+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Exclamation Mini-tablet for Prisons / JP4

Inmate Communications, JPay News, Prison News

Mini-tablet for Prisons Now Available in Louisiana and Virginia!

Posted by: Editor on Feb 4, 2013 | 14 Comments
    First the big game in the Big Easy, now the big player for the big house!
    JPay's revolutionary mini-tablet, the JP4, is now available for purchase in all Louisiana state correctional facilities. You can also buy the JP4 player for a Louisiana inmate online at JPay.com. Additionally, all Louisiana facilities now allow inmates to browse and buy digital music on the JPay kiosks installed in the living units.

Six prisons in Virginia have also begun offering the JP4 for sale. Just like in Louisiana, inmates can purchase the players directly from the kiosk using their commissary funds, or their friends and family members can purchase one on their behalf from JPay.com.

The JP4 device is a mini tablet computer designed and built for the correctional environment. It features a responsive touch screen, a built-in music player, an FM tuner, a calendar, and comes pre-loaded with several games and other applications. At the low price of just $49.99, the JP4 is simultaneously one of the most affordable and most powerful personal media devices available to inmates today.

How to buy a JP4 for an inmate

If you have a loved one in Virginia or Louisiana and you'd like to buy them a JP4, first
    • Click on the Music section
    • Use your debit or credit card to complete the purchase.
    The JP4 will be delivered directly to the inmate.

How to fund an inmate's media account

If you would like to add funds to your loved one's media account so they can purchase a JP4 or music tracks to play on it, first:
    • Click into the Music section
    • Click 'Send JPay Credits'
    • Follow the directions to send credits
    JPay Credits deposited into the media account are not subject to restitution or other deductions (like funds sent to commissary or spendable accounts), though the money can only be used for the purchase of media.

Where the JP4 is available in Louisiana (all prisons):

Allen Correctional Center (ALC)
    Avoyelles Correctional Center (AVC)
    BB 'Sixty' Rayburn Correctional Center (RCC)
    C. Paul Phelps Correctional Center (PCC)
    David Wade Correctional Center (WCC)
    Dixon Correctional Institute (DCI)
    Elayn Hunt Correctional Center (HCC)
    Forcht-Wade Correctional Center (FWC)
    J. Levy Dabadie Correctional Center (DCC)
    Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women (LCW)
    Louisiana State Penitentiary (LSP)
    Winn Correctional Center (WNC)

Where the JP4 is available in Virginia (six prisons and counting):

Sussex II State Prison
    Sussex I State Prison
    Nottoway Correctional Center
    Red Onion State Prison
    Wallens Ridge State Prison
    Keen Mountain Correctional Center
    Last edited by TexasDust; 02-14-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Wish they would offer this in Texas.

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by inlife.indeath View Post
    Wish they would offer this in Texas.
    They are priced right, compared to other devices offered from other companies, I wish Colorado, Utah & Nevada would offer them as well.

Senior Super Moderator

Lightbulb A little info on the JP4

Once the players are "assigned" by our Inventory Control Department song purchases will be-come available to the inmates.

1. Can the inmates hear the songs at the kiosk (JPay Terminal) when browsing the music list or is it just a list of music (songs and albums)?
    Yes, inmates will receive a 30 second window to preview songs at the kiosk and we strongly recommend that the inmate previews each song before purchasing the song. Please note that a player must be assigned to the inmate before they can preview music.

2. Do the music credits remain credits until he gets his JP4 and then they chose the songs at that time to download or if the songs can be purchased before the JP4 gets to them so all they have to do is down load what has already been picked out?
    Once a player has been assigned to the inmate, the inmate will be able to preview/purchase music. The music that the inmate purchase can take 24-48 hours to be available for downloading at the kiosk. The music will remain available to download until the inmate receives his/her player and connects it to the kiosk for downloading.

3. Can an inmate see if a JP4 has been purchased for them on their side / like in their Media Account?
    Inmates can confirm their purchased at the kiosk by reviewing their transactions. Unfortunately, inmates cannot see if a player was purchased for them by a friend or family member. To obtain confirmation for friends and family purchases, the inmate?s can send a trouble ticket to the Inmate Ticket Team to confirm if a player was ordered for them.

4. How is the music downloaded Meaning do they pick a song and then some-how it just shows up or do they hook up the JP4's to the terminal then pick songs?
    Once the inmate purchases a song and the song is available for downloading at the kiosk, the inmate will need to connect their player and the system will prompt them to download their available songs.

