+ Reply to Thread

Default WESTVILLE: Wanting Any/All Information

My son just arrived at Westville from RDC on 2-11-10.
    This is all new to me. (And him!!) It would help me to hear from others who have had loved ones at Westville, and what their experiences were. What is it like? That may seem like a dum question, as yes, it is a prison - but being new to all of this, I just don't have a clue what my son's days and nights are like, and I wonder about it all the time. I know that prisons are different from each other; they all have their good and bad, their different quirks, etc.
    I need to know about Westville. Any information/input/feedback/comments that anyone out there can give me, I really appreciate it so much.
    Thank you so much.

Hi,
    My fiancee was also @RDC and was sent to Westville on Feb. 8 and I havent heard from him yet.He met another inmate who he had his mother call me and say he needs money but other than that I dont know about his well being. I'm not new to having a loved 1 in prison but new to having him out of state. Sorry I'm not much help about the facility but maybe we can learn together.
    Last edited by milk dud; 02-14-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks for your reply. We can learn together. :-)
    My son called us the next day after he arrived.
    I did get an email sent to him last night through jpay, and I think that system is pretty cool. He should get the email on Monday; from what I understand they are passed out with the regular mail.
    Hopefully we will get some more response to this thread from individual who are more experienced with Westville than we are. Speaking for myself here. :-)

All for now ~ Joanie

No problem, still have'nt heard from my fiancee but I am hopeful that everything is ok and i will here from him very soon.

hey ya'll.

I have a brother who is at westville. it is actually one of the better prisons. They have alot of schooling they can do there and visiting is kind of different. Each dorm gets visits on every third day. Yes the jpay letters take a few days to get to them but it does get passed out with regular mail. If you have any more questions feel free to ask i will see if i can find out the answer.

Becky
    Becky Coy

taking one day at a time

My fiance is at Westville. I send him letters through Jpay and he gets them the next day as long as they are sent by 11:30. They do offer alot of classes there and have opportunities for time cuts. I don't have very much luck getting ahold of his counselor though. He always seems to be out of the office and doesn't return phone calls. My man works in the kitchen. He has horror stories about the cleanliness issues. But from what he tells me working in the kitchen is mandatory for the first 90 days, then after that, I don't know if they are just assigned somewhere or if they ask to work somewhere else. The prison used to be a mental institution back in the day before it was converted to a prison. I havent been to visit yet, still waiting on the forms to be approved. But that's all I know off the top of my head!! I'm glad to finally see some people that have loved ones at the same place as mine!

Cheryl's words of wisdom:
    Never let someone be your priority if they dialin YOUR phone callin you some other "chicas" name

Is there a time limit when they first get there that they can't write or call? He has been there since Feb. 8 and I still have'nt heard from him.What about commisary? Do you know if weather or not it's cheper than in the county jail? Are they able to get care packages?I sent mney through JPAY do they notify him that he has any? Do they still have to buy phone cards or can they just call collect?Sorry so many questions but I'm going crazy not knowing.
    Thanks for any info you can give

as far as I know you have to go through correctional billing services the number is 1-800-844-6591. They can not get care packages, but you can send them books if they come straight from the store (barnes&noble, amazon). They can get cards, nothing glued. So if you send them a card make sure it doesn't have something glued on it. Or one that plays sound, can't have that either. I'm not sure what your county jails comissary was like, so whether it's comparable or cheaper I don't know. But from what I seen it doesn't seem to be that expensive. They have to have headphones to hear the tv, cause they don't have speakers. Those are almost 20 dollars. They do get notified when the money shows up in their account. Whatever phone numbers that he puts on his list have to be approved before he can call, I'm not sure how long that takes. But I wouldn't imagine that it would take too long. If he just got there the 8th, I wouldn't worry yet. They are probably processin him or something like that and like I said, the phone number has to be approved. Plus, you have to set up the account with Correctional Billing Services before the call will go through. So I suggest you do that right away. The first time I set my phone up I had to pay 50.00 to start it. But now I only have to put 25.00 on it. And you can call the number and check your balance when ever you want. His calls to me are 1.75 then 25 cents each minute. Calls are only for 15 minutes. So, don't worry, get your phone set up... he'll call!!! Good luck!

