+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JPay Stamp Cost

Thumbs down JPay Stamp Cost

OK....I know this is going to sound petty but....

It used to cost $5.00 for 20 JPay stamps here in Michigan and I just went to buy some more and now it is $8.00 for 21 stamps!

The price raised $3.00 for only 1 extra stamp?

As I said before, I know it's petty and no price is too much for me to be able to write to my son, but that kind of increase seems CRAZY to me. I did the calculations and it would actually be more cost-effective for him to call me at 12 cents a minute then for me to send him a JPay letter (assuming it doesn't take him 3 minutes to read 1 page).

I don't know.....it works out to approximately 38 cents per page and I can send him 5 to 8 pages in the regular mail for 44 cents. I know that JPay is a business so they obviously need to make a profit or they wouldn't have this service but a $3.00 increase just sort of blew me away.

Like I said, just ranting.
    ~Antwain's Dad

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than any Wall Built by Man~

That is a Huge increase I wonder if other states also increased like that!?

Regular mail is the best! More paper per envelope and pictures plus the pictures are in color when sent through the mail...As JPay they are in black and white Right!?

JPay Is a Nice Great Service to use when you need to get a message to them right away or to make sure they get something in the mail the next day...

I am just glad it is still only the cost of a stamp or less, so it is still great for me to use as it is easier for me to type and press send then go through the whole process the old fashion way...Lol!
    I guess it is due to laziness on my part!

SO ANYONE ELSE FIND THERE WAS AN INCREASE ON THE STAMPS?

I just bought some more tonight, I'm in Pennsylvania and they haven't increased here yet.
    Amanda

I am in Michigan and mine still are $5.00 for 20, $7.50 for 32 and $10 for 50. I am not sure why you were charged an extra $3 but my prices are the same.

Senior Super Moderator

I have found that different facilities in the same state sometimes have different stamp prices, is your son still at Straits Correctional Facility? If he is maybe someone on here can tell you if there stamp price has increased for them too if that is where they send their emessages to...

Here is the Contact Us Information to JPay Services I would call not email as a phone call gets answered I really never had luck e mailing them.

This is what I call getting the Information Straight from the Horses Mouth! Lol!

CONTACT US
    Email us

JPay's Customer Service team is available to assist you with your questions. Email support@jpay.com and we will reply promptly.
    Write us

JPay, Inc.
    12864 Biscayne Blvd. Suite 243
    Miami, FL 33181
    Call us

If you can’t find your answer in Help or the Family Forum call us at (800) 574-JPAY. Agents can only discuss account information with the account holder. All calls are recorded for security and quality assurance.

I checked because I was curious and the stamp prices are the same as they have been. It says the stamp packages are for MDOC. Jpay has the contract with MDOC not individual prisons.

Senior Super Moderator

Ok so maybe when I was looking around some time ago I realized that not all pay the same price for a stamp when it comes to Different States!?

I noticed it once when they started service in one of the states to a new facility and I thought the price per stamp was different than the price per stamp at a different facility in the same state BUT maybe it was that it was just a different price than what I paid for mine and I was in a different state.

Just checked my end and prices are still the same. Weird, I would for sure contact jpay to see if this was an issue with your account or maybe a sign they are raising the price.

I was curious and checked to see how much stamps are for the facility I send to here in Indiana. Here it is:

$4 gets you 10 letters
    $8 gets you 21 letters
    $16 gets you 43 letters

When we first started using JPAY, I bought the 43. I just glad we don't use JPAY all that much and use snail mail more.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TwainsDad View Post
    OK....I know this is going to sound petty but....

It used to cost $5.00 for 20 JPay stamps here in Michigan and I just went to buy some more and now it is $8.00 for 21 stamps!

The price raised $3.00 for only 1 extra stamp?

As I said before, I know it's petty and no price is too much for me to be able to write to my son, but that kind of increase seems CRAZY to me. I did the calculations and it would actually be more cost-effective for him to call me at 12 cents a minute then for me to send him a JPay letter (assuming it doesn't take him 3 minutes to read 1 page).

I don't know.....it works out to approximately 38 cents per page and I can send him 5 to 8 pages in the regular mail for 44 cents. I know that JPay is a business so they obviously need to make a profit or they wouldn't have this service but a $3.00 increase just sort of blew me away.

Like I said, just ranting.
    i have not bought any in a while. thanks for the update. i will check soon. good old mdoc.........
    GOD IS SHIFTING THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute Graphics

AlwaysTogether

i just checked mine and it said the same price i always paid mine hasnt changed
    Posted via Mobile Device

Just bought 50 and my price was still the same too...I'd be making a phone call

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat78 View Post
    I was curious and checked to see how much stamps are for the facility I send to here in Indiana. Here it is:

$4 gets you 10 letters
    $8 gets you 21 letters
    $16 gets you 43 letters

When we first started using JPAY, I bought the 43. I just glad we don't use JPAY all that much and use snail mail more.
    You know what....I added a friend of mine to my list of inmates on JPay and he is down in Indiana. I bet that's why the prices changed on my end. Thanks for the heads up...that makes more sense now.
    ~Antwain's Dad

Senior Super Moderator

Maybe WE Figured It Out Together! NOW I WONDER can the system be juked! Meaning you click on your account with your sons name and see how much stamps would cost you from that screen! You wouldn't have to buy any just see how much the stamp price is from there and see if there is a difference!? SORRY JPay but I am on The People Side...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

Yeah bummer mine were 50 for $10.00 now its $8.60 for 20 but I am thinking it is because I do write my live in Kansas. Blah I wonder if it would change if I removed him and bought them and added him back....I just don't want to chance losing my letters!!! This is dumb though because I have Michigan inmates too.

