Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pen Pal Bi-Monthly Drawing? Should we?

Ok ya'll, this has been very heavy on my heart for several weeks now. It's the pen pal situation on this site. I think the majority of us currently have a steady person we write who's incarcerated and, speaking for myself, this takes up a large portion of my free time during the week. I enjoy the letters from my friend very much and he's so special. But I can't help but notice the threads coming through here pleading for someone to write an inmate who gets absolutely no mail whatsoever. I can't shake the feeling that all of us can make such a difference in someone's life - even if only for a day. So, here's my proposal and let me know if any of you would consider this or if it's just a bad idea.

I was thinking of keeping a log of pen pal pleas that come through this site - the ones that are not getting a response or very minimal. Then, pick a random inmate, maybe every other Monday, post his information and we can slam dunk this inmate with a small bombardment of either a card or short letter of encouragement, or maybe some funny printouts. This would not be an obligation to start a pen pal relationship however you could. I wrote an inmate off this site last week and told him I could not be his pen pal but could brighten his day. I received a letter from him today saying he totally understood I already wrote another inmate and he was fine with it but he was so happy I took the time. I'm convinced we can make a difference and brighten someone's day as I know, in my heart, if my friend never got any mail I would feel so blessed if someone out in this big, wonderful world of ours took a moment out of their day to make it a brighter one.

Ok, was this a totally bozohead idea or should we give it a try?

Veteran Member

I think this is a great idea!! We do have the power to brighten someone's day, for sure!! I think about all of the inmates who don't get mail or can't call home and it makes me sad too. Look at the great response we got from Kendra's post--we can do this!!
    ~~Lex~~

"Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns"

"The sun is somewhere shining even when it rains..."

Veteran Member

I am mad that I didn't see this earlier!! Sometimes I go to "look what's new" and nothing pops up...which I know can't be true!! But anyways....I think it's a great idea!!! It weighs heavy on my heart as well that some people don't get mail or minimal as well!! My guy has a few friends like that and he has asked me to search for their families but I have had no luck!!! It really does break my heart that they are alone in there and then have NO support on the outside!!! It has to be a horrible feeling!!! But I do think it is a great idea!!! I'm going to tell Davi that I'm going to do this....I know he doesn't want me to have a pen-pal..which I understand....but this isn't being committed to someone!! Right? lol Great idea though Diana!!!

You are correct. This is nothing more than making an inmate smile for a day. Giving him a week of glory like that other inmate (poster boy) received.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala'sQueen View Post
    I am mad that I didn't see this earlier!! Sometimes I go to "look what's new" and nothing pops up...which I know can't be true!! But anyways....I think it's a great idea!!! It weighs heavy on my heart as well that some people don't get mail or minimal as well!! My guy has a few friends like that and he has asked me to search for their families but I have had no luck!!! It really does break my heart that they are alone in there and then have NO support on the outside!!! It has to be a horrible feeling!!! But I do think it is a great idea!!! I'm going to tell Davi that I'm going to do this....I know he doesn't want me to have a pen-pal..which I understand....but this isn't being committed to someone!! Right? lol Great idea though Diana!!!

I guess I could have a pen pal now, lol what was the 'posters' name again?! haha but I would participate with this as well.

Veteran Member

LOL....seeing "poster" makes me crack up every time!!!

Veteran Member

I love the nickname. I mighta kinda sorta told him that was his new nickname lol. I would so participate in this!

I'm glad the responses are positive. I've been going back through the forum and typing names to print out so it will literally be random to keep it totally fair.

Quote Originally Posted by kstorey614 View Post
    I love the nickname. I mighta kinda sorta told him that was his new nickname lol. I would so participate in this!
    Kinda sorta! haha! nice! were his ears burning?

I like this idea as well and would love to participate!

Veteran Member

Really? LOL That is too funny!!!

What a great idea! I'm in

Veteran Member

Well my thoughts are....Yes most of us have husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends etc,etc,. It's not easy being a pen pal. I know because this is how my fiance and I started out. We were pen pals. He wanted a proxy relationship and I was strongly against it but as time went by I decided to commit to him. So unless we the ladies have a strong committed relationship I suggest not to do it but the choice and decision will always be up to the person who chooses to go that route. Goodluck!

Veteran Member

This is a wonderful Idea. We do all have our "regular" mail to write but I agree that everybody needs somebody. Count me in
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana777 View Post
    Ok ya'll, this has been very heavy on my heart for several weeks now. It's the pen pal situation on this site. I think the majority of us currently have a steady person we write who's incarcerated and, speaking for myself, this takes up a large portion of my free time during the week. I enjoy the letters from my friend very much and he's so special. But I can't help but notice the threads coming through here pleading for someone to write an inmate who gets absolutely no mail whatsoever. I can't shake the feeling that all of us can make such a difference in someone's life - even if only for a day. So, here's my proposal and let me know if any of you would consider this or if it's just a bad idea.

