+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Getting Mariied in State prison PA

Hi,
    My name is Ewa. My boyfriend is in State Correctional Institution at Waymart, PA. We love each other very much and We are trying to get married while he is in the prison. I heard that inmates have right to get married in PA. He already sent the request around two months ago and he still didn't receive the answer. Can anybody help us? We don't know what to do to make our plans for getting married real...
    Ewa

I dont live in PA but In Texas you can get married by proxy.You might want to check into it to see if it is possible in your state. Basicly it is getting married at the Justice of the Peace. You bring someone along that can stand in for your soon to be husband since he would be unable . Then when he comes home, you can renew your vows and have the real wedding that you want or not, thats up to you. If PA does allow marriage by proxy then that might be the best way because even when they are in prison its not a ideal ceremony anyway. Hope this helps.

Thank You, I'll try to find out if it's possible in PA... I hope it is..

Your welcome. I wish you the best of luck.

What all do you have to do for Texas to get married?

Jenny,
    It is fairly easy to get married in the state Of Texas. Of course my husband and I talked about it and made sure it was still what we both wanted. Then I went down to the marriage office in the county that I live in. I had to get a form for him to fill out and have notarized by the facility(which they gave it back the same day)Then take that form back to the county office that I live in and I explained that my soon to be husband was in prison and that I wanted to get "married by proxy"(meaning I fill out all of the papers and I have a friend stand in for my husband to say "I do") After I filled out the paper which was only a page long and paid the $65.00 marriage lis fee, I had to wait 3 days for the JP's office to recieve the notice and then you have i believe 30 days to make an "appointment" for you to be marriend. You set the appt. go there with whoever you choose to stand in for him ,show your DL/ID, the JP will call you in his/her office and confirm that you want to spend your life with _____ and ask your friend if they will agree that he wants the same and the JP stamps it and says congrats, and sends you on your way! You will get your marriage Lis in the mail!
    I know the form you would have to ask for is"married by proxy application" That would be the one her would need to fill out as well as you. Please remember though that every county may not be the same, but its worth checking out if this is something that your really wanting to do. We just decided to do this and then later after he is home then we can always renew our vows. Hope this helps!

Hi,

In 2005 I was actually the first person in the PA DOC to marry a prisoner by proxy. We did so because SCI Greene kept delaying us at every turn. You do not need the prison's permission to get married by proxy. If you are married in one of the states that allows marriage by proxy, our marriage was performed in Montana and my daughter stood in for him) then it is a legal marriage just like any other marriage performed the old fashioned way. SCI Greene sent it to PA DOC's legal department because they didn't think it was legal and after a full review, of course the legal department confirmed it was a legal marriage....which I knew. The first step is getting your fiance to put together a power of attorney for his stand in for the proxy marriage. Then, you and the proxy go to the clerk's office in the state where they will perform proxy marriages, get the license and then get married. You have to do your research to find which states (some will allow two proxy's, some only allow military members, etc...) we married in missoula montana, so I know they are willing to do the marriage. Hope this helps, Laura

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information