+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Default Sample Parole board letters

I will post two different letters to give you an idea of what to include in your letter.

Infinity's sample letter:

November 10, 2008

Department of Corrections
    Missouri Board of Probation and Parole
    1511 Christy Drive
    Jefferson City, Mo. 65101

Re: Mr.Infinity
    # (DOC # here)

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing concerning my husband, Mr.Infinity. He is scheduled for his first Parole Hearing December 18, 2008. I write this letter to let you know he has the full support and love of his family.
    My name is Mrs.Infinity, age **. My education is a Bachelor of Social Work with a Minor in Criminal Justice. My occupation is a Service Coordinator with the Missouri Department of Social Services, Division of Youth Services. I have been employed by the State of Missouri for 18 years.

Mr.Infinity and I met at the Library in August of 2006. We struck up a friendship then began dating. He was honest and up front from the beginning with his crime of *****. We married prior to his incarceration, on August 8, 2008.
    Prior to this criminal offense, he served our country in the 82nd Airborne Unit and the Chemical Warfare Unit teaching Decontamination in the US Army and is a Gulf War Veteran. After 7 years, he was medically discharged from the military. He then went into ****, attending the **** then began his **** career as a *** at **** in Jefferson City. Due to moving, he quit the **** and worked in the **** as a **** until his crime. He had no previous criminal record or arrests. He also has completed one year of college.
    Mr.Infinity takes full responsibility for his crime and has already spent 2.5 years attending *** treatment while on Probation, at his expense. Despite his mistakes, Mr.Infinity is a good person who has learned from his mistakes and when given the chance, he will be a useful and law abiding citizen.
    Mr.Infinity and I purchased a home in ****, Mo. Where we would like for him to be able to return to when released. Our home is located at *** *** St. ***, Mo. ***. Our home phone number is ****. I offer my support, advice, and encouragement to Mr.Infinity now and when he returns home.
    Mr.Infinity has adjusted well with no violations while in County jail or at the **** Correctional Facility. I am confident he will remain violation free during incarceration and when released on Parole.
    I wanted to contact you before his parole hearing to let you know Mr.Infinity is a real person, with responsibilities and obligations at home. He is not just #****.
    He has the love and support of his wife (me) and his children and step-children, his mother, and his own brothers as well as extended family on his side and mine. And a few close friends who are here for him and have been very supportive during this time to him and me.
    Thank you for your time and consideration in releasing my husband on Parole.
    Sincerely,

Mrs.Infinity
    **** St.
    ****, Mo. ***
    **** (home)
    ****(cell)

(If they have completed a treatment program, job training, educational program, or anything else while inside, include that as well. Missouri parole hearings are held in the beginning, so this was written 4 months after my husband was incarcerated, so obviously hadnt participated in anything at that time, but I did mention his good behavior and adjustment to date)

Letter #2 (I did not write this one but it is a sample letter shared by someone else):

Date:

Missouri Board of Probation and Parole
    1511 Christy
    Jefferson City, MO 65101

Re:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing today concerning my husband, Christy's husband. He isnít scheduled for a parole hearing for a few years yet, but I wanted it to be known that he still has the full support and love of his family. We are excited about the progress he has made.

He is again enrolled in GED classes at Southeast Correctional Center in Charleston, MO. He had been in classes at Potosi Correctional Center, but due to budget cuts, the education department there was disbanded and he was unable to continue with his studies. He is finally getting the extra help he has needed with the learning disabilities in SECC and has high hopes of accomplishing his goal of obtaining the GED.

He has only been in SECC since January of this year and has not yet had the opportunity to sign up for any offered classes such as anger management. As soon as they become available, he will be enrolled in those also.

One of the Captains at SECC offered Him a spot on the Captainís Crew and He has been working 5 days a week with this. He goes to school in the mornings, Monday through Thursday, and works for the Captain Wednesday through Sunday. He stays very busy and itís done wonders for his self esteem. He has adjusted well to SECC after a couple of bumps in the road early in this year. While he doesnít remain violation free at this point, he did go for almost 4 years without any violations of any kind. I am confident that he can go the rest of his sentence, with no other trouble.