I was thinking of keeping a log of pen pal pleas that come through this site - the ones that are not getting a response or very minimal. Then, pick a random inmate, maybe every other Monday, post his information and we can slam dunk this inmate with a small bombardment of either a card or short letter of encouragement, or maybe some funny printouts. This would not be an obligation to start a pen pal relationship however you could. I wrote an inmate off this site last week and told him I could not be his pen pal but could brighten his day. I received a letter from him today saying he totally understood I already wrote another inmate and he was fine with it but he was so happy I took the time. I'm convinced we can make a difference and brighten someone's day as I know, in my heart, if my friend never got any mail I would feel so blessed if someone out in this big, wonderful world of ours took a moment out of their day to make it a brighter one.

Ok, was this a totally bozohead idea or should we give it a try?
    AS THE FIGHT GETS HARDER, I GET TOUGHER!!!!

Veteran Member

Count me in..it never hurt anyone to share a smile and just pass along a simple greeting! I know my man would find fault with this (twist it) but I see no harm in it.

Super Moderator

Great idea Diana!! I think everybody deserves to get mail and have somebody care about them - it is definitely heartbreaking! It was amazing to me that there were so many views (well over 4k WOW) on my thread - and I know that stephen got a ton of mail - he was def. excited. I'm sure Kristen knows all about it since she got a several page letter heeeheee!

hahahahahaha KRISTEN....you told him that was his new nickname.....baaahaaaaa! ROFLMAO Love it!
    Mrs. Hernandez

My Husband is Finally Home 3/5/13 amor de mi vida <3

Super Moderator

there is no way that you were on here looking for the "what's new" because I happen to know you are in no way nosey...you do not like to know about anybody! hahaha I'm j/k - you always put a smile on my face and make me laugh LOL
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

LOL...Girl that's funny!! I am definitely nosy and admit it!!! lol An idle mind is the devils workshop girl so I'm always trying to keep my mind busy!!! I lead a boring lifestyle so it is what it is!! lol Wish we all lived a little closer....I could use a few drinks and a girls night out!!! lol I would really be making you laugh then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by khernandez View Post
    there is no way that you were on here looking for the "what's new" because I happen to know you are in no way nosey...you do not like to know about anybody! hahaha I'm j/k - you always put a smile on my face and make me laugh LOL

Super Moderator

LOL...Girl that's funny!! I am definitely nosy and admit it!!! lol An idle mind is the devils workshop girl so I'm always trying to keep my mind busy!!! I lead a boring lifestyle so it is what it is!! lol Wish we all lived a little closer....I could use a few drinks and a girls night out!!! lol I would really be making you laugh then!!!
    hahahaha well at least you admit it! (I admit it too lol) I know exactly what you mean about a boring lifestyle - I know mine is! I wish we did too....that would be a great idea to all go out for a girls night!! Oh and p.s. I LOVE TO LAUGH LOL
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

We got a giggler....lol I'm going to start charging you for laughs!! lol

hahahaha well at least you admit it! (I admit it too lol) I know exactly what you mean about a boring lifestyle - I know mine is! I wish we did too....that would be a great idea to all go out for a girls night!! Oh and p.s. I LOVE TO LAUGH LOL

Super Moderator

We got a giggler....lol I'm going to start charging you for laughs!! lol
    hahaha charge away! (just make sure it's not real expensive LOL)
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

lol..too funny

hahaha charge away! (just make sure it's not real expensive LOL)

Veteran Member

Great idea Diana!! I think everybody deserves to get mail and have somebody care about them - it is definitely heartbreaking! It was amazing to me that there were so many views (well over 4k WOW) on my thread - and I know that stephen got a ton of mail - he was def. excited. I'm sure Kristen knows all about it since she got a several page letter heeeheee!

hahahahahaha KRISTEN....you told him that was his new nickname.....baaahaaaaa! ROFLMAO Love it!
    I loved my letter! I can't believe a man could be so open right off the bad. I swear I know everything from his favorite color to his favorite band. And it was really nice to see him take responsibility for his actions. And I learned that Texas is the "Armpit of Hell lol" that had me laughing.

Oh and can anyone tell me what w/b/s means?

Super Moderator

I loved my letter! I can't believe a man could be so open right off the bad. I swear I know everything from his favorite color to his favorite band. And it was really nice to see him take responsibility for his actions. And I learned that Texas is the "Armpit of Hell lol" that had me laughing.

