Additional information is on
    the website.
    Update: 11/13/2012
    Cell Phones
    are now
    Allowed

Cell Phone Registration
    http://texasoffenderfriendsandfamily.com/default.asp

Cell phone registrations are now being accepted! ENROLLMENT CENTER WILL BE ACCEPTING CALLS ON SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10 FROM 8 AM ? 3 PM (CENTRAL)
    Rules for cell phone registrations Only cell phones with ?post-paid? billing arrangements will be allowed. Pre-paid phones will not be approved.
    Pre-paid cell phones (Pay-As-You-Go) are phones for which credit is purchased in advance. Providers include TracFone, Boost Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, and T-Mobile Prepaid. Post-paid cell phones are phones where the user chooses a calling plan and enters into regular billing arrangement with the provider. Examples include AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile.
    Pre-paid phones are not allowed due to TDCJ security policies.
    All cell phone registrations must be processed by calling the enrollment center at 1.866.806.7804, option 1, 0 from the cell phone you are registering.
    If you are registering more than 1 cell phone, you have to call from each cell phone number that you want to register.
    All cell phone registrations must be processed by calling the Enrollment Center at 1.866.806.7804, option 1, 0. The representative will call your cell phone provider with you on the line to verify ownership of the account and confirm that the cell phone is not pre-paid.
    You cannot port your landline phone to a cell phone without calling the Enrollment Center to register the number as a cell phone. All numbers ported from a landline to a cell phone will be blocked until you call to re-register it as a cell phone.
    You may keep your landline phone registered AND register your cell phone.
    Due to the extra call volume of so many customers registering their cell phones, the hold times are much longer than usual. Please be patient as we try to help every customer.
    Last edited by TexasDust; 11-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Exclamation Welcome to Texas Friends and Family Enrollment Center Website

Texas Offender Telephone Friends and Family Enrollment
    Click On Link In Red To Get You to This Page

Home
    Registration
    Attorney Info
    Rates
    FAQs
    Contact Us
    About Us
    En Espanol

Welcome to Texas Friends and Family Enrollment Center Website

On this site you will find information on how to register to receive calls from an offender located at a Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) facility.

Texas Department of Criminal Justice has contracted with Embarq Payphone Services, Inc. (EPSI) to provide calling services to the offenders at the facilities of the TDCJ. Our recipients are friends, relatives, and attorneys who receive calls from the offenders.

The Offender Telephone System (OTS) allows eligible offenders to make paid telephone calls to friends and family listed on the Offender’s Visitor List. Offenders with major disciplinary problems, gang affiliations, or on death row will not have access to the telephone system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following rules apply to the system:

Phones are available from 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM, unless conditions dictate a change
    Calls are limited to 15 minutes
    You will hear a warning message one minute before being disconnected
    Offenders are limited to 120 minutes per month
    All calls, except to the Attorney of Record, are subject to monitoring, recording and voice recognition to complete call
    Calls may only be made to home landline telephone numbers ("Home phone"). No calls are allowed to cell phones, 800 numbers, businesses, pay phones, or international numbers
    Friends and family members listed on the Offender’s Visitor List are required to meet certain validation requirements. These requirements are listed on the Registration page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victims Information Page
    If a victim does not wish to receive calls from offenders, they should contact the

VICTIM SERVICES DIVISION
    8712 Shoal Creek Blvd., Ste. 265
    Austin, Texas 78757
    Tele: 1-800-848-4284

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDust View Post
    Texas Offender Telephone Friends and Family Enrollment
    Click On Link In Red To Get You to This Page

Home
    Registration
    Attorney Info
    Rates
    FAQs
    Contact Us
    About Us
    En Espanol

Welcome to Texas Friends and Family Enrollment Center Website

On this site you will find information on how to register to receive calls from an offender located at a Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) facility.

Texas Department of Criminal Justice has contracted with Embarq Payphone Services, Inc. (EPSI) to provide calling services to the offenders at the facilities of the TDCJ. Our recipients are friends, relatives, and attorneys who receive calls from the offenders.

The Offender Telephone System (OTS) allows eligible offenders to make paid telephone calls to friends and family listed on the Offender’s Visitor List. Offenders with major disciplinary problems, gang affiliations, or on death row will not have access to the telephone system.

