answer?

Thanks
    baby_girl
    Make sure you are on the visiting list. Contact visits can only happen for immediate family members unless exceptions have been made through the warden is my understanding. Please read posts on this thread. It will explain the visiting procedures dos and don't.. LOL

If you visit, have a great visit.

Make sure you are on the visiting list. Contact visits can only happen for immediate family members unless exceptions have been made through the warden is my understanding. Please read posts on this thread. It will explain the visiting procedures dos and don't.. LOL

If you visit, have a great visit.
    Ok thx. but however I have know idea when visiting days or times are yet!

littlehoney

Ok thx. but however I have know idea when visiting days or times are yet!
    Saturdays and Sundays 8-5

Veteran Member

I can certainly clarify for you. When I typed packages it meant when you ship them correspondence materials (writing paper, envelopes); books; calendars, puzzles, magazines. Just items you will want them to have for entertainment or whatnot while they're at TDCJ. You can purchase on Approved TDCJ websites such as http://www.texasprisonbookstore.com/packages.htm or Amazon.com or through other vendors (might want to do a Google/Yahoo/Bing Search for those because I know there's quite a few but I'm unsure off the top of my head)

Veteran Member

Thanks
    baby_girl
    As one poster said Contact visits are for Immediate Family and Spouses through ceremony or common law marriage. Always want to call the unit he's at the Friday before you visit to make sure he is still there and has not transferred to another unit and double check that you are on the Visitor List. Good luck!

littlehoney

I had a pretty good experience visiting at Gurney. I did have to change my shirt (they thought my undershirt was my primary shirt :/) but they were really nice about it. It wasn't too crowded, didn't have to wait at all. And I actually met the warden during our visit. My fiance pointed him out so as I was leaving I said hello and he was very polite. I always expect the worst so I was pleasantly surprised.

Veteran Member

I had a pretty good experience visiting at Gurney. I did have to change my shirt (they thought my undershirt was my primary shirt :/) but they were really nice about it. It wasn't too crowded, didn't have to wait at all. And I actually met the warden during our visit. My fiance pointed him out so as I was leaving I said hello and he was very polite. I always expect the worst so I was pleasantly surprised.
    That's great! I'm happy to hear that you had a great visit and things went smoothly! :-)
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

My husband went to gurney when he left county..he stayed there two weeks then was sent to buster cole unit.they will do his intake,physical and ect at gurney before they transfer him anywhere else.

My Husband was transferred to Joe F Gurney unit on Friday April 29 after spending 63 days in county jail. His sentence was for 2 years with credit of time served of almost 1 year for violation of probation on a DWI charge. His parole eligibility date is 10/10/10 (which is before he actually went to jail) and his projected release date is 6/19/11. These are my questions:
    1. How long is the intake process at Gurney?
    2. Could he parole out any day or only after intake is complete?
    3. Will he be released on 6/19/11 if he doesn't parole out before that?
    4. Can he receive mail or make phone calls during the intake process?
    5. When he is released will they give him a bus ticket to our county since it's over 3 hours away?
    6. Since his PED was almost 7 months ago what is the process for him to be paroled?
    Any information will be helpful! Thank you!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kelleyc View Post
    My Husband was transferred to Joe F Gurney unit on Friday April 29 after spending 63 days in county jail. His sentence was for 2 years with credit of time served of almost 1 year for violation of probation on a DWI charge. His parole eligibility date is 10/10/10 (which is before he actually went to jail) and his projected release date is 6/19/11. These are my questions:
    1. How long is the intake process at Gurney?
    2. Could he parole out any day or only after intake is complete?
    4. Can he receive mail or make phone calls during the intake process?
    5. When he is released will they give him a bus ticket to our county since it's over 3 hours away?
    6. Since his PED was almost 7 months ago what is the process for him to be paroled?
    Any information will be helpful! Thank you!
    1. How long is the intake process at Gurney? The intake process can take anywhere from 30-45 days. From what I experience it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get through intake for the most part at Gurney.

