+ Reply to Thread

Default How Much Does It Cost To Get Married In Prison ??

My fiancee and i are planning on getting married in April, and i just want to get a price range of how much I'll be spending for our wedding? And i was wondering what the whole "getting married" process is like? I know every prison does things a little different than others(my fiancee is at Gus Harrison). But i just want to get a general price range and an understanding of the whole process.
    Thanks!

Like you said every prison does things different. Our major cost was the Reverand. The Chaplin at Chippewa Correctional Facility does not do weddings so I had to contact an out side reverand and that costed $350. Then from their you have your dress or outfit his outfit, picture tickets, traveling cost and the marriage licence. I would start the process now have him kite the chaplin at his facility so he can get you the paper work that explains everything. Good Luck and congrats. Also once they say its approved for a certain date call the Facility the day or two before and make sure it is. The chaplin approved our date for March 29 2012 I drove 4 1/2 hours to get their and no one could find the paper work, and of course the chaplin was on vacation. So I had to reschedule my wedding date.

TogetherForever

congratulations on getting married
    my husband and i got married at ojibway on 5/13/2011 we had the same situation like BOUIE'SWIFEY where the chaplain there didnt do wedding so i had to go with one from the outside and i paid $400 for her, then between both of our outfits and rings and the pastor i spend close to $1000.plus i had a 10 hr drive ahead of me so i spend the regular money i would when i would visit him there(between gas and hotel for 3 night and visit money that was another $500)
    it just all depends how far you are, if the chaplain there does weddings or not...when the time comes, have ur fiance talk to the chaplain(which will have to be ur first step)and go from there.theres a fiance packet(as they call it)that he gives out and it has all the instructions in there
    good luck and again congratulations

Congrats...my hunny & I are also getting married in Feb. Or March of 2013.I don't think it's ever to early to start making plans.I have already started making mine.Once again congrats

Thanks everyone for your advice and input..he's already talked to the chaplain and had 1 marriage counseling season. I guess i need to start saving up to get everything paid for. Does anyone know if the mdoc allows people who take the online classes to become ordained to marry inmates??

TogetherForever

Quote Originally Posted by erikasheree View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice and input..he's already talked to the chaplain and had 1 marriage counseling season. I guess i need to start saving up to get everything paid for. Does anyone know if the mdoc allows people who take the online classes to become ordained to marry inmates??
    we ended up using someone the chaplain recommended so i am not sure....but have ur fiance ask the chaplain next time he sees them.i kno they do background checks so i dont see why not, if everything checks out OKAY but...im not 100% sure

Yes I had my girlfriend get ordained on line and they let us marry in Chippewa East back in 2009. Talk to the chaplin at Gus Harrison and find out if he is ok with it. All the prisons are different. Good luck and Congrats to you and yours

Thanks everyone ! I'll have him start looking onto that Monday..

Congrats!!
    Kristen Behn
    Houston, TX

It's actually 2019 but the ticker would only go to 2017.

it only cost me a total of $100.00, $50.00 for the counseling and $50.00 for us getting married.

TogetherForever

Quote Originally Posted by mezzymeister View Post
    it only cost me a total of $100.00, $50.00 for the counseling and $50.00 for us getting married.
    wow thats great

I see that some people didnt spend over like $200(which I'm hoping for) then I see other people saying they spent like $1200(which is way out of my price range!)
    I just hope everything goes how I'm planning it to..

me and my husband got married and we had his uncle do it for free, he is an ordained minister. otherwise the chaplain wanted 350 upfront and i said no way, i like how it was more personal for his uncle to do it. so i just had to pay for gas

Hello there- I just got married a few weeks ago and thought I would share a little about my experience. My husband is at West Shoreline Facility (MTF - Muskegon) and it was a fairly quick and easy process. It took 2 months from when we started talking about it to our wedding day. One good thing to know, no one there told him anything about what was going on or the process. He only knew it was confirmed and the date it was happening bc I told him. I only knew what was going on bc I stayed in good contact with the chaplain.

I had to write a letter to the chaplain and he had to 'kite' the chaplain, who then sent him a packet he had to fill out and return to his counselor. The packet had 2 options listed for a pastor (contact info, and $50 fee). We decided to use one listed, bc they have already been cleared by the facility. Basically - you will need his parents to get you a certified copy of his birth certificate ($13 is what I paid - and you also need to get a certified copy of your own). Then you will take both his and your birth certificate to the County Clerk and file for a marriage license ($30 since I live out of state). Once you file you have to wait 3 business days to go back and pick it up, and the wedding ceremony has to happen within 30 days of the date you filed. His ring has to be less than $75 (you have to give the receipt to the chaplain) and it must be a plain, smooth band with no stones or grooves.

This particular facility only does weddings on Fridays at 12:30 - and you are the middleman getting the date coordinated with the chaplain and the pastor.FYI - the chaplain only works Wed-Fri - and doesn't return phone calls. I spent a lot of time trying to get in contact with him to make sure everything went smoothly and it did. Afterwards, you have to mail 2 copies of your marriage license back to the county clerk to be filed. At that time I also mailed $15 to get a certified copy of the marriage license so that I could proceed with changing my name legally.