Never let someone be your priority if they dialin YOUR phone callin you some other "chicas" name

thanks so much for the info. I'm going to set that phone account up right away.As for county jail he was in wayne county. once again thanks.

Default jpay letter delays

Quote Originally Posted by makala1118 View Post
    hey ya'll.

I have a brother who is at westville. it is actually one of the better prisons. They have alot of schooling they can do there and visiting is kind of different. Each dorm gets visits on every third day. Yes the jpay letters take a few days to get to them but it does get passed out with regular mail. If you have any more questions feel free to ask i will see if i can find out the answer.

Becky
    Why is there the delay in delivery of jpay emails to inmates at Westville?

My son is at Westville (WCU) administrative segregation section so a lot of things are different. Visitation is once every 14 days. The staff at the gate has been nice most of the time but there is one CO (a woman) who does the searches that I am uncomfortable with.

Those in segregation are locked in their cell 24/7/365 except for an hour for rec. They call it rec but it is the only time they can shower or shave or call home. Rec starts at 4 AM Central Standard Time so it is 3 AM my time. The cells are about 4 feet by 8 feet... maybe a bit bigger but he said it was about the same size as the visitation booth room which was small.

He has a 13" TV in his cell which is a treat for him since at Wabash Valley he was in seg for almost a year with no TV. There he only was out for 20 minutes a day for a shower.

Yes, at Westville they can receive books and magazines and I was even able to send him a NFL calendar from Amazon. But no spirals can be holding the calendar together.

He says the food is better at Westville. It is the same menu but it is just prepared and tastes better than WVCF.

I am heading there today for a visit. When a person is in segregation, visits are available daily from 9 AM to 11 AM and from 1 PM to 3 PM... two hour time blocks... but only every 14 days. He had an out of state visitor and was allowed to visit with him for both of the time blocks the day he came. They are allowed a "special visit" only once every 6 months.

Because he is in segregation he cannot participate in any of the programs or schooling which give time cuts. We are hoping that he might be able to take correspondence courses in his cell since he cannot get out to take them in the educational facility.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I will be happy to try. This was all very new to me also a year ago... so I understand...

Thanks for the information. I am happy to hear that they offer a lot of schooling - that is great. My son is wanting to get enrolled in classes as soon as he is able to. He is hoping to even possibly get a degree while he is there, and it does my heart good to know that. He is very smart and will do well in school, plus it will greatly help him to pass his time constructivly. Thanks again.
    ~ Joanie ~
    *Mother of Formerly Incarcerated Son*
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

Thank you for posting, and yes - it is very good to talk to others with inmates at Westville, for sure. I just love hearing that they have good opportunities for schooling and for time cuts - wow - music to this mama's ears. :-) I have been sending him JPay emails, and I love the convenience of it. And it is good to know that he will get them pretty quickly. I too am waiting on my "visitor application approval." I will try and remember to post here when I receive it, to give everyone an idea of how long it might take. My son said he heard that it could take up to 8-weeks and my gosh, I hope that is not the case. I am sooooo homesick to see him. Thanks for all of the information.
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

I want everyone that has a loved one at Westville to know that I just set up a group for us. I thought that this would be a good thing to do for us who have loved ones at Westville. :-)

You can find it by looking under Groups. I don't know if there is a waiting period or not for new groups, so if you don't see it right away, keep checking.
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

My son also just arrived at Westville a day or two ago. He is in an area called GSC and I don't know what that means. Do you know if I can right away set up my cell phone for him to call or do I need to wait until I fill out a form that he mails to me and his sisters? This is all very new to me and our family. Thank you for any information you and others can provide.

There is no form you need to fill out for phone calls, just for visitation. What the inmate does on their part is put your number on his call list. All you need to do is set up the account to be able to recieve the calls. It won't go through until you set up the account. I posted the number to correctional billing services in a previous reply . All you have to do is call them and set it up. If you for some reason are not sure if he will put your number on his list, I wouldn't set up the account until you know for sure.

