+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Fun ideas/things to send them!!!

I'm new to the system. My fiance is in for 2-5. I have been researching ideas of things to send prisoners to keep them busy. Here are some ideas I have found. Feel free to add to this!

1. Start writing a story (naughty if you are BRAVE), ask them to continue it. Keep it going back and forth.
    2. Buy them a subscription to a magazine- there are rules about what kinds of mags. Look it up
    3. Pictures of yourself/kids/SCENARY
    4. Take photos of you doing something and make it like a flip book movie. For example, Stop to pick a flower and take a photo for each step you make. It turns out almost like a video for them.
    5. Make a calendar using homemade photos of the two of you and/or kids. Some prisons won't allow this.
    6. I like to print myspace surveys off and do one myself and then send a blank one for him to do!
    7. Print news articles online and send.
    8. Make your own crossword/word search puzzles using online generators and send. My guy LOVED this.

ANY IDEAS????

Rachel
    (Fiance-Matt, Camphill awaitin classification and home prison assignment. Cross your fingers ALBION close to home!!)
    Last edited by GAPEACH2005; 07-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

10 Prisoner Gift Ideas
    They Don’t Have to be Expensive!

1. Present for his kids – This can go further than anything you may be able to give him directly.

2. Dedicate a song to him on the radio – A great way to share a moment… and save it.

3. Puzzles, puzzles, and more puzzles – Games can keep his mind occupied and engaged.

4. Jokes, stories, and trivia from the Internet – It’s free and can provide a much-needed laugh.

5. Get him a subscription to his hometown paper or his favorite (allowed) magazine – Keeps him connected in a productive way.

6. Religious books – He may already have a bible, but there are wonderful spiritual books that can help him understand that bible in surprising new ways.

7. Read the same book at the same time – It’s another experience you can share.

8. Visit as often as you can! – No explanation needed.

9 Contact his prison and find out what you can and cannot send him – Sure, maybe it’s the thought that counts, but seriously, a gift isn’t worth much if he can’t get it.

10. A “JPay” care package – They have many sizes and price points depending on your budget.
    Bonus) Give him hope – It goes a long, long way

Feb.03, 2009 | Financial Services, Helpful Information, Inmate Communications

GAPEACH2005

Doing this bid with my man for close to 4 years, I've done and sent just about everything allowed!! LOL

You can do the calendars as long as each month is a separate sheet of paper, no binding. I just ran each month off on my color printer, added pics to each month. Oh, I also did a calendar type thing with the number of days he had left. Instead of a month listed on top it had "COUNTDOWN" and then I had little boxes with numbers in them. For example, if your man has 365 days left to do you would place 365 in the first box, 364 in the second and so on. I have one and my man has one, every day we check off a box, leading up to his release date. I didn't send that until he had a year remaining though.

There's a site called loving you, it has a lot of little things you can print up and send him. Favorite Things list, favorite body parts, poems, love coupons, etc. The address for the site is Lovingyou.com: Love, Romance and Relationship Resources, I always print up two, send him mine that I filled out and then a blank one for him to fill out and send to me.

My man loves the little jokes that I get through emails so I print those daily and send to him. I do the care packages every time they offer them, did the dedication of a song (he loved that, gave him the big head because a lot of the other inmates heard it) and I also send song lyrics. A very good book to send, the Love Dare from the movie Fireproof. That is such a good book!! It's a reference type thing, check it out, hard to explain what it is, sort of a "instruction" book, a day to day challenge if you are having problems OR what I liked about it, gives you ideas and advice/encouragement to help keep from having problems. Just make sure you order them from a place like Amazon, Barnes 'n Nobles, or any other known website that sells books or he won't get them. YOU CAN NOT BUY A BOOK YOURSELF AND SEND IT, THE INMATE WILL NOT GET IT AND IT WILL BE UP TO THE INMATE TO PAY FOR THE COST TO SEND IT BACK TO YOU!! At least that's how it is for Pennsylvania prisons.

Pictures, I've taken dozens of them!! Sexy ones, not so sexy ones (lol) pics of my son, pics of me and my son, pictures of places I want us to go and enjoy together (restaurants, clubs, parks, etc.) and when I go home to visit, I take pictures of places we already shared. The best picture ever, I took a picture of the steps where we shared our first kiss!! We shared our first kiss when we were like 15, 16 so when he saw that pic he got very emotional!!

I also send him a list of movies so he can tell me what movies he wants to see when he comes home. I've purchased a few of them already. They show a lot of them inside just as long as they are not rated R so I haven't had to buy many. I send him pages from a clothing catalog so he can see what everyone is wearing (I have to separate the pages, they won't allow the entire catalog with the pages attached).

