+ Reply to Thread

Angry Felon Friendly Apartments in Denver??

I am now looking at only 6 more months until my significant other is released, it's frusterating to find that it is very difficult to find a place that is willing to allow someone with a felony to move in. Options?

Veteran Member

Craigslist and private landlords. They rarely check criminal history. We've never had a problem especially in Capitol Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lboogy View Post
    I am now looking at only 6 more months until my significant other is released, it's frusterating to find that it is very difficult to find a place that is willing to allow someone with a felony to move in. Options?
    You can just not tell him. I rented a apt for my son in my name and he paid the rent. They never knew that i wasnt there and he was. Maybe because there were a lot of apts. But know one every found out. Its frustrating when they are labled :Felon: And basically cant live. Cant find a job and cant rent a place to live. People dont understand that some people make mistakes but learn from them and want to just live there life like everyone else. Maybe once they are out on parole or released the state has a list of places that accept felons. Hope you find something soon. Good luck

Veteran Member

It's really not as hard as you think. If they think it will be impossible to live or work, it will be. Try to be positive. My hubby has 7 felonies over a 15 year period and he's never had a problem with a job or apartment. As for your son, there's a zero percent vacancy rate in the Denver metro area, rents are high and landlords can afford to be picky. Most complexes require anyone over 18 to be on the lease...one way they figure it out is by keeping an eye on the mailboxes. If they see him picking up mail and coming and going all of the time, it will raise suspicion.

I've had my place for years and just don't have my husband on the lease. Most places don't care as long as rent is paid on time and you keep quiet and don't draw attention to your apartment I don't see how you would have trouble. Parole does not contact leasing office to verify this person lives there.

I am in the same position. My current apartment complex won't allow anyone with a record to sign a renter's agreement. I'm just to afraid to risk any sort of problem and will have to find a privately owned place if he's allowed to parole here.

Backing up a step, what if you are trying for an interstate transfer? I would imagine the investigating process ( if they have one?) to determine if you're place would be suitable for the transfer then the parole people would ask the leasing office? Or no?? Would I ahve to already be living in place that allows people with a record to rent?

Quote Originally Posted by GPHop622 View Post
    I've had my place for years and just don't have my husband on the lease. Most places don't care as long as rent is paid on time and you keep quiet and don't draw attention to your apartment I don't see how you would have trouble. Parole does not contact leasing office to verify this person lives there.
    exactly its almost like a dont ask dont tell policy. And if you keep to your self and not cause any attention there should not be a problem.

glendiana2011

Wow, that is terrible to hear that you can't rent an apartment because of the criminal history. I was debating on selling my home to cut down on bills because my house payment is high but now I better rethink it because I don't want to have a difficult time finding a place to live if landlord are going to discriminate against my baby being a felon.

Veteran Member

A lot of commercial apartment complexes figure out who's living in the apartment by keeping an eye on the mailbox. If they see someone other than the "official" lessee picking up the mail, they usually figure out there's another adult living there. Most apartments require anyone over the age of 18 to be on the lease and most of them do criminal background checks for liability reasons, i.e., a sex offender rapes a tenant, they can sue and say the SO shouldn't have been allowed to live there because he was dangerous. Yes, people have sued and won under those circumstances.

Don't parole officers require a form to be filled out by the "owner" of the home when they come home?? I was having the same problem, wanting to be honest and up front didn't seem to get me anywhere. I finally decided to ask my current landlord and they agreed because they "like ME and trust ME". My husband says he will have to have a released signed by owner of wherever he was being paroled to...no?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by devoted View Post
    Don't parole officers require a form to be filled out by the "owner" of the home when they come home?? I was having the same problem, wanting to be honest and up front didn't seem to get me anywhere. I finally decided to ask my current landlord and they agreed because they "like ME and trust ME". My husband says he will have to have a released signed by owner of wherever he was being paroled to...no?
    No that's not true. The only paperwork you will get is the parole sponsor paperwork which you need to fill out. There's nothing on it about the property where he resides. Some PO's will visit the landlord if possible just to be asshats but for the most part no, they don't care unless it's a huge criminal environment or something.

darlin_angel

Ok I see no one has opened this one what if they are a SO and have to register what do you do then ?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by darlin_angel View Post
    Ok I see no one has opened this one what if they are a SO and have to register what do you do then ?
    It's no different. The police still don't go around telling landlords there's an SO living in the neighborhood although you can google SO locations if someone wants to. Unfortunately a lot of the time those results are very inaccurate. When they register, they're required to do it on a certain day (Denver does felony offenders on a different day than misdemeanor offenders). They're all required to re-register on their birthday every year as well as being required to register again if they move.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information