2. Could he parole out any day or only after intake is complete? Most likely he is going through the Review Process with Parole. Since he just went in it most likely will take awhile because his file has to be pulled from Huntsville and assigned to and sent to the IPO Office. Once at the IPO Office it will reach the IPO Office who will go and interview your husband at his unit. The IPO Officer compiles the report and sends it to the Parole Board for a vote. This process can take anywhere from 6 to 8 months. ALl that it depends on is how fast they get to his file, process his file and interview him, and how fast the Board can vote. (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/what...ole/review.htm)

As of current Legislation the Parole Board has to approve of a Offender's Mandatory Supervision Date/Projected Release Date. So, this is completely discretionary by the Parole Board if he's released on or near this date. However, if new Legislation is passed then they will remove the option of Parole voting to approve and release someone on their Projected Release Date/Mandatory Supervision Date and automatically release them if depend not dangerous to the public.

4. Can he receive mail or make phone calls during the intake process? Once he completes the intake process he will be able to make calls however, you must registered to receive calls from him. You can register through the Texas Friends & Family at http://www.texasprisonphone.com/ You must agree to certain conditions including: all calls coming from an Offender must be made to a registered landline phone and you are the registered owner of the landline phone. Calls will not be made to a Cell Phone.

5. When he is released will they give him a bus ticket to our county since it's over 3 hours away? Currently, if he is granted parole then he can receive a bus ticket and $50.00 once released. Upon meeting with his Parole Officer he will receive another $50. This is considered gate money.

6. Since his PED was almost 7 months ago what is the process for him to be paroled? Since his Parole Eligibility Date is 7 months ago then he is in the review process. The parole process is here: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/what...ole/review.htm. For Parole Consideration they will compile a Risk Assessment and since he's a DWI they do a Supplemental DWI Risk Assessment. (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/new_...uidelines.html) Typically friends and family members either hire Parole Attorneys or do the leg-work themselves to send in a Support Packet which includes letters from friends, family, significant others to show that he has a support system on the outside that will reduce the changes for recidivism.

Also, here are some phone numbers to contact to check his Parole Status
    http://tdcj.state.tx.us/publications...ders_print.pdf

If you want specific information about Parole it is suggested that you contact the Parole Board that he falls under. (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_...locations.html)

Here's a TDCJ Guide for Friends and Family Members that may be helpful: http://tdcj.state.tx.us/publications...ders_print.pdf

When should this new legislation be passed to remove the option of parole voting? Do you think it will pass?

Veteran Member

When should this new legislation be passed to remove the option of parole voting? Do you think it will pass?
    Unless it is emergency stated it should take effect, once passed, Sept. 1, 2011. It's House Bill 2352 and there's a high chance, given the TDCJ Budget Cuts and Texas Budget Crises, that it can pass. There no set deadline to when it will pass--just has to go through the stages of a Bill.

littlehoney

If there is no voting, how will they determine if they make parole or not?
    this is probably a stupid question, haha. I just have no idea how things work.

Veteran Member

If there is no voting, how will they determine if they make parole or not?
    this is probably a stupid question, haha. I just have no idea how things work.
    I believe the Parole Board will vote to release an Offender/Inmate sooner than their Mandatory Supervision Date. However, those that qualify for Mandatory Supervision (they have a Projected Release sooner than their Max Date) will be released on that date. I think they will just go back to pre-1996 before the Legislation passed for the Parole Board to Vote to Mandatory Supervision. The only Offense that are ineligible for Mandatory Supervision are 3G/Violent Offenses and those described in the Bill, otherwise they're eligible.

Can anyone tell me where to send a parole support letter if he's in Joe F. Gurney unit?

Veteran Member

Can anyone tell me where to send a parole support letter if he's in Joe F. Gurney unit?
    Gurney Unit is under the Palestine Board. Here is their information:

PALESTINE BOARD OFFICE
    133 E. Reagan Street
    Palestine, TX 75801
    903-723-1068
    903-723-1441 Fax

Jackie DeNoyelles, Board Member
    (2-1-11)*

James Paul Kiel, Parole Commissioner

James Hensarling, Parole Commissioner

littlehoney

okay. completely random question. has anyone tried wearing a dress to visitation? I want to, but I don't want them to make me change.

