Closed Thread

Default reciving an inmates call to a prepaid cell

I was wondering if a call can be recieved to a pre-paid cell phone from SDCC. I have a friend there and he wants to call me there but they asked for a physcial address where the cell phone is registered to-- I cant answer that because since the phone is a pre-paid cell I never had to give a physcial address when I got the phone.

That is odd....I get prepaid calls to my cell from across the street at HDSP. When you set it up with ICSolutions just give them your mailing address when they ask. That should work....I don't remember having to give my address for the cell just for my method of payment.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by AttorneyGirl2Be View Post
    That is odd....I get prepaid calls to my cell from across the street at HDSP. When you set it up with ICSolutions just give them your mailing address when they ask. That should work....I don't remember having to give my address for the cell just for my method of payment.
    I think she is talking about a pre-paid cell phone, not pre-paid calls. Pre-paid cell phones are not usually attached to an specific address but I don't see why you just can't give them your street address for him to be able to call you.

Yes that is what I was talking about...it being a prepaid cell phone. I know a lot of people with different prepaid cell services like criket, metro pcs, etc. and they are all able to get calls from a facility. Just use your real address or mailing address when setting up and making a payment with icsolutions

I have a prepaid cell phone with a company called Straight Talk (from Wal-Mart of all places...lol) which is the prepaid version for Verizon. Anyway, I'm set up to receive calls. All I do is buy a $100 Visa gift card, register the gift card online to my address and then call IC Solutions and give them all of the information. I haven't had any problems. As a matter of fact the call quality is much better than Evercom was at CCDC and that was with my prepaid cell phone also. It costs more now(4.15 per call) but it works. Hope this helps.
    Cotton Ball loves Smooth

what i use to get call with my metro is t-netix which is a good company you have to set up and account and have a house phone but you can set it to your phone they just need a adress and person you name its in then you add money to phone at amscot thats how i do

happy

I use Ear 2 Ear for my local number and I can have the number ring where ever I want. They charge $5.00 a month service fee and $1.50 per call. I also pay IC Solutions the local call rate of $1.45 per call.

They are much cheaper than the $4.15 per call that you are paying!!!

www.callear2ear.com

..finally with my husband after 3 years of waiting! ♥ YAHHOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    I use Ear 2 Ear for my local number and I can have the number ring where ever I want. They charge $5.00 a month service fee and $1.50 per call. I also pay IC Solutions the local call rate of $1.45 per call.

They are much cheaper than the $4.15 per call that you are paying!!!

www.callear2ear.com
    $1.50 per call and $1.45 for ICS fee? That's still too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sei View Post
    $1.50 per call and $1.45 for ICS fee? That's still too much.
    I TOTALLY AGREE....there isn't a big enough discount to go through all of the hassle to set it up with them. In my case it would be barely saving a $1 a call....by the time I pay all the fees and monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by AttorneyGirl2Be View Post
    I TOTALLY AGREE....there isn't a big enough discount to go through all of the hassle to set it up with them. In my case it would be barely saving a $1 a call....by the time I pay all the fees and monthly fee.
    ..and considering I am a state away from my husband and talk to him about 7-15 times a day, that's paying double what I'm paying now, PER CALL! -

It's best to sign up for a program with a virtual phone number nearest the prison and pay just one flat fee (range anywhere from 9.99 - 14.99/month) for unlimited calls and NO PER CALL fees! ear2ear sounds similar to local123, who I started off with, and will NEVER make that expensive mistake again!

I always swear by Vonage. When I was in UK I was paying them a monthly fee which was really inexpensive and then for a virtual number. Then it was just $1.45 per call.
    You can get a Vonage phone with a virtual local number (Reno is closest) and it will still be less expensive than all these other companies. Once you have it all set up on your computer you can forward it to your cell.
    Go to Vonage.com and take a look

Is there a difference between Vonage and Google Voice? Because google voice is completely free and you pick a "local" number and everyone can get it now.....you no longer have to have an invite. I picked a google number that is very very close to the HDSP numbers but I am waiting for my man to call it. Until then I am still paying 4.15 a call. But I was just curious if Vonage is different I will check out if so and see if that can be an option for me to get the 1.45 flat rate!!!! That would be AWESOME! LOL...

Oh and you can have it ring several different numbers when someone calls the GV #...which seems neat, you can have it ring house, cell, and work if you want!

Vonage also does the thing where you can have it diverted to many different numbers at once. I'm not sure about google voice - I've heard good and bad about it. I also call the UK from my vonage here and all my calls are free to 60 different countries - handy as I have family in UK, Sweden and Ireland.

..by far, Vonage sounds like the plan! Will look into as we have family all over the globe, as well..

I had referred a friend in Canada to Vonage for an account and a virtual number to get calls in from NSP..

We should get some type of referral fee don't ya think? heh

Hey himandi!!! I hope visiting went well this weekend.. Still counting down the WEEKS!!! I think I'm gonna puke!!!

Hey Sei
    I'm incredibly jealous but very happy for you. I'm sure the nerves are kicking in but it will all be fine. How long is it now? I know you're on a countdown.
    See you soon hopefully.... 'himself' sends his regards.

Veteran Member

I use Vonage as well and the occasional ear2ear when I am traveling since it seems like I have done so much in the last month...lol...I like Vonage because they charge $5 per month for the virtual number and then the BF only has to pay the $1.45 from IC Solutions (something you will never get around paying)...so yeah, I like Vonage and the call quality is very good too.

I just realized there was a 2nd page to this thread so I kinda jumped the gun but since most of the posts are older, I'm leaving my post as is in case something newer and/or better has come along....