I love that he wrote you back so quick! My husband said he is a really nice guy. hahahaha he said Texas is the Armpit of Hell? hahaha I think only when you are incarcerated LOL Oh and it means write back soon
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

I think w/b/s means write back sooon

Write Back Soon

I

Veteran Member

OMG that makes perfect sense!!!!! Well we were talking about how hot it was in Texas and of course he was like "it snows all the time in Ohio right?" and he said somedays its horrible unless you have AC. I told him all I know is you guys have a lot of tumble weed and cowboy shoot outs lol. He will probably get a kick out of that.

Veteran Member

Write Back Soon
    Gee am I the only one not hip to w/b/s????? It must be a Texas thing lol

Super Moderator

OMG that makes perfect sense!!!!! Well we were talking about how hot it was in Texas and of course he was like "it snows all the time in Ohio right?" and he said somedays its horrible unless you have AC. I told him all I know is you guys have a lot of tumble weed and cowboy shoot outs lol. He will probably get a kick out of that.
    true story - texas is like a freakin' oven LOL baaaaahaaaa tumbleweeds and shoot-outs LOL And w/b/s....it very well could be a texas thing, but I'm not sure on that heehee
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

I like the idea but one thing tho yes I know it sucks these guys are not getting any mail and from what I see on the jpay we all have big hearts by the things we post and give each other support when we dont even know each other just have one thing in common but what about our safety im kinda ify to give my address to someone for doing time for who knows what and i know not all may have done the crime but we still need to have our guard up other then that im down with you ladies.
    Last edited by cc_ortiz; 07-19-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc_ortiz View Post
    I like the idea but one thing tho yes I know it sucks these guys are not getting any mail and from what I see on the jpay we all have big hearts by the things we post and give each other support when we dont even know each other just have one thing in common but what about our safety im kinda ify to give my address to someone for doing time for who knows what and i know not all may have done the crime but we still need to have our guard up other then that im down with you ladies.
    Well if you are not looking to have a pen pal but would like to send words of encouragement, then just send him a jpay. The only reason you would have to give your address is if you wanted to continue writing back and forth since some of them don't have the ability to write back via jpay

I believe Jpay only says the name of the person sending it so you could be anywhere in the world. Some states don't have Jpay and I'll have it noted if the inmate's in a state that has mandatory return addresses required. In Texas, return addresses are not required on incoming mail.

Veteran Member

No it isn't just a Texas thing!! My friends and I used to use it all the time on our notes back and forth to each other in school and my friend from the Dominican Republic does it still today!! LOL HEY DIANA....Someone had posted an inmate needing a pen pal yesterday and I looked the guy up and found NO information on his crime!!! Another gal looked as well and nothing!!??

Veteran Member

I believe Jpay only says the name of the person sending it so you could be anywhere in the world. Some states don't have Jpay and I'll have it noted if the inmate's in a state that has mandatory return addresses required. In Texas, return addresses are not required on incoming mail.
    Ok (in alvin's chipmunk voice)lol in that case ill do it we should call ourselves Diana777 Angels
    Last edited by cc_ortiz; 07-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I just verified with Jpay that when you email an inmate through Jpay services, the only information that shows is your name. Some states have kiosks for the inmates to email you back but the only information accessible is your email address. I don't feel any safety concerns about that. For states that have no Jpay access, I don't think the inmate whose name is drawn should be forfeited just because of that. I know some of us, like myself, have a PO Box and I would feel comfortable going snail mail as well. But, each person should do what they feel in their heart is right for them. I'll start the first drawing this Sunday and it will literally be randomly drawn so each inmate has a fair chance. I want everyone to know that I'm feeling very happy about this and I'm really proud of the group of people we have on this forum.

Lol! You nut!

Ok (in alvin's chipmunk voice)lol in that case ill do we should call ourselves Diana777 Angels

Super Moderator

No it isn't just a Texas thing!! My friends and I used to use it all the time on our notes back and forth to each other in school and my friend from the Dominican Republic does it still today!! LOL HEY DIANA....Someone had posted an inmate needing a pen pal yesterday and I looked the guy up and found NO information on his crime!!! Another gal looked as well and nothing!!??
    did you look that up my dear friend? baaahaaa I LOVE messing with you about that! haha yep we found NO information!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

did you look that up my dear friend? baaahaaa I LOVE messing with you about that! haha yep we found NO information!
    Girl I looked up your friend, her friend and everybody elses friend!!! If you post someone on here I'm looking them up!! LOL

Super Moderator

Girl I looked up your friend, her friend and everybody elses friend!!! If you post someone on here I'm looking them up!! LOL
    TRUE STORY!!