Can I fax in a support letter to parole or should it be mailed? Should I call the parole office for Gurney unit? Do they consider phone calls support? Is it favorable for the family to call them often? I'm not sure what I would say but I want to do what's necessary to help him parole out. Also, can my husband call on my cell phone (once he's through the intake process)? In county he could call my cell phone and it was through the securus website.

Veteran Member

Can I fax in a support letter to parole or should it be mailed? Should I call the parole office for Gurney unit? Do they consider phone calls support? Is it favorable for the family to call them often? I'm not sure what I would say but I want to do what's necessary to help him parole out. Also, can my husband call on my cell phone (once he's through the intake process)? In county he could call my cell phone and it was through the securus website.
    Unfortunately, you can't contact the IPO at Gurney. You may be able to contact the Regional IPO but they can't tell you much other than they have the file and they'll interview soon. The most any family/friend can do for a loved one is a Support Packet for Parole and send it out to the Parole Board Office. I'm unsure if you can fax it or mail it because I usually Priority Mail it Certified Mail/Delivery Confirmation and once delivered I call and check to make sure it's received. You can call and talk with the Parole Board about a phone interview and put that request in but that's pretty much all you can do I believe.

To receive phone calls from your husband you must have a registered landline. The landline must be in your name (they will check to make sure you're calling from a landline) and you must be listed on the Visitor List. You will have to go to think link: http://www.texasprisonphone.com/ and register online (it's quicker if you do it over the phone). You must agree to certain conditions including that you will not receive calls or forward calls to a cell phone. They will set-up your account and forward it to Securus who will set-up the account.

If you have Securus from County then you will have to call Securus and talk with them about what you want to do with that account because that account is pretty much gone because of the TDCJ account that you now have.

What is in a support packet besides support letters? And I send the letters to the address in Palestine instead of Austin, TX - or should I send to both places? Also, if I call the parole board in Austin can they give me information on his parole review status? I know that his file was pulled on 4/17/11 - can they tell me any more than that? Thanks so much for all the info!

Veteran Member

What is in a support packet besides support letters? And I send the letters to the address in Palestine instead of Austin, TX - or should I send to both places? Also, if I call the parole board in Austin can they give me information on his parole review status? I know that his file was pulled on 4/17/11 - can they tell me any more than that? Thanks so much for all the info!

Support packet is any information that you believe will be helpful to the Parole Voters when they vote. It can be letters, certificates, pictures, etc. It's what you feel is comfortable. I read about people sending pictures and copying certificates and sending it in the Parole Packet. It's up to you.

You can send it to both places if you chose but the files are electronic so if you send it to Austin they will mail you a confirmation letter that they receive it. I believe most likely they receive it and scan it into the system--Central File Coordination Unit. Or you can send it to Palestine Board and you can call and check to make sure it's received. Really your choice? Personally, I send to one or the other. I don't really feel comfortable clogging up things but some people send a copy to both places because they feel that it might get lost and it's just a reassurance.

If you call the Parole Review in Austin they will tell you that he's in review and if a decision is made or not made. They can't give you any detailed information about Parole. People try to call various department Austin, Parole Board, and so on but bottom line is detailed information about the parole process for a specific offend is pretty hard to get. Some people are able to get information about where the file is located and who has the file. Personally, I never tried to figure it out becuase I just let things run it's natural course. The process is going to at its own pace and there's no way to rush it.

His file is pulled 4/17--meaning he went into the Parole Review Process. Here's the process:

1. State Ready: Following offender conviction, county commitment documents and forwarded to TDCJ-CID for placement into TDCJ Data Systems.

2. Casepull: The offender is identified as eligible for parole within six months of calculated parole eligibility (or set review,based on prior action by the Board of Pardons and Paroles (BPP)).

3.Review Process: The Institutional Parole Officer (IPO) gathers pertinent data regarding the offender (from offense reports, probation reports,parole revocation information, etc.).

4. Process: The IPO interviews the offender and completes a detailed Case Summary outlining criminal,social, medical, psychological, and institutional adjustment history;the offender’s file is submitted to the BPP for review.