Phones are available from 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM, unless conditions dictate a change
    Calls are limited to 15 minutes
    You will hear a warning message one minute before being disconnected
    Offenders are limited to 120 minutes per month
    All calls, except to the Attorney of Record, are subject to monitoring, recording and voice recognition to complete call
    Calls may only be made to home landline telephone numbers ("Home phone"). No calls are allowed to cell phones, 800 numbers, businesses, pay phones, or international numbers
    Friends and family members listed on the Offender’s Visitor List are required to meet certain validation requirements. These requirements are listed on the Registration page.

Victims Information Page
    If a victim does not wish to receive calls from offenders, they should contact the

VICTIM SERVICES DIVISION
    Austin, Texas 78757
    Tele: 1-800-848-4284
    I just got a letter today from my husband,He is at John Middleton Unit in Abilene,Tx and He said that the phones are or sould have been on 8/11 I hope so I just signed up today I wonder how long it takes to now if you can get calls.I cant wait it has been 30 days since I have talk to him and boy I need to talk to him.Does any one have any input on this

Senior Super Moderator

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowgirl View Post
    I just got a letter today from my husband,He is at John Middleton Unit in Abilene,Tx and He said that the phones are or sould have been on 8/11 I hope so I just signed up today I wonder how long it takes to now if you can get calls.I cant wait it has been 30 days since I have talk to him and boy I need to talk to him.Does any one have any input on this
    Look Under The Post Phones In Prison Here under Texas. I came across this by chance Last Night So I Posted It, It Is What I would Call God Sent, I wonder how many people do not know you have to register!

Senior Super Moderator

Exclamation More Info From T.D.C.J.

UPDATED Post 09/16/2012 old version had limited minutes per month

Offender Telephone System

The Offender Telephone System (OTS) allows eligible offenders to make paid telephone calls to friends and family listed on the offender's Visitor List. Offenders with major disciplinary problems, gang affiliations, or on death row will not have access to the telephone system.

Information or registration:

Before you can receive calls from a TDCJ offender, you must first register your telephone number:

Internet: www.texasprisonphone.com
    Note: You will need the offender's TDCJ ID Number to register to receive phone calls from him or her. If you do not know their number you can find it through the online offender search at http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/offender...ion/index.html or by phone at (936) 295-6371 or (800) 535-0283. The phones are answered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.

Telephone: (866) 806-7804

Telephone calls can be placed in the following manner:

Collect calls - charges are accepted when the offender calls.

Friends and Family Prepaid - the telephone number owner establishes an account in which to deposit money to pay for the offender's calls.

Offender Telephone Prepaid Debit Account - the offender or family can deposit money into the offender's account.

Phones are available from 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m., unless conditions dictate a change.
    Calls are limited to 20 minutes.
    You will hear a warning message one minute before being disconnected.
    Offenders have unlimited minutes per month.
    All calls, except to the Attorney of Record, are subject to monitoring and recording.
    Calls may only be made to home land line telephone numbers. No calls are allowed to cell phones, internet services, 800 numbers, businesses, pay phones, or international numbers.
    To receive calls, the telephone number owner must be listed on the offender's Visitors List. Additionally, the name on the Visitors List must match the name on registrant's driver's license or state identification card. Additionally, this information must also be reflected on their telephone listing or bill.

To register you will be required to confirm that you:

Are the registered owner of the telephone number.
    Are not registering a wireless number.
    Agree to allow the offender to call the phone number.
    Agree to accept financial responsibility for collect calls.
    Are at least 18 years old.
    Will not forward calls or make 3-way calls received from the offender.

If a victim does not wish to receive calls from offenders, they should contact:

Victim Services Division
    Austin, TX 78757
    Telephone: (800) 848-4284

E-messaging Service
    E-messaging allows friends and families to send electronic messages to offenders. To learn more about the service and to set up an account, click the following link: E-messaging.