One other very special thing I send is 2 pages from my favorite magazine called Woman's World. They feature a travel destination spot in every issue with pics and the main attractions to go see and do while you are there. Lots of nice tropical, carribbean places but also places right here in the US. I've been doing it for over a year now but what makes it more personal and special, I've saved the one where Georgia was featured and I'm going to send that to him just days before he's released and label that as our final destination since he's going to move here!!

If I think of anything else I'll post it. Get creative and enjoy!!
    Last edited by GAPEACH2005; 06-20-2009 at 03:48 PM.

GAPEACH2005

Come on, I know there are others out here with ideas on what to send. please do share!

Well, this past year for Valentine's Day I thought I'd get real creative and make him a card every day from the 1st to the 14th with each one getting better. He got the first 3 or 4 but then the mailroom started returning them saying it was "contraband". They sent me a list of things that couldn't be sent. No "homemade" art work, no stickers, no fabric/ribbons, nothing glued on, etc. So I put them away for him when he gets home. That kind of put a damper on things.

Other than that I do write him everyday & send cards on the days I visit, which is often. I've written him poems, a letter of just little everyday things I miss about him, like his funky feet:-) Sent him all different types of books, the local paper for our area, crossword puzzels & word searches. He gets his holiday/summer package with a few extras he isn't expecting. He gets photos of the kids & pets, stuff around the house- like my dead flower bed and the yard to show him what the crazy dog has been up to. And every week I'll print our wedding ticker & the timeline for him coming home. I went on brides.com and "created" our wedding making avatars to resemble us (that was really funny) and printed it out. Nothing too exciting, just regular daily events.

Senior Super Moderator

Smile Great Inspirational Books for Inmates and Friends and Family of Inmates

Great Inspirational Books for Inmates and Friends and Family of Inmates

1. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Living Your Dreams, 10th Anniversary Special Edition – This book is loaded with goal setting tips and inspirational stories that will motivate you to realize any of your goals in life.

2. Self Improvement: The Top 101 Experts Who Help Us Improve Our Lives (Paperback) by David Riklan – Riklan studied self-help experts that are most often searched for on the Internet. Then he devised an ingenious format for describing how they got started, what their message is all about, and how to find out more about them. A great way to get started.

3. Angry All The Time: An Emergency Guide To Anger Control
 Ronald T. Potter-Efron — This is an update of a best-selling classic on anger management that teaches how to understand and control episodes of uncontrolled anger.

4. Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren – This huge selling book gives a 40-day personal spiritual journey, and describes what Warren says are God’s five main purposes for all people.

5. Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza —A truly heartbreaking and equally inspirational story of courage and faith.

6. Man’s Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl – Tells his story of living in a concentration camp under the most horrific conditions imaginable and still found the strength to keep going.

7. Days of Grace by Arthur Ashe – In a world where athletes are all too often the opposite of role models, this autobiography tells us of an extraordinary man who achieved as much with his mind as he did with his athletic prowess.

8. The Real Bling: How to Get the Only Thing You Need by Brian McClellan—inspirational and motivational self-empowerment tools from a hip-hop perspective.

9. A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Martin Luther King – There will never be another like him, but still we can learn from his example.

10. We Got Fired! 
by Harvey Mackay – True stories of extraordinarily successful people who, as the title tells us, were not always quite so successful.

Feb.10, 2009 | Prison News
    Last edited by TexasDust; 07-04-2009 at 07:54 PM.

hey. keep your head up. they usually always place them close to home. and 2 years go by fast.

Thank You for taking the time to post. I will pass this along to family.

My man and I play hangman and I send him Soduko's

Default What havent I sent????

For our Eid this year I sent him a commemorative Dallas Cowboys program from the last game at the old stadium...I won big points for that one....I send him the sports section from our local paper...(we are both from B-More....GO RAVENS!!!!) I have sent the Ikea catalog so he can pick furnishings for our home...the kids always makes him art work and write letters...tons and tons of pictures...books....oh yea USA today sports weekly...another big point item!!!!
    Salimah...."The Fierce One"

I got a lot of ideas from this website.
    http://www.lovingfromadistance.com/t...uplestodo.html

what is this jpay care package i have never heard of it? where can i find it? im new to this so if you can let me know that would be awesome thank you!!

Did not know there was a JPay care package.. tell me more.
    Missing my music man

Senior Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by V♥LovesE♥ View Post
    what is this jpay care package i have never heard of it? where can i find it? im new to this so if you can let me know that would be awesome thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarly View Post
    Did not know there was a JPay care package.. tell me more.
    This is who you would have to contact to ask about the packages. It would be interesting to know what they tell you about their packages if they still have them, who can recieve them what they consist of and so on.
    Good Luck if Either of You Call to find out.

