+ Reply to Thread

Question What do I say to someone in jail?

This is so new to me and its fair to say im ignorant to the things to do and not do. My Brother was jus sentenced Friday to a 20yr term. We are sooooo close. He is a part of my everyday life, its been really hard. However, He has always been my rock and I want so bad to be there for him. I have wrote 3 letters, assured he can call, an he has money on his books. I just dont want to make things harder on him... Do I tell him how much I miss him? Do I tell him what others are saying?(all good things) Does he wanna hear about who I run into? Can I still complain about my petty broken nail or long day at work? Do I tell him what our kids say an do? It may be easier... what not to say??? Please help....

snuggie'sgirl

I would write about all those things,honestly. When i used to write my man in prison he LOVED the letters where i just talked about the everyday happenings.things i may find boring,he enjoyed hearing about.Their world is very dull and monotonous in there.Very drab colors to look at,too.So i'd include pics from time to time of the family,places you go on vacation,etc etc. I will keep your brother in my prayers.

Thank you that helps and even more for the prayers!!!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by snuggie'sgirl View Post
    I would write about all those things,honestly. When i used to write my man in prison he LOVED the letters where i just talked about the everyday happenings.things i may find boring,he enjoyed hearing about.Their world is very dull and monotonous in there.Very drab colors to look at,too.So i'd include pics from time to time of the family,places you go on vacation,etc etc. I will keep your brother in my prayers.
    I agree. When my BF calls, he always ask about my day and I have to describe in detail what I did, who I spoke with, some of the goofy people I work with. And the best part is, he is truly interested in that kind of stuff and I suspect your brother would be too. It's a bot of normal for them in an abnormal situation.

keep him informed of your life, make sure he still feels apart of it. tell him everything you normally would. just make sure he doesnt feel like he is missing anything. look in the signifcant others page, things to do for your inmate. theres a list there of things to do. it gives some good advise an great ideas....even for a brother.

You all have been helpful... Thank you so much!

Veteran Member

I'm with everybody else. Write and talk to him as if he was still right there in your face. I'm saying this from experience. Just keep it real with him. Let him know that you will be there through all of this. If you want to talk hit me up. I understand where you coming from. I wish you luck and I will pray for your brother.
    I AM COMPLETELY COVERED IN YOUR LOVE AND I WILL NEVER GIVE IT UP.

Veteran Member

they want to know about all the mundane stuff because in there, any kind of news is interesting to them.
    let go, let God

---

---

---

"And stand together yet not too near together:
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow." - The Prophet

Veteran Member

Wow so sorry to hear that. He has a ways to go so just pace yourself.
    You dont want to go full force and then in year 5 it becomes too much and a drag or chore and you slow down to a drip.
    He will take breaks as well as he adjusts to his new life.
    Its hard I hope it gets better.
    We Rode it Out

This is the time your brother really needs you, you are his voice for the outside now, of course he would love to hear about what's going on in your life; there are to many men and women in the system who do not get the love from families like they should be getting, so please be there for your brother, yes, let him know about what's going on with your children, always remember whatever anyone has to say about the situation(being negative), tell them until they're in your shoes whatever they have to say is irrelevant. People make mistakes, that's part of living, so be there for him, no sorrows or pain, you still have your brother. Welcome him with open arms, and always pray god will give you no more than you can handle.

Thank u! I kno my bro first hand... nothing anyone can say or anything he can do to make me feel diff! I went to church the other day and to some up the message it was "If god brings you to it, he will bring you thru it sometimes he just has to get a message an get sin out of you" This helped a great deal. I will continue on this long journey to hold him down an pray for strength an his well being!

SheSoFreeSo

Wow Girl, 20 years is a stiff piece of time but you know what, men are adaptable and, as time goes by, he will adapt to his new surrounding. In the meantime, because laughter makes us feel good and smiles touch our fuzzy spots, include with your sendings things that will make him smile and, things that will make him laugh.

Veteran Member

He wants you to talk to him like he's not even away. Tell him you miss him and love him, and etc. But just tell him everything you would usually tell him. It will make him feel like he's not so alone.
    yeah, i'm in this crazy love for the long haul.

Rest in Peace, my dear sister.
    November 19th, 1983 - May 28th, 2011.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information