+ Reply to Thread

Default Informing Family Members of Emergency Medical Treatment or Hospitilization of Inmates

Concerned Sister of Inmate, My brother was recently attacked on the yard by another inmate and was stabbed a result from the incident and was placed as a victim in the report because he was unarmed and after his hospital release he was placed in the hole for about a week, and at commitee was informed another incident would mean transfer from the institution. The family was NEVER informed of this incident or near death experience, until he wrote us.
    Last edited by pirucius; 03-12-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: delete

Veteran Member

Im so sorry to hear about all of this but let me tell you to stay on that phone. call the prison.. call the warden.. the chaplin.. and keep calling until you get some answers.. dont wait for them to call you . ( they wont) What State are you in? I can try to find someone to call. You deserve answers!! I'll help you if I can.
    Together we can accomplish anything

And by that I mean GOD...

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Call the Director of the prison facilities of the state if the warden never contacted you.

For his protection they should move him now and maybe keep him in protected custody in the new facility. One time a person was messed up bad at a prison in COLORADO it was reported he died on the news and in the papers all the gory details to what happened yet later on years later I seen him with my own eyes and found out later that they did it to protect him now they won't tell the family lies over that so CALL THE DIRECTOR OF THE PRISON FACILITIES TELL THEM YOU WANT AN ANSWER TO YOUR BROTHERS CONDITION!

Veteran Member

Wow. I am so sorry your family is having to go through this after so many other losses. I can't even imagine the pain and fear this has caused emotionally for you. I would raise hell until I found out what was going on. Call EVERYDAY, multiple times a day. Also, if you still are not satisfied with the information you get, call the Obudsmans (spelling??) in your area, they may be able to get information for you as well. Don't give up till you get the information you seek. My heart and prayers go out to you.

I agree with lovin, texas,and texas. Go to the top untell you get an awncer! call, call, call! My prays are with you and your family. Please come back and lets us know how you, and yours, are doing.If I can help I will. God bless you and give you strength to stand stong.
    Last edited by cherann; 01-07-2010 at 06:44 PM.

here in mo,family has no rights.
    they r 'children of the state

Veteran Member

I am so very sorry this has happened..I know first hand they don't notify the family..My son was transported to a hospital and they never contacted me..My son gave his pin number to a inmate and my number and he called me...As Texas Dust says call and speak to the warden call every day if you have to til you get the answers you seek..And yes it would be wise for him to be transfered to another facility for his safety...Praying all works out for your family
    Have a Blessed Day

mamalion
    :

Sorry but I am new to all of this in Michigan. If the inmate is hurt and has to go to the hospital, or gets sick and goes to the hospital the family is not notified? Is it the same in all states? Are some better than others?
    Wow! How awful!
    Pirucius I hope your brother is better now.

All inmates have an emergency contact list. Find out who is on the list. And, ill give you different advice. Voice your concerns in writing. Calling does not do much. They can say they never recieved a call. but if you put it in writing there is a paper trail. I used to write and keep copies. Send the letter with delivery confirmation. print out your result.you write the warden, director of security, director of prisons, mayor and governor. All at the same time. Contact a newspaper or tv station if you must. Everyone hates bad publicity.

Veteran Member

I'm sorry 2 hear that! Like they all said keep calling and writing until you get some answers, i wish you luck...

In Georgia the prison will not notify you if they are taken to the hospital due to security reasons. My husband had a heart attack, was technically dead but revived, and then transported to the hospital where he underwent surgery and had stents implanted. At no time did the prison call me. If not for his cellmate, I would have never known. When I contacted the warden, she refused to give me any info on his condition at all. The only thing she was concerned with was who called and told me my husband was in the hospital. I had to contact a congressman to get a one hour visit with my huband in the hospital. I was surrounded by guards and treated like a criminal and he was shackled hand and foot to the bed after heart surgery, but it was worth it to find out he was even alive. The prison system is so CRUEL.

so sorry to hear about your brother hope he is okay, my brother was attacked by three inmates who tried to take his stuff and he was hit in the jaw i take the other inmate had something in his hand well he broke my brothers jaw in 3 places this happened on a weekend and on monday he was taken to a hospital were he layed for 3 days they had to put screws in his jaw and wire his mouth shut no one called me either and i cant get any info as well i sit and wonder he is in prison the food must suck but how is he eating in this condition,every time i think about him in that condition it makes me sick and i cry

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information