5. Do they have to have the JP4 with them at the JPay Terminal to pick out music?
    No, however in order to preview/purchase music the inmate must have a player assigned.

ugh! why cant texas have this? my husband would love to hear some good music!

Texas is so behind I would just be glad if they feed them like humans.

haven't heard that PA has this either.

What about Coastal State Prison in Garden City, Georgia?

Senior Super Moderator

Sorry no not at this time.

When the JP4 starts rolling out in other states we will post the information on each state sub-forum

they dont get the chargers with them and it eats batteries like crazy

darlin_angel

Me too I wonder how they will charge them if they can't have the charger also
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDust View Post
    They are priced right, compared to other devices offered from other companies, I wish Colorado, Utah & Nevada would offer them as well.

Senior Super Moderator

I don't know anything about a charger it shows in the picture 3 components that are included in the package the usb cord the ear mics and don't know what that thing is suppose to be in the middle. Here is the contact number to call and see about a charger (?)

mail Us Call or Write Us

Call or Write Us

24 Hour Customer Support (800) 574-5729

Mailing Address JPay, Inc.
    12864 Biscayne Blvd. Suite 243
    Miami, FL 33181

Default The Charger is...

The cord on the left is multi function. It can be pluged into a kiosk to download music, and also plugged into the power adapter (photo in the middle) and plugged into an electrical outlet for charging.

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by seattle View Post
    The cord on the left is multi function. It can be pluged into a kiosk to download music, and also plugged into the power adapter (photo in the middle) and plugged into an electrical outlet for charging.

It looked like an electric adapter but from the angle the picture was taken didn't know if it is what they used to plug into the kiosk or if it was the usb cord.

So if your saying they are not getting the power adapter I would call JPay and tell them also I wonder do the inmates have electric plugs that can even use to plug the adapter into...

where steve is, you can not plug in to wall to charge, only batteries

Veteran Member

Hello,
    The JP4 has capability to use e-mail but my friend is not able to use it for that purpose. I called JPay support service and I was told that the state of Louisiana has not approved the JP4 for e-mail, therefore, it is up to the state if the approve it to be used for e-mail or not. Just sharing this piece of information with you all.

Default General Info, Email, Batteries/Charging

After many calls to customer support, I was able to get a consensus on the info. Keep in mind most of the questions were geared toward Washington State.

JP4 Applications that come on the player:
    • Music--Average price is close to $1.99 per song--
    • FM Radio--Free--
    • Calculator--Free--
    • Two Puzzle Games--Free--
    • Email (Coming Soon)--Same price we already pay--
    • Ebooks (Coming Soon)--Price unknown?--

1) Email.. These tablets don't do wifi, nor would prisons ever allow that. Once approved, our inmates will plug them into the kiosk and download the emails/attached pictures to keep on the tablet. Then they can type replies from the comfort of their cells or wherever they want and upload them to be sent out when they next use the kiosk.

2) Batteries/Charger.. Apparently, there are two types of JP4 players. Those that take AA batteries but don't come with a wall charger and those that have a rechargeable battery pack inside and come with the wall charger. Some states allow electrical outlets in the cells, some don't. The states that don't allow electrical outlets in the cells will be getting the AA eating JP4 version, while the fortunate ones with electricity can just plug it in and recharge the unit. However, both versions will come with the supplied set of earbuds and USB cable for the kiosk.

I was told all Washington facilities are live for the JP4 players. Take TexasDust's advice and call JPAY customer service to ask questions about your specific state and facility for the best answers.

Luis Mier

Thanks for the information , its really cool ...

I heard, in WA, that IF you get a JP4 player, all of your music will not be able to be transferred from your JP3 player. And you do not get to keep your JP3 player, you must return it before your receive your JP4 player. Good news is you get a $5 credit for the exchange

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ineeld View Post
    After many calls to customer support, I was able to get a consensus on the info. Keep in mind most of the questions were geared toward Washington State.

JP4 Applications that come on the player:
    • Music--Average price is close to $1.99 per song--
    • FM Radio--Free--
    • Calculator--Free--
    • Two Puzzle Games--Free--
    • Email (Coming Soon)--Same price we already pay--
    • Ebooks (Coming Soon)--Price unknown?--

1) Email.. These tablets don't do wifi, nor would prisons ever allow that. Once approved, our inmates will plug them into the kiosk and download the emails/attached pictures to keep on the tablet. Then they can type replies from the comfort of their cells or wherever they want and upload them to be sent out when they next use the kiosk.