As I stated before, I understand his hearing is still a few years away, but I wanted to keep in contact with you to let you know his progress and to show my support of him.

That was her letter. She writes periodically, just so they remember her name. If my husband was going to be in for a long time and hadnt been before the board yet, I think thats a great idea.

Anyway, I hope that gives some of you ideas of what they are looking for. The reason I told them about me was because I think since they are going to be coming to our home and approving Me and our Home for his home plan, they should know who I am and it also shows them I'm a stable, responsible person. (well, at least it looks that way, right? Lol)

Good luck and if you need anything else, let me know, I'll help you the best I can.
    Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over.

Veteran Member

Thanks, Infinity! So, did you really meet at the library? I can just hear your husband..."Yep, I went in to check out some books, but I ended up checking YOU out instead". What a sweet story!

(OK, one more lame library reference...his homecoming is long overdue!)
    Kathy
    A true friend walks in when others walk out

Veteran Member

LOL Kathy! Yes, we're nerds, we actually met at the library! But we were peeking over the computer monitors checking each other out, not behind the bookshelves! Tee hee hee...
    Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over.

Veteran Member

That's so sweet.... Kinda gives a new meaning to lovin' the librarian. Quite a strong resume he'll be coming home with. Hopefully he'll be able to use that to help him find work he enjoys!

Veteran Member

Thanks Texas- but he is now on VA and SS disability so he doesnt have to work. (he gets as much as month as I make working!)

He's gonna be my hot house husband! I'm going to bring home the bacon and he is going to fry it up in the pan!

Veteran Member

Thanks for your sample letters Infinity & also Moms for your PM!! Found out today that the warden recommended my boyfriend to go before the board in Feb for work release

Veteran Member

Wahoo anb! I hope he gets to see the BOP & gets that work release!
    Kathy

thank you for the sample letters. i plan on getting started on my first parole letter this weekend.
    no weapon formed against me shall prosper:

Veteran Member

Come on Feb. right Anb!!!

Thanks for the sample letters!!

I'm going to try and start writing mine this weekend, I am at a BLANK of what to say but that will help a big deal. I'll share when I'm done .
    - what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger -

Veteran Member

Right on Moms!

Infinity~I will post my letter that I wrote on here if that is ok. I wrote my own & helped to write 2 others. Let me know if that's ok before I do it.
    Life is stressful...Readjustment to "real" world takes time not only for your loved one but yourself..

Veteran Member

Sara- of course thats ok silly! The more ideas the better.

Post away....

Veteran Member

I finally wrote a letter on behalf of my boyfriend! Should I send one copy to his counselor and one to the BOP?

Veteran Member

You could, it won't hurt anb and that way they each have one.
    You never know if one will get missed placed too.

This was my letter that I wrote. Tony's counselor really liked it. Not sure if you should be this personal but I do remember that they board kinda laid into a man that had lots of letters but non of them acknowledged his victim. So that might be something to remember. But the men get a chance to speak to the board so that is something to tell your loved ones.

Iowa Board of Parole
    510 East 12th St
    Suite 3
    Des Moines, Iowa 50319

Dear Parole Board Members,
    I am writing this letter to you in regards of my husband, Tony Perez, inmate number 6432987. He is currently incarcerated in North Central Correctional Facility. I’m not sure what to say to you so I’m just going to speak from the heart and tell you how I feel.

Just a little background on myself & my husband. Tony & I met in 2001. We were both in committed relationships at the time and became fast friends. Over time both of our relationships turned sour and we began to spend more and more time together. Eventually both relationships fizzled out and we turned to each other for support & friendship.

Tony was then and still is to this very day, my best friend. He never judged me for the things that happened in my life. Nor have I judged him. Slowly over time as we got closer our friendship turned to love, at least on my side. One day I realized that I had fallen in love with my best friend. However before I could tell him that I loved him and ask if he felt the same way he was gone. I didn’t hear from Tony for about a year. When I did it was because my ex called me from Oakdale to tell me that “my man” was in Oakdale as well. That explained his absence. So I called Oakdale to get his inmate number so that I could write him.

Tony and I started to write each other and I didn’t tell him that I loved him for fear of being rejected. About five months into the letter writing I asked him to send me a visiting form. He sent it. I filled it out and mailed it back the very day that I got it. About a month later I went for my first visit. I was so nervous to see him after about eighteen months that I couldn’t even put on eyeliner. My friend had to put it on me. I got up to see him that day and it was the most nerve-racking thing that I had ever done. I sat in the Anamosa Prison visiting room so scared that he was going to look at me and turn around and run that I was shaking. But the minute that he walked thru the doors into the room and looked at me with his big brown eyes and smiled at me I was calm. He came up to me and hugged me and asked if he could kiss me. I said yes, we kissed and sat down. I knew as soon as his lips touched mine that I would spend the rest of my life with that man. About thirteen months later I married my best friend.

I’m not going to tell you that he is perfect or that we never fight or argue or disagree. I’m not going to tell you that our marriage is perfect and flawless. If I told you that I would be lying. And I don’t want to do that. I will tell you that I love my husband in spite of the bad. I love my husband with absolutely every fiber of my being.

I know that Tony has done wrong in his life and I know that his prison record isn’t 100% clean. But since I have been back in his life his record is a lot better. Also he has completed all of the recommended and required treatment courses. While in treatment he was voted Member of the Month and became Senior Coordinator. He also got his GED while he was in Anamosa. Since he has been in North Central Correctional Facility he has been involved in several things that he didn’t have to be. He took it upon himself to join the “Insiders Organization”, took the classes so that he could work with the dogs that they train for Seeing Eye Dogs, and started to attend religious services. He has gotten very good reviews from all of the jobs that he has worked. He has worked most of the time that he has been incarcerated, the exception being since his transfer to North Central Correctional Facility. He just started his job at New Age on January 26th.

Tony & I have been married for four years. During that time we have dealt with more than some couples deal with in 44 years. But thru it all we have come out stronger and better. I truly believe that Tony is going to make something of himself. He has too much drive and determination to fail. He has the support of myself and all of my friends that have seen me grow and mature in the last 5 years that Tony and I have been together. We also has the support of most of my family.

I am asking for the chance to have a “normal” marriage outside of prison walls. I am asking for the chance to walk thru a park in the rain holding his

hand, the ability to call him with good news, cry on his shoulder with bad news, have children and lay in bed with the man that I love and have
    loved for the last eight years of my life. I ask that I have the chance to spend holidays with him. I am asking to allow my best friend to come home to me. Please allow Tony the opportunity to show you that he is a changed man and allow him to come home.

Thank you for your time & consideration.
    May GOD bless you all.
    Life is stressful...Readjustment to "real" world takes time not only for your loved one but yourself..

Veteran Member

Sara, thats so sweet! You guys have been through so much. I bet Tony about cried when he read the letter you wrote to the board. Aaawwwww.....

Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing Sara.

no problem ladies. Anything I can do to help.

Veteran Member

Thanks again, Sara!

Veteran Member

anb I like your avatar!!!! ooh perty

Thanks Infinyandbeyond for the sample letter. It will be useful for me and many others, thanks again.............

Veteran Member

No prob. Tammy,s guy. Glad you found us.

Veteran Member

Thanks Moms! Its actually a picture I took driving into Rockwell on my boyfriend's birthday!

Well my husband hasn't gotten a lay down letter yet which is good, but I'm still nervous..

I just read the BOP's review for fiscal year 2009.. well, it looks like they've been denying more than they;'ve been GIVING. they are claiming they are looking out for the best interest of the public - and looking up my husbands felony with the numbers they had last year, they rose with how much the offender serves and I'm a little worried...

Not to mention my home situation just got worse - my mom lost her house (aka where I live) so I have to find a place here in the next 30 days - one that will accept my husband, and one that I can come up with on a low budget.

Oy.

Veteran Member

Til- I'm not sure what your husbands requirements are...but I know the local police have helped us with our search as well. My house does not meet his requirements, so we are moving asap once he is out on work release and can help!
    I'll be praying that you find a place soon! You could go to www.iowarentalhelp.com . They will help you find a place, and will help with moving costs, utilities, security deposit, and rent. They help you for up to 18 months I believe.

Veteran Member

Til-sorry to hear about your mom's house. Gosh, what a horrible time (winter) to have to deal with this.

The link ANB provided looks like it might be helpful. Good luck girl.

Veteran Member

Anb and til, I have a question and pardon my ignorance… Why do you have to get permission for your guy to live “there” is it because you rent? I was just curious is all. It’s not like a “city thing” is it because I’ve never heard of anyone here where I live having to do that, and I know of other people that were in prison, (Ssssshhh, it’s nothing to brag about I know but hey, lol). I was just wondering is all...

Til I’m sorry you have to find somewhere else to live and like Infinity said… especially right now, it’s too cold to move. If you lived in my town I’d let you rent from us, no problem. Good luck sweet heart. (oh god that was alittle mushy wasn’t it, but really) my heart goes out to you, dang…

Anb is the picture of - as your driving into the facility. Sad but I've only been there once, yea I'm a bad mom! But it looks like that long stretch of nothingness just before you get to the camp, it's really pretty. I'm a nut for scenery.

For him to come home now - like if my mom's house was still "hers".. I wouldn't need permission b/c she owns the house. If I rent out an apartment it has to be okay with the landlord for him to live there. I guess the parole officer checks that out from what I've heard. *shrug* I'm all new to this "parole" deal, my husband was out on bond/probation before!

Thanks moms, your sweet . I just hope I can find someone who will accept us all.. I won't be able to take my dog, so she will have to go and my husband will be heartbroken b/c he loves her so much and she loves him too.. and I guess all of this hasn't really sunken in yet, this is my HOME. I've been here for 8 years.. and it's all being taken away in less than a month. Times are tough right now... very tough. The amount of foreclosures right now is outrageous and instead of working with us, they'd rather lock the doors and throw away the key. So much for help, huh.

And speaking of help, get this.. I "MAKE TOO MUCH" to qualify for help.
    You're right, I make too much but I can't afford my house payments and my bills.
    *taps fingers*... does this make sense to any one else?
    I know I'm not the only one out there with these problems but DAMN can't they give people like me a break? I'm technically a "single" parent. I do this all on my own. I can't find a job in the field I'm trained in, so I have to take a low minimum wage zero respect job (like most of us!)

I know I shouldn't complain.. atleast my husband doesn't have anything to worry about. 3 square meals a day and he knows where he will lay his head at night. What I wouldn't do for that kind of security!!

Veteran Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, Til. Wish I could help you, dog gone it. And yes, when I was working at the hospital (with reduced hours) I was told I made $25 too much to qualify for utility help at the time. $25! And I was barely meeting expenses. So I know how frustrating the system can be. Here I was working my butt off for the small pay I was getting, & people who weren't working (by choice, not the ones who couldn't for whatever reason) could get the help where I couldn't. Life just isn't fair at times, is it?

I too was wondering what it meant to have to pass requirements for the residence when someone is on parole. Could you qualify for maybe a mobile home? If you were buying it maybe they would count that as owning the place. But then I guess you'd still have to get the park owner's permission for hubby to live there. Geez, the DOC sure throws roadblocks at these guys...

And I'll be honest, there are times I feel the same way you do about the food, housing, etc. No, I would NOT want to be locked up, but there are times when my friend W. talks about all the medical care he is getting for free & how he seems to get appointments at the U of I clinics pretty quickly & I find myself starting to resent him. It takes me MONTHS to get in there, and some of the things I need to have done aren't even covered by the IowaCare I have now, so I can't even do those. I know it would be a lot harder if it was my life partner & I was left to do it all on my own. So HUGE HUGS to all of you who hold down the fort day after day!

Good luck, til. I'll be praying something great comes along for you soon, & I'll pray that you find a place to keep the pooch until you can take her back.
    Last edited by Kathy1961; 02-01-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    Kathy

we have always been up front and honest with landlords about his past and they approved us because he told the truth, and they knew they could get a call from his parole officer, this was with our last landlord since he was on parole then and she never got a call from anyone asking about him. if you tell a landlord the situation up front im sure it wouldnt be a problem.

Veteran Member

Life isn't fair sometimes.

The whole living off state because a person can, when they're perfectly capable of working. Then there's people that can't work and really need the help, and the working man, they all suffer. Sorry subject.

Some really play the system and take advantage of it and there's people out there like you til that WORK but really need the help and deserve it but you don't meet the guidelines, you make too much MONEY and someone that doesn't make any money live on easy street. It doesn't make sense to me, it almost makes you want to quit your job just so you do qualify for help. I hope you find a way.

I guess Kathy you have to commit a crime and go away to get the health care you need, ever think about doing that? Why not?? I know, it's no joking matter sorry, I feel for you. I hate too how the state makes a person go all the way to IA City just to see a doctor now, who can afford that and what a major inconvenience.

Til coming from a lanlords point of view... I really doubt you'll be turned down at your new place. For the most part we're just worried about getting the rent on time, that's our main concern. Ofcourse there's other things we worry about to like illegal activities going on, wild parties, distruction, but I know that doesn't apply to you, you're more responsible than that. You'll be fine, it's finding the place to live that's hard isn't it. Good luck...

Veteran Member

Gee Laurie...I didn't know you had rental properties...I've lived in the duplex here since 1993, have good references from neighbors (4 different landlords in that time, lol)...

Nah, I don't think my dad would be willing to drive to a new town to take me to the grocery storel! But it sure would be nice to have a property owner who actually took care of the property. It took me a year & a half of begging til they fixed my leaking roof/ceiling. Never had carpeting replaced in 17 years, painted the place once & when I try to wash the walls the paint will wash off too. Went without a stove/oven for almost a year before they got a used one for me. Sigh. But it IS a roof over my head & I do have wonderful neighbors for the most part.

Oh well, just rambling here. But hmm...I bet B won't have a problem finding a place to rent when he decides to get his own place!

Oh, one more thing, "Moms"...years ago I went for help & was told I "fell thru the cracks" at the time. I actually had a worker tell me that he would suggest I have a child, then I could get benefits. Are you believing that?
    Last edited by Kathy1961; 02-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    Kathy

Veteran Member

I think that's what some girls do I swear Kathy, have more and more babies just so they get more benefits.

I would love a tenant like you! Yea we're slum lords. We don't make anything off them, but we are building up equity and that was our intentions, it's an investment. See when we sell, all the equity we have we'll sink into our house... It needs updating.

We've been slum lords for almost 7 years now. I don't mean to toot my own horn but we are good landlords. We work with our tenants if they're short on rent, as long as it's not on-going, and we take care of the place. If someone moves out we paint and do what ever needs to be done to keep it looking nice, we take pride in our apartments after all, it is our place too. Some of the places I've seen for rent I'd be imbarassed if I owned them.

Yea, my other son lives in one of our apartments right now but will have to move sooner or later, they've out grown it and when they do I'll bet my lil prisoner will move right in. It's a nice place, privacy fence, garage and washer and dryer hook-up, like living in a real house. I know you'd love it Kathy. We had a guy that worked for my husband live in one of our apartments for 3 and a half years who just recently moved back to your neck of the woods, you might even know him. Wouldn't that be something. After all, it is a small world...
    Last edited by Moms waiting; 02-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.

dont feel bad till i cont qualify for anything either...

you are so wonderful and amazing to care enough to post this .... THANK YOU... I HAVE TRUE LOVE FOR YOU AND THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information