Exclamation F.A.Q.'s Prison Sentences & Release Dates

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Frequently Asked Questions
    Click On Link In Red To Get You To This Page

Prison Sentences & Release Dates

Who is eligible for parole?
    What is the 85% Law?
    What is Meritorious Earned Time (MET)?
    Who is not eligible for MET or the earned time allowance?

What is trusty earned time?
    Who is not eligible for 30/30 trusty earned time?
    What do the different dates mean on an inmate’s timesheet?
    What is Earned Release Supervision (ERS)?
    What if an inmate violates the terms of Earned Release Supervision (ERS)?

Who has the jurisdiction to revoke probation/post release supervision? parole, ISP (House Arrest), and Earned Release Supervision?

Prison

How many facilities does MDOC have and where are they located?
    Where do new inmates go when first moved from the local county jail to MDOC custody?
    What is Reception & Classification (R&C)?
    How does an offender request transfer to another facility?
    How long does a new inmate have to wait to call home?

How can I have my phone number placed on an offender’s approved call list?
    Who should I contact if an inmate is writing, calling or harassing me?

What custody levels do County Regional Facilities house?

What if I have a complaint about a County Regional Prison?
    What if I have a complaint about a Private Prison?
    What if I have a complaint about a State Prison?

Programs

What educational and treatment programs are offered by MDOC?
    How long is the Alcohol and Drug Program (A&D)?
    How does an inmate enter the Alcohol and Drug Program (A&D)?
    What is the Regimented Inmate Discipline (RID) Program?

How long does it take for an inmate to be assigned to the Regimented Inmate Discipline (RID) Program?
    Does MDOC provide inmates assistance with divorce proceedings?

What is the Administrative Remedy Program (ARP)?

Contacting & Visiting Inmates

How can an inmate be contacted in case of a family emergency?
    How can I send mail to an inmate?
    How can I send money to an inmate?
    What is the policy on visitation?

Can I take snacks or other items to an inmate when I visit?
    Is there a minimum age for visitors?

Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)

“House Arrest”

Who is eligible for the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)?
    How does an inmate or offender get into the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)?
    What is the Joint Placement Committee?
    When can an inmate on the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP) leave home?
    Can I keep beer, wine, or other alcohol in my house if an inmate lives with me who is on the Intensive Supervision Program?

Can I have a gun in my house if an inmate lives with me who is on the Intensive Supervision Program?

Interstate Compact

What is Interstate Compact?
    Who is not eligible for transfer to another state on Interstate Compact?
    What is the process for an Interstate Compact transfer for a parolee?
    What is the process for an Interstate Compact transfer to another state for a probationer?
    Can an inmate transfer from a corrections facility in Mississippi to one in another state?

Miscellaneous

How can I find out if someone has been sentenced to the Mississippi Department of Corrections?
    How can a victim be notified of an inmate’s release?
    How can I become involved as a religious volunteer to inmates?
    What is the procedure to marry an inmate?
    Are inmates housed at major institutions required to work?
    What kinds of inmates are housed at Community Work Centers and work in the community?
    What are the benefits of the American Correctional Association (ACA)?
    Who do I contact if my question is not listed here?

Prison Sentences & Release Dates

Who is eligible for parole?

An offender convicted of a crime committed after June 30 1995 who has never been convicted of violent crime as defined by Miss Code Ann 47-7-3 (1)(g) may be eligible for parole. An inmate convicted of a crime committed on or before June 30 1995, falls under different Parole Laws.

Miss Code Ann 47-7-3 Return

What is the 85% Law?

For non-mandatory crimes committed after June 30, 1995, an inmate may receive an earned time allowance of 15% of his sentence, less pre-sentence jail-time, if MDOC determines that the inmate has complied with the good conduct and performance requirements of the earned time allowance program.

Miss. Code 47-5-138(5) Return

What is Meritorious Earned Time (MET)?

Meritorious Earned Time (MET) is a up to 10 day reduction in sentence for every 30 days of successful participation in an educational, vocational or treatment program. Inmates are not eligible for MET for participation in a program if the inmate is already receiving trusty time for that program.

Miss Code 47-5-142 Return

Who is not eligible for MET or the 15% earned time allowance?

An inmate is not eligible to receive the earned time allowance if:

· Sentenced to life in prison

· Convicted as a habitual offender.

