+ Reply to Thread

Default TDCJ informal common law marriage

ok my boyfrind sent me a form for " visitation purposes only" or so he said. it said TDCJ informal common law marriage. ok i filed it out had i notorized and sent it back to him he then filed out his part and sent it to inmate records. we are no longer together and i need to know if that was a legal binding marriage document? he is now out and i need to know if we need to get an actual divorce? please help!!!!!!!!

I think it was for TDCJ purposes only..So no need to worry!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by shapleya2011@hotmail.com View Post
    ok my boyfrind sent me a form for " visitation purposes only" or so he said. it said TDCJ informal common law marriage. ok i filed it out had i notorized and sent it back to him he then filed out his part and sent it to inmate records. we are no longer together and i need to know if that was a legal binding marriage document? he is now out and i need to know if we need to get an actual divorce? please help!!!!!!!!
    Let this be a lesson to ALL the ladies on here...know what you are signing BEFORE you sign ANY document. You could have very well obligated yourself to a whole MESS of stuff since the state of Texas recognizes common law marriages...he could have incurred all kinds of debt that you both could potentially have been responsible for down the road. Check with your local legal aid, they should be able to answer your question and let you know if further action is necessary.

I found this website, go take a look. Texas: calls it an "informal marriage," rather than a common-law marriage. Under § 2.401 of the Texas Family Code, an informal marriage can be established either by declaration (registering at the county courthouse without having a ceremony), or by meeting a three-prong test showing evidence of (1) an agreement to be married; (2) cohabitation in Texas; and (3) representation to others that the parties are married. A 1995 update adds an evidentiary presumption that there was no marriage if no suit for proof of marriage is filed within two years of the date the parties separated and ceased living together. http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=4265

It also says at the bottom that there is no such thing as a common law divorce, if you represented yourself as common law married, you have to get a legal divorce...find a lawyer and see what you need to do.
    Last edited by Cerwydden; 09-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.

hey shapleya2011@hotmail.com did you ever find out if you need to get a divorce im in the same situation and ive called around to some lawyers and well they said i would have to get a divorce but i dont know if they just want money. im engaged and really would like to get this solve.. according to the wedsite Cerwydden posted i think we dont but i just want to make sure. i dont want this to come back and bite me in the axx

Not if you didnt actually live with him but if you signed proxy papers you can go to legal aid to get a divorce.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information