All newbies: my dear friend is telling the truth, if you post it, she will look it up! hahahahahaha
    Mrs. Hernandez

Super Moderator

I just verified with Jpay that when you email an inmate through Jpay services, the only information that shows is your name. Some states have kiosks for the inmates to email you back but the only information accessible is your email address. I don't feel any safety concerns about that. For states that have no Jpay access, I don't think the inmate whose name is drawn should be forfeited just because of that. I know some of us, like myself, have a PO Box and I would feel comfortable going snail mail as well. But, each person should do what they feel in their heart is right for them. I'll start the first drawing this Sunday and it will literally be randomly drawn so each inmate has a fair chance. I want everyone to know that I'm feeling very happy about this and I'm really proud of the group of people we have on this forum.
    sounds great!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Well, I know it's normal to satisfy our curiosity (I'm guilty) but I hope whatever the crime the inmate did will not be a deciding factor if you brighten his day or not. We can't know the circumstances that led up to the choices they made and I have a feeling it'd make half of us cry if we did. I'm not going in to it with the mentality that any one of the inmates is undeserving because this might be the first nice gesture they can recall.

HEY DIANA....Someone had posted an inmate needing a pen pal yesterday and I looked the guy up and found NO information on his crime!!! Another gal looked as well and nothing!!??

Veteran Member

so who's the lucky guy we are going to writing to 1st?? is this going to be once a week or once a month thing??

Veteran Member

Who posted about another inmate??? My stupid job has kept me busy and gotten me behind on my researching!

So how in the world am I the only one that has not heard of this saying? I must not be cool!

Veteran Member

I just want to know who I'm dealing with or should I say...who I'm being nice to!!! I am going to be guilty as to the crime thing!! There are crimes that happened to me and I can't bring myself to send "nice" gestures to a man that has done the same crime!! I'm a pretty easy going person and normally don't judge but that's something personal with me!! I don't know what happened in their life that led up to the crime nor do I care on this particular crime that still seems so fresh in my mind!! Sorry if this offends anyone but that is my opinion and how I feel about it!! Anybody else.....I'm willing to brighten their day!!! Not a problem!!

Veteran Member

Who posted about another inmate??? My stupid job has kept me busy and gotten me behind on my researching!

So how in the world am I the only one that has not heard of this saying? I must not be cool!
    LOL...Your nosy too??? LOL Come on kstorey...you gotta stay hip with the lingo!! LOL j/k It's alright though....I have to ask the kids in the neighborhood what things mean because most of it doesn't make sense to me!!! lol

Super Moderator

hahahaha! You already have the poster and now you wanna hog another one??? j/k with you crazy girl! baaaahaaa

I just want to know who I'm dealing with or should I say...who I'm being nice to!!! I am going to be guilty as to the crime thing!! There are crimes that happened to me and I can't bring myself to send "nice" gestures to a man that has done the same crime!! I'm a pretty easy going person and normally don't judge but that's something personal with me!! I don't know what happened in their life that led up to the crime nor do I care on this particular crime that still seems so fresh in my mind!! Sorry if this offends anyone but that is my opinion and how I feel about it!! Anybody else.....I'm willing to brighten their day!!! Not a problem!!
    well said, my thoughts exactly.
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

I would love to be a part of this, but I need to check with Smoov first. If I were to do it, it will be strictly JPays of positivity!! I think this is a great ministry and could help a lot of inmates out~~and I have to agree with Diana, I am proud of the group of ladies we have here!!
    ~~Lex~~

"Faith includes noticing the mess, the emptiness and discomfort, and letting it be there until some light returns"

"The sun is somewhere shining even when it rains..."

Veteran Member

[QUOTE=khernandez;300517]hahahaha! You already have the poster and now you wanna hog another one??? j/k with you crazy girl! baaaahaaa QUOTE]

Oh now the poster is mine??? Boy do I feel special! I guess I'll go to the back of the line and wait for seconds lol. But I might jump in if an Ohio one pops up!

Super Moderator

[QUOTE=kstorey614;300525]
    hahahaha! You already have the poster and now you wanna hog another one??? j/k with you crazy girl! baaaahaaa QUOTE]

Oh now the poster is mine??? Boy do I feel special! I guess I'll go to the back of the line and wait for seconds lol. But I might jump in if an Ohio one pops up!
    baaaaahaaaa! crazy special girl! lol Oh no, stay at the front of the line and pick the best ones.....oh an Ohio one would be great for you!
    Mrs. Hernandez

Veteran Member

Nooo...I want an Ohio one!!! We'll be fighting girl!!! LOL...j/k You can have all you want!!! I have my "Ohio" man!!! My one and only man!!! LOL I need to stop with all these nicknames!! I'm glad you guys only caught on to the "poster" lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information