Complaints about the vendor service for the Offender Telephone System or E-Messaging Service should be forwarded in writing to:

Texas Department of Criminal Justice
    Information Technology Division
    Offender Telephone System Contract Manager
    P.O. Box 4016
    Huntsville, TX 77342-4016
    email: offenderphones@tdcj.state.tx.us
    Last edited by TexasDust; 09-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.

yes, u do hav to register and once u do he can begin to call. the calls will come from an 866 number so its not a bill collecter if you just pick up and wait for the prompt. I have a friend in French Robertson and I have talked to him several times. i lik the fact that they get to make phone call but they r only 15 min, not nearly enough time so make sure u prioritize ur conversations cuz it goes by fast.
    Ms. Mosley

Senior Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up!

With the 866 number

Helps others know it is coming from the Institutions.

Senior Super Moderator

Your Right!

Prioritze your call!

My son gets 20 min. calls and by the time we start to talk about the important things, TheTime Is Up....
    Last edited by TexasDust; 08-15-2009 at 11:09 AM.

I was wondering what would come up on caller ID. Although I do have a bill collector who does call on an 866# I guess I will have to take my chances and pick up!! does the prompt state right away who it is?or does it tell you to hold??

It says it automatically !!
    His wifey til the End !!

I know the website says you will receive a message on your phone once your number has been approved but, in case you missed it, is there any other way to find out if it has?

does anyone happen to know the rates for the 15 min calls??

Quote Originally Posted by ryancm00 View Post
    does anyone happen to know the rates for the 15 min calls??
    I pay $4.18 for a 15 minute call. My bill is between $30 and $40 a month.
    Forever Mine and Eternally Yours

does anyone know wat the rate is for long distance calls??? for the 15 min?
    MISSING MI AMOR

Im totaly having probs w the phone. Ok so I registered using online but got no respones called t billing company and they said they dont hve my paperwork so I called them and did the automated thing last week still aint heard anything. But another question I have is my phone company blocks collect calles but since this is goin throw CBS it should work right?
    Missing him like crazy!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbhanna08 View Post
    Im totaly having probs w the phone. Ok so I registered using online but got no respones called t billing company and they said they dont hve my paperwork so I called them and did the automated thing last week still aint heard anything. But another question I have is my phone company blocks collect calles but since this is goin throw CBS it should work right?
    It's not a collect call so that shouldn't be a problem. I had to check on mine too after I did it online. It is supposed to be set up but my man won't call to save me money. But today my part time job went to full time so he can't use that as an excuse!
    Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

How does it KNOW whether you are registering a cell phone? My cell phone has been working with correctional billing for 2 mo! Do I really have to get a land line installed first?
    Dallasm

I am a college student so my phone number is in another city than my address on my license, but the phone is in my name. Will that be a problem or does the address for the phone have to match the address on my license?

Im still having lots of problems. They are sayin my phone is not coming up w my name and I made sure it was published. they say they cant do anything tll the. Or I have to fill out a paper on her print it and send it and my bill to them. Well that wld be nice if my printer would work or if I had a car togo to the library. And none of my friends have printers or ones that do arnt helping. I hate this my phone has been on since July 5.
    Missing him like crazy!

Default How long

How long til your approved after you register your number? I mean like how long after can someone call you?My cousin just got to garza east about a week ago can he already make calls?

I live in louisiana and my boy is in jail at holliday in huntsville texas if I put money in his account to call me do I need long distance on my phone
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by dottied10 View Post
    I live in louisiana and my boy is in jail at holliday in huntsville texas if I put money in his account to call me do I need long distance on my phone
    Posted via Mobile Device
    no cause the services or prepaid. i verified with correctional billing services
    Posted via Mobile Device

Default TDCJ Phone Registration

I don't live in Texas but my son is in prison there. I have majicjack (to save money) with an 817 area code (to get the in-state rate vs. long distance rate). Will that work? I registered 2 times and still have not received any "confirmation" message. I have funded the Friend and Family account too. I thought that everything was ready and in place but still no calls. Any idea what's up?

how much is each phone call so i know how much money to out on my account?

I have a question concerning a landline phone. I do not own a home phone and want to get a landline phone, but everything now a day is VOIP. Pretty much meaning using the phone through an internet connection. So my question is, What phone service do use? Do anyone know if MagicJack is considered as a landline or the Vonage phone service? I don't want to get a service if I cannot get approved. What would you prefer? Or Who is Phone service provider?
    Be eazy, Keep it Greazy, 2 Dollar bills yo!

