+ Reply to Thread

Question Indiana State Prison Minimum Security Unit-Michigan City INFO NEEDED PLEASE!

Hi,
    I am looking for some information on the Indiana State Prison Minimum Security Unit in Michigan City Indiana. According to the offender locator, my husband was transferred there from the R.D.C. (Reception Diagnostic Center) last week. I have not heard anything from him since then, and I have several questions.

1. He did have money on commisary in the County Jail before transferring over to R.D.C and then to Indiana State. I was told from the County Jail that his money would transfer from them, to R.D.C...and then finally to whatever prison he was going to be sent to. Does anyone know how long it takes for the funds to transfer?

2. He wrote me 2 letters while at R.D.C. which I did reply to, however I am assuming that he did not get them because I never heard back, and was also wondering if they were even abe to recieve return mail in that facility.

3. I set up a phone account for him to place calls using "CORRECTIONAL BILLING SERVICES". Was this the correct company to use for Indiana State Prison?

4. I wanted to send him money using the J-Pay System, however was unable to locate him in the sytem, because I only have the DOC # that he was using to write to me while in R.D.C. When I type that number DOC # into the J-Pay System, another inmate's name is showing up. I am assuming that the Indiana DOC # is not the same as the inmate number??

5. Does anyne know anything about this facility (Indiana State Minimum Security Unit)? Is it a ruff place?

I am just a little lost here, and very confused on how all of this works.
    This is all new to me, and I am very worried.
    If anone is willing to shed some light on these issues for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much in Advance!!

Hi I don't know how much I will be able to help you but I can try. As far as the money goes it will follow him, it might take a little time maybe a month. My husband was in RDC for almost a month and I didn't hear from him for 2 weeks. I sent him a letter and a money order as soon as I got an address an his DOC. As far a CBS for the phone I believe handle all the prisons, my husband told me of them in his letter from RDC. My advise on getting him money through jpay is to go to the IN.gov website and you can use his name in the locator to make sure of the DOC #. Or you can get the facility number and call them and ask if he is there and check his DOC #. I can't help as far as what that facility is like, sorry. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CCardone76 View Post
    Hi,
    I am looking for some information on the Indiana State Prison Minimum Security Unit in Michigan City Indiana. According to the offender locator, my husband was transferred there from the R.D.C. (Reception Diagnostic Center) last week. I have not heard anything from him since then, and I have several questions.

1. He did have money on commisary in the County Jail before transferring over to R.D.C and then to Indiana State. I was told from the County Jail that his money would transfer from them, to R.D.C...and then finally to whatever prison he was going to be sent to. Does anyone know how long it takes for the funds to transfer?

2. He wrote me 2 letters while at R.D.C. which I did reply to, however I am assuming that he did not get them because I never heard back, and was also wondering if they were even abe to recieve return mail in that facility.

3. I set up a phone account for him to place calls using "CORRECTIONAL BILLING SERVICES". Was this the correct company to use for Indiana State Prison?

4. I wanted to send him money using the J-Pay System, however was unable to locate him in the sytem, because I only have the DOC # that he was using to write to me while in R.D.C. When I type that number DOC # into the J-Pay System, another inmate's name is showing up. I am assuming that the Indiana DOC # is not the same as the inmate number??

5. Does anyne know anything about this facility (Indiana State Minimum Security Unit)? Is it a ruff place?

If anone is willing to shed some light on these issues for me, I would appreciate it.

hi.. i dont know much about michigan city but i will try to help also.. his mail and money will transfere to what prison he goes to... however i dont know exactly how long it will take for him to get his money.. they take there time.. im not sure what phone thing to use.. i never set anything up.. execpt threw my phone company so idk about that.. u can go to Indiana Offender Database Search and enter his name and it will tell u the correct DOC number and everything then u can use jpay once u figure it out.. everything i have heard about michigan city it is prolly the worst prison in indiana.. that its very ruff.. . i hope this helps.. any more ?'s just let me know i will try my hardest to help
    ~Melissa~ I Love Him!!!!

Smile

Thank You for your help.

Hi,

My fiance is in Michigan City, and was just transferred there from another prison, so any mail that you sent him should be sent with him or to him at MC. But Correctional Billing Services is what i use through there and it works fine but like always its expensive depending on where you live. Like the other person said if you log on to the idc gov. page and search his name it will show his DOC #, but since he was just moved it can take awhile for his information to get programmed into the system so that could be why you havent heard anything from him, im not sure if you know but they are on lockdown now and are not sure how long they told my fiance it could be up to three months but hopefully not, so cant make phone calls or use as much money. so he may not have his money for stamps in either which can take around two weeks for them to get there because he was just transferred. As for receiving mail if he was transferred from a jail you may have to wait a few weeks to be put on his mailing list because jails and prisons have completely different rules but they can recieve mail there from us mail and jpay if he uses the jpay system he has to sign up for it or something along those lines. And as for how ruff it is there, its one of the worst in the Country, its very violent and they dont get treated correctly, my fiance just told me they dont have air conditoner so its been pretty miserable for him the last few months, he said its always really loud with people screaming, yelling, and fighting day and night, he said out of all the prisons he has been to cause he has been moved around alot that its the worst. but i guess it also may depend on what level he is in i am not sure about minimum security because he is in maximum but i am sure its pretty ruff too, but i hoped i could help and hope your loved one does ok there.

Default MC minimum security

My husband was in a county before be moving to RDC. He was only at RDC for about 5 days before he was moved to ISP, Minimum Security. When I heard about the move, I flipped out. I am from that area and have heard what a horrible place it is. I tried to find out information on where my husband was, but came up with very limited information. Here is the deal, the actual prison is a maximum security place that is filled with about 80% men who are in there for murder. What I have learned is that the min security place is not behind the walls of the prison. It used to be an entirely different facility that just so happened to be on the grounds of ISP. They were merged together due to cutbacks in the recent past. Where your husband is, according to the information I have received is basically a walk in the park and the easiest time a person could possible do. It used to be called Lakeside or something like that. It is a dorm type style and most of the people there qualify to end up getting involved with work release thru the prison. Not the kind where they get a job and stay there, but rather they are moved to either South Bend or Indy. The counselor I spoke with there told me that my husband would more than likely end up at South Bend as long as he remained in good standing. I got a letter from my husband which basically confirmed all that I was told, as he claims they can do pretty much what they want, but he still had not received a job. From what I understand some that stay there keep up the grounds of the prison or can actually go to do clean up at places like the dunes which is close by. As for letters, I believe all that I sent to RDC was forwarded to him there. The money will follow, but it takes time. Not sure how long. Not sure about phone calls, since I do not have anything set up for that. Just know that if he is in MIN SECURITY for sure, he is not in the actual prison. If he is not, and is in ISP itself, that place is the absolute pits. Feel free to contact me if you would like to talk. Oh, as for his number.........it will be the same as it was in RDC. So, if you want to avoid possible troubles, send a US postal money order to the prison. It is cheaper and it will at least get to him, maybe slower, but still. Jen

I just noticed that this post is from July, so everything I just wrote, you are well aware of. Is your husband still there? What is his sentence? Maybe he is in with my husband? Let me know. Jen

I have a daughter in the processing site. Her funds took two weeks to transfer over ffrom county. If you can look up the IDOC number for him on the web, find his number, and use Jpay to email him and send some money, it would help him until the other arrives.
    http://www.in.gov/apps/indcorrection/ofs/ofs
    My daughter started to email me thru jpay the first time, and found she already had email and money on her account, and was very happy!
    Best of luck.

Geez, I really have to start looking at the dates on these things too! I'll figure this place out eventually...
    Last edited by finleybg; 03-28-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: just realized dates are old

hello, hope ypur husband is well. my son was just sent to mc minimun sec. this weekend just wanting to know more about the work release and how it works. what would be the chance that he could get moved to indy? i live in indy.

also do you know any more about the minimun sec facility. we have been real concerned

any info would be greatly appreciated

Default new to all of this

i just found out my b/f was sent there and its his first bit in doc. i was hoping that someone could let me know how all this works. money, visits, and how ruff its gonna be for him. thx

shelley

Quote Originally Posted by CCardone76 View Post
    Hi,

Ok so my boyfriend is at RDC right now. He said that it takes 6 weeks for the money to transfer from RDC to the prison.
    If he gets mail after he has left then you will get it back unless he put a request in to have his mail sent to whatever prison he goes to.
    CBS is the phone service that all indiana prison's use.
    You should be able to locate him using his doc #. Try the indiana offenders website and search his name to double check and make sure you have the right #.
    My boyfriend said he didn't want to go there cuz he said its not the place he wants to be but other than that I don't really know. Sorry.
    I hope this is helpful. Its the info that my boyfriend has told me cuz after all this is his 4th time in there but my 1st time going through all this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hello,
    Well about jpay and all questions i am not sure, but i am almost sure that everything does transfer. Also, your letters will transfer with him, they might just have to wait until he gets located to where he's going. Also, Michigan city is a rough place, but it really isnt' all that bad for visitation. the guards are pretty laid back at the check in counter. Just make sure when you go you take a 20 dollar bill, your ID and that's it. no phones you can get fined really bad if they find it on you.. i mean in the prison.. just leave it in your car. I've been going there for almost a year now.. The facility is as good as the guys make it. You stay out of people's way they stay out of yours. Make sure he just does something constructive and stays out of trouble for his time cuts if he's allowed them. let me know if i can help with anything else..
    Kj

Quote Originally Posted by Crazylyfe80 View Post
    Hello,
    Well about jpay and all questions i am not sure, but i am almost sure that everything does transfer. Also, your letters will transfer with him, they might just have to wait until he gets located to where he's going. Also, Michigan city is a rough place, but it really isnt' all that bad for visitation. the guards are pretty laid back at the check in counter. Just make sure when you go you take a 20 dollar bill, your ID and that's it. no phones you can get fined really bad if they find it on you.. i mean in the prison.. just leave it in your car. I've been going there for almost a year now.. The facility is as good as the guys make it. You stay out of people's way they stay out of yours. Make sure he just does something constructive and stays out of trouble for his time cuts if he's allowed them. let me know if i can help with anything else..
    Kj
    hi, im also new to this bit.my fiancée has been in before,doing time in Illinois.this is his first bit in Indiana and things are so different than Illinois.im really having a hard time with this, but i wont give up. am looking to hear anything you may have on the minimum unit,visiting,time cuts,etc.so new to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi i was just wondering out of curiosity how much do you know about the care packages that the inmates receive there? and how would i go about sending one? Is there a cheaper way to receive phone calls from there, because right now since i am in Lafayette the calls are consider long distance i was just wondering maybe purchasing a cell phone with a local number on it if that would work?

http://www.icaredirect.com for the care packages. I have a cell phone and I changed my number to a local number to the facility...its much cheaper.

Hi Jen,going through these posts,i see you have a husband in Lakeside,i"m new to this site and have a fiancée in there.Was just wondering if your husband was still there and how much longer he had to go,and if maybe you could answer some questions for me.Yolanda

does anyone know anything about henryville correctional im really new at this and my husband was shipped there like 2 weeks ago they let him call to tell me that they moved him and thats it i havent heard from him since. thanks

I just have a comment for those that want to get a lil insight on the different prisons in Indiana. I came across some short videos on youtube about many different prisons. If you type in lockdown in the search bar different prison titles should come up. If it doesnt show the paticular prison thaat you want you can either look at one video and then others are displayed or try typing in the prison name in the search bar. I hope this helps ...

Default Lost in Jpay

Hello, I have a friend in prison in Indianapolis and I was told I could contact him here in this website. I really don't understand how to send him messages yet. The website does not do a good job of making this easy.

Is he reading this? Can I mention his name? I guess I'll find out. The friend I am looking for is named Codie and he was from Portage, IN.

I am praying for Codie and my family can't wait for him to come home.

If this works and I find out you are reading this I will write more.

Take care,
    Love,
    Wheels

Yes you can email your loved one through Jpay if the facility that he is located at has Jpay hooked up for emailing the inmate and I think the inmate has to set up an account also but I'm not 100 percent sure. But this is not the location to do that. So he will not be able to read your email on the forum. You have to set up an account through Jpay from the home page with your email and then you set a pass code. From there you have to locat the inmate and add them to your "list". You then will have to purchase stamps and if he has an account but no stamps you are able to send him a stamp along with your email. I hope this helps... goodluck.

I was in ISO (minimum security unit) for almost 2 years. Anyone which needs accurate information can email me or post here. I hope I can help. ISO is NOT behind the wall, it can be annoying at best. The fact it is no more than a warehouse is disturbing. I met some interesting characters while there though. Jon

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information