+ Reply to Thread

Default "next of kin" rights

My guy and I are not married, but he is estranged from his family. He wants to make sure that if anything happens to him in prison that I have "next of kin" rights. He typed and signed a will stating this before he was incarcerated, and had it signed by witnesses, but will it stand up legally? Does anyone have any insight or experience with this issue?
    Thanks.
    beeanne

Quote Originally Posted by beeanne View Post
    My guy and I are not married, but he is estranged from his family. He wants to make sure that if anything happens to him in prison that I have "next of kin" rights. He typed and signed a will stating this before he was incarcerated, and had it signed by witnesses, but will it stand up legally? Does anyone have any insight or experience with this issue?
    Thanks.
    What state are you in? Does the prison have a copy of this?
    Through Thick and Thin, I'm ridin with him until the end....

I know with us I am the one to be reached in case of emergency. I am the only contact person the prison has and we are not married. I dont know if it works differently in different states though. Even when he was in the halfway house they contacted me when things happened.

We are in Michigan. I know he has me listed at the contact person in case of emergency. But what if he were to need end of life decisions? Or, if he were to die? Would they let me take care of things?
    beeanne

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information