CONTACT US
    Contact Us by Email:
    JPay's Customer Service team can answer all account questions. Email us at Support@jpay.com and we will reply promptly.
    Contact Us by Phone:
    For live agent help, please call (800) 574-5729.
    We can only discuss account information with the account holder. We will verify account information before answering any account specific questions.

Write to Us:
    JPay, Inc.
    P.O. Box 530955
    Miami, FL 33153-0955

My loved one has been locked up for 10 years and frankly he wasn't sitting behind a computer when he was out, either. So I think I am going to send him a book about the internet and downloading music and e-mail and social networks, etc. (I'm thinking along the lines of Internet for Dummies type overview.) Hopefully he will be able to understand what his Mom and I are talking about and understand the email options that are becoming available in there....Just thought I'd share my "brainstorm". LOL
    NO, I'm not blonde.....I just seem like it sometimes.

Luvlyrose

This is so new to me and I am here all alone while my man is doing time in a state prison. I hate going to bed alone and its so hard to turn down temptations. I love him and I am waiting for him to come home to me. He should be getting out in January or February. I hope all goes well because I'm missing my baby.

I just recently made him an 8x10 book of pictures that I took of the scenery of the entire 2 hour drive that I take to come see him. I took pictures of the places I stop to tinkle, the stop light where I feel I am leaving my area and getting into his, the stop light where I start the slow jams, the area where I always get sad, I took pictures of the leaves changing colors, it was perfect that day. I also took pictures of me spelling his name out in sign language letters making goofy faces and then made the i love you sign and put that all on one page. He was blown away. I called it "a day in a life on date day" cause its not a visit, its our date.
    Devoted to rideout til the end

Default Awwww that's cute connie

I like that! My trip is 5 1/2 hours...it would be a catalog...but it was so funny that the points of interest that you were taking pictures of...I go through the same thing...like when I first start out driving...I am listening to hype music...excited, charged, ready to rumble on the road! But mid-way through it is time to tone it down somewhat...I have gotten into the groove of the traffic and I can let my mind wander a little bit. By the third leg of the trip...I am in love land I have my Tina Marrie, Jodice, Al Green, and of course MJB blasting all slow jams....as a matter of fact I have a playlist on my Ipod that is totally dedicated to that slow jam portion of the trip.

On the way back home...I drive in silence for a while...(like 1 or 2 hours). I have to clear my head and pray. I have to ask for strength to keep leaving my husband behind, to remember to be grateful for the opportunity each time we visit, and to thank Him for bringing us together no matter what the circumstance currently consists of. Alhamdulillah!

Just know that, I feel you girl!!!!

S
    Salimah...."The Fierce One"

There is also a "Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul" which is very well-reviewed.

Default camp hill and albion

let me know if you still correspond....would like to know about camp hill and albion....thanks

oh my goodness, I went to this site www.hoochymail.com, entered in a few bits of info, like our names email addresses (I just used mine for the both of us) some of our favorite things and it generates a story for you to send them. And let me tell you, if it doesn't get his blood pumpin... I don't know what will! It was so good, I wonder if he'll even get to read it!!

Omg I love my story!!!! I hope hope he loves it too( I bet he will . TYYYYYYYYYYY

Veteran Member

These are some great Ideas. I love the hoochymail too. I send the books, and the pics, do the handdrawn pics and love coupons. I'm gonna have to do the photo collection of the ride there, and the pics to make a flip motion pic. I think he'd dig that. He loved home video before he was locked up.

One thing I do occassionally is tell a story with magazine clip outs. Like for the hoochymail "Under the table story", I did a date... with the car I picked him up in (from a Mini Cooper ad)... a dozen roses (from an FTD Florist ad)... the entrees we ordered, our desert... the earings I was wearing ... the lingerie I sported... on the new bed I was on (A serta Ad)... and finished with a "sweet dreams" clip out I'd found in a ambien ad.

He sent me a "key" from Tiffany's (magazine clip out) which I carry ontop of my Driver's License in my walet.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJuneBug View Post
    These are some great Ideas. I love the hoochymail too. I send the books, and the pics, do the handdrawn pics and love coupons. I'm gonna have to do the photo collection of the ride there, and the pics to make a flip motion pic. I think he'd dig that. He loved home video before he was locked up.