Quote Originally Posted by cybercfo600 View Post
    I don't live in Texas but my son is in prison there. I have majicjack (to save money) with an 817 area code (to get the in-state rate vs. long distance rate). Will that work? I registered 2 times and still have not received any "confirmation" message. I have funded the Friend and Family account too. I thought that everything was ready and in place but still no calls. Any idea what's up?
    I was told Magic Jack wasn't acceptable. I don't know why, but that's what I've been told. I have a land line and everything, registered in late December, and they are making me register manually because they say they cannot verify that I "own" the landline.

I hate TDCJ.

We rode it out- He's HOME!

Do you have to set up the funds through JPay?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by AhChac View Post
    I have a question concerning a landline phone. I do not own a home phone and want to get a landline phone, but everything now a day is VOIP. Pretty much meaning using the phone through an internet connection. So my question is, What phone service do use? Do anyone know if MagicJack is considered as a landline or the Vonage phone service? I don't want to get a service if I cannot get approved. What would you prefer? Or Who is Phone service provider?

Your best bet is to go through a local cable provider or phone service in your area (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast Cable, Time Warner Cable,Charter Cable). Any company that offers basic landline phone service. If you have Vonage or MagicJack then it might cause problems when registering your phone service because they do have to verify the name on the account and if they're unable to verify then you can't register and must submit additional documentation (the phone bill bill and copy of your ID) which can take awhile to process. Good luck!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCajun View Post
    Do you have to set up the funds through JPay?
    When you are approved for service then they will tell you what you're approved for. Direct Bill/Prepaid. Direct Bill is when CBS bills you directly and gives you a credit limit. Prepaid is you have to put money on the account through CBS which can be done directly with CBS or Jpay. If you put money in the Offender's Inmate Trust Fund account then they will call any phone that is approved on their Visitor List. It 3 cents cheaper when they're calling using their Inmate Trust Fund Account which is done through jpay. Good luck!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixisrisen View Post
    I was told Magic Jack wasn't acceptable. I don't know why, but that's what I've been told. I have a land line and everything, registered in late December, and they are making me register manually because they say they cannot verify that I "own" the landline.

I hate TDCJ.
    When I had my other landline phone number that happened to me too. Whoever is the original account holder (whoever signed up for service and did the credit check to obtain service) is going to show up on the system they use to verify (which is a database all phone companies report when you open the account). Authorized users on the account do not count as an account holder thus you do not own the landline. Needless to say I went months without being able to register until I had an account in my name.

Oh thank you so much for the 866 number. I was needing it very badly. My husband and I have been talking for 8mths now and all of a sudden he said that it's telling him that my number is restricted. So I was scrambling around the house trying to find that number and thought since I couldn't find it that you guys would probably be my best bet, and you was, yippee!!! Now if only it was during business hours. Anyways thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmccall26 View Post
    Oh thank you so much for the 866 number. I was needing it very badly. My husband and I have been talking for 8mths now and all of a sudden he said that it's telling him that my number is restricted. So I was scrambling around the house trying to find that number and thought since I couldn't find it that you guys would probably be my best bet, and you was, yippee!!! Now if only it was during business hours. Anyways thanks a lot.
    FYI it says that when I forget to pay the phone bill

Question Phone

I have always used me cell phone for calls from my man when he was in johnson county, they moved him to palestine and then to dallas. why do they keep moving him because he hasnt called me yet and Im getting worried! Can anyone help with an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by baby_girl View Post
    I have always used me cell phone for calls from my man when he was in johnson county, they moved him to palestine and then to dallas. why do they keep moving him because he hasnt called me yet and Im getting worried! Can anyone help with an answer?
    Baby_girl, sorry but I have to give you some bad news. Anyone in the TDCJ system may NOT call a cel phone under ANY circumstances. Offenders are only allowed to place calls from a land line phone #. And TDCJ takes great steps to verify that the telephone number that someone is trying to register with the state, is a hard wired, land line telephone.

Not even internet telephone service providers are allowed, like MagicJack, etc.