So bottom line cost was: $196. Hope this helps!! =)

And the chaplain made sure to remind me this was 'just another day.' You get no special visiting hours, don't wear anything that you wouldn't wear to a normal visit, and the ceremony was a no frills 10 minute transaction. Not ideal, but also realistic since you are dealing with the correctional system.
    Last edited by indykate28; 10-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.

In Chippewa East they allowed it. My husband and I got married 4y ago there and my girlfriend became ordained on line and married us. Congrats and good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by erikasheree View Post

I just got married on the 26th of October and to be totally honest I spent just about 600 which includes the lady to marry us, the license, his birth certificate, his divorce decree, our rings, gas going and coming back, the motel I stayed at, my outfit. I didn't get him an outfit he borrowed one from his friend. Of course Lyon may have some of these things already but that roughly about how much I spent but it was all worth it. His ring was only suppose to cost no more than 75 but I know someone.

We didn't have to do no counseling

Veteran Member

We were able to get his cousin (an ordained chaplain) to marry us. That saved quite a bit of money. We paid $75 for the prison marriage counseling session which really didn't amount to anything other than some time spent with my husband and 3 other couples. Other than that it was just money I chose to spend like on the ring, clothes, pictures and travel expense.

Thanks again everyone!
    I'm hoping to spend around $300 OR LESS!
    So hopefully i can get it done !

We started our process at st louis and was about to set a wedding date when my husband had to ride out...he ended up at lakeland at the end of june and we were familiar with the necessary paperwork and was able to have date set within two weeks and we got married two weeks later...the chaplain only charged fifty dollars when the chaplain at st louis was charging two hundred or so...my chaplain i hired thru lakeland said he know the prisoners family dont have a lot of money so he dont charge a lot...good luck and congrats to you

Thanks you !

Thanks! I'm happy I read this. I was also planning on getting married there but think ill wait. I want this to be a special day for me. I live in indiana so once this is over he can come this way and we can get married.

Quote Originally Posted by indykate28 View Post
    Hello there- I just got married a few weeks ago and thought I would share a little about my experience. My husband is at West Shoreline Facility (MTF - Muskegon) and it was a fairly quick and easy process. It took 2 months from when we started talking about it to our wedding day. One good thing to know, no one there told him anything about what was going on or the process. He only knew it was confirmed and the date it was happening bc I told him. I only knew what was going on bc I stayed in good contact with the chaplain.

I had to write a letter to the chaplain and he had to 'kite' the chaplain, who then sent him a packet he had to fill out and return to his counselor. The packet had 2 options listed for a pastor (contact info, and $50 fee). We decided to use one listed, bc they have already been cleared by the facility. Basically - you will need his parents to get you a certified copy of his birth certificate ($13 is what I paid - and you also need to get a certified copy of your own). Then you will take both his and your birth certificate to the County Clerk and file for a marriage license ($30 since I live out of state). Once you file you have to wait 3 business days to go back and pick it up, and the wedding ceremony has to happen within 30 days of the date you filed. His ring has to be less than $75 (you have to give the receipt to the chaplain) and it must be a plain, smooth band with no stones or grooves.

This particular facility only does weddings on Fridays at 12:30 - and you are the middleman getting the date coordinated with the chaplain and the pastor.FYI - the chaplain only works Wed-Fri - and doesn't return phone calls. I spent a lot of time trying to get in contact with him to make sure everything went smoothly and it did. Afterwards, you have to mail 2 copies of your marriage license back to the county clerk to be filed. At that time I also mailed $15 to get a certified copy of the marriage license so that I could proceed with changing my name legally.

So bottom line cost was: $196. Hope this helps!! =)

And the chaplain made sure to remind me this was 'just another day.' You get no special visiting hours, don't wear anything that you wouldn't wear to a normal visit, and the ceremony was a no frills 10 minute transaction. Not ideal, but also realistic since you are dealing with the correctional system.
    Thanks! I'm happy I read this. I was also planning on getting married there but think ill wait. I want this to be a special day for me. I live in indiana so once this is over he can come this way and we can get married.

Veteran Member

We were just given permission to marry on the 4th of feb. WOOHOO! It will cost $20.00 for the license, $100.00 for my minister,our clothes was about $75.00 as i got them all at awesome sale prices. The photos have to be fromthem @ $2.50 a pic. No classes or fees there. Cost of a stamp to ask permission to marry him. Our rings cost $100.00 and I think that's it. I'm gonna have my brother make me a tiarra with flowers as he's a floral designer. Hope that helps. TC&GB

Smile What are you doing for your wedding?

Hi there,

I just wanted to get the word out to anyone still reading and posting to this thread that we are currently working on a new documentary aiming to look at the process of planning a wedding in a prison. Please do read the info below and email me if you do want to find out anymore.

Best wishes for your big day,
    Rachel

We are a UK-based film company who are making a TV show about people who are serious about making the ultimate commitment to their incarcerated loved one, by marrying them whilst they are in prison.
    We understand that everyone in this situation has a different story to tell. We as a company are well known for our distinct and sensitive approach to film making, and we would love to hear your story.
    If you are interested or would just like to know a bit more, please send me an email: rachel.cumella@centuryfilmsltd.com. Please let me know a few details about your upcoming wedding and if possible, a contact number for yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information