+ Reply to Thread

Thread: El Dorado RDU

Default El Dorado RDU

My son has just gone to prison for the first time and is in RDU at El Dorado and I'm going crazy with not knowing how he is. I read on their website that he can't have family visitation while in RDU but can he make phone calls or access to email through JPay? I wrote him a letter but don't know if he got it. I'm going crazy not knowing what I can do or when I can see him. I would like to purchase a prepaid calling card and mail him the pin code so he can call me but I don't know how to do this and I have a cell phone. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Jon'sMom

And they can call home after their list is approved only and that takes about 3-4 weeks I just went threw RDU with my husband and when he can call it is only for a 15 minute call on certain days and you can put money on his books from jpay site he will get it but for right now all you can do is wait and write alot it helps them to hear from home. hang in there any questions ask we are here to help hold each other thru the ups and the downs.
    I need the other part of my heart

Just went through RDU with my son. After RDU he stayed in El Dorado and we got to visit him that same week-end. You can request a full day visit once a month. Call ahead for that. It's hard not knowing what is going on but it gets better. The lady we talked to was super nice. We are on a 30 day temporary visitation list. Immediate family only. Just sent in our permanent visitation papers. We set up account through JPay so he can call our cell phones any time he is out, which is alot and he will need money to buy things. This is all new to us too.

RDU does not have access to jpay email. Sending them the PIN from a pre-paid calling card doesn't work in any of the Kansas facilities. While in RDU about all you can do is send letters until his calling list is approved.
    This is a KDOC link about phone calls-
    http://www.doc.ks.gov/facilities/inm...ate-telephone/
    There are other links on the side of this page that should answer a lot of questions.
    Here is ICSolutions link-
    http://www.icsolutions.com/
    You don't have to wait for him to call you first but you might want to make sure your number is on his list before you pay them.... There shouldn't be a problem though, Kansas has been good about putting almost whatever number the inmate wanted on there...
    NO, I'm not blonde.....I just seem like it sometimes.

OH! ...And jpay doesn't offer phone service to Kansas DOC facilities....They DO provide in AnD out going email to all facilities except RDU or if the inmate is in lockdown.

...Another thing the CHEAPEST way to send money to their books is to ask the inmate to send you a deposit slip and then send a money order or cashier's check to Lansing KS. The address is on the deposit slip. The mail in KDOC is pretty prompt so it should only take a couple days to to post to their books.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm just overwhelmed with this whole process and not knowing. Mac1970, did you have to send in the visitation request paperwork? I mean how did you get the papers? Is that something my son has to do or is this something I can do?

Thanks,

Jon'sMom

He got papers for visitation in RDU but can't turn in until he gets out of there. They are temorary papers for 30 days. Then you turn in permanent papers later. Call down there and ask questions they were really supportive. It's hard not knowing a thing and wishing you never had to learn all of this.We called ElDorado when he got released from RDU and talked to visitation line .He had money on his account that was transfered from county so he could get calling card and we did JPay which is fast. He got to call that day.What a relief....

you have to go through i c solutions and get a account set up for perpaid calls and yes you can use your cell phone some of the calls are pricy you can ask them what the connection fee is and how much a min it is. it depends on your location

My boyfriend was just sent to rdu this morning and im freaking out because i know nothing about it other then its to classify him for prison. I know they have lockdown thats lke 23 hours in an 1 hour out. Can someone please just give me some information.Im worried sick about him and would like all the advice i can get... thank you

He will be there for 30 days. He cannot call but you may send letters (you will need his number to write by his name)and he can write back. They will give him 4 stamps if he doesn't have any money. My son was just there. When he got transfered out on a Thurs we got to visit that Sat. He will have a temporary visitation list which he needs to keep and turn in to the new location the day he transfers out. Mine stayed in ElDorado.We called ElDorado RDU and they were really helpfull. It's hard not knowing how they are and whats going on but it gets easier.This is the worst time. Hang in there.

Thank you for all your info. Ya i hope it just goes by fast. im so worried about him. Weve been dreading this whole rdu thing since the big court day. just ready for him to be in his actual prison.

godd luck with you son. i know exactly what you are going through and it is so overwealming. it does get better but its rough sometimes. my son is in prison and when he got out of rdu he went to hutch. they were real nice to me and helpful. i called and talked to his counselar and he let me come see him without even being on the visit list. maybe you can try that, godd luck and you are in my prayers

We called our cell phone company and changed his cell phone number to a number with an area code same as El Dorado. We kept his cell phone so we had an extra phone on our family plan. Draw back it does use your cell phone minutes but we will up our plan. 15 min call $2.83 30 min $3.88 Connect fee 1.78 and 7 cents a min with icsolutions prepaid Saved half on a 15 minute phone call

Default el dorado rdu

ok i know this question is sooo stupid but what does rdu mean?

Reception and Diagnostic Unit

WAITING ON MY LIFE TO FINALLY BEGIN!

If it helps you all to "see" where your loved ones are- If you go to the "map" on the jpay site and put in "Kansas" then "ElDorado" (doesn't really matter which one) RDU is the 2 "X" shaped buildings on the left side of the picture. (My friend labeled the pic for me so I would know where he was!)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by missNhim View Post
    My boyfriend was just sent to rdu this morning and im freaking out because i know nothing about it other then its to classify him for prison. I know they have lockdown thats lke 23 hours in an 1 hour out. Can someone please just give me some information.Im worried sick about him and would like all the advice i can get... thank you
    rdu is for sorting people to where they'll be also full health screenings blood work up and the whole nine yards. you have to look for the silver lining somtimes but its there. any health problems will be addressed and any kind of meds will be handled. somtimes our blessings come disguised. just hang on missnhim things will get better, after he gets to his camp then the visits help keep you centered. the best you can do is keep your head up for your man. let him know that you will stand by him and how much that he means to you. it means alot to hear that in there. my prayers are with you and yours.

Thank you for your advice j. wright. He supposed to be transferred to his actual prsosn today so hopefully things will start getting easier. Sometimes I feel like I commited the crime myself .They really victimize the families with all this. I try and stay positive for him becasue hes having a really hard time. thanks again everyone for the info because I was clueless. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you and your loved ones.

after he gets to his real camp and gets a routine set up it will be easier. it still sucks being away from you loved ones but the visits should be more relaxed. it might take a minute for his mail to catch up to his move to his permanate camp so dont worry,just keep sending. all mail and money follows his # so it will get to him. keep your head up and your faith strong. my prayers are with you and yours.

Hello, I just found this site and my Son just went to Ed Dorado 2 weeks ago. We have gotten two letters from him but no phone calls. Can you fill me in on any info you have learned about Rdu. Were feeling alittle lost becuse there in no way to find out whats going on. Its crazy, hes still my Son no matter what.
    Thanks

Hi, Well rdu is a totally confusing thing . My fiance finally got transfered out of there yesturday. I know he couldnt make phone calls for atleast a week because they have phone lists that they have to get approved before any callls are made.I guess it pribly could take longer though. plus its sometimes hard to get a phone because theres so many guys. He will get some stamps and envelopes if he didnt have any money for some.Its like 23 hour lockdown and one hour out so letters are definintly nice if you can send them.It keeps them busy.because no visits in there. They can also get cards and pictures as big as an 8 by 10. Just keep his head up as much as you can its hard in there and hell need you to be strong also. Its a slow process but once hes out it gets easier.My fiance was in there about 6 weeks. sorry im new at all this too. I hope this helped a little.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information