+ Reply to Thread

Default Collect calls & Jpay question

this morning I received an automated call stating it was a call from an inmate, it didn't state who the inmate is but wanted money. I do have a family member in Jail in Texas. How does this work? Thanks!

Veteran Member

Collect calls always say who is calling and states the facility it came from..How did it ask for money did you speak with a person??? If it was automated they do not ask for money other than to press a certain number to accept charges in my case the number is 0 then i am connected to who ever is calling...Hope this helps
    Have a Blessed Day

mamalion
    :

So what I am getting from reading these forums its best to pre-pay to avoid charges from phone compaines when the person calls you collect? So I would have to do this on my end to keep my bill from being outrageous from collect calls? Although he is only 30mins away from me right now. Its still considered long distance I think. I can make calls without using the area code on my phone and it doesn't seem to matter. I just have all kinds of random questions in my head.

Veteran Member

Yes if you prey pay it is so much cheaper where i am in Michigan by pre paying i can talk for 15 minutes for 1.90 and that is no connection fees straight 1.90 opposed to connectioin fees and out rages rates the other way..So girl go pre pay save some money..Feel free to ask away that's what we are here for to help one another..Have a blessed week end
    Have a Blessed Day

mamalion
    :

Ok should I contact my phone company or give him another number to call? Or is it better to do it through my cellphone. Because I already have enough bills and to try to get a pre-paid phone at this point is like umm a no-go. So I could call my phone company to get pre-paid. Is there a number I could call to do that? I been seeing this inmate soultions type deal to where I can pre-pay phone service. But being that he is closer to me and I can visit him, is it worth going through that? He is like 30 mins away from me right now in Westville.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalion View Post
    Yes if you prey pay it is so much cheaper where i am in Michigan by pre paying i can talk for 15 minutes for 1.90 and that is no connection fees straight 1.90 opposed to connectioin fees and out rages rates the other way..So girl go pre pay save some money..Feel free to ask away that's what we are here for to help one another..Have a blessed week end

Wow I am paying $ 7.90 right now for a 20 min call and its gonna put me in the poor house lol. I am out of state from where he is so im sure that has alot to do with it. I go through correctional billing services and i also pre-pay

Hi im in bonney lake wa my best brother is in teachapi calif correction institution i just wish he could call me it almost christmass

Are you on your person's visiting list? Has your person asked you if he can call you? Have you given him your landline, not cell phone, number? Have you registered with Embarq? As the other poster said, in TX, you are asked to accept the call by punching the number 1, punching 2 if you do not want to accept. Also, the inmate will say his name, which is pre-recorded, so you know ho's calling. Any of this happening?

What I staed before was for the prison system (TDCJ), not the jail systems. Prisons and jails are vastly different.

In pa if your callin from a county jail no they dnt have to say there name they can say anything.... If there calling fron a prison there name is prerecorded and its always going to be like that. They have to say there name... Or the jail wont allow them to call.... And what i do is send him jpay so he can get a calling card its cheaper that way. If he calls me collect its 5.30 a call! Thats alot and where still in the same state just a couple hours away...

my daughter has just been transfered to lew sterret in dallas. can she make calls to cell phones as well as land phones and what do I do to pay for these calls the cheapest way possible. thanks

wats the number to get collect calls from wasco state prison california??

Default Ahhhhh!

My boyfriend is in jail in California and I am in NH. When he calls my verizon cell phone it gives me an option to load money onto a prepay account from Global Tel Link. It costs me $20-$25 a call!!! Our calls are between 10 to 15 min. I dont know what to do but I cant keep doing that. Plus I know they are also charges me more fees with that, and I dont even wanna know how much those are! I was thinking of getting a landline?? Anyone know if that is cheaper for out of state collect calls? Or if it is even possible to receive out of state collect calls? My boyfriend tols me before that they hafta be local, but I have also heard otherwise. Please help! I cant stand not being able to talk to him!
    ~Cara

1-800-483-8314 is for Global Tel Link. That is the #the automated message gave me when my guy tried calling me from jail. But it is expensive! Not sure if there is another option tho...

hello , my son is in irc right now, so i know what you going thru.. Any way try a site called conscallhome.. See if that way might be cheaper for you. The site will explain how it works.. Good luck....from sherrie ps. Come to my group page anytime.. Moms4jailedchildren here on jpay

change your cell number to a local number where hes at. Base it out of the same town where the prison is.....then send him money to get phone cards!!! It only cost us 1.65 a call when we did it that way!!!

I'm in South Africa. Does anybody know if international calls can be made from . I have two friends in correctional facilities that I would like to speak to. The "dingy" that delivers the mail accross the ocean takes far too long. 9-18 days.

It does not work like that. The only way you should have gotten that call from a prison if you had registered your phone number. The inmate cannot register for you. There are several scams going on be careful. Write your family member to see if they are in jail or prison. A call from a jail will state it is collect if the person say they are a jailer and your loved one was brought in that is a scam. Contact your love one and talk to them. You can always call the unit when in doubt.

When my boyfriend was in the county jail we used global tel link also, when he called my regular cell phone it was $22 a call (he's in Florida, I'm in West Virginia). I didn't want to change my regular cell phone number so I bought a cheap prepaid cell phone and got a number local for him to call. It took the cost down to bout $2.50 a call (when you figured in the cost of minutes on the prepay phone).

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ella View Post
    I'm in South Africa. Does anybody know if international calls can be made from . I have two friends in correctional facilities that I would like to speak to. The "dingy" that delivers the mail accross the ocean takes far too long. 9-18 days.
    Get a Vonage number...they now do international calling and then you can get a "virtual" number that is local to the institution where he is at. He calls the local number (much cheaper) and the number is forwarded to your home phone

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information