+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Can u claim an inmate on taxes??

    One of my close girlfriends said her grandmom used to claim her husband on her taxes when he got locked up is this true cause if so i need some money lol all this money i been givin him since he been locked up if so how can i have proof these records?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Deltona, Florida
    Posts
    388
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGrl09 View Post
    One of my close girlfriends said her grandmom used to claim her husband on her taxes when he got locked up is this true cause if so i need some money lol all this money i been givin him since he been locked up if so how can i have proof these records?

    I asked about this joking before I always heard no because to be able to claim someone on ur taxes you have to prove they have lived with you for at least 6 months. But please do correct me if im wrong! wouldnt that be a lovely thing to be able to get back something?!

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Sunshine State
    Posts
    597
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortthk View Post
    I asked about this joking before I always heard no because to be able to claim someone on ur taxes you have to prove they have lived with you for at least 6 months. But please do correct me if im wrong! wouldnt that be a lovely thing to be able to get back something?!
    HELL YEAH, I'd BE LINING THEM Up like a soup kitchen! My cousin, my best friend, my man, my baby daddy LMAO....
    IF you don't already kno, u betta ask somebody!

  4. #4
    GAPEACH2005
    Guest

    Default

    I don't think you can, like Short said, to claim someone as a dependent you have to prove they lived with you at least 6 months. Another thing, to claim "adults" involve a lot more, it's not like claiming children. If he wasn't in jail, just home and not working you wouldn't be able to claim him even if you were actually taking care of him. The only way you can claim adults is if they are disabled in some way or young adults under the age of 25 who are still in school/college.

    Wish we could though, I would definitely be doing an amendment for the past 4 years!!

  5. #5
    Senior Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ~Love is Stronger than any Wall Built by Man~
    Posts
    9,968
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    And just to add a little info:
    If you claim joint on a tax return it legaly binds you in Colorado you have to get a divorce if you want to marry someone else cause it legally joins you!
    Call H&R Block in your area and please post here what they tell you on the subject matter....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    oo okay cause her grandmom told us we can claim are boyfriends lol and we was hype and was goin to do it

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGrl09 View Post
    oo okay cause her grandmom told us we can claim are boyfriends lol and we was hype and was goin to do it
    actually there is a way to claim certain things on your taxes,that you do for them..because my man and my sister, that works for H&R block told me about it.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAW69 View Post
    actually there is a way to claim certain things on your taxes,that you do for them..because my man and my sister, that works for H&R block told me about it.
    So spill the beans... What can you claim so we all can get some extra cash!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Always_There_4_Him View Post
    So spill the beans... What can you claim so we all can get some extra cash!!
    I emailed my sister on this and I'm waiting for a reply

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ok...I stand corrected...you can NOT claim him..but you can claim the money yoou send...

  11. #11
    GAPEACH2005
    Guest

    Default

    I believe you can claim some of the money, almost like itemizing. Just as you can claim your tithes and offering you give in church, charitable items and other things like that. I "think" it's more difficult to do than easy, I hear itemizing is a hassle.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    well if someone finds anythin out can u let me know please...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    JAMESGRL..LOL!! I ain't mad atcha..WE ALL wish we could get some money back for these men!!! But keep looking in to...they could have something out there, they don't want anyone to know about..because you know they make a lot of money putting our bad boys in prison so just let us all know, when you find out..hahaha!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    YEAH I need some money, let me know if you can do that in PA.lol I already did my taxes but next year I will look into it...

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    In PA If you want to claim a person as a dependent on your tax return, that person must meet five criteria. A dependent must be a member of your household, be a US citizen or resident, not be married and filing a joint return, have income less than $3,050, and you must provide more than half of their support.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    453
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I am taking federal taxes is in school; if you have a boyfriend and you both can claim filed married filing jointly even if your not married, however you have to divorce, legally before you can marry some one else... You can itemize or claim the standard deduction NOT both... to itemize it has to be medical, home interest etc...but the standard deduction is all most more than you itemized expenses so almost everyone takes the standard deduction...if you have a farther questions message me or ask me on here.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessadams View Post
    I am taking federal taxes is in school; if you have a boyfriend and you both can claim filed married filing jointly even if your not married, however you have to divorce, legally before you can marry some one else... You can itemize or claim the standard deduction NOT both... to itemize it has to be medical, home interest etc...but the standard deduction is all most more than you itemized expenses so almost everyone takes the standard deduction...if you have a farther questions message me or ask me on here.
    Hey how does this wk my fiance is comming home in aug. and we will be getting married official by sept. right now we are commin law married. anyhow i am the one sending him money and paying his land taxes would i be able to claim him 2011 taxes?
    Keep your head up

