+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phone calls

Default Phone calls

Can anyone help me with this? Right now it costs my man 3.50 to call me because it's a long distance call. If I could get a local number it'd only cost 1.60. So my question is: what should I go through to get a local number? I've tried a Tracfone but I live in the middle of nowhere & don't get service on it, plus they didn't give me a local number. I tried google voice but they don't have a local number available for Hunlock Creek so now I don't have many more options. I heard about Cold Crib Communication but I'm not quite too sure about it. Has anyone heard if this works well or not? I'm a little nervous about signing up because it's 30 bucks & if it doesn't work I'm out that much money. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Veteran Member

Never heard of them I am trying to figure out who does phone for=northfork in=oklahoma...have you tried concallhome?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I use tracfone and my fiance is 5 hours away from me. I got a phone number for his area code on tracfone.com. but it's ashame you said you get no service where you are for that..he only pays $1.60. He buys a $25.00 phone call and we use 15 calls that weekend..I hope you find something that works!!..

Another company prisoncalldirect(pcd)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Google Voice may not have # for specific city but you can look for a city that's close that within the local call area as the city he is in. Go to local.com - put in the city and state and you will get a list (on the left) of close cities. Try to find #'s for those cities in Google Voice.

Veteran Member

I will be glad to have $3.50 calls again!! It costs $11.49/ 15 mins at Dauphin Co!! I just got a google voice # for him to use to call me down there. Today was the first time he used it so I can't wait to see how much cheaper that is. *whew* (They finally updated my account......drumroll please........$2.44/15 mins with google voice #!!!! SAWEEEEEEET!!!)

Let me know if you find a google voice # that's local to Hunlock Creek.
    Last edited by MzJudy29; 06-12-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added info :)

Veteran Member

There are some Kingston #s (18704 zip code) on google voice...that is about near Wilkes-Barre --- still a heck of a lot closer than Williamsport.

Who told you a local call would only cost $1.60? Where were they calling? Maybe google voice has a # for there?

Sorry....you got me investigating now lol Let me know what you find

Try Skype, It's 2.99 a month for the service and then I think 18 bucks to buy the to buy the online number. It was the only company that had a local number to Frackville so it might have it for your man's jail. Let me know if you have any questions. You could also try vonage just they are pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by MzJudy29 View Post
    I will be glad to have $3.50 calls again!! It costs $11.49/ 15 mins at Dauphin Co!! I just got a google voice # for him to use to call me down there. Today was the first time he used it so I can't wait to see how much cheaper that is. *whew* (They finally updated my account......drumroll please........$2.44/15 mins with google voice #!!!! SAWEEEEEEET!!!)

Let me know if you find a google voice # that's local to Hunlock Creek.
    Wooow!! 11.49! That's ridiculous! Ima tell my man he better be thankful for what he has! lol! My man told me it'd only be 1.60 if I got a local number, along with one of his friends girls. So, we're just trying to find a way to make it cheaper & easier for us to talk more often.

Thank you everyone! I'm going to keep researching & see what I come up with.

addmyphone.com that is the $1.60 per phone call service. It is very good.

We pay a $1.60 per 15 min call, every day. No Skype fee, no cost to buy the phone #. No setup cost. He dials the number I got from Google Voice, and it directly rings my cell phone (or any other phone I choose). The phone # that he is calling is considered within local calling area of his institution. If you pay more than $1.60, then the phone # you have may be in the next calling area over. Remember ladies, it's not Just the area code, but the area code AND THE EXCHANGE (the 2nd 3#'s) have to be in the same calling area.

If you look at a map,
    http://www.callingphiladelphia.com/p...-area-code-map

you'll see that the 814 and the 570 areas are HUGE! But every phone # in 814 area code is NOT local to every other phone # in 814 area code. Same goes with 570.

Try this, http://www.usa.att.com/localcallingarea/index.jsp to find out what exchanges are local to his institution phone #.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsc2be View Post
    We pay a $1.60 per 15 min call, every day. No Skype fee, no cost to buy the phone #. No setup cost. He dials the number I got from Google Voice, and it directly rings my cell phone (or any other phone I choose). The phone # that he is calling is considered within local calling area of his institution. If you pay more than $1.60, then the phone # you have may be in the next calling area over. Remember ladies, it's not Just the area code, but the area code AND THE EXCHANGE (the 2nd 3#'s) have to be in the same calling area.

If you look at a map,
    http://www.callingphiladelphia.com/p...-area-code-map

you'll see that the 814 and the 570 areas are HUGE! But every phone # in 814 area code is NOT local to every other phone # in 814 area code. Same goes with 570.

Try this, http://www.usa.att.com/localcallingarea/index.jsp to find out what exchanges are local to his institution phone #.
    Thank you so much! That was such a help being able to check which were local. I just put in the area code & next three #'s of the jail's number & it said Kingston was local, so I could make a google voice account. Hopefully it will work also!

U can order a net10 phone and put in the zip code of the prison for what are u want ya number to be from.... Net10 has great service

Veteran Member

Kris...that is what I am going to do too....use a Kingston # through google voice when he goes back to Retreat. It is free and it rings through right to my cell phone. It is working like a dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by MzJudy29 View Post
    Kris...that is what I am going to do too....use a Kingston # through google voice when he goes back to Retreat. It is free and it rings through right to my cell phone. It is working like a dream now.
    Totally agree! I just got my Kingston number & I'm sending it out in a letter today. He probably won't be able to add it to his list til next week but as long as it works, I'm a happy girl!

Angry google voice

my man is at sci mahanoy and i tried to get a google voice local number but they have none available so im going to try to get my cell provider to change to the right exchange it is costing us $3 something a call too right now, i told my cell provider the zip code for prison and the number they gave me is still a long distance number...anyone have any other ideas if that doesnt work????

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information