2) Batteries/Charger.. Apparently, there are two types of JP4 players. Those that take AA batteries but don't come with a wall charger and those that have a rechargeable battery pack inside and come with the wall charger. Some states allow electrical outlets in the cells, some don't. The states that don't allow electrical outlets in the cells will be getting the AA eating JP4 version, while the fortunate ones with electricity can just plug it in and recharge the unit. However, both versions will come with the supplied set of earbuds and USB cable for the kiosk.

I was told all Washington facilities are live for the JP4 players. Take TexasDust's advice and call JPAY customer service to ask questions about your specific state and facility for the best answers.
    GREAT Info!

Thank You!

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg1337 View Post
    I heard, in WA, that IF you get a JP4 player, all of your music will not be able to be transferred from your JP3 player. And you do not get to keep your JP3 player, you must return it before your receive your JP4 player. Good news is you get a $5 credit for the exchange
    Yes I heard that is how it is too, I am assuming the facilities won't allow them to have two of them, it would have to be a choice which one has more value if one has a lot of music downloaded I would just keep the old one with all the downloads that were already paid for, too bad they can't just move over the downloads to the new JP4 player from the JP3 player. But the JP4 player is really nice so I guess I would have to figure out which one would benefit me more (?)

There are some people that have 400+ songs (accumulated over time of course) and WA DOC will not allow them to have both. So lose ~$800 worth of music and get a JP4 or stick with the JP3. Some have ordered their HP4 without knowing they cannot transfer and/or keep both so they canceled their orders.

Default Transfer Purchased Music from JP3 to JP4

Having purchased a JP4 player for my brother in WA state last week, I was a little alarmed by the post. Not because I didn't believe previous posters but because it seemed extremely unethical on the part of JPay not to transfer songs that had already been purchased. Especially since they are so expensive to begin with, not to mention most of us are already spending an arm and a leg on our inmate loved ones.

So this morning I called and spoke with 3 different customer service reps on my way to work to triple check what is up with the transfers. All three said the same thing. The songs can be transferred, which is pretty good news!

This is how your inmate will do it.

1)Order JP4
    2)Like others have mentioned, you can't have two players at once. So before you turn in your JP3 player, submit a "trouble ticket"/"help ticket" from the kiosk, stating that you purchased a JP4 player and would like to transfer the songs.
    3)Turn in your JP3 player before the JP4 player arrives.
    4)JPay said once they get the trouble/help ticket with request, they will send the songs back to the kiosk for re-downloading to the new JP4 player.

Hope this helps. Again, the same info came from 3 completely different reps, so I'd like to believe they are telling me the truth. Haha, we will see. Good luck to all.

How hard is it to get other prisons to accept this? My loved one is in Indiana at New castle, and I know he would love this. Are they working on Indiana at all to accept this?

Quote: Only To The Extent That We Express Ourselves Over And Over To Annihilation Can That Which Is Indestructible Be Found In Us, By Pema Chodron

Senior Super Moderator

Having purchased a JP4 player for my brother in WA state last week, I was a little alarmed by the post. Not because I didn't believe previous posters but because it seemed extremely unethical on the part of JPay not to transfer songs that had already been purchased. Especially since they are so expensive to begin with, not to mention most of us are already spending an arm and a leg on our inmate loved ones.

So this morning I called and spoke with 3 different customer service reps on my way to work to triple check what is up with the transfers. All three said the same thing. The songs can be transferred, which is pretty good news!

1)Order JP4
    2)Like others have mentioned, you can't have two players at once. So before you turn in your JP3 player, submit a "trouble ticket"/"help ticket" from the kiosk, stating that you purchased a JP4 player and would like to transfer the songs.
    4)JPay said once they get the trouble/help ticket with request, they will send the songs back to the kiosk for re-downloading to the new JP4 player.

Hope this helps. Again, the same info came from 3 completely different reps, so I'd like to believe they are telling me the truth. Haha, we will see. Good luck to all.
    Well that is Great to know!

As I talked with a couple people before JP4's went out and that was my question and when I heard no transfers of songs it became a concern I voiced, along with the thought if inmates couldn't have two what were they going to get for the one they had if they wanted to upgrade.

I really feel good now, that JPay would do that!

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MissFrankie View Post
    How hard is it to get other prisons to accept this? My loved one is in Indiana at New castle, and I know he would love this. Are they working on Indiana at all to accept this?