One thing I do occassionally is tell a story with magazine clip outs. Like for the hoochymail "Under the table story", I did a date... with the car I picked him up in (from a Mini Cooper ad)... a dozen roses (from an FTD Florist ad)... the entrees we ordered, our desert... the earings I was wearing ... the lingerie I sported... on the new bed I was on (A serta Ad)... and finished with a "sweet dreams" clip out I'd found in a ambien ad.

He sent me a "key" from Tiffany's (magazine clip out) which I carry ontop of my Driver's License in my walet.
    That's a cute idea, but I just found out today that I can't send anything cut out from a magazine! Oh yeah, and no "bodily fluids" either! I think I giggled when the lady in the mailroom told me that! Who in the H*LL does THAT??? And what kind of "fluids" are sent? Man, some people are just plain crazy!!!

Veteran Member

Doing the entire bid..... I'm NEW to this site and my guy is facing 7-18! I'm LOST without him and ALOT of ppl say I'm CRAZY and UNREALISTIC because I PLAN ON RYDIN thru the whole bid too AND THAT means I WILL REMAIN PURE! THe thought of another man disgust me. Do you have any advice to help keep me strong?
    Thanx.
    Chrisc

Veteran Member

My significant other is a huge fan of cards...I go to the local store here and fine the 99 cent ones and he gets a few of those every month. I liked the idea of reading the same book, I will suggest that one today when he calls. Also because we are both Wiccans, we write and do our rituals on the same day.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

User Reported to Local Law Inforcement

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJuneBug View Post

i don't know if we can sent that cut out stuff, but a photo montage of my trip to the prsion, the store i get gas at, the rest area i run into to pee b4 my bladder erupts, and the best thing u ever see (ur exit) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwydden View Post
    My significant other is a huge fan of cards...I go to the local store here and fine the 99 cent ones and he gets a few of those every month. I liked the idea of reading the same book, I will suggest that one today when he calls. Also because we are both Wiccans, we write and do our rituals on the same day.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
    i didnt know u were wiccan..wow learn something new every day... my cousins ex wife is wiccan, crazy though, she only did it after becoming obsessed with harry potter, i was scared for her to watch twilight, she woulda been a vampire next.. lol..

but yes i love cards, and the dollar store has them 2 for a dollar...and i buy one of those sappy ones that are like 4.95 once a month..

Quote Originally Posted by MzSlugga View Post
    Doing the entire bid..... I'm NEW to this site and my guy is facing 7-18! I'm LOST without him and ALOT of ppl say I'm CRAZY and UNREALISTIC because I PLAN ON RYDIN thru the whole bid too AND THAT means I WILL REMAIN PURE! THe thought of another man disgust me. Do you have any advice to help keep me strong?
    Thanx.
    Chrisc
    dont put ur self in a position to be tempted. i know ur young and want to go out, but going out leads to temptation, if u do, go with family and friends that wont try and push u into something ...

Salimah, how did you go about sending the IKEA catalog?

i havent sent books or magazines in awhile, we are getting closer to the end of the bid but i used to send him hidden picture books, along with quick reads and word search. my sister sends him alot of pictures of things like driving her car on highway i guess she wants him to see things he hasnt in a long time. every holiday i make the pics on snapfish or shutterfly and put all our names with pics on it and mail them to him so he can mail personal cards out to everyone. lately i been mailing him pictures from the past as my little one grows i always trace her foot or hand for him too, sometimes she will color them in.

Question Sending things to Camp Hill

I've seen good ideas here of things I can send my son in Camp Hill. Just a few questions: sending books & newspapers - they need to be mailed directly from the store, publisher? puzzles - are you referring to puzzle books and/or printouts you made and sent? Thanks!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphJB View Post
    There is also a "Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul" which is very well-reviewed.
    great book i read it and sent it to my step daughter.
    GOD IS SHIFTING THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute Graphics

Did you purchase and mail the books yourself or did the store/publisher mail them direct for you?

Amazon.com I believe all prisons accept books from there, check with the prison on restrictions, some restrict hardcover books and spiral bound. They also restrict certain authors and titles I can't even tell you how many books I've send that were restricted and by the time they send them back to you, which is charged to the inmate, it's too late to send them back to the company..... hope this helps
    Let Go and Let Love

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphJB View Post
    I was just reading excerpts from that book online, and it made me cry. Really heartfelt. I think I'll send J one and order a copy for myself.

This thread is a heaven sent for me!

The suggestion of a calendar: *squee* I've been trying to find a way around the "no binding" for this idea for awhile!

Is there anyway to know which books on Amazon are ok in advance?

Also - an idea to toss onto the heap:

Dress the kid up cute for xyz holiday, turn the photo into a greeting card and then have the kid sign it the best they can. In my case - pink paint all over my 6 month old's hand to make a smudgy hand print.

