+ Reply to Thread

Default Collect Call Phone System

Does anybody know of any other collect call services because Global Tel link is the worst!! lol.....My Husband is in Sci Albion. I been chnged my cell phone number to a 814 last year. I just need a collect service dat he call at the end of the week when his phone card runs out and before they put the new one on, on Monday. Thanks.

As far as I know for PA Dept of Corrections the only service you can use is GTL they have a contract w/ PA, if you find out anything let me know, I cancelled GTL cause its a major rip off I was paying 6.25/call...I have Google and I got a prepaid phone when google was acting up and it's 1.70/call for google and the prepay. I keep the prepay in case google acts up again. I know what you mean about the phone card running out my BF's ran out yesterday so he cant call me until the new one is on Tuesday, he does his list Monday night and the phone card is on there Tuesday..
    Last edited by gcallozzo; 03-31-2011 at 12:37 PM.

GTL is awful I've been having problems getting calls for the last 2 days first they told me there was a block on my phone then they told me it was google's problem then they told me it was the jail we pay all this money and can't even talk to our loved ones... infuriating.

I just went to addmyphone.com and it is really affordable for them to call. It links a local call to any 2 of your numbers. Money is taken out of their commisary account for the cost of a local call.

Hope this helps.

addmyphone.com is like google I think....GTL and Google are two different companies, GTL you have to put money on the acct. and you pay for it. Its like calling collect, w/ google he has to get a phone card and call the google # which is forwarded to your cell or landline. I got a prepaid cell that had a area code where my BF is to avoid all this. I dont trust google I have a feeling that will end soon or block the call like it did before.
    Last edited by gcallozzo; 03-31-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Question... do you need to have the global tel link or can you just use calling cards? I don't know why my BF isn't getting calling cards instead of going through this stupid company.

Yes for him to call you without getting a phone card he has to go thru GTL, you have to set it up yourself and it has to be a landline phone once its set up you can forward it to your cell phone you cant use a cell phone to set up account cause its considered a collect call and cell phones dont have that capability, GTL is the only supplier for PA Dept of Corrections. If not you can use google which then he will have to get a phone card on comisary. You can also get a prepaid cell phone w/ the area code where your BF is. I would try to stay away from GTL, I was paying 6.25/call now I pay 1.70 w/ a prepaid cell phone.

He would get the phone card only if he is calling a google # or your cell phone, etc.. you dont have to have a calling card to use GTL its like calling collect which you pay for all he has to do is call the # and with GTL you have a 100.00 limit once that ran out you have to put $ on GTL or the calls are blocked until you pay the bill. Its so much cheaper using the prepay cell phone 1.70 instead of 6.25 a call we talk so much more now. Hope this is Helpful.....

Thank you I've been dealing with GTL for 7 months now because he told me that was the only way and I have been having problems the last 2 days the calls are not coming through. He is going to have to start getting calling cards so we can stop using them. GTL is outrageous with the cost of their cals.

All calls go from PA State Institutions go thru GTL. They leave the institution thru a GTL system and THEN they go to you.

If he pays for the call first, then it's prepaid by phone card he bought thru commissary. If he calls collect, it is goes to a GTL account that you have already set up and either put phone time on it (you prepay) or GTL bills you (paid for on your end. If the number he is dials has an area code and exchange local to where he is then the call will be cheap - about $1.60 to 1.70 per 15min call. So we do one of two things. We get a phone with the area code where he is (either prepaid phone or add a line to your exsiting cellular service and have them give you an area code where he is). In addition to what he pays for prepay call, you pay for the new prepaid phone or extra phone line. OR we get virtual phone #s (Google, addmyphone, etc) which are forwarded directly to your real phone #. There is no additional cost to you for the virtual phone #. With either of these ways, he adds the local phone # to his list and then he calls it with his prepaid (purchased) commissary phone card.

I do not know of anyone who has a GTL account (again, where he calls collect and you pay for on your end) on a Google # as GTL wants a copy of your phone bill. These calls are always high unless you happen to live near where he is .

GTL is on to the virtual phone #s, particularly Google. Every so often they manange to stop those calls from going thru. So far, we've been lucky and they come back on.. eventually. Google's nice because you don't have to carry around a 2nd phone and no extra cost. But his cellphone line is on my account so I'm just gonna change the number to an 814 area code and carry the extra phone around. Paying for it anyway and that way I don't have to deal with the GTL/Google war

I prepay for the calls by adding money on my end. I think they caught on to my google voice number I'm going to have to get a new phone with a York County area code because I can't afford the 16.00 a phone call to my regular number. When he goes back to Camp Hill he can get the calling card and just add the new number to his call list and I won't have to set up an account? because if it's prepaid I can't produce a phone bill... and I'm on the go so much I don't want to get a landline and miss the calls. This is so frustrating.

Thats what I did go around GTL & Google, and get a prepay phone..Problem solved.lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information