I believe JPay is hoping all state DOC's would take consideration of their Services & Products they have to offer the prison industry.

Just like they would hope everyone that has a loved one inside or on their way out know that they have services to help with money transfers to the ones incarcerated and to make payments to parole and I think court costs to along with email and post to mail services.

Here are a few Services that not many people may know about that JPay has:

Parole & Probation

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDust View Post
    I believe JPay is hoping all state DOC's would take consideration of their Services & Products they have to offer the prison industry.

Just like they would hope everyone that has a loved one inside or on their way out know that they have services to help with money transfers to the ones incarcerated and to make payments to parole and I think court costs to along with email and post to mail services.

Here are a few Services that not many people may know about that JPay has:

Parole & Probation
    A lot of states allow to pay fines/restitution online on their own website for free. I know Colorado does (but it pissed off DOC collections that I paid that way). I actually went to 9News asking why parolees would be forced to pay a fee when everyone else gets to do it for free online. The reporter called me but never followed up on the story...so I went ahead and paid it online anyway. It's paid off now so not much they can complain about.

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    A lot of states allow to pay fines/restitution online on their own website for free. I know Colorado does (but it pissed off DOC collections that I paid that way). I actually went to 9News asking why parolees would be forced to pay a fee when everyone else gets to do it for free online. The reporter called me but never followed up on the story...so I went ahead and paid it online anyway. It's paid off now so not much they can complain about.
    I need to find the link that is on the Colorado sub-forum that takes you to the CO site that shows you the amount owed on court fines I am wondering what the difference is from 10 years ago to now, I am sure with the 20% the DOC takes out towards fines and restitution has to have made a difference on the $ amount.

1)Order JP4

THANKS for the info!

A question for you since your brother is in WA.... how did YOU order it for him? I do not see a link to order the JP4 since my husband already has a JP3. Do they have to order it?

Default How to buy a Jp4 if you already have Jp3

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg1337 View Post
    THANKS for the info!

A question for you since your brother is in WA.... how did YOU order it for him? I do not see a link to order the JP4 since my husband already has a JP3. Do they have to order it?
    I finally got the correct info on how to get a Jp4 if an inmate already has a Jp3

It turns out they are very strict about not letting inmates have two players. So, your loved one that owns a JP3 must return it first by submitting a "request or notice" to the "help team" from the kiosk. Once the Jp3 player is returned, then you will be able to buy a JP4. The option will then show up on the Jpay website for us to purchase or the inmate can, if he has the credits on his Jpay media account. Once again, they told me all of the previously bought music will be sent back to kiosk for re-download to the new player once it arrives. Also, like others have said, inmates will get $5 for trading in the JP3.

Senior Super Moderator

I finally got the correct info on how to get a Jp4 if an inmate already has a Jp3

Once again, they told me all of the previously bought music will be sent back to kiosk for re-download to the new player once it arrives. Also, like others have said, inmates will get $5 for trading in the JP3.
    Yea!!!!

I am So Happy about this you don't even know!

I almost want to cry Lol!

my wife is in jail in Ohio. Administration allowed to pass without a problem player. need to find out in advance. online prison rules.

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joeles View Post
    my wife is in jail in Ohio. Administration allowed to pass without a problem player. need to find out in advance. online prison rules.
    hi,

Here is a link to the Ohio DOC Website but this is for the Prisons http://www.drc.ohio.gov/

Here is a link to the Service Side of JPay where you can see if the facility where she is at allows them http://www.jpay.com/PAvail.aspx
    Last edited by TexasDust; 12-24-2013 at 08:31 PM.

This thread caught my attention when I saw Texas. Wishful thinking. Maybe in the new few years Texas will jump on board. Thanks so much for all the information shared.

Senior Super Moderator

Smile

It would be nice if they were available in each state

Thank You, the information shared is a group effort

Glad you could join us, Welcome to the forum...

My LO is hearing rumors that theres to be an upgraded Jplayer he now have JP4 but hes heard theres a bigger tablet coming out that you can upgrade to and wants information. Is this so and can anyone tell me the facts if it is please. thank you - hes in ohio.

Senior Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snugelkin View Post
    My LO is hearing rumors that theres to be an upgraded Jplayer he now have JP4 but hes heard theres a bigger tablet coming out that you can upgrade to and wants information. Is this so and can anyone tell me the facts if it is please. thank you - hes in ohio.

I haven't heard anything yet...

JPay went from the JP3 Players to the JP4 Tablet

If/When JPay has any new products they will Post the information to the forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information