+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Question power of attorney

i don't know if i should be asking in the state-related forum but i was wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is to get power of attorney over an inmate's finances. is it a difficult thing to do or get?

thanks in advance.
    let go, let God

---

---

---

"And stand together yet not too near together:
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each otherís shadow." - The Prophet

my husbands lawyer was gonna draw up the papers for power of attorney for me... i decided against it... but it wasnt difficult...
    **When 1 Door Closes Another Door Opens**

U didnt know how to treat me so I found some1 that did

my daughter just requested the form, I have power over her...there is one giving power of atty over the inmate to a family/friend/significant other. ask him to ask his classification officer.
    i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart )<3

Veteran Member

i was just wondering because we're trying to figure out how he can get his check that the rehab program FINALLY mailed him signed over to me so i can deposit it into my own personal account. it wasn't mailed to the jail (obviously) and we know if i mailed it to him to sign, it would be confiscated and returned. he said there's a special visitation room where you can slide things thru a "hole" for inmates to sign but i think that's reserved for attorneys and not the general public.

if the stupid rehab center had just given him all of his money when he was discharged, we wouldn't be having this challenge!
    let go, let God

---

---

---

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each otherís shadow." - The Prophet

Veteran Member

Its not hard to get. My husband and I had our attorney draw one up before he was incarcerated thinking it would avoid a lot of difficult situations where our finances were concerned.
    While the POA is not difficult to obtain, the problem comes with others not recognizing or acknowledging its value. I still have no access to my husband's Social Security benefit info., Child Support info., or Veterans Benefits info. None of those entities recognize my power of attorney.

Our bank does but so far, thats the only place it has helped. So dont get it with the false sense that you will be "your loved one" with that piece of paper, b/c State and Federal agencies do not recognize it and do not accept it.

Its been very frustrating dealing with this crap. But good luck to you, being in a different state, maybe you'll have better luck? I just know Missouri is unfriendly toward POA. (as well as federal govt. like SS and VA)
    Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over.

Veteran Member

thanks, infinity. i just want to be able to cash his check and any future checks he may receive from disability. i don't want all that other info. i pretty much know what i need to know. i don't want to be him...i have enough on my plate just being me...
    let go, let God

---

---

---

Faerie...you know what i would say right? LOL
    i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart )<3

Veteran Member

yes. but forging a check is fraud and i don't want to end up in prison for 30 years! LMFAO!!!
    let go, let God

---

---

---

my man just did mine when he was in county its a form he can get from the co and he has to get it notorized there as well and then you can use it, its kinda useless though anyother cases he has or anything to deal with the dmv or his actual bank account they deny it, but as far as other things it works, like cashing his check it will work,

Veteran Member

I got poa when my husband was in county jail. I do not know why i got it then but i did. Now all the bills and the bill collectors are getting on my nerves. I went through the county register of deeds office.
    GOD IS SHIFTING THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute Graphics

Veteran Member

My husband just filled out the paperwork at his unit and sent it to me. I don't know about where you live but it didn't even have to be notorized he just signed an Unsworn Declaration which a lot of inmates in texas have to use. I was able to get his birth certificate, our marriage license, and open a bank account for him. so you might check on that in your state.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information