+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prison Weddings

Default Prison Weddings

Hi my name is Jalie and I have a few questions about prison weddings that I need answered. Me and my fiance planned on getting married when he goes to prison, but we are both clueless about how they work or how to even set them up. I was looking for information about what you would wear, how to get permission, and what they are like in general. Please Reply if you know anything that could help me and my fiance we would very much appreciate it

first u have to contact the chaplain of the prison and get a marriage application..we just did all this..i personally talkd to the chaplain myself and had a list of questions he answerd everything and got me started now we have a date :-) that is what i suggest u do

Thank you I will definitely do that. We just got to wait for all his court stuff to go through and for him to be sent off. Then to see what prison he goes too. Now did the chaplain explain like what to wear and how much money you could spend on a ring for him?

Veteran Member

I don't know anything about the rules in Michigan but The U.S. Supreme Court, in Turner v. Safley, No. 85-1384. 4872 U.S. 78 (1987) ruled that prisoners have a right, under the U.S. Constitution, to marry. However, depending on where you are they can place various obstacles in the way making it a bit difficult. In Louisiana it has not been a difficult process so far. The first thing my fiance did was to request a "marriage packet". I had to fill out a form and so did he. We then have to complete a class for the chaplain at which time the chaplain submits a report to the warden that we have completed the class. The warden then gives his approval which is probably just a formality because it is the inmate's right to marry. They gave us a date of October 18th pending warden approval. I have to go get the Louisiana marriage license and in order to do so I need his social security number (not card) and a certified birth certificate, We can have 6 guests plus our own priest. We can exchange wedding bands (not set dollar amount - we just have gold bands). And that's it! If you have any more questions just PM me and I can tell you at least how it is in Louisiana.

yes he did..his ring cant be more than $ 100 and i have to bring receipt for his property as far as what i wear im just wearing casual and matching his colors lol

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaSizemore View Post
    Thanks KatrinaSizemore

I followed the link and this is what was there

How do I marry a prisoner?

Marriage within the prison facilities is allowed. You must first write a letter to the Chaplain at the Correctional Facility where the prisoner is housed indicating that you want to marry Prisoner (prisoner's name), MDOC # (prisoner's number).

The prisoner must also write a "kite" to the Chaplain at the correctional facility asking for all the details/information on prisoner marriages. The Chaplain should respond to the prisoner within a week. If he/she does not, the prisoner should re-kite the Chaplain.

A marriage license must be obtained at the court house in YOUR county of residence. You must provide at the time of the marriage your birth certificate and any divorce papers for you and the prisoner if either of you have been married before. (This is just to confirm that neither is currently married).

Once you have all the information from the Chaplain, you must give a 45-day notice for the actual marriage date to take place.

The prisoner's ring cannot be more than $50 and must be a plain band - no diamonds.

For more information, please contact the Chaplain at the facility where the prisoner is currently housed.

Thanks guys for the help all these things are extremely useful. I cant wait till we can get married its going to be great. But still being curious I have searched so much stuff online. will they let me be wedded in the evening? or even outside? I mean its been a dream of mine to at least be wedded in the evening. Any information would be great if anybody has anything you'd love to share on this please share any information is better then nothing thanks for everything so far

Veteran Member

Congrats on your engagement!

Unfortunately, we are subject to the rules of the prison. I have heard that most take place during visitation hours, but that may vary from state to state.
    ~~Lex~~

"Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns"

"The sun is somewhere shining even when it rains..."

they give u a date and time..during the day and i can tell u they wont allow it outside..its the DOC the like to shatter our dreams :-[

yeah I can see that but I guess just being with this person forever would make my dreams come true and thank you all
    ~iluvkieffer~

TogetherForever

my husband and i got married a lil over a year ago in michigan we had our wedding on a friday in the morning in the visiting room but before the actual visits started...nobody was there but us, the pastor, our witnesses couple guards(some who were actually there to guard and some who were just being nosy)
    my husband was a witness today for another inmate...at a different facility than where we got married but it was also in the morning
    u can request a day but the time they give it to u more than likely itll be in the morning
    my husband and i are renewing our vows once he comes home and we will have everything the way we wanted it in the first place
    congratulations and feel free to PM if u have any more questions...im fairly fresh with the process and in the same state as you

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jpay
    AS THE FIGHT GETS HARDER, I GET TOUGHER!!!!

Thank you so very much I will definitely come to you for information especially since you are from my state I think you would know the rules a tad bit better. TogetherForever how do you send friend request? Id like to know everything you know about this. Like what to wear, what to expect, how to plan it, activities, and everything...I will message you. And DonsGirl thanks
    ~iluvkieffer~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information