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    458
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Even if you're married for 1 day, you can file married, filing jointly for 2011. That way you have 2 exemptions, you and him. (you're not claiming him cause he's not a dependent). You'll be able to claim the taxes if you file jointly. Make sure he doesn't have anything outstanding that would take the income tax refund, like back child support or student loans.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsc2be View Post
    Even if you're married for 1 day, you can file married, filing jointly for 2011. That way you have 2 exemptions, you and him. (you're not claiming him cause he's not a dependent). You'll be able to claim the taxes if you file jointly. Make sure he doesn't have anything outstanding that would take the income tax refund, like back child support or student loans.
    NO problems or worries about the incometax we would get back, he got his GED while he was locked up, no studants loans any only child he has is my baby girl whom he clames as his own. Can't wait to see him sunday!
    Keep your head up

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    you can not legally claim an inmate....illegally yes
    Muslimah in my heart. Allah (SWT) is not done with me yet (Inshallah)

  21. #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDust View Post
    And just to add a little info:
    If you claim joint on a tax return it legaly binds you in Colorado you have to get a divorce if you want to marry someone else cause it legally joins you!
    Call H&R Block in your area and please post here what they tell you on the subject matter....
    I worked parttime for JH for 3 years and now do taxes on the side but I asked years (11 or so) ago about filing joint with my husband and the IRS said if you are married you are married it doesnt matter that your husband is in prison, you are entitled to that deduction, but if you are common law married or not even married and file married filing jointly as dust said get ready to divorce him in any state because you cant change your filing status otherwise.
    He is finally home after 21 years! Praise God!!!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    458
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    If you are married, you're either filing Married Joint, or Married Seperate. If you file Married Joint, then you and he are filing together. He is an exemption, same as you. Doesn't matter if he has income or is being housed by someone or something else. You take your Exemptions (you, him, and however many dependents you have) and multiply by $3650 and that amount comes off your "Adjusted Gross Income" The more that comes off, the less tax obligation you have for that year. The less that you are obligated to have paid, the MORE of what you paid comes back to you as a REFUND"

  23. #23
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsc2be View Post
    If you are married, you're either filing Married Joint, or Married Seperate. If you file Married Joint, then you and he are filing together. He is an exemption, same as you. Doesn't matter if he has income or is being housed by someone or something else. You take your Exemptions (you, him, and however many dependents you have) and multiply by $3650 and that amount comes off your "Adjusted Gross Income" The more that comes off, the less tax obligation you have for that year. The less that you are obligated to have paid, the MORE of what you paid comes back to you as a REFUND"
    exactly
    He is finally home after 21 years! Praise God!!!

  24. #24
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,913
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    It seems to me that the best place to ask for any type of tax advice would be the IRS or professional tax preparers. Not to be insulting, but anyone can claim to be or do anything in these forums. This type of advice can go badly quickly if it is inaccurate or misleading. If its wrong and you take someone's advice, you are on the hook for the back taxes owed, plus any fines and fees. And trust me, the IRS is the LAST person you want in your business.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerwydden View Post
    It seems to me that the best place to ask for any type of tax advice would be the IRS or professional tax preparers. Not to be insulting, but anyone can claim to be or do anything in these forums. This type of advice can go badly quickly if it is inaccurate or misleading. If its wrong and you take someone's advice, you are on the hook for the back taxes owed, plus any fines and fees. And trust me, the IRS is the LAST person you want in your business.
    Well said! Anyone heard of Tax Fraud? If you are not married, you just can't say you're married and filing joint. You also can't claim adults as dependents unless they meet certain requirements. Stop trying to juice the system. This is why I pay way more taxes than I need too.

  26. #26
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    You can file jointly if you are married. After his craft shop supervisor said we couldn't I checked into it. My dad is a tax advisor, I called Huntsville and the IRS and all said that if we are married we can file together. She threatened to throw him out of the craft shop if we filed together (he has to get some kind of paperwork from her showing what he made and his expenses and she wouldn't give it to him, his tax return had to go through her, so she said) After calling and talking with the warden, needless to say we got the info we needed and she got taken down a peg or two. It was a big deal for me because if we filed separately I would be paying $500 and if we filed jointly I got back $2000.

 

 
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
JPay © 2014
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.