Have you tried setting up your phone with Embarq Friends & Family Enrollment? They are the folks who run the security checks for TDCJ and are under contract with them. In fact Correctional Billing Services/Securus told me when I was having trouble registering my land line phone that "we do NOT approve ANYTHING until we get the ok from Embarq."

Hope that helps a lil' bit. God Bless!
    "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

what if my house phone is in my husbands name and he is the one doing time. Do I need to change it to my name and I wonder if the phone company would let me.

Quote Originally Posted by franceso View Post
    what if my house phone is in my husbands name and he is the one doing time. Do I need to change it to my name and I wonder if the phone company would let me.
    A very good question Frances! I don't have the answer, but I'd suggest that you call Embarq and discuss that issue with them. They are the one's who approve the telephone lists for inmates.

Their number: 866-806-7804.

Let us know what they say, please.
    "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way."

Default buying phone time

I just wanted an opinion on what is the best way for phone calls. For me to put money on the phone, him buying a phone card or I think the JPAY card or not sure what other way there is. Let me know

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by franceso View Post
    I just wanted an opinion on what is the best way for phone calls. For me to put money on the phone, him buying a phone card or I think the JPAY card or not sure what other way there is. Let me know
    It depends on how you want to budget--pre-paid or direct bill. Personally, I do direct bill and they bill me every month and I tend to pay in full when we have calls before or on the due date. I like direct bill for many reasons--I usually have the money next mouth and it's a good way to budget for me plus it just works.

If you're not hefty with handling that then it's good to do pre-paid. You spend what you can afford and put money upfront in the prepaid accounts and spend them.

It's really up to you. If you do pre-paid you can go through Securus or Jpay. I don't know how JPay works but if you put your account and enter your 3 digit pen then it goes to Securus which automatically sets it up.You pay x amount and you can call up to that amount. Good luck.
    We're together...we're happy...and even though TDCJ is behind us, I still support my jpay friends!

Default Unfair Phone restrictions

It is ridiculous that the Texas DOC does not get caught up with the times. Many people are abandoning hard wired phones because they use cell phones exclusively. I have not had a land line phone in years. This trend is growing exponentially by the general public at large. Eventually land line phones will be extinct.

Bruce..... I totally agree with you on the restriction of receiving calls on a cell phone. TX is in the Dark Ages!! I understand not allowing Cell phones in the prison but I don't get the reasons for not letting us get calls on our phones. Very few of my friends have a land line and I feel like a cave dweller with mine!! But I will do what ever it take to keep the calls from John coming in!!

Then sign this petition to change the phone systems in TDCJ.

Are they allowed to call on weekends in Texas?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by mybrotherskeepers View Post
    Are they allowed to call on weekends in Texas?
    Yes they're allowed to call on the weekends 7am until 10pm.

Thank you.

Red face

can any one help me?

what do i do if i dont have a house phone all i have is a cell phone how can i recieve calls? please someone help me.
    Mrs.Russell

Veteran Member

Default Landlines

If I am correct, you have to have a home phone, a landline. Calls aren't allowed to go to cell phones

QUOTE=Mrs.Russell;191498]can any one help me?

what do i do if i dont have a house phone all i have is a cell phone how can i recieve calls? please someone help me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=texascowgirl1962;191501]If I am correct, you have to have a home phone, a landline. Calls aren't allowed to go to cell phones

Thank you im all new to this so i dont know what i am doing.

Mrs.Russell

Quote Originally Posted by mytexasguy2009 View Post
    I was wondering what would come up on caller ID. Although I do have a bill collector who does call on an 866# I guess I will have to take my chances and pick up!! does the prompt state right away who it is?or does it tell you to hold??
    Bill Collectors can't get money from you through the phone if its indeed them just HANGUP!!!! or put the phone on MUTE when you answer so you will know who it is they can't hear you and will eventualy hang up....oh by the way record the number and that way you will know who is calling.

Does anyone know if the 240 minutes the inmate gets it the whole total for the month or is it 240 per each registered number?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

It is the total minutes allowed for the month and not per person on their list. We divide the minutes with his family so we all get to talk to him once a week. 15 minutes goes by really fast so I try to list what I want to talk about if there are important things to discuss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information