My son arrived at Westville on february 11. He was able to call me just a few days later. I have no clue what GSC is. I am sorry. My son said that he is in a dormitory with around 60-other guys or so. He had to have money to buy a set of headphones, so that he could listen to TV. I guess they are mandatory if they want to be able to listen to TV. He is waiting to have a meeting with his counselor to discuss enrolling in classes and school. He is very anxious to get going on that. Thats about all that I have right now. I will try to post more information as I get it.
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

My boo is is in that same unit(gsc) not sure what that means eaither. He sent me a letter and said that i had to set up the phone using the house phone that he wouldnt be able to call the cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by milk dud View Post
    My boo is is in that same unit(gsc) not sure what that means eaither. He sent me a letter and said that i had to set up the phone using the house phone that he wouldnt be able to call the cell phone.
    I'm not sure if it's different for other dorms, but my fiance is in the E-dorm. All I have is a cell phone. I don't have a land line. I have my phone account set up for my cell phone. Maybe it's cheaper using a landline, I don't know. If you find out let us know

My son-in-law got sent to Westville around the first part of February also. We got the visitation forms filled out and sent back. We can't wait to see
    him as it will be the first time he gets to see his daughter. She is almost 9 months old. I don't know if he is in a dorm or a cell on his letter it has for location N2W whatever that means. I am getting the account for Evercom set up so he can talk to his wife. I wish Comcast allowed collect calls.

Thanks for posting. My son has been at Westville just since February 11. I have not received personally any letters yet from him, but he has called several times. I know he is homesick, and so am I to see him. :-(
    I got our Visitor Applications sent out about a week or so ago. I am hoping that they will not take "forever" to get us approved; I am really looking forward to that first visit when I can see him and touch him; that cannot happen soon enough for me.
    What is evercom? I called a place today called "Correctional Billing Services" to see what it was about; I thought perhaps they would be less expensive for us than the collect calls, but at least for us, that was not the case. Their charges were about the same as my son calling collect. So for now anyhow, we will just stick with the collect calls. It is always so good to hear his voice!
    Well all for now ~
    Joanie in Indiana
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

Quote Originally Posted by joanie56 View Post
    Thanks for posting. My son has been at Westville just since February 11. I have not received personally any letters yet from him, but he has called several times. I know he is homesick, and so am I to see him. :-(
    I got our Visitor Applications sent out about a week or so ago. I am hoping that they will not take "forever" to get us approved; I am really looking forward to that first visit when I can see him and touch him; that cannot happen soon enough for me.
    What is evercom? I called a place today called "Correctional Billing Services" to see what it was about; I thought perhaps they would be less expensive for us than the collect calls, but at least for us, that was not the case. Their charges were about the same as my son calling collect. So for now anyhow, we will just stick with the collect calls. It is always so good to hear his voice!
    Well all for now ~
    Joanie in Indiana
    I am new to this forum but my friend has been at Westville since 2008 so I know a bit about the place. He is in R dorm. When I send him jpays he either gets them later that day or the next day. There have been times when he didn't receive them for a few days but that is rare. I set up my calling service through Correctional Billing Services. That is the company Westville uses. I have a cell phone and my calls are three dollars and 15 cents for 15 minutes. That is the cheapest rate I have found. Recently Aramark has started delivering care packages to Westville. You can go to their website to check and see when the order has to be placed in order for it to be delivered to their dorm. I sent one package and he received it on his regular commissary day. It is kinda expensive but there are things in the packages they can't order inside. It took a month to be approved for visitation. Each dorm is different but there are programs your loved one can sign up for including education classes. Westville has four dorms I think. EC is the Educational Complex for those going to school; IC is the Industrial Complex, GSC is general services for those working in general positions and then you have R dorm which is for level 1 and 2 inmates. You can work and go to school while in R dorm. Hope that answers some questions.