· Convicted of a sex crime

· Convicted of armed robbery or attempted armed robbery, armed carjacking

Miss Code 47-5-139 Return

What is trusty earned time?

Effective April 28, 2004 an inmate in trusty status may receive a 30 day reduction in sentence for every 30 days in trusty status. Inmates who were in trusty status as of April 28, 2004 and who are not eligible for 30/30 trusty time receive a 10 day reduction in sentence for every 30 days in trusty status.

Miss Code 47-5-138.1 Return

Who is not eligible for 30/30 trusty earned time?

An inmate is not eligible to receive 30/30 trusty earned time if:

· Sentenced to life in prison

· Convicted as a habitual offender

· Convicted of a sex crime

· Convicted of armed robbery, attempted armed robbery, armed carjacking or drive by shooting.

· Convicted of a drug crime under Miss. Code Ann. Section 41-29-139(a) and sentenced under Section 41-29-139(b) or (f)

· Convicted of trafficking in controlled substances under Miss. Code Ann. Section 41-29-139(g).

Miss Code 47-5-138.1 Return

What do the different dates mean on an inmate’s timesheet?

Maximum Discharge date is the date an offender will have served the entire length of his sentence.

Tentative Discharge date is the Maximum Discharge date minus any Trusty Time or Meritorious Earned Time.

Earned Release Supervision (ERS) date is the Maximum Discharge Date minus the 15% earned time allowance, trusty time and meritorious earned time. Return

What is Earned Release Supervision (ERS)?

ERS is a “conditional release” and the ERS date does not mean that the inmate will automatically be released on that date. The ERS date is simply the “earliest possible date” minus any earned time that the offender can be released if ALL CONDITIONS for ERS are met. Click on ERS for more information.

Miss Code 47-5-138 Return

What if an inmate violates the terms of Earned Release Supervision (ERS)?

If an inmate violates the terms of Earned Release Supervision he may be revoked and returned to an MDOC facility. An Inmate revoked from Earned Release Supervision (ERS) must serve the remainder of the sentence and he is not given credit for the length of time he was in the community on ERS.

Miss Code 47-5-138 Return

Who has the jurisdiction to revoke probation/post release supervision, parole, ISP (House Arrest), and Earned Release Supervision?

The sentencing court has jurisdiction over probationers and post release supervision offenders.
    The parole board has jurisdiction over parolees.
    MDOC has jurisdiction over ERS and ISP (House Arrest) matters. Return
    Last edited by TexasDust; 08-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Senior Super Moderator
    ~Love is Stronger than "ANY" Wall Built by Man~

Prison

How many facilities does MDOC have and where are they located?

For a map of current facilities click here Facilities Map. MDOC Probation & Parole offices for a list of Community Corrections field offices. Return

Where do new inmates go when first moved from the local county jail to MDOC custody?

Most inmates are moved to the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF) in Rankin County to go through the classification process at Reception & Classification (R&C). Male Death Row inmates are moved immediately to the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman. Click on Offender Services Initial Classification for more information. Return

What is Reception & Classification (R&C)?

The Reception & Classification Center is located at the Central Mississippi Correction Facility (CMCF). R&C is the first stop for most new inmates sentenced to MDOC custody. The inmate is classified for behavior level and assessed for treatment needs. This initial classification process takes about 30 days. Once classified, inmates may transfer to another facility within the MDOC system. Click on Offender Services (Initial Class) for more information about the initial classification process. Return

How does an inmate request transfer to another facility?

The inmate must complete a transfer request form through the case manager. If the transfer request is approved, the offender’s name is placed on a waiting list and the inmate is moved when space becomes available. A mileage fee will be deducted from the inmate’s account for cost of the transfer. Return

How long does a new inmate have to wait to call home?

A new inmate can call home on the weekend after his first full week at Reception & Classification (R&C). Return

How can I have my phone number placed on an offender’s approved call list?

Upon entry into Reception & Classification (R&C), the inmate completes a form with the names and phone numbers of those individuals he would like to call. The offender is allowed to update his list every six months. Return

Who should I contact if an inmate is writing, calling or harassing me?

Contact the warden or superintendent where the inmate is housed. Click on MDOC Quick Reference for contact information. Return

What custody levels do County Regional Facilities house?

All County Regional facilities house medium custody level inmates. Return

What if I have a complaint about a County Regional Prison?

