+ Reply to Thread

Default Inmate Accounts - Money Transfers

Can anyone tell me if they have transferred money to their inmate via Jpay that hasn't posted? I transferred money over two weeks ago and the money hasn't been made available to my son yet? He hasn't gotten in trouble and he stated that others in his unit are also having the same problem.

Veteran Member

I haven't had any problems before with JPay money. I'll have to see...I put money on last week and he normally has access to it within 3 or 4 days so when I visit tomorrow I'll ask him. You may want to call JPay directly and see what they say...
    Determine the thing that can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way. -Abraham Lincoln

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Here are a few things The JPay Support Help, Service Page has up about money transfers and the money being available, maybe it might help in some way.
    http://www.jpay.com/Support.aspx

When will the inmate receives the funds I?ve sent?
    JPay is known as the fastest money transfer service in the industry, but the specific time the inmate receives the funds is partially determined by the facility?s disbursement schedule. Usually, any money you send will get to the inmate within 48 hours. To view the disbursement schedule at your inmate?s facility, visit JPay.com and click on "Availability & Pricing."

How do I check on the status of my payment?
    You can log on to your JPay account and see the status of your transaction anytime by clicking on "Money" then on "Transfer History" The status will appear to the right of the transaction.

How do I cancel a Money Transfer?
    Locate the transaction you wish to cancel in "Transaction History" and click "Cancel". If you do not see a "Cancel" button, the funds have already been sent to the inmate.

When are the funds available to the inmate?
    If your transaction status shows as "Sent" this means that the inmate has access to the funds.

Thank you. I have never had a problem. This is the first time. I will check with Jpay.

Jpay has a great track record. A couple of times I've had issues where my girlfriend said it never posted. But then it did. And sometimes it posts, and the money is taken largely for restitution payments and they were not aware of it. But, you can always verify your transaction with jpay. But they can only let you know that the money was sent to the holding bank for the NDOC. It's a two step hop. Jpay to a holding bank. Then Carson City allocates it to the proper institution, then the institution notifies the inmate. So with a little perserverance, you can track your money. Most times, it gets to where it is supposed ot go.

Things that can cause delays:
    - Institutions are different as to when they will post money to an imates account. Once a week, twice a week, etc...
    - People do go on vacations and get sick. So if the money person from the institution does, it will be delayed.
    - Holidays and weekends affect the transaction times from Jpay, to the internal transfers within the NDOC

I am new to Jpay and wanted to get commissary money to my loved one at RDC. Everyone please be aware that when using your credit card, it is viewed as a cash advance so there will be additional charges to your card. For me it was an extra $10, so i spent $28.95 for my loved one to receive $15. Next time I'm going to try sending a money order in the mail to JPay in the hopes of only an extra $1.95 being added to the amount. I've also read on some much older forums that money orders can be sent to the facility, but I think that is no longer true. Stay tuned......

Money orders are sent to the NDOC in California and then put onto the inmates books. This can take up to 6 weeks. I did it a few times but it took too long to get there so we went back to using jpay. The cost of using jpay is high but as they have a stranglehold there is nothing to do but pay it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information