Default Hello and Thanks

Thanks for your feedback; the information that you sent was helpful. I have found out since last posting that my son is in P2 - whatever/wherever that is. From what you described it sounds like he is also probably in R Dorm, seeing as he has only been there a little over a month or so. Perhaps P2 is a part of R Dorm??
    We still have not been approved for visitation, and it is soooo frustrating! It has been 4-5 weeks since they have received our Visitor Applications.....
    I keep hoping each day/week that we will hear that we have been approved.
    Well all for now. Thanks again for your feedback. I am glad that you are here. I started a group for individuals with inmates at Westville, do join if you feel so inclined, it is needing members. It is listed under Groups.
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

I have a friend at westville and we have been writing back and forth since he was first put in jail. However, since he has been in Westville he says it is not as good as the other prisons. He says that it has a lot of peeling paint and is not very sanitary. Well I guess it is a prison no less. He has been in the intake unit since he has arrived there and he has been there almost a month now. I try to write him often to keep his spirits up especially since he is bipolar. It has not been easy and it seems he has had more maniac episodes since he was transfered there.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved to visit your loved ones?

My son (who is at Westville) told us a few weeks ago that an inmate there waited for over 4-months before his visitors were approved. I think that is so wrong - terrible! My husband and I are still waiting to be approved, and we sent our applications in almost 2-months ago. :-(
    I am so homesick to see and touch my boy that I can hardly stand it. It is terrible that they make the prisoners - and families - wait so long. And we are at their mercy.
    My sister, on the other hand - my son's aunt - WAS approved a couple of weeks ago - and we sent our applications in at least 2-3-weeks before she did - go figure.....
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

ok i dont get it.you said your friend is in r-dorm? i went to the icare site and the only places in westville that i see listed are ic,ec and gs...is r-dorm part of one of these?

I appoligize if I am not posting this in the right forum. I just created my account in hopes to find info on my childs dad. He is at Westville and we have heard nothing from him in about a month. No calls or letters. This is highly unusual and I was hoping somebody could shed light on the possibilities for us?

Thank you very much!
    Teri

Veteran Member

Are u on the alert system for savin? If he was moved from there or major issues they will notify u. The whole state has been a mess for at least 2 weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Getting on the savin alert system is a good idea. Also, call Westville and ask to speak with someone in charge; they may or may not give you info on him, but it is worth a shot. My experience has been that it depends on "who answers the phone and who I talk to," on what kind of results that I get; some of the workers are very nice and helpful, and others can be very rude and un-caring. If they won't give you any information, ask them what you can do, who you can call, etc., to find out. As a general rule, I have found that if I am nice and courteous to the person on the other end, that they will be the same to me - but- not always. Good Karma!
    ~ Joanie ~
    ~ It Will Get Better. ~

Hey my friend just got sent to westville a couple weeks ago. He told me about Jpay and thats how I wrote him this time. When they write you back is it through the website or regular mail?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by katie_bug View Post
    Hey my friend just got sent to westville a couple weeks ago. He told me about Jpay and thats how I wrote him this time. When they write you back is it through the website or regular mail?
    I believe inmates at Westville can recieve jpays but have to write back via snail mail. If you look on your compose letter page on the jpay site, if you have the option to include a pre pay stamp then they can write back on jpay otherwise like I said it's the regular mail.
    Standing by someone you care about is what it's all about....standing by you till the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Scootergirl View Post
    I believe inmates at Westville can recieve jpays but have to write back via snail mail. If you look on your compose letter page on the jpay site, if you have the option to include a pre pay stamp then they can write back on jpay otherwise like I said it's the regular mail.
    Oh okay thank you

Hello everyone, I live in FortWayne, and my husband is at WestVille on IC side, if anyone wants or needs a ride to see their loved one you are more than welcome to ride with me. To have someone to ride with would be nice, also the help with the gas would be helpful. If you are interested please send me a reply I check in everyday and plan to go up on the 5th of September so please let me know. Much love Angel
    Posted via Mobile Device

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information