I knew I should have stocked up!!!

fate brought us together, now it is up to us to stay that way

Veteran Member

Okay I am a sneak...I removed my love in Kansas and bought stamps at the old price and so now I just have to add him back....
    I mean come on just because stamps are more in other states I still write people in MichiGAN!

Senior Super Moderator

That was going to be my next suggestion! OK NOW TELL US PLEASE did your stamps remain the same amount when you added the name back!?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Super Moderator

My Next Thought Is when you write a letter to the more expensive state check and see if your stamp count only goes down by one it should a stamp is a stamp, curious. I will explain what I read somewhere when they install the systems into a facility or state the ones who use it "Inmates Families" pay for the installed system and that is why the stamps are more expensive when the system is paid for they give better deals on the purchase price of the stamps also when you buy quanity you see a difference. Don't hold me to what I said but I know I read it somewhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

I will have to remove him when I get my stamps!! Price went higher once I added him. It does not charge an additional stamp to send him a letter...

I hope he was not worried. I am at work and left him off for a couple hours!! and of course it is around the time he checks!!

Senior Super Moderator

Blame it on JPay! It won't be a lie...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Veteran Member

I don't know why it's doing that to ya'll with loved ones in different states, I have family in different states that I write to and it doesn't charge me anymore to buy stamps no matter what state I'm writing to...I copied this exactly from my purchase stamps page less than 5 minutes ago:

$5.00 (Purchases 20 Stamps)
    $7.50 (Purchases 32 Stamps)
    $10.00 (Purchases 50 Stamps)

If I keep pulling on my big girl panties, the elastic is gonna give out and then I will be forced to show my butt anyway.

Senior Super Moderator

Don't rub it in willsprincess Ok lets compare what states you got lisited on your account if you don't mind sharing? I have Colorado and need to remove New Mexico will post stamp prices later, As I have been at the hospital all day on my cell phone My Husband just got out of surgery an hour ago and I am waiting for the ok to go back and be with him
    Posted via Mobile Device

Just a quick confirmation of what happened with me earlier.....

I removed my friend in Indiana from my inmate list.

Stamp prices on the "Buy Postage" screen went back down the the previous prices.

I bought more stamps.

I added my Indiana friend back to my inmate list.

I checked the stamp prices and they were back up to the higher prices.

I wrote a letter to my friend in Indiana and it used up the appropriate number of stamps (I wrote a 2 page letter....it deducted 2 stamps).

So, it seems all good. Apparently Indiana is the most expensive state regarding JPay stamps. I haven't sent any money through JPay to my friend in Indiana for a few months so I don't know if those fees are more expensive now or not and don't plan to since he gets released on 2/24/2011. How weird though that the prices are different like that.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your thoughts, help, research, and insight!!!
    ~Antwain's Dad

I love when I read people posting and helping each other!!! Its exactly why I come to these boards

its still the regular price for me as well.
    Hoping and waiting

Senior Super Moderator

I am glad WE ALL got that one figured out Together, cause I was all thought out!
    Posted via Mobile Device

I know, right?

Thank you, everybody!!!!
    ~Antwain's Dad

Veteran Member

I have Michigan and Kansas.

I have to remove Kansas to get the cheaper stamps!

Or you can set up two accounts, using two different email addresses.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat78 View Post

$4 gets you 10 letters
    $8 gets you 21 letters
    $16 gets you 43 letters

We do too, I prefer old school!
    He is finally home after 21 years! Praise God!!!

Veteran Member

what the benefit of snail mail?

Veteran Member

I use snail mail. It's cheaper to me.

To me the benefit is that I can fit more pages in one envie for one stamp versus using jpay and each page costing me a stamp.

Veteran Member

LOL I am a nerd...I so thought it was another way to send mail electronically!!

See I will take longer getting a letter mailed out so I jpay everyday.

Stamps are the same for mines and i am in michigan too. Sorry, make sure you check it out.

Twains Dad:

I am new to this, first night on this site. I am curious about how the stamps work, I understand that they expire in 30 days, is that true?
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by SherriO View Post
    Twains Dad:

I am new to this, first night on this site. I am curious about how the stamps work, I understand that they expire in 30 days, is that true?
    Sherri
    I don't think the stamps expire after 30 days, atleast in Michigan they don't.

I purchased my stamps almost 4months ago and they have not expired so in Michigan they don't expire after 30 days.
    's wife
    Stand by my man 100%

Being happy doesn't mean every things perfect,
    it just means you've decided to look beyond the imperfection

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information