+ Reply to Thread

Thread: google voice

Default google voice

i am curious, is google voice really free? my inmate can call this number to my home and it won't cost anything? does anyone else use this service?
    frisco
    mommy to many, wife to my best friend

God is good all the time. all the time, God is good.

I have Google Voice but I don't use it for my friend calling me from RCF. Google Voice basically gives you a local number to the facility which then gets forwarded to a number of your choosing. This is against the rules (as explained to me by CBS/Securus) because the call terminates at a different number than the one the inmate dialled and call forwarding is not permitted. If caught, this can result in your account being blocked and the inamte losing calling privileges. I have no clue HOW they would catch you, I'm just warning you what I was told.

The calls still wouldn't be totally free, you would still need a Securus account and the calls would cost $2.95 for a local call for 30 mins. Thats a lot better than the $9 or whatever it is a long distance call costs!

I use Skype, its the same principle but there is no call forwarding involved so Securus are ok with it. Its just nowhere near are convenient - I run skype on my iPod so can only pick up calls when I am in a WiFi area like my home or office. Other people get a second line on their cellphone with the local area code. You may wish to consider that if its practical for you - I'm out of Country so it wouldn't work for me.

oh my- well i will take that seriously. i wouldn't want to lose phone rights! thank you for the heads up!
    frisco
    mommy to many, wife to my best friend

God is good all the time. all the time, God is good.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information