First contact the facility warden or county sheriff. Click on MDOC Quick Reference–bookmark Regional Facilities for contact information. If the problem is not resolved contact MDOC compliance officer for the facility. Compliance officer names and numbers are listed with the facility information on MDOC Quick Reference – bookmark Regional Facilities. Return

What if I have a complaint about a Private Prison?

Contact the MDOC Compliance Officer or Warden at the facility. Click on MDOC Quick Reference –bookmark Private Prisons for contact information. Return

What if I have a complaint about a State Prison?

Contact the Warden of the Area where the inmate is housed. Click on MDOC Quick Reference for contact information. Return

Programs

What educational and treatment programs are offered by MDOC?

Click on MSP Treatment for programs offered at the Mississippi State Penitentiary (MSP) at Parchman.

Click on CMCF Treatment for programs offered at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF) in Rankin County.

Click on SMCI Treatment for programs offered at the South Mississippi Correctional Institution (SMCI) in Greene County.

Click on MDOC Quick Reference and then click on the desired facility for information about programs at other facilities. Return

How long is the Alcohol and Drug Program (A&D)?

The Alcohol and Drug Program (A&D) ranges from 3 months to thirty (30) months. Return

How does an inmate enter the Alcohol and Drug Program (A&D)?

Inmates enter the Alcohol and Drug (A&D) Program by court order, referral by the parole board or MDOC staff. In addition, inmates can request entry to the program. Return

What is the Regimented Inmate Discipline (RID) Program?

The Regimented Inmate is a “boot camp” program for first time offenders sentenced by the courts. Upon successful completion of RID, the sentencing court may suspend the remainder of the inmate’s sentence and place him on probation. Click on (RID) for more information. Return

How long does it take for an inmate to be assigned to the Regimented Inmate Discipline (RID) Program?

The inmate is transferred to the Regimented Inmate Discipline (RID) Program after Initial Classification is completed based upon available bed space. Return

What is the Inmate Legal Assistance Program (ILAP)?

The Inmate Legal Assistance Program (ILAP) provides legal assistance to inmates. An inmate can receive assistance for legal questions by submitting an ILAP request form. ILAP provides legal answers to legal questions; however, ILAP staff does not represent or prepare legal work for the inmate. Click on ILAP for more information. Return

Does MDOC provide inmates assistance with divorce proceedings?

No. MDOC does not assist with divorces. Inmates should contact a private attorney. Return

What is the Administrative Remedy Program (ARP)?

The Administrative Remedy Program (ARP) is available to all inmates to file formal complaints about prison conditions/concerns. Click on ARP for more information about the Administrative Remedy Program. Return

Senior Super Moderator

Contacting & Visiting Inmates

How can an inmate be contacted in case of a family emergency.

Call the facility where the inmate is housed and ask to speak to the duty chaplain, warden or person in charge. Be prepared to give a name & phone number where you can be called back. Click on MDOC Quick Reference. for facility contact information. Return

How can I send mail to an inmate?

Click on Inmate Family Information Inmate Mail for the inmate mail policy. Return

How can I send money to an inmate?

All money for inmates must be in the form of a postal money order with the inmate’s name and MDOC#. Mail money orders to:

MDOC Inmate Accounts
    PO Box 544

Jackson MS 39205-0544

Click on Inmate Family Information for further information. Return

What is the policy on visitation?

Contact the facility where the offender is housed for visitation information. Click on MDOC Quick Reference for Facilities For facility contact information. For inmates housed at MSP, SMCI or CMCF, click on Inmate Family Information / Visitation for further information. Return

Can I take snacks or other items to an inmate when I visit?

No. Each facility allows the purchase of snack bags from the canteen or vending machine. Return

Is there a minimum age for visitors?

No. However, all visitors age fourteen (14) and older must be on the inmate’s visiting list, be pre-screened and approved for visitation. A state or federal issued ID must be presented at time of visitation. Return

Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)

“House Arrest”

Who is eligible for the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)?

A non-violent offender who has not been convicted of a felony committed after having been confined for the conviction of a felony on a previous occasion may qualify for the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP). Violent offenders are not eligible for ISP placement. Click on Intensive Supervision Program for more information. Return

How does an inmate or offender get into the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP)?