5 Vote: Using the Case Summary and related documents,the BPP makes a decision and sets appropriate special conditions.

Since he started on 4/16 they will have to go through the process. Huntsville assigns your husband's file to a Regional IPO and the Regional IPO will assign it to a Unit IPO who will interview the offender and compile the information. The Parole process takes 6 to 8 months so they usually say an answer will come between October and December. At times the process can go faster or slower depending on caseload but it really depends on how fast the process is done.

Hi , I am new member. My husband was transferred to gurney 2 weeks ago. He was in county for a month. Im scared and so is our son. He was sentenced to 3 years. Can anyone help me through this? His parole comes up in July. Is there any chance he will get it? It was a non violent offense. Thank you

How do we know when the intake process is complete? I did an online search and his information is already up, does that mean that process has been completed?
    In Him who is love, ~E~

No necessarily. Call the unit on Friday between 1-4 and they will let you know if he is able to have visits. Once they tell you yes, make sure you are dressed appropriately, by their standards, to keep from heartache and headaches. They can make your visit very uncomfortable if you come once dressed wrong. it's best just to wear a pair of sweat pants that are a little baggy, tennis shoes, and a shirt that is NOT fitting in any way. They keep a record of anyone who doesn't obey the dress code and will threaten you with not allowing visits. I'm only telling you this because it's best to dress down and not revealing so you don't give the guards a reason to hassle you. The only thing you can take in is up to $20 in quarters, drivers license and car keys. I didn't take my keys in just the clicker because I had a picture on the key ring.
    Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us updated on your journey. Know that we are here to listen and someone always has an experience to share or advice to give. We try to help one another the best we can.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyk95833 View Post
    Hi , I am new member. My husband was transferred to gurney 2 weeks ago. He was in county for a month. Im scared and so is our son. He was sentenced to 3 years. Can anyone help me through this? His parole comes up in July. Is there any chance he will get it? It was a non violent offense. Thank you
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I believe he should be near the completion of intake and you can call the Unit and see if he's eligible for Visits and Phone calls. Once he goes through intake he is sent to General Population until he is either transferred or served out the 2 years allowed to be at a transfer unit. The odds of Parole are very unknown and it's a hit-or-miss with Parole. People say the best way to determine when their loved ones will come home is through the Projected Release Date. That's an accurate estimation. Most likely he's already in the Parole Review Process of his Parole Eligibility is in July. I believe the time frame to go through the process is 6 to 8 months. I wish you two tons of luck!

If my husband has been sentenced to 4yrs TDCJ & 2yrs state jail what are the chances he will be tranferred to a state jail after he's done with the intake process?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Also if sumone could please advise me the proper way to send my husband books and an approved distributor Id b so thankful.
    Posted via Mobile Device

littlehoney

I just use Barnes and Noble. You can buy the books online and they get there quickly! If you are looking to send paper and envelopes I recommend Rosies Graphics. They are also very quick and her prices are very reasonable.

This may b a stupid question but do u kno if Rosies graphics is cheaper than the commensary prices? Im new to this whole thing. My husbamds been gone since June1st & I have 4 kids. So im looking to save any litl bit I can. This site is so great its been such a relief and help to me. Thank you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

littlehoney

I am not sure, I would assume. I use her because she is cheaper than Walmart so I would imagine it is cheaper than commissary. I am pretty new as well. My husband has been gone about six months and I have learned a lot from this forum!

littlehoney

AND. If you are looking for a cheaper read, look up magazine subscriptions. They are usually pretty reasonably priced and then he can trade it with another man in there for a new magazine when he finishes it.

Do you know if Hastings is an approved distributor and if not wher can I call to find out? Also u mentioned Wal mart? Are we able to send supplies directly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

littlehoney

no, I just think Walmart is the cheapest place around so I compare everything to them. haha. I am not sure about Hastings, if it is a bookstore I am sure it will be fine. I have used a local bookstore {deseret book} and it made it through. As long as the bookstore ships you should be fine! Or just call Gurney and ask to speak to the mail room and they will be able to help you!

So is everything offered on rosie's graphics approved to b sent to the inmates of TDCJ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

littlehoney

yep, it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information