Can anyone tell me how you guys send them books/magazines/local paper? I am new to this and I'm trying to think of things to lift my brother's spirit. I sent the summer care package, but not sure when/how to purchase another one. He really loved it. Any information you guys have is appreciated. Thanks.

They do another package program closer to the holidays, also for the newspaper just pay for a subscription with his name and address and they will send it to the prison, just make sure it has his numbers next to his name... call the prison to find out where the accept books from all of them are different..... good luck
    Let Go and Let Love

Veteran Member

Exclamation 2nite @ 11:pm Ur Girl IS @ it Again!!!!

Don't FORGET. I'm in Pa SO 4 Some of you it's going to be earlier OR Later!

Friday Night GoodaZ at 11pm & AGAIN at Midnight!
    Hope U join me in the ChatRoom!
    or Call in at (760) 542-3951 to
    listen in OR Chat a lil with me LIVE!
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ladyslu...6/chill-statis

REMEMBER! IF YOU MISS THE SHOW, U CAN STILL LISTEN TO THE ARCHIVE BY JUST GOIN TO MY PAGE.... www.blogtalkradio.com/LadySlugga

Yeah! This is Fun 4 them & Us...
    It's MUSIC & What's a Better "Feel Good Factor" !!!!
    The 1 & Only Lady Slugga!!!!

Besides the many pictures that I send. I also print them on regular paper and and write a quote on them. He actually likes those better than regular pictures. I also send him the love is comic strips and write a quote on it that we shared or something that we have done and sometimes if it's something that has to do with us I send him the picture along with it! He loves it and makes him laugh!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ride or Die Chick View Post
    Besides the many pictures that I send. I also print them on regular paper and and write a quote on them. He actually likes those better than regular pictures. I also send him the love is comic strips and write a quote on it that we shared or something that we have done and sometimes if it's something that has to do with us I send him the picture along with it! He loves it and makes him laugh!
    there is some things on www.lovingyou.com as well. i have sent him so much from there
    GOD IS SHIFTING THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Celiwyn View Post
    Dress the kid up cute for xyz holiday, turn the photo into a greeting card and then have the kid sign it the best they can. In my case - pink paint all over my 6 month old's hand to make a smudgy hand print.
    Edit - *sigh* Trace the hand with a pen- the card got returned due to "glitter/glue/paint" - go figure. But the idea otherwise still holds.

I also sent him coupons in the mail. I used to do this before - I would send him coupons from the newpaper to places I'd like to go with him.

Does anyone have the list of magazines that are allowed?

Next month : my friend's birthday ! He will not have the cake, but be sure that he will have the candles !!!
    I am going to realize 55 candles in paper, as a card. Inside : a word of some friends of mine and their picture.
    But I have now to find 55 friends to write a little word ! So, if some of you can help, it would be appreciated.
    In the same idea, on Eastern, I made some eggs in paper. 6 eggs with only one word inside. All the eggs together were a phrase.
    And for christmas, I am thinking of the way to make an Advent calendar. I'll tell you when it's OK.
    And each month, a calendar with a picture. One time, I was disguised as a clown. My letter was in different colors. I sent a poem, with pictures of a clown. All was about a clown. It was funny and colored !

can we buy playing cards on amazon.com and have amazon send them to him? will they except them? or is that not aloud? i did hear people having playing cards>>>
    I MISS DOBEE

I admit that I don't know , but if you find out the answer let me know!

Even before my sweetie got taken away one of the things I would do is clip coupons of places I wanted to go with him. I kept this up and he is happily keeping a little stack of "fun things to look forward to".

I found three more!

Calender: I found a free program that makes a calendar with your own images that will print out as a normal piece of paper - so I can mail it with a letter (gets past the binding rules and means I can send a page a month). I covered it with collage of photos.

Homemade Postcards: Grab card stock or if you can find it - 4 up postcard paper. Take a program like Word or what not and with two lines - one vertical - one horizontal, split the page into 4. Find 4 cute picture - I use romantic little ones I find online. Postage on these is only 28 cents instead of 44 too!

Paper Roses: This ones selfish... but I sent a piece of pink paper with large hearts on it. He wanted to do something for me. When he mails it back I am going to send him a photo of me holding the rose with his handwritting on it.

Link to the instructions: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/project...se-boutonniere

This rose is very beautiful !

If you want to do an original picture : http://fr.picjoke.net/
    You have only to send your own picture, and in one second, you can have something very beautiful. A lot of choices...

Is there an english version of that website?
    ***MISSING MY SUNSHINE***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information