Offenders can be sentenced to ISP by the Court when first convicted. Eligible inmates are also reviewed by MDOC’s Joint Placement Committee and may be placed into the program. Return

What is the Joint Placement Committee?

The Joint Placement Committee consists of the Commissioner of Corrections (or designee), the Director of Offender Services and the Chairman of the Parole Board (or designee). This committee meets monthly to review eligible inmates for placement in the Intensive Supervision Program. Return

When can inmate in the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP) leave home?

ISP inmates are allowed to leave home for work, community service, church services, and for personal needs (doctor visits, haircuts, etc) as approved and scheduled by the ISP field officer. Return

Can I keep beer, wine, or other alcohol in my house if an inmate lives with me who is in the Intensive Supervision Program?

No. There can be no alcohol in the house where an inmate is in the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP). Return

Can I have a gun in my house if an inmate lives with me who is in the Intensive Supervision Program?

No. There can be no guns in the house where an inmate is in the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP) Return

Interstate Compact

What is Interstate Compact?

The Interstate Compact for Adult Offender Supervision is an agreement between states to provide supervision of adult probationers and parolees who are approved to live in another state. Click on Interstate Compact for more information. Return

Who is not eligible for transfer to another state on Interstate Compact?

Inmates released from incarceration under furlough, work release, Earned Released Supervision or the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP or “House Arrest” are not eligible. Only Probationers and Parolees are eligible for transfer under the Interstate Compact Agreement. Return

What is the process for an Interstate Compact transfer for a parolee?

The inmate must be granted parole before he is eligible to make an application for transfer to another state. The inmate completes an application with the case manager who forwards it to the Interstate Compact Division for processing. The Interstate Compact Division makes application to the receiving state to arrange the transfer. It can take up to 90 days for the process to be completed. Return

What is the process for an Interstate Compact transfer to another state for a probationer?

The probationer must apply for the transfer through the supervising field officer who forwards it to the Interstate Compact Division for processing. The Interstate Compact Division makes application to the receiving state to arrange the transfer. It can take from 90 – 120 days for the process to be completed. Return

Can an inmate transfer from a corrections facility in Mississippi to one in another state?

No. Mississippi is not a member of the Inmate Interstate Corrections Compact which provides for the transfer of inmates from one state to another. Return

Senior Super Moderator

Exclamation

Miscellaneous

How can I find out if someone has been sentenced to the Mississippi Department of Corrections?

Click on Inmate Search to search for active inmates.

Click on MS Parole Board parolee search to search for active parolees.

For all others contact the MDOC Records Department at 601-933-2889 Return

How can a victim be notified of an inmate’s release?

Contact Victim Services at 1-866-522-4087 or 601-359-5628. You may also go to the Crime Victims Notification Form on our web site to register to receive notification of an inmate’s release. Return

How can I become involved as a religious volunteer to inmates?

Contact a correctional facility and ask for the volunteer coordinator or chaplain. Volunteers go through an initial volunteer orientation to become certified to work in a prison. Click on Volunteering for further information. Return

What is the procedure to marry an inmate?

The inmate must contact the unit chaplain or case manager and make the request to get married. Return

Are inmates housed at major institutions required to work?

Yes. All inmates who are physically able must work. MDOC encourages inmates to develop a strong work ethic while incarcerated. Return

What kinds of inmates are housed at Community Work Centers and work in the community?

Inmates housed at Community Work Centers are incarcerated for non-violent crimes. Click on MDOC Quick Reference for a list of CWCs and links to each one. Return

What are the benefits of the American Correctional Association (ACA)?

The American Correctional Association (ACA) is an organization designed to promote improvement in the management of correctional agencies. It identifies a list of standards that address services, programs and operations for correctional agencies. Visit American Corrections Association web site for more information. Return

Who do I contact if my question is not listed here?

If your question is not listed here you may find the answer at Inmate Family Information. Click on Contact US for the departmental and personnel email address guide or the MDOC Quick Reference for telephone numbers. Return

MDOC QUICK REFERENCE

Mississippi Department of Corrections

Central Office

723 North President Street

Jackson Mississippi 39202

601-359-5600

Central Office Records: 601-973-3472

MSP (Parchman) Records: 662-745-6611, ext 2321

CMCF Records: 601-932-2880, ext 6243

SMCI Records: 601-394-5600, ext 1209

All media inquires should go to Communications @ 601-359-5689 Return

STATE FACILITIES