I have looked online and can't find a company that offers a flat fee. My boyfriend was just sent to NNCC Thursday.....any suggestions? And if I do use a company w/ a flat fee, do I still have to pay ICSolutions?
    I spoke with the woman who started ear2ear and was actually excited to find out I can save almost $2/call I would've been excited over $1/call!
    Even @ 1 call per day, depending on the sentence, saving a buck a call is a hell of a benefit.
    Unless you're rollin in dough, which I'm not, every penny saved, is well worth it....that's money towards future calls.
    And ANYTHING is better than Evercom!!!!
    So, since I kinda muddled my point, is there a company that offers a flat rate for calls from NNCC?
    Last edited by standingbyCB; 07-17-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Also, kinda off topic but.... the woman who started ear2ear started it because her husband is in prison....I believe she said he's been there for 18yrs... So while I'm sure profit was part of her motivation, it's not her ONLY motivation which is the case w/ IC solutions, Evercom, local123 etc.
    If the prices are close, supporting a business that was started for the right reasons AND is owned by someone who's doing time w/ their spouse/loved one like the rest of us kinda makes it worth it, IMO

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by standingbyCB View Post
    I have looked online and can't find a company that offers a flat fee. My boyfriend was just sent to NNCC Thursday.....any suggestions? And if I do use a company w/ a flat fee, do I still have to pay ICSolutions?
    I spoke with the woman who started ear2ear and was actually excited to find out I can save almost $2/call I would've been excited over $1/call! Even @ 1 call per day, depending on the sentence, saving a buck a call is a hell of a benefit.
    Unless you're rollin in dough, which I'm not, every penny saved, is well worth it....that's money towards future calls.
    ANYTHING is better than Evercom!!!!
    So, since I kinda muddled my point, is there a company that offers a flat rate for calls from NNCC?

I would go with Vonage then. They can give you a local number to NNCC, its only $5 a month to have that. Unfortunately, you will always have to pay the $1.45 per call from ICSolutions since that is something the state makes the inmate pay for each phone call leaving the institution.

i go thur pat live matt loves serena

Default Phone calls

How do you get started? Does HDSP inmates have to have the numer approved first before they can call? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap service that i could use? If so please let me know

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    How do you get started? Does HDSP inmates have to have the numer approved first before they can call? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap service that i could use? If so please let me know

When an inmate makes their first phone call, there is an automated process to get your phone number on their phone list. So, I wouldn't call it "approval" per se but they do track which numbers you are calling. And no, the number doesn't have to be approved before they call. My bf, when I got my number, just went to the phone and dialed me...then, since it was a new phone number, there are some questions they need to answer I believe on their end but its' straight forward.

For my home phone, I use Vonage. Because i live in PA, I got a local virtual number from them. It costs me $5 a month, gives me a local 775 exchange (if you are calling HDSP, I think it would be a 702 exchange right?) and he can call me for $1.95 (which I think is the cost of a local phone call) You also have to set up an account with ICSolutions (or he can call prepaid) ICSolutions is the company the state uses to monitor all phone calls leaving the inmate phones. In this instance, you HAVE to use them, they run the show.

If you have a cell phone and want a local number too...I have used ear2ear. They charge $5 per month and a flat rate of $1.50 per phone call. And then of course, always the ICSolutions for that as well.

Hope that helps!

This is a funny thread. I have a pre paid cell in which my partner calls when he can afford it. calls to me cost around $20 each for 10 min. so i wish i could get 10 calls a day lol that would be all of my wages. but all is good snail mail, email and a call once a month or 2 i have to be happy with that living in another country

Quote Originally Posted by Needtoseemyman View Post
    This is a funny thread. I have a pre paid cell in which my partner calls when he can afford it. calls to me cost around $20 each for 10 min. so i wish i could get 10 calls a day lol that would be all of my wages. but all is good snail mail, email and a call once a month or 2 i have to be happy with that living in another country
    I am from another country. I use skype it cost $80 a year for a number. I got mine in a town 10 clicks away from El Dorado and it is a local call for my loved one to ring me. I have a loved one in Port phillip so I am about to get another number local to Laverton so he can ring and it would only cost him .50
    Your lucky that he is able to ring overseas. Eric wasnt allowed to ring me until I had an american number. I dont mind because it is a lot cheaper doing it the way I am. Actually none of my inmates could so you are pretty lucky.
    No, we don't keep Koala's as pets, we don't ride Kangaroos to school and there is no such thing as drop bears. We do love our barbies and beer so if you ever come down under have a drink on me.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Needtoseemyman View Post
    ear2ear will forward a local number to any type of phone that you have, even the pre-paid cell phones. $5 a month and $1.50 per 30 min phone call sounds pretty good to me on my end...he would only have to pay the $1.95 to ICSolutions.

hello happy i see that you say ear2ear charges 5 a month and 1.50 per call on a local number..do u mean local number as in anywhere in nevada or local as in were the prison is located? if u understand what i mean..im haing trouble trying to kno how i will be getting calls when my husband goes to prison at high desert..and i wanted to be ready to reseve calls plz if you know anything let me kno thank you

Veteran Member

Global Tel Link won't allow calls to a prepaid phone. I tried.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladyzo View Post
    Global Tel Link won't allow calls to a prepaid phone. I tried.
    NV uses ICSolutions, they don't care if it goes to a cell, pre-paid or otherwise. They just won't reimburse you for any dropped calls because there is no way to tell if it was their lines or the cell phones.

Closed Thread

Thread Information