+ Reply to Thread

Default Mayo Correctional Institution

Hello, my son just arrived at Mayo C.I. on 14 Dec. He called today and said he was doing ok. He was given a youth offender sentence so, i thought he would go to a youth facility however, Mayo is an adult facility from what i see on the D.O.C. website. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can give me about this facility. I pray that he will be ok there. Thanks in advance.

my son was just transferred there and also would appreciate any information

My son is there and there is a Youthful Offender Dorm separate from the Adult Prison. I am on the Prison Talk Online (PTO) link and they talk alot about what you need on there also. Just go to 'prison talk <dot> com' (no spaces) or **********.com (if this board allows links to show). Anyways Mayo does not seem like a bad place compared to others my son has been to (thats the YO dorm anyway). He said they recently moved him into a new dorm there. YO are subject to being put in either a YO facility or an Adult but it is based on what the DOC Classifications Officer decides (based on avail beds, etc) not the judge.
    My name is CoChese on the ********** forums. I am visiting this Friday so I can tell ya more later..
    Take Care..
    Last edited by Cochise; 12-29-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: mispelling

Thank you Cochise for that information. I will check out the other website also. When my son called the second time, he said they have the YO in a separate dorm from the other inmates. This was a big relief for me though,i still worry. I just hope he has no problems and can just do his time and come back home to the love and comfort of his family.

Default YO/Adult Prisons

Quote Originally Posted by jackie1 View Post
    Thank you Cochise for that information. I will check out the other website also. When my son called the second time, he said they have the YO in a separate dorm from the other inmates. This was a big relief for me though,i still worry. I just hope he has no problems and can just do his time and come back home to the love and comfort of his family.
    Hmm, I hope that is good for you as I have found out that anyone over 21 is usually classified by the DOC as adult and the YO status is only good for the sentencing portion, not confinement, portion of the law. Therefore, if your son is over 21, he may have received a YO sentence (less min/max punishment time)
    but could be placed in an adult prison. I found this out the hard way as my son's YO status was revoked by the judge but he is confined in a YO prison assigned by DOC and he is 19. Through readings and discussions with others, when he turns 21, he will go to the adult side or be relocated to an adult prison. However, he should be getting out by then, thank the Lord... Most people agree that the adult prisons are easier..

I am wondering if your loved ones in Mayo Correction are complaining about the 'quality' of meals and have you noticed your loved ones losing weight due to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon S View Post
    I am wondering if your loved ones in Mayo Correction are complaining about the 'quality' of meals and have you noticed your loved ones losing weight due to this?
    Yes, my son has complained, but fortunately for him I have a generous commissary account set up for him through Jpay and he buys canteen food most times. But when he has to eat the prison stuff, he said it is very "Nasty". I never heard of any prison that served good tasting food tho..

Last time I visited him (Jan 1), he did not look as if he lost weight. He is rather big (6'0 and 200lbs) and I probably would have noticed if he did lose weight.

My son is at mayo and he says that the so-called meat is realy some kind of soy patty. So I make sure to to keep $$ in his account so he can get the stuff he wants. My son is on the adult side and seems to be doing well, he's 20. And yes I have noticed the weigh lose.

I was wondering approximately how much needs to be put in their accounts?? and yes my son continues to lose weight and tells me that he is eating all meals..

Ah, my son does well on what I gave him for allowance while he was out. So if you gave him a weekly allowance, that should do. I setup a biweekly recurring payment on j-pay.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information