+ Reply to Thread

Default My fiance is at Women's Huron Valley MI

Hey everyone, I'm new here and don't really know where to begin. My baby is at the Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in MI.. it's the only women's prison in MI, does anyone know anything about how it is there? What is quarantine like and when can she call me?

Also, I sent her an email through Jpay yesterday during the afternoon, how long until she'll get it do you guys think?

Veteran Member

Hello and welcome to J Pay, it's great to have you aboard. You will find a great group of people willing to help support and answer questions for you. I"m in Fl so don't have the info on your LO prison but I'm sure someone will come along to help. If you look your state up on the main forum there may be some information listed on the stickys. Also take a look at the DOC website for your state and they usually have loads of info. Often when they first arrive they are unable to call as they have to get phone lists approved and visitation forms but the notes you send via J Pay should be recieved the next day. Putting money on your LO books is often the most urgent thing so they can buy hygene and snacks along with paper envleopes and stamps unless you buy them through J Pay (stamps that is) Hang in there it will sort itself out
    That which does not break you only makes you stronger

Veteran Member

Welcome to J-Pay I see Corrinne gave u some really good info. Hang in there and take it 1 day at a time. Were here for u....

darlin_angel

Welcome to jpay and when I first started in here I would search the forum to see all that I could learn . Just search key words and check to make sure they are talking about your state . Take care and good luck

Hi, I don't know a lot about the Huron Valley Correctional Facility, but I did volunteer there for a few months about 4 years ago. I headed a creative writing program for some of the women there, through their education program. It was a very empowering project. I found the facility to be clean (the area I saw--which was limited) and the women I worked with were very kind and supportive of one another. It seemed like a pretty nice place--for a prison. Anyway, I just wanted to put your mind at ease.

Thanks for the kind words and for being so supportive everyone, it means a lot. I've done my time locked up and am just a couple months from completing parole, now, unfortunately my baby has to go through this drama. She only got 1-5 years with credit for 106 days, so she could be home as early as December... even earlier if she goes to boot camp. The very first thing I did was JPay her $50 and ordered her 4 books and a Sudoku from Amazon the DAY she got moved from the local county jail to WHV. I also put $25 on the phone and ordered 20 stamps and wrote her a few emails as well as sent her some letters and cards through the mail.. it's literally the most I can do for now... I know how horrible prison is for us men, but I have no idea how it is going to be for her because I know nothing about the facility she is at.

I worry about her night and day.. she is all I think about when I'm awake and when I sleep, she is in my dreams. I just want her to come home and to be ok. I really hope they provided her with an envelope when she got there (3/27/13) and that she can use the phone soon. I know it took me awhile for those things when I was in quarantine, but I don't know how different or similar the guys and girls process is.. I just hope I hear from her soon to know she's ok!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Hi and welcome,I am in PA so don't know about MI. the state site for MI had to close but I know there are groups for MI look ubder groups area. Also many post under other areas so look on those areas too such as loved ones, or parents with children in prison. just use search to look up prison

Hi Josh, I am also in MI with my LO in the U.P, I am not sure about the whole quarantine process for the womens facility if it is the same as the men's BUT if it is, Kev did not call home for the first 2 weeks he was in Jackson, and when he did he said He had a "nice C.O that allowed him to call but could only talk for a few minutes... he said he was in a cell alone for 23 hours a day, Things were really strict! He was able to recieve snail mail letters but could not write back while he was there, He was in quarantine for 30 days, If i remember right he said it could be up to 90 days depending on room and how he does, being as your LO is female she is already where she will do her time, so It may be shorter for her... i was not aware of jpay so I could not email him at that time, But now that we email back and forth when I send 1 monday thru thursday he normally gets it the next morning If I send 1 on Friday BEFORE noon he most of the time gets it that night, Friday after noon, sat and sun, he gets it monday morning or monday night, IF the mailroom does their job... If you plan on visiting her go on the mdoc site and print out a visitor app, and send it in WITH a s.a.s.e so they can send you a approval, But do it soon cause mine took 2 months to be approved, I keep the approval in the glove box cause I have heard of some saying they drove all the way there just to be told they were not approved and could not visit, when in fact they were, I am sorry I can not give you a def answer on the womens side, But i don't think it is really that much different for men or women, I will say MDOC does what they want when they want! So get ready you are in for a fight! You came to the right place for support however! This site has brought me ALOT of comfort and someone is ALWAYS here to offer advice, listen, give words of strength or help in anyway they can! I also have a 19 year old son who is on his way to prison so I am on here often, If I can help in any way please just ask! Good luck! and remember we are ALL in this together!

thanks everyone!

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jpay

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by joshm662 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm new here and don't really know where to begin. My baby is at the Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in MI.. it's the only women's prison in MI, does anyone know anything about how it is there? What is quarantine like and when can she call me?

Also, I sent her an email through Jpay yesterday during the afternoon, how long until she'll get it do you guys think?
    i am late with the welcome but i hope the PM helped you or the info you got in the group. welcome to jpay
    GOD IS SHIFTING THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute Graphics

Hi and welcome to Jpay. I do know someone in Huron Valley and as far as she tells me it is pretty laid back. There is east and west I believe she said. She is level one, I don't know what level your loved one is. Roxy was only in quarantine for 8 days, she was also 8 months pregnant. She said they was very good to her. I hope your Fiance is also doing good, sounds like you know everything else there is to know. Good luck to you both.

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jpay Josh!!!
    He's home :-)

Another one here with my loved one at Huron. I visited there last month for the first time. It seemed a very relaxed place, as prisons go... but then this is the only one I have any experience of. The guards, on the most part were friendly and at times quite helpful when needed. The visiting room was clean, though very noisy and could have been bigger...
    If anyone needs to know anything, ask. I'll do my best to find out.
    I'll be visiting her again in early Jan 2014... WOOT!

Back from my 2nd visit. Not such a relaxed place this time. The guards were jumping on us for any touching...and it quite upset her. We also got warned for X-visitation, when we spoke to one of her friends...
    Still, it was damned nice to see her again, well worth the trans-Atlantic trip. Currently planning on being back there in mid March.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by postie View Post
    Back from my 2nd visit. Not such a relaxed place this time. The guards were jumping on us for any touching...and it quite upset her. We also got warned for X-visitation, when we spoke to one of her friends...
    Still, it was damned nice to see her again, well worth the trans-Atlantic trip. Currently planning on being back there in mid March.
    i have not been to Huron Valley in a while. I know my stepdaughter is there. it is a nasty facility. the mens facility is cleaner than the women. go figure that one

Cute Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by godislove52 View Post
    i have not been to Huron Valley in a while. I know my stepdaughter is there. it is a nasty facility. the mens facility is cleaner than the women. go figure that one
    It seemed clean enough when i was there, but I only saw the reception and the visitors room...maybe they were having a bad day when you went. Or maybe I got there on a clean day!!
    I know my girl says the previous women's prison, Scotts, was much better in many ways.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by postie View Post
    It seemed clean enough when i was there, but I only saw the reception and the visitors room...maybe they were having a bad day when you went. Or maybe I got there on a clean day!!
    I know my girl says the previous women's prison, Scotts, was much better in many ways.
    oh my step daughter was as well. i did not got to see her there. she has been locked